Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Minors play Wexford in Carrick on Friday at 7pm. Admission is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

How come this is not in the GAA section? Anyone got an opinion on Lar Corbett being missed for the Limerick game? I think it'll be interesting to see how they play without him, I don't think they should play him against Kilkenny anymore, they have got the better of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Minors played cork last night in semple and won 1-15 to 13 pts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Comordha wrote: »
    How come this is not in the GAA section? Anyone got an opinion on Lar Corbett being missed for the Limerick game? I think it'll be interesting to see how they play without him, I don't think they should play him against Kilkenny anymore, they have got the better of him.
    Don't rule out Lar for the Limerick game just yet,he could still make it.

tippspur wrote: »
    Don't rule out Lar for the Limerick game just yet,he could still make it.

Okay maybe he will but do many of you think he has a part to play this year in the Championship? Would anyone agree that he is more of a liability against Kilkenny than useful? They seem to have his number at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Tipperary Senior Football team to play Kerry in Killarney on Sunday is -: Paul Fitzgerald (Fethard), John Coghlan (Moyne-Templetuohy), Paddy Codd (Killenaule) capt., Ciaran McDonald (Aherlow), Robbie Kiely (Arravale Rovers), Donagh Leahy (Arravale Rovers), Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers), George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers), Robbie Costigan (Cahir), Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen), Ian Fahey (Clonmel Commercials), Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers), Alan Moloney (Rockwell Rovers), Barry Grogan (Aherlow), Philip Austin (Borrisokane). Championship debuts for John Coghlan and Ian Fahey. Hoping for a good performance and best of luck to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Comordha wrote: »
    Okay maybe he will but do many of you think he has a part to play this year in the Championship? Would anyone agree that he is more of a liability against Kilkenny than useful? They seem to have his number at this stage.

We have absolutely zero chance of beating KK without Lar, you have to score goals to beat them and Lar is the best goalscorer in Hurling ATM and Tipp's record goalscorer of all time.

"Lar is the best goalscorer in Hurling ATM ", not so sure about this.
    When was his last Championship goal? It was a long time ago to be fair. I would try someone else like PA Bourke against them and see how he gets on. Corbett just seems to lose the plot against them, would love to see him back putting goals away though.

We have absolutely zero chance of beating KK without Lar, you have to score goals to beat them and Lar is the best goalscorer in Hurling ATM and Tipp's record goalscorer of all time.

I see your point as we dont exactly have goalscorers in abundance but Lar will have to contribute more against Kilkenny then he has in the last two finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

I see your point as we dont exactly have goalscorers in abundance but Lar will have to contribute more against Kilkenny then he has in the last two finals.

ya exactly and not just against kk.a man of his talent should be ripping lesser teams to shreds but he just seems content to sail through games happy if things work out and if not ah well.id love to see the lar that gets the ball and then takes off in full flight like he did for sarsfields last year and against galway this year.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

buggy beag wrote: »
    ya exactly and not just against kk.a man of his talent should be ripping lesser teams to shreds but he just seems content to sail through games happy if things work out and if not ah well.id love to see the lar that gets the ball and then takes off in full flight like he did for sarsfields last year and against galway this year.:)
    I agree completely..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tipperary Senior Football team to play Kerry in Killarney on Sunday is -: Paul Fitzgerald (Fethard), John Coghlan (Moyne-Templetuohy), Paddy Codd (Killenaule) capt., Ciaran McDonald (Aherlow), Robbie Kiely (Arravale Rovers), Donagh Leahy (Arravale Rovers), Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers), George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers), Robbie Costigan (Cahir), Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen), Ian Fahey (Clonmel Commercials), Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers), Alan Moloney (Rockwell Rovers), Barry Grogan (Aherlow), Philip Austin (Borrisokane). Championship debuts for John Coghlan and Ian Fahey. Hoping for a good performance and best of luck to all involved.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing some more Mid men on the team. Any word of the subs.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

I would say that Hugh Coghlan and Lorcan Egan are the mid men in the subs. Saw the full list. but cant lay my hands on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

What Tipp forward can you say any different about?? People seem hell bent on putting Lar up as a scapegoat when the reality is that in last years AI semi and this years League Final not a single Tipp forward has performed adequately in 140 mins of hurling.

Also see people are conveniently ignoring he's league performance against KK this year when he was the best forward between both teams.

People will say he has brought this on himself with the book etc. but I don't accept that, i think the timing was ill advised fair enough but anyone that believes we are in aposition to put out 6 better or more effective forwards this summer knows something I dont because I dont see them.

Fwiw my six would be -

Bonner Seamie Callinan John O'Brien

S Bourke Eoin Kelly Lar Corbett

What Tipp forward can you say any different about?? People seem hell bent on putting Lar up as a scapegoat when the reality is that in last years AI semi and this years League Final not a single Tipp forward has performed adequately in 140 mins of hurling.

Also see people are conveniently ignoring he's league performance against KK this year when he was the best forward between both teams.

People will say he has brought this on himself with the book etc. but I don't accept that, i think the timing was ill advised fair enough but anyone that believes we are in aposition to put out 6 better or more effective forwards this summer knows something I dont because I dont see them.

Fwiw my six would be -

Bonner Seamie Callinan John O'Brien

S Bourke Eoin Kelly Lar Corbett

Id agree with you. Hence thats why i said we may not be in a position to drop him as we dont have goalscorers in abundance and FWIW Callanan is far worse if you ask me. He has alot more bulk then Lar but no fight in him whatsoever. The league final we had 3 forwards doing nothing and 3 living on scraps.

Hopefully we'll get a good crop of brave physical lads out of the underage teams in the next few years. The reality is we wont win any All irelands if we have lads unwilling to stand up for themselves. If they are just going to take it and go into a shell every time they get a dig then we're at nothing.

Agree with most of what you say, would go with same 6 with Pa Bourke a close second for Callanan or Corbett.

Pa bourke just doesn't have the bottle, lovely stickman but no fight and sad to say many of the tipp forwards are in the same boat, unless we can find another bonner who can work hard and someone who can score goals we'll always be playing second/third fiddle In the country.

I was hoping he would toughen up over time but you are probably right. Beautiful stickman. I think Shane Bourke has the bottle, hopefully he beefens up a bit more as he'll need to. Bonner is probably the standout fighter and essential element of the whole setup, some man. Have to share one of my favourite Bonner moments & a great goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ahVl3jThs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Surprised to see everyone happy to leave Noel McGrath out of the team, i thought he did well in the league final as a third midfielder but my preference for him would be at centre forward, great vision and i think he could be the playmaker we need up there, picking smart passes and taking his own score when its on.
    He needs to put in a bigger shift when he isn't in possession but O'Shea is the type of manager players will go the extra mile for and i'd be expecting a big year from Noel, he has all the potential required

Pa bourke just doesn't have the bottle, lovely stickman but no fight and sad to say many of the tipp forwards are in the same boat, unless we can find another bonner who can work hard and someone who can score goals we'll always be playing second/third fiddle In the country.

Seen our minors beat Wexford down in Carrick tonight by around 9 or 10 points (Cant remember final score) but i noticed the spine going down through the middle of the team.

Jason Ryan (Toom) at fullback, Ronan Maher at centre, Tom Kirwan in midfield, Josh Keane centre forward and Colm O'Riordan in full. All big physical hurlers that love a tussle.

O'Riordan and Kirwan in particular are two determined lads that love the physical side of things. If anything Kirwan maybe needs to calm down and i believe when Colm was a 15 year old minor footballer 2 year ago, a Meath footballer refused to give him water so Colm became so vexed at this he drove the bottle flying out of his hand and went on to play a stormer.

Thats the type of character Tipp need in the future. Definately a healthy future in the pipeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

3-19 to 0-19 in favour of Tipp. Some point by the Wexford player from a sideline from 65+ yards.

Agree with you tipp_gunner the spine of the team looks good hopefully they can go on and bring home the munster and all Ireland, have to say limerick are quietly confident of taking us.... As are Waterford if we make to final as they think they haven't played to there optional in the first round against us.
    Kirwin a fine player but plays on the border, saw him play a minor club match v cahir last year and for the life of me he should have been sent off 3-4 times in the match.

looder wrote: »
    3-19 to 0-19 in favour of Tipp. Some point by the Wexford player from a sideline from 65+ yards.

Even the Tipp management were absolute awestruck by it. It was unbelievable though Babs is probably asking for a lighter sliothar as we speak

Agree with you tipp_gunner the spine of the team looks good hopefully they can go on and bring home the munster and all Ireland, have to say limerick are quietly confident of taking us.... As are Waterford if we make to final as they think they haven't played to there optional in the first round against us.
    Kirwin a fine player but plays on the border, saw him play a minor club match v cahir last year and for the life of me he should have been sent off 3-4 times in the match.

He certainly plays on the edge but in saying that, if certain other counties can get away with cynics and are then widely lauded in the media then its about time we started producing a few of our own and see how they all like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

He certainly plays on the edge but in saying that, if certain other counties can get away with cynics and are then widely lauded in the media then its about time we started producing a few of our own and see how they all like that :)

Funny coming from a Tipp man, especially considering how lauded Hell's Kitchen still are and how tough the current Tipp side :)

Not sure teams can afford to pick lads on the basis they're tough or cynical anymore, they have to be able to hurl at a high level as well.

randd1 wrote: »
    Funny coming from a Tipp man, especially considering how lauded Hell's Kitchen still are and how tough the current Tipp side :)

A very weak counterargument really. Every team was tough in the era of Hells kitchen. It was kill or be killed. Eddie Keher himself was no shrinking violet.

As for your argument about the current Tipp side being dirty (or at least being anywhere near your lot in that terms), you have very little substance to form a case against us. Benny Dunne incident in 09 (a result of provocation) and Padraic Maher last year (though it seemed the Rice incident was a genuine accident, Reid not so much). Your also forgetting the dunt Lar took below the eye in last years semi from Mr Tyrell but that will be conveniently lost.
    And then we get to this years league final where it wasnt enough that they were keeping Larry out of the game, 3 brave men decided to attack him while he was defenceless on the ground.
    randd1 wrote: »

Not sure teams can afford to pick lads on the basis they're tough or cynical anymore, they have to be able to hurl at a high level as well.

No one can predict how Tom Kirwan's intercounty career will pan out but on top of being a fantastic prospect both skill and physicality. Im sure we're entitled to feel somewhat optimistic about his prospects and the best of luck to him with that. His physical edge is certainly one factor Tipp need going forward.

Tom Kirwan is only 18, but I have my doubts if he will ever be a senior county player in either hurling or football. He has ability, but is very inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Good luck to our footballers in today's clash with Kerry - playing their first championship game against them for the fourth successive year. How tough is that? Our footballers haven't won their first championship outing in nine years - what are the chances of changing that today? Slim, I suppose. Good luck especially to Paddy Codd. The Killenaule man leads Tipp out today - strange, in that Killenaule is predominantly a hurling club. Some of our lads look a bit green yet to be going in against the experience of the Kingdom players. Good luck to them all, they really do deserve a break at this level. Maybe it won't come until all those fine young footballers mature in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Good luck to our footballers in today's clash with Kerry - playing their first championship game against them for the fourth successive year. How tough is that? Our footballers haven't won their first championship outing in nine years - what are the chances of changing that today? Slim, I suppose. Good luck especially to Paddy Codd. The Killenaule man leads Tipp out today - strange, in that Killenaule is predominantly a hurling club. Some of our lads look a bit green yet to be going in against the experience of the Kingdom players. Good luck to them all, they really do deserve a break at this level. Maybe it won't come until all those fine young footballers mature in a few years time.

Hope that Barry Grogan puts in plenty of effort, maybe he will as Michael Quinlivan is injured (ankle). Hope that the effort of the team will be appreciated by the traditional hurling fans. Hope they watch it on tele at least, as we know they won't be travelling. If this game was being played in Thurles, Kerry would have more supporters there than Tipp. Anyway I hope we are on our way to being a dual county.

Best of luck lads ye show great heart every year, keep it up guys and I hope ye get the bounce of the ball today.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Well done the junior footballers.....the hurlers drew with Galway today in a friendly.

Advertisement