Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Brilliant display from the Tipperary in the Junior match today. They beat Kerry by 1-15 to 0-11 with team captain Benny Hickey oustanding. It must be many years since Tipp beat Kerry in any Championship match by 7 points. The graph of Tipperary football continues to rise. Good times ahead I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

As for your argument about the current Tipp side being dirty

I never said they were dirty, I said they were tough. Big difference.
    (or at least being anywhere near your lot in that terms)

Again, I would class our lot as tough, not dirty. And we're no better, or worse, than anyone else out there in those terms either.
    And then we get to this years league final where it wasnt enough that they were keeping Larry out of the game, 3 brave men decided to attack him while he was defenceless on the ground

First off, it is the job of the defense to keep Lar out of the game. You hardly expect them to allow him to what he wants.
    Secondly, Lar got involved in the incident himself, the umpires saw it and he received a red as a result. He was hardly defenseless.
    Thirdly, Lar also gave Brian Hogan the butt of the hurl into his ribs from behind about two minutes beforehand. The epitome of bravery.
    Fourthly, Lar was still trying to hit people when he was on the ground. He was hardly defenseless so.
    And lastly, where were his team-mates to help him out? The Kilkenny lads were quick enough to help out their lad. That's why there was three to one.

That incident was down to two lads being out of order, and getting their just desserts when caught out. Don't make it out to be any more than what it was, which was Delaney and Corbett losing the rag and and having a go at each other. There was no-one defenseless in it, both were culpable, they wouldn't have got a red card each otherwise.

randd1 wrote: »
    First off, it is the job of the defense to keep Lar out of the game. You hardly expect them to allow him to what he wants.
    Secondly, Lar got involved in the incident himself, the umpires saw it and he received a red as a result. He was hardly defenseless.
    Thirdly, Lar also gave Brian Hogan the butt of the hurl into his ribs from behind about two minutes beforehand. The epitome of bravery.
    Fourthly, Lar was still trying to hit people when he was on the ground. He was hardly defenseless so.
    And lastly, where were his team-mates to help him out? The Kilkenny lads were quick enough to help out their lad. That's why there was three to one.

That incident was down to two lads being out of order, and getting their just desserts when caught out. Don't make it out to be any more than what it was, which was Delaney and Corbett losing the rag and and having a go at each other. There was no-one defenseless in it, both were culpable, they wouldn't have got a red card each otherwise.

I never suggested they should give him the run of the park but im suggesting that not content with being in the driving seat, your lads decided to needlessly get even nastier and suggesting that both parties were equally culpable is rubbish. One player ended up with fractured ribs....and it wasnt a Kilkenny man.
    The fact our lads probably didnt rush to help is because they expected Lar and JJ to sort it out themselves and not 2 jumping in to help JJ

Were going to have to agree to disagree.

Brilliant display from the Tipperary in the Junior match today. They beat Kerry by 1-15 to 0-11 with team captain Benny Hickey oustanding. It must be many years since Tipp beat Kerry in any Championship match by 7 points. The graph of Tipperary football continues to rise. Good times ahead I would say.

Great stuff. Bit of positive news. The seniors really need to start pushing on though. Theyve rapidly regressed since their stint in Div 2. They have suffered two relegations and blew promotion this year. Time to start justifying the investment being put in.

Well done the junior footballers.....the hurlers drew with Galway today in a friendly.

Was at the game. 1st half was good stuff but the second half suggests that our panel is weak on the ground should we suffer a spate of injuries. Time will tell. Great intensity for a challenge. Two of them went hammer and tongs. Brilliant stuff and all for a fiver....Hurling really is the greatest game on earth.

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    Hope that Barry Grogan puts in plenty of effort, maybe he will as Michael Quinlivan is injured (ankle). Hope that the effort of the team will be appreciated by the traditional hurling fans. Hope they watch it on tele at least, as we know they won't be travelling. If this game was being played in Thurles, Kerry would have more supporters there than Tipp. Anyway I hope we are on our way to being a dual county.

Best of luck lads ye show great heart every year, keep it up guys and I hope ye get the bounce of the ball today.

Sadly were a long way off cementing our place as a football stronghold. Not for lack of effort in fairness but i think the more of the All Ireland minor winners we can phase in over the next few years the better in the long run as they are technically better footballers.

I suppose the process is not going to be instantaneous but i still believe Tipp will get there some day.

Our biggest challenges in terms of football though is the fact we have young lads good at both hurling and soccer on top of being excellent footballers.

Yesterday started off very well for Tipperary football with the juniors fine win over Kerry by 1-15 to 0-11, but the senior game was just awful from a Tipp point of view. One step forward, followed by 2 steps backwards. I would not have great hopes for the qualifiers, unless we get a very favourable draw, but hopefully the juniors and minors will give us some cheer as the season progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

I never suggested they should give him the run of the park but im suggesting that not content with being in the driving seat, your lads decided to needlessly get even nastier and suggesting that both parties were equally culpable is rubbish. One player ended up with fractured ribs....and it wasnt a Kilkenny man.
    The fact our lads probably didnt rush to help is because they expected Lar and JJ to sort it out themselves and not 2 jumping in to help JJ

Were going to have to agree to disagree.

I suppose we'll have to as I think you're being a bit over-generous to Lar on this one.

Lets leave it that we'll never agree on this issue and leave it amicably rather than drag it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Really disappointed with the footballers at the weekend. Despite the magnitude of the opposition they let themselves down with some fundamentals of play: misplaced passes, wide balls, long periods with no scores and space given. All these sins were committed grievously. Their cumulation ended the game at half time. Not to take away from Kerry's performance which was very good (Cooper, Maher, Donoghue, and Donaghy all fine) but surely we're a better outfit than what we performed.

Tipp hurlers drew with Galway in a challenge. I'm really pleased Bergin played well again (you have to figure he's in contention to start come two weeks) and the bauld Patrick Maher managed a point, stunning. Report below by Brian McDonnell printed in the Tipperary Star.
    Tipperary 1-21 Galway 2-18

Eamon O’Shea’s Tipperary senior hurlers continued their preparations for a Munster semi-final clash with Limerick at Páirc na nGael on Sunday, June 9th with a challenge game against Galway on Sunday morning in Cloughjordan.

Ultimately the game finished all square. Tipperary hurled well in the opening half and led 1-15 to 1-7 at the break, but once a number of alterations were made the Premier struggled to contain Galway and lost the second half by a reasonably significant eight points.

For Tipperary Conor O’Mahony gave an exhibition in the opening half while Michael Cahill and Kieran Bergin were superb in defence. Shane McGrath looked very sharp at midfield while Séamus Callanan led the line at full-forward with both Pa Bourke and Noel McGrath also impressing.

Points from Johnny Ryan and Pa Bourke set Tipperary on their way before Andy Smith responded for Galway. Tipp enthusiastically set about their business thereafter with points from Séamus Callanan (two), James Woodlock and Noel McGrath helping the home side into a 0-6 to 0-1 lead.

Galway fought back with a Conor Cooney point before Joe Canning buried a 21-yard free in the 12th minute - 0-6 to 1-2.

Tipperary responded well, however, with points from Brian O’Meara and Pa Bourke acting as a preamble to a superb goal in the 14th minute when Patrick Maher gathered Noel McGrath’s diagonal delivery and buried a left-handed shot in the top corner - 1-8 to 1-2.

Galway fought back with a Barry Daly effort, but Tipperary were utterly dominant with points from Séamus Callanan, Pa Bourke and Patrick Maher following a superb pass from Conor O’Mahony helping the Premier into a 1-11 to 1-3 lead. Conor Cooney managed a fine Galway point into the breeze in the 26th minute, but Tipp fired three points in response to lead 1-14 to 1-4. To be fair Galway did close out the half in enterprising fashion hitting three points to Tipperary’s one with Conor Cooney catching the eye. Indeed, Cooney managed four points from play in the opening half.

Half-time: Tipperary 1-15 Galway 1-7.

Two Joe Canning points and an effort from Tadhg Haran cut Tipperary’s lead to five points before John O’Keeffe landed a cracker from distance in the 44th minute to help the Premier into a 1-16 to 1-10 lead. Joe Canning (free) and John O’Dwyer then traded points before Joe Canning lashed home a 21-yard free in the 53rd minute. Efforts from Bernard Burke and Damien Hayes added to the Galway tally and with fifteen minutes to play Tipp’s lead was down to one - 1-17 to 2-13.

Tipperary had lost the opening twenty minutes of the second half 0-2 to 1-6, but Séamus Callanan settled his side with a superb point in the 56th minute.

Tadhg Haran and Thomas Stapleton then traded points before a superb Michael Cahill point with seven minutes to play left three between them - 1-20 to 2-14.

Galway kept coming however with points from Bernard Burke and Joe Canning leaving the minimum between them in the 66th minute. Séamus Callanan brought the scoring to a close with a free in the 67th minute, but Galway poured forward in search of late scores with points from Johnny Coen and then a Joe Canning free earning Anthony Cunningham’s men a draw.

Galway almost stole in for a match-winning goal in the 69th minute, but Brendan Cummins denied Conor Cooney and then Damien Hayes with a sensational double save.

Tipperary: Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange), Donagh Maher (Burgess), James Barry (Upperchurch-Drombane), Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields, 0-1), Conor O’Brien (Éire Óg Annacarty), Conor O’Mahony (Newport), Kieran Bergin (Killenaule), Johnny Ryan (Drom & Inch, 0-2, 0-1 free), Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch, captain), Patrick Maher (Lorrha, 1-1), James Woodlock (Drom & Inch, 0-1), Pa Bourke (Thurles Sarsfields, 0-4), Brian O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonagh’s, 0-1), Séamus Callanan (Drom & Inch, 0-7, 0-3 frees), Noel McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney, 0-1). Subs: (HT) John O’Keeffe (Clonoulty-Rossmore, 0-1) for Conor O’Mahony, (HT) John O’Dwyer (Killenaule, 0-1) for Noel McGrath, (46th) Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons, 0-1) for Shane McGrath, (59th) Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone) for John O’Dwyer, (61st) Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons) for Eoin Kelly.

Galway: Colm Callanan, Fergal Moore, Shane Kavanagh, Kevin Hynes, Aidan Harte, Joseph Cooney, Johnny Coen (0-1), Barry Daly (0-1), Andy Smith (0-1), James Regan, Jonathan Glynn (0-1), Cyril Donnellan, Damien Hayes (0-1), Joe Canning (2-5, 2-3 frees), Conor Cooney (0-4). Subs: (16th) Aonghus Callanan for James Regan, (25th) Brian Flaherty for Barry Daly, (HT) Tony Óg Regan for Joseph Cooney, (HT) Tadhg Haran (0-2) for Cyril Donnellan, (HT) Bernard Burke (0-2) for Aonghus Callanan, (45th) Barry Daly for Andy Smith, (51st) Pádraig Breheny for Barry Daly, (56th) Jason Grealish for Brian Flaherty, (66th) Niall Donoghue for Jonathan Glynn, (68th) Darragh Burke for Kevin Hynes, (70th) Seán Skehill for Fergal Moore.

Referee: Brian Gavin (Offaly).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Ticket prices for the Limerick game have been released, a bit on the expensive side in my opinion

Ticket Details
    Covered Stand: Adult €30, Juvenile €5
    Uncovered Stand: Adult €25, Juvenile €5
    Terrace: Adult €15

http://www.tipperary.gaa.ie/latestnews/munsterseniorhurlingchampionshipsemifinal%E2%80%93limerickvtipperary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

marvin80 wrote: »
    Ticket prices for the Limerick game have been released, a bit on the expensive side in my opinion

Ticket Details
    Covered Stand: Adult €30, Juvenile €5
    Uncovered Stand: Adult €25, Juvenile €5
    Terrace: Adult €15

http://www.tipperary.gaa.ie/latestnews/munsterseniorhurlingchampionshipsemifinal%E2%80%93limerickvtipperary

A bit expensive all right when you consider that you'd need binoculars to see anything from the Mackey Stand! If you're not seated in the section at the half-way line you'll get eye-strain trying to see what's happening in the far corners.

Steep prices. It's a €5 increase on tickets last year (the covered stand at least). Last season I got a student discount which was great but since graduating, no more discount. Maybe I'll pay the €25 into the other stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Steep prices. It's a €5 increase on tickets last year (the covered stand at least). Last season I got a student discount which was great but since graduating, no more discount. Maybe I'll pay the €25 into the other stand.
    Go for the terrace, shur ya might get a tan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

GerB40 wrote: »

We always go to the terrace, there'll be six of us, we've been travelling together for last 8years and I think €15(3 lads not working) is enough especially if we get to the latter stages of the championship when the big money comes in when heading to jackeen heaven. We're not living in the premier county anymore we're in exile in cork Kerry and limerick so transport is another factor. So no local Gaa membership(handy for cheaper tickets)
    But hey the Gaa don't give a fcuk who they screw over!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tipperary County Board seem to still living in the pre property crash era, or pre the bail out era if you like. We members of Tipp GAA should ask for more accountability of where the money is being spent or more accurately misspent.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Anyone able to help me out on something.

Can a list of Senior Hurling and Senior Football Clubs be posted here and state what division they are in.

Senior Football Clubs -
    Mid - (4) JK Brackens; Loughmore-Castleiney; Moycarkey-Borris; Moyne-Templetuohy.
    West - (4) Aherlow; Arravale Rovers; Eire Og; Galtee Rovers,
    South - (9) Ardfinnan, Cahir, Clonmel Commercials, Clonmel Og, Fethard, Killenaule, Kilsheelan-Kilcash, Moyle Rovers, Mullinahone.
    There are no Senior Football Clubs in North Tipperary, but 2 group teams play in the North Championship and County Championship - Fr. John Kenyons and Thomas McDonaghs.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

does anyone know if the tipp fans are in a certain terrace in limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Senior Football Clubs -
    Mid - (4) JK Brackens; Loughmore-Castleiney; Moycarkey-Borris; Moyne-Templetuohy.
    South - (9) Ardfinnan, Cahir, Clonmel Commercials, Clonmel Og, Fethard, Killenaule, Kilsheelan-Kilcash, Moyle Rovers, Mullinahone.
    There are no Senior Football Clubs in North Tipperary, but 2 group teams play in the North Championship and County Championship - Fr. John Kenyons and Thomas McDonaghs.

does carrick have any football team do you know?

Carrick Swans went down to Intermediate for 2013. Carrick Davins are Junior.

• Advertisement

GerB40 wrote: »

Rather the side views, don't see much attraction in the terraces. Plus, I've a nice shade of tan going on right now with this sumptuous weather we're having. :cool:
    Xenophile wrote: »
    Tipperary County Board seem to still living in the pre property crash era, or pre the bail out era if you like. We members of Tipp GAA should ask for more accountability of where the money is being spent or more accurately misspent.

Probably trying to pay off some of the massive debt they're in. As an opposite, it's on in Limerick so they must have some blame too. Or it's top down and we've to look towards the GAA. First round game at €30 isn't totally fair as I think it's only a single game? There's no mentions of a double header. Surely means the AI SF/F will be an additional €10 on top of last year's price.

Of course, it is a double header. The first game is the Munster Intermediate Semi Final between Tipp and Limerick. As for the admission prices, they are fixed by the Munster Council and have nothing to do with the Tipperary or Limerick County Boards.

After their fine win over Kerry in the 1st Round last Sunday. Tipperary's junior footballers return to Killarney to play Waterford in the Munster semi final. There is just 1 change on the Tipp team, with Kevin Butler (Drom-Inch) playing at corner back in place of Ger Mulhair who has gone to the U. S. for the summer. Best of luck to the Tipp lads and hopefully, they will be the 3rd Tipp football team to reach a Munster Final this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Lads, does anyone have any thoughts on who will be selected for this position for the Limerick game and beyond? I think that sadly Paul Curran's legs are gone on him & he has lost some of his edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Senior Football Clubs -

Thanks. Anyone know the senior hurling clubs. I am told that there is over 30 of them, mostly in the North. Is it true very little football is played in North Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Forde is some prospect, he's running the show, Hamil and Breen both having great games and bill Walsh seems fair Hungary for that limerick goal hopefully he'll get to it in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

[QUOTE=Tipperary animal lover;84870783]Forde is some prospect, he's running the show, Hamil and Breen both having great games and bill Walsh seems fair Hungary for that limerick goal hopefully he'll get to it in the 2nd half.[/QUOTE]

I have been following hurling a good many years and Forde is the first free-taker I can remember seeing alternating between his left and right side. Maybe there's someone I'm forgetting but I think Forde is unique in this.
    A fair prospect all right.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 gizmo15

Hey
    I'd say O'Mahony would be leading the charge for full-back. Had a good league final there and keep Paudie Maher on at centre. What ya think urself ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good win tonight,hopefully the U/21s can go a bit further this year,I think we are stronger at this level than we were year than last.

• Advertisement

Forde is some prospect, he's running the show, Hamil and Breen both having great games and bill Walsh seems fair Hungary for that limerick goal hopefully he'll get to it in the 2nd half.

I liked the look of Walsh myself. Strong and fast. Has he only been involved since that challenge 2 weeks ago? Mouse like his cousin Bubbles is not afraid to get stuck in and battled on despite taking a few knocks.
    The whole back unit hurled very well but some got tired toward the end. Kennedy had the beating of Hannon for at least 45 minutes of that match but Hannon caused havoc the last 15. Tipp got very complacent after the break. The first goal they conceded was incredibly sloppy.

Aidan McCormack who hit a wonderful 1-3 was quiet in the second half. Not so sure this Kildare man Kenny or his clubmate Dan McCormack, have the work rate required though. Niall O'Meara and Justin Cahill hurled very well in the middle.

Some super stuff in the first half but we seem to forget there is a second half still to play when we build up any sort of a lead and that is at all levels.

Advertisement