Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Thought Limerick were done out of a penalty and if they had scored it anything could have happened, but over the course of the game there was no doubt Tipp were the better side, especially in terms of workrate.

Hamill for me was the MOTM, clearly the best player on the field last night (but Lynch was close for Limerick, thought he was the driving force in getting Limerick into contention), he swept up everything, dominated the HF back line are completely with his physical presence and covering and it wasn't until Limerick starting bypassing him and going over his head into the FF line that they started getting back into it.

Up front, Forde was the difference in the two attacks, clearly the best vision of any of the forwards on show and made the frees look easy. Looking good as a long term prospect for Tipp. Hannon came into when he went FF and looked very dangerous (especially in the air) but Hamill had his number on the 45 and kept him quite enough out there.

Congrats to Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Tell me this how exactly were limerick "done out of a penalty"? The limerick forward wasn't fouled over carried the ball and was looking for the free as soon as he won posession. Seamus Kennedy faded a bit after taking a bad knock from his own player!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Forde was excellent, scoring frees, from play, setting up goals and scoring them. Real class. I also thought Seamus Kennedy was unstoppable in the first half but faded in the second (like the rest of the team). I'm not totally keyed on the players but Brian Stapleton (is it? #12) hurled well at some points. There was a real tenacity, class, and some fine hurling on show in the first half but the second half; they allowed Limerick back in. They were up a good bit but they really should have continued to pour it on further.

randd1 wrote: »
    Thought Limerick were done out of a penalty and if they had scored it anything could have happened, but over the course of the game there was no doubt Tipp were the better side, especially in terms of workrate.

Hamill for me was the MOTM, clearly the best player on the field last night (but Lynch was close for Limerick, thought he was the driving force in getting Limerick into contention), he swept up everything, dominated the HF back line are completely with his physical presence and covering and it wasn't until Limerick starting bypassing him and going over his head into the FF line that they started getting back into it.

Up front, Forde was the difference in the two attacks, clearly the best vision of any of the forwards on show and made the frees look easy. Looking good as a long term prospect for Tipp. Hannon came into when he went FF and looked very dangerous (especially in the air) but Hamill had his number on the 45 and kept him quite enough out there.

Congrats to Tipp.

Ill be honest i was full sure it was going to be a penalty i couldnt believe it was waved away. And Andrew Ryan was on a yellow so would have undoubtedly seen red had it been awarded.

Tell me this how exactly were limerick "done out of a penalty"? The limerick forward wasn't fouled over carried the ball and was looking for the free as soon as he won posession. Seamus Kennedy faded a bit after taking a bad knock from his own player!

I hadnt the benefit of TV to make a more informed judgement myself but from the stand it looked a penalty. Put it like this, ive seen them given.

Your dead right about Kennedy too. He was lording it up on to that point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I hadnt the benefit of TV to make a more informed judgement myself but from the stand it looked a penalty. Put it like this, ive seen them given.

Infairness It looked to a penalty but after watching the replay dowling was definitely charging, it could have gone either way but we got the rub of the green this time, we've a few lads to come back which can only strengthen the squd McGrath peters o'brien meagher

Infairness It looked to a penalty but after watching the replay dowling was definitely charging, it could have gone either way but we got the rub of the green this time, we've a few lads to come back which can only strengthen the squad McGrath peters o'brien meagher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Ill be honest i was full sure it was going to be a penalty i couldnt believe it was waved away. And Andrew Ryan was on a yellow so would have undoubtedly seen red had it been awarded.

Yeah, it should have been given, the Limerick forward may have been trying to force his way through, but he was doing it legally until he was definitely pulled down.

And if it was given and it was scored it was most definitely game on, but in truth I don't think it would have mattered in the end, I thought Tipp had more about them and apart from that 20 minute spell where Limerick were going for goals, Tipp were the better team and worth the 7 point win overall. Tipp always looked like they could go on a 3/4 point burst whereas Limerick struggled to get scores and had to work very hard for them.

Still though we might have got a better finish to the game if the penalty was given, the penalty not given and Tipp going pretty much straight down the field and getting the killer meant the game faded out a bit. Some great hurling in it throughout though, a great argument against previous plans to scrap the U21 grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I hadn't the benefit of seeing a replay on tv but from the stand it wasn't a penalty.the game itself was ok for about 15 minutes but limerick were attrocious in the first half. I know there is this great belief in limerick about 'never fearing Tipp' but maybe given results at all grades it's about time they did!

I hadn't the benefit of seeing a replay on tv but from the stand it wasn't a penalty.the game itself was ok for about 15 minutes but limerick were attrocious in the first half. I know there is this great belief in limerick about 'never fearing Tipp' but maybe given results at all grades it's about time they did!

We should maybe wait til next Sunday before we decide that ha :)

Not being cocky but if we can play as good as we we can play then we should have more than enough for Limerick next weekend given the fact we've played at higher intensity so far this year, although Limerick to their credit play with no fear or inhibition so we also need to throw caution to the wind. They have some top drawer hurlers who can unsettle any team on their day. They probably left it behind them in Thurles last year and i thought if they could have held it together at the back against Kilkenny in the quarters they were in with a real shout also.

• Advertisement

Infairness It looked to a penalty but after watching the replay dowling was definitely charging, it could have gone either way but we got the rub of the green this time, we've a few lads to come back which can only strengthen the squad McGrath peters o'brien meagher

That's serious backup. Peters to be fair to him is just out of minor so while he is great backup to have, he would find it very hard to dislodge any of the corner backs at the moment.

John Meagher could give food for thought though as could John McGrath. Stephen O'Brien is hit and miss really but still young enough. Their time might be next year rather than this year.

Either way we've an abundance of talent coming through for the next few years and long may it last

That's serious backup. Peters to be fair to him is just out of minor so while he is great backup to have, he would find it very hard to dislodge any of the corner backs at the moment.

John Meagher could give food for thought though as could John McGrath. Stephen O'Brien is hit and miss really but still young enough. Their time might be next year rather than this year.

Either way we've an abundance of talent coming through for the next few years and long may it last

Sorry T Gunner it was Michael O'Brien( he's doing exams at mo) from SARS I was talking about, Stephen O'Brien is handy but a bit lazy.

Sorry T Gunner it was Michael O'Brien( he's doing exams at mo) from SARS I was talking about, Stephen O'Brien is handy but a bit lazy.

Oh Mike yes. He is a good hurler also but very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I didn't think it was a penalty at all,he went down easy in the hope of getting one but the ref made the correct decision,even if they got the penalty and scored a goal from it I still think we would have beaten them anyway.

Hard luck to the Tipp junior footballers,lost by a point to Waterford AET.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Nothing to fear for tipp in thurles today.

Nothing to fear for tipp in thurles today.

True but lets not forget we are capable of beating ourselves as much as anyone is depending on the frame of mind we go out in.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

ya you would imagine clare will only improve,lord knows what cork team will show up and we were blessed last year to come away with a win against limerick so think this year best to take it one game at a time tired old cliche but true nonetheless:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

buggy beag wrote: »
    ya you would imagine clare will only improve,lord knows what cork team will show up and we were blessed last year to come away with a win against limerick so think this year best to take it one game at a time tired old cliche but true nonetheless:)

Clare were un-backable favorites to win yesterday and should have been behind by more than four points at half-time. I think Waterford had seven or eight wides in the first half and let Clare off the hook in the second half with some atrocious wides and abysmal free-taking. Lucky for Clare it wasn't Cork they were playing yesterday. If Cork got the run on Clare that Waterford got in the first half yesterday I fear Clare wouldn't be celebrating their first championship win under Davy Fitzgerald.

we were blessed last year to come away with a win against limerick
    We were seven points behind going into the last quarter, if my memory serves me right. It was the introduction of 'Bonner' Maher that turned the game for us. And we were at home in Semple.
    The Gaelic Grounds will be a battlefield next Sunday as Limerick throw everything, body and bones, at Tipp. This is going to be a big, big test for our lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Judging by Limerick's display in the Under 21 match last Friday, Limerick hurling is not in a great state at the moment. Tipp will win with a fair bit to spare.

• Advertisement

Clare were un-backable favorites to win yesterday and should have been behind by more than four points at half-time. I think Waterford had seven or eight wides in the first half and let Clare off the hook in the second half with some atrocious wides and abysmal free-taking. Lucky for Clare it wasn't Cork they were playing yesterday. If Cork got the run on Clare that Waterford got in the first half yesterday I fear Clare wouldn't be celebrating their first championship win under Davy Fitzgerald.

We were seven points behind going into the last quarter, if my memory serves me right. It was the introduction of 'Bonner' Maher that turned the game for us. And we were at home in Semple.
    The Gaelic Grounds will be a battlefield next Sunday as Limerick throw everything, body and bones, at Tipp. This is going to be a big, big test for our lads.
    We only hurled for 15 minutes in that game and still beat them,if we don't beat these on Sunday I'm giving up going to matches for good.

'Blessed', not sure I'd go that far. When we were seven down, the lads copped on. The back six lorded ball and Conor O' Mahony and Paudie Maher were unstoppable. Great credit to Declan Ryan for emptying the bench too. Bonner did turn the game, I agree but Callanan, Burke also had a role in winning. Limerick attack went flat too and defense got ill-disciplined. The occasion might have gotten to them, they were inexperienced.

As an aside, Limerick just haven't been that impressive this year. They've a good W/L record on paper in Division 1B but a lot of their wins they were poor and Carlow even ran them close. Maybe they'll turn it on and last year they were excellent for most of the game but I can't see it. Many players are being played out of position, some players aren't doing it, and I think the jury's still out on John Allen. There's a lot of pessimism in Limerick. I can be proven flat out wrong, Any Given Sunday and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

'Blessed', not sure I'd go that far. When we were seven down, the lads copped on. The back six lorded ball and Conor O' Mahony and Paudie Maher were unstoppable. Great credit to Declan Ryan for emptying the bench too. Bonner did turn the game, I agree but Callanan, Burke also had a role in winning. Limerick attack went flat too and defense got ill-disciplined. The occasion might have gotten to them, they were inexperienced.

As an aside, Limerick just haven't been that impressive this year. They've a good W/L record on paper in Division 1B but a lot of their wins they were poor and Carlow even ran them close. Maybe they'll turn it on and last year they were excellent for most of the game but I can't see it. Many players are being played out of position, some players aren't doing it, and I think the jury's still out on John Allen. There's a lot of pessimism in Limerick. I can be proven flat out wrong, Any Given Sunday and all.

limerick ran outa legs like they did against kk could just have easily went against us had they the fitness to keep going.standing in the terrace i honestly thought they would beat us so i felt blessed leaving with the win and why should it take losing by 7 with 10-15 mins left to cop on.they should have been copped on from the start instead of lording it like you said with not much time left on the clock and the other team running on fumes:P

Was in adare today with my tipp top on:D, the amount of limerick lads telling me there gonna beat us and beat us handy was crazy. There still in the mindset that were as bad as we were in the game against them last year and that they've got better.
    Especially with lar out and Kelly's legs gone..... I just nodded and agreed drove them even more mad... I'm not a proper supporter and shouldn't be wearing the jersey...... I tell ya it's crazy o'clock up there..... Roll on Sunday and lets see how good they are;)

buggy beag wrote: »
    limerick ran outa legs like they did against kk could just have easily went against us had they the fitness to keep going.standing in the terrace i honestly thought they would beat us so i felt blessed leaving with the win and why should it take losing by 7 with 10-15 mins left to cop on.they should have been copped on from the start instead of lording it like you said with not much time left on the clock and the other team running on fumes:P

Lording, wrong context. I mean it in the context that they were dominating. Wrong word.

Also, "beat us handy", TAL? They're either winding you up or serious. We'll see about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Limerick never feared Tipp. . . .

I'm going to say a 7 or 8 point win for Tipp at least. Tipp in 2012 vs Tipp in 2013 is a totally different animal. Limerick are average, at best.

If Limerick were to come out of the traps with intensity then i dont think they could keep it up for the whole 70 tbh. The 2 games vs Dublin aside, they haven't had any game of any real challenge thus far in 2013. Yes its not beyond the realms of probability that they could win this game. They have some great hurlers. But Div 1b is hampering their development big time. They need to be back in the top flight to get better preparation for the championship.

Not so sure Allen is as shrewd as i first thought either. I felt Allen made a few howlers on the line last summer against both Kilkenny and Tipperary.

He got alot of credit off the back of inheriting the Cork job from Donal O'Grady and completing the back to back in 2005 but it was all set up for him. Cork had won in 1999 and had an all Ireland minor winning panel in 2001. O'Grady refocused them after the 2001-2002 turbulence for both 03 and 04 and set it up for Allen to finish it in 2005.
    If Tipp hurl the way they can hurl then i have no doubt we will prevail, but they cant afford to let complacency set in for one second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

So the team is announced tomorrow night. Seems one of the hardest tipp teams in recent years to predict. Will be interested to see who starts at full back.
    Limerick have named a very workmanlike team.

Anyone want to hazard a guess of the team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

I don't think it will be Paul Curran anyway. Maybe Conor O Mahony? I really hope Kieran Bergin starts, he brings serious intensity to the back line.

• Advertisement

I'll have a lash for the craic.

Cummins,

Stapleton*, O' Mahoney, Cahill,
    O' Brien, P. Maher, Bergin.

S. McGrath, B. Maher.

Forde, P. Maher, N. McGrath,
    S. Bourke, E. Kelly, Callanan.

*barring injury.

It's hard to pick, O' Shea has been a little unpredictable (picking Forde and Bergin, two picks that made everyone go, "WHO?!") and the fact that so many forwards could possibly start makes it difficult too (O' Meara, O' Keeffe, P. Bourke).

Advertisement