Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Apparently: Mullinahone scored 0-11 earlier. Eoin Kelly scored all eleven. Then he was sent off late in the game for a second yellow. Mullinahone still lost. Madness.

Lar Corbett was also sent off for Thurles. Nenagh beat them.

Kelly's should have been a straight red. It was a dirty slap off the ball on Tony Doyle and Cosgrove bottled it.

Mullinahone were piss poor but were missing 7 from last year. Seanie Curran, Cathal Horan and Gary Cronin have emigrated. Eoin Fennelly was missing and Paul Kelly, Denis Connelly & Jack Shelly were all injured (long term).

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Poor reflection on the discipline of the Tipperary team that both Lar Corbett and Eoin Kelly were sent off yesterday. Tough draw for the footbllers in the qualifiers, Galway in Pearse Stadium. I suppose we were due an away draw after a few home draws last year. Could be an interesting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

It's not a bad draw for the footballers. I was at Galway mayo match in Salthill and Galway were truly awful, one of there worst teams ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Galway were bad against Mayo but there's talk that they're better than that. I think Tipp will have a tough time; they'll need to elevate their game considerably. Against Kerry they did all the fundamental things wrong, stuff that you'd lose to any team if you did wrong.

It's not a bad draw for the footballers. I was at Galway mayo match in Salthill and Galway were truly awful, one of there worst teams ever.
    Galway were bad against Mayo but there's talk that they're better than that. I think Tipp will have a tough time; they'll need to elevate their game considerably. Against Kerry they did all the fundamental things wrong, stuff that you'd lose to any team if you did wrong.

Wouldn't say it was Galway's worst team ever considering all the u21 All Ireland winners on the starting lineup last day. An experienced group of lads met a Mayo team with experience in abundance and a Mayo team who are capable of going the whole hog this year and winning the All Ireland.

Galway will be out to make amends the next day as the fallout was huge from that defeat. Tipp have plenty to prove but to be honest they arent playing well enough this year so i think we'll be making an early exit from the Championship unfortunately.

Id normally try to be positive but neither Senior county team in each code is giving me much to get excited about this year if im honest.

Considering all the money invested in Tipperary football the last few years and the incurred losses, i felt the attitude that the team went out v Kerry the last day was sheer defeatist and pathetic to be frank about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Bad news for Tipp hurlers: Kieran Bergin likely to be out for a month with a broken hand sustained in south semi-final clash with Mullinahone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Wouldn't say it was Galway's worst team ever considering all the u21 All Ireland winners on the starting lineup last day. An experienced group of lads met a Mayo team with experience in abundance and a Mayo team who are capable of going the whole hog this year and winning the All Ireland.

Galway will be out to make amends the next day as the fallout was huge from that defeat. Tipp have plenty to prove but to be honest they arent playing well enough this year so i think we'll be making an early exit from the Championship unfortunately.

Id normally try to be positive but neither Senior county team in each code is giving me much to get excited about this year if im honest.

Considering all the money invested in Tipperary football the last few years and the incurred losses, i felt the attitude that the team went out v Kerry the last day was sheer defeatist and pathetic to be frank about it

Galway lost to Antrim last year so there is still a chance.
    Micheal Quinlavan is a big loss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Dont suppose the match is on the box. TG4 for the galway crowd maybe?

Bad news for Tipp hurlers: Kieran Bergin likely to be out for a month with a broken hand sustained in south semi-final clash with Mullinahone.

Plate and pins in the hand now. They're saying a month but you have to err on the side of caution I reckon. A month seems quick.
    Paddico wrote: »
    Dont suppose the match is on the box. TG4 for the galway crowd maybe?

I don't think TG4 have showed any of the matches recently? RTE and TV3 have a lot of the championship. There could be a game on TV. Saturday is down for the following:

Saturday, June 29
    Longford v Limerick, Glennon Brothers Pearse Park, 7pm
    Galway v Tipperary, Pearse Stadium, 7pm

So if they decided to run a Saturday night show, I think the Galway/Tipp fixture is the more attractive. Although all that is subject to much change since the hurling qualifiers could infringe on scheduling.

looder wrote: »
    They can still win Dan Breen next year but they have to win the Mid I think.

Unless they get relegated.... :pac:

Incidentally im assuming in the highly unlikely event of this happening, their Intermediates would have to take a drop to junior and their junior to junior B or whats the rule?

Plate and pins in the hand now. They're saying a month but you have to err on the side of caution I reckon. A month seems quick.
    Kieran bergin ‏@bergink5 20h just bailed on the hospital there two hours ago and in bed here in Dublin. Plate and pins put in so it'll be a couple of week

Straight from the horses mouth (or tweet)

• Advertisement

Lol that was me he was replying to! Never thought my Twitter handle would pop up here. Give me a follow, if anyone's inclined!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

Below is an extract from Enda McEvoy's article in last Saturday's Examiner. This is his take on the dilemma facing Eamon O'Shea.

Eamon O’Shea.

After last August’s hideousness the minimum requirement for the Tipperary players on Sunday was to die for the county, for the jersey, for the supporters. In the event they just died. Two points in the last 20 minutes against Kilkenny in Croke Park, one point in the last 20 minutes here. More and more the Tipp forward line resembles a boating crew where everyone can row but only one of them ever does the rowing for an extra man. They’ll still make the All-Ireland quarter-final in their sleep. Yet the manager is faced with a plethora of questions. Can he stick with his utopia of a passing game or does the intrusion of reality now demand the imposition of more ball-winners up front? How many of his forwards, Bonner Maher apart, can he truly trust? If Eoin Kelly is to be employed, why not from the start? And should O’Shea go the whole hog and set about reconstructing the team with a view to winning the 2014 All-Ireland? After the senior and U21 triumphs of September 2010 Tipp stood poised as the new power in the land. The disappointing thing is not that they didn’t go on to emulate Kilkenny; it's that they’ve never come remotely close.

There is more than a hint of schadenfreude in this and Enda never misses an opportunity to put the boot into Tipperary hurling. In truth, however, Eamon O Shea does face big problems. It is clear to me and others that many of those who were part of the 2010 winning team no longer have the character, discipline or desire to compete at the top level. They might be blessed with skill and ability and have a great set up and management team, but passion and drive are seriously lacking. The worrying thing is that last year's hammering by Kilkenny and another trimming by Cork in the league (the first half of that game was worst half-hour by a Tipp team I have ever witnessed) hasn't served as a wake-up call to these players. It was easy to lay some of the blame for last August on management, but not so easy to blame management following two more galling defeats.
    Tipp will regroup and possibly get as far as a semi-final, but I think they will be beaten whenever they face Galway or Kilkenny, while Cork could also take their scalp in a knockout game.
    Eamon O Shea should start looking to 2014 and jettison Shane McGrath, Lar Corbett and the rest of the deadwood. I am reliably informed that Lar missed training last Tuesday which shows his attitude has become really piss poor - supposedly a dead leg picked up hurling for Sars in a game where he was snet off after five minutes. Eoin Kelly has worked wonders for Tipp over the years but can't serious be considered at this stage; his legs are gone. Brendan Cummins, John O' Brien and Paul Curran will probably retire at the end of the year - should O' Shea persist with them for 2013 or act now and bring in younger players who are keen and hungry? Either way, we won't be seeing Liam McCarthy in Liberty Square come September.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Buggy O'Meara sent off yesterday (straight red) playing for Kilruane against Toomevara. Still more lack of discipline by Tipp county players. What are they at?.

Buggy O'Meara sent off yesterday (straight red) playing for Kilruane against Toomevara. Still more lack of discipline by Tipp county players. What are they at?.

It would seem Kilruane got off to a very slow start as they were being beaten out the gate by 11 at half time. Done very well to rack up the scores they did and were unlucky in the end. For such an all conquering underage side they've flattered to deceive at Senior level although Fez is a big loss to be fair.

Probably the biggest sign of the times is this scoreline
    Tipperary GAA ‏@TipperaryGAA 21 Jun South Tipperary Senior Football Championship Round 1 Result - Killenaule 2-17 Fethard 1-7

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

I was at this match last night. I didn't see what buggy did as it was part of a milee, but the row was caused by a poor ref, he had been blowing for silly frees and then a toome player nearly had his hand taken off by a wild swing(yellow card at least) and ref let it play on, the next ball that came in between the 2 players(30 secs) the toome player let fly(on the ball), from this a row started with skin and hair flying and bout 10 players involved. Two reds cards handed out, buggy and toome player.

The ref continued to have a mare, Kilruane were looking good for the win(totally dominating second half) when toome got a late goal, then 3 mins into injury time the got another(ref had said at 1 min into injury time that there was 30 secs left). Toome were now up by 2 points, a Kilruane point from free made it a 1 point game, ref blew it up from the puck out.

What pissed me off bout it was he gave toome every chance at the end but Kilruane got no chance to draw it(there would have been extra time if it was a draw).

I'm not great at getting my point across but the ref was very poor.

Also £8 into game.....F&*K OFF, rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

tipp beaten by limerick,clare bet by cork,laois givn the tribe a scare and the dubs nearly had the cats bet strange ol championship so far and good for hurling in general i suppose hopfully wel get laois in the morning and hope for the best could do with a good game and hopfully a win before weve to face any of the big guns:)

buggy beag wrote: »
    tipp beaten by limerick,clare bet by cork,laois givn the tribe a scare and the dubs nearly had the cats bet strange ol championship so far and good for hurling in general i suppose hopfully wel get laois in the morning and hope for the best could do with a good game and hopfully a win before weve to face any of the big guns:)

Tbh Ill be worried whoever we get and wouldnt rule elimination out by any team especially after Laois giving Galway such a run. I half wonder if they had met us on the day instead what would have happened. Willie Hyland who is arguably their best player had an off day on that occasion so if he had hit form perhaps Laois might'nt be in tomorrows draw.

We're so fragile at the moment i wouldn't take anyone for granted. If we end up in a dogfight I fear that we won't have the men to battle through it and will therefore come second.

On top of that there seems to be a pretentiousness and cockiness that still remains with this side despite all the disasters we've encountered the last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Tbh Ill be worried whoever we get and wouldnt rule elimination out by any team especially after Laois giving Galway such a run. I half wonder if they had met us on the day instead what would have happened. Willie Hyland who is arguably their best player had an off day on that occasion so if he had hit form perhaps Laois might'nt be in tomorrows draw.

We're so fragile at the moment i wouldn't take anyone for granted. If we end up in a dogfight I fear that we won't have the men to battle through it and will therefore come second.

On top of that there seems to be a pretentiousness and cockiness that still remains with this side despite all the disasters we've encountered the last 2 years

been watching the team since start january i wouldnt take anyone for granted just saying laois would be the best draw out of who is left.if we did get them any idea where it would be played?ya i remeber commenting before the league started that i thought we would be alright defensively but was worried about our options up front.on paper we have a dream team up front thats why there were constantly talking about in the papers and forums and pubs but in reality watching them since the start of the year you would know thats not the reality and its only now the rest are starting to see it.eamon o shea should bring in one of the numerous clippings in any of the papers or print off a forum sheet callinf them soft,afraid of their own shadow etc. slap it against the wall and roar thats what there saying about ye WHAT ARE YE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?:D

buggy beag wrote: »
    been watching the team since start january i wouldnt take anyone for granted just saying laois would be the best draw out of who is left.if we did get them any idea where it would be played?ya i remeber commenting before the league started that i thought we would be alright defensively but was worried about our options up front.on paper we have a dream team up front thats why there were constantly talking about in the papers and forums and pubs but in reality watching them since the start of the year you would know thats not the reality and its only now the rest are starting to see it.eamon o shea should bring in one of the numerous clippings in any of the papers or print off a forum sheet callinf them soft,afraid of their own shadow etc. slap it against the wall and roar thats what there saying about ye WHAT ARE YE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?:D

I think first name out of the hat gets home advantage but i cant be 100% sure.
    In Lar's book, he seems to be well aware of his flaws and critics but for a player of such vast experience he has done little to address them and he isn't the only one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Now that all of the players in the 2013 hunt for Liam have been in action I ask myself: what is there for Tipp to be afraid of - if they can get their s**t together, as the Americans say? That is the big question, of course: can they get it together? Most people seem to think they can't and have them written off as serious contenders who will get no further than a quarter-final.
    What everyone suspected might happen with Clare happened today: Cork got a run on them in the second half after containing them in the first, and, unlike Waterford, when Cork got on top they rammed home their advantage. Cork won't have it as easy dealing with a far more intense and physical Limerick challenge in the final. If Limerick can play as they did against Tipp they'll beat Cork by a few, I think.
    What of KK? Complacent, at twenty to one on to wipe the floor with the Dubs? KK are never that - Brian Hogan said recently that they play every game as if it was an All-Ireland final. Maybe the spirit was willing but the flesh was just that bit weaker than in past years? Can we dare to hope that the KK juggernaut is beginning to falter at last?Or will next Saturday's replay go the way of last year's All-Ireland replay: KK running out easy, easy winners? They had three weeks last September to recover and get themselves realigned for the replay -the recovery period for old war-weary Kilkenny legs is shorter for this replay, though. Maybe that will be a telling factor. Or maybe not, maybe they will come out and steamroll the Dubs next time. Or we just may be renewing acquaintance with them sooner than expected - in the less glamorous environs of the Phase II qualifiers. Trying to figure out the answer to such questions is what makes this old game of hurling so wonderful and intriguing.
    Anyway, on the basis of what I've seen so far in this hurling championship there is no way I am writing our lads off just yet

Looking forward to the draw tomorrow, should be very interesting with some good teams in it. However I don't agree with ye over laois, our second team would take them handy enough in my opinion.

Gar Ryan scored two of Templederry's goals today. I wonder will he feature in and around the panel? IIRC he was on the bench for the last game but unused.

Gar Ryan scored two of Templederry's goals today. I wonder will he feature in and around the panel? IIRC he was on the bench for the last game but unused.

Not long back from injury afaik but yes Gar would be really useful to a forward line that lacks aggression.

Minors v Limerick Wednesday night in the stadium. Winner takes all game with loser exiting the championship.

Clare vs laois
    Tipp vs losers dub/Kilkenny

Tough draw, might suit us though as it may help to focus the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Sorry, can you explain this? I'm just wondering what you have seen that would bring you to this conlusion. I am always wary of these sort of 'soft' attributions when it comes to Tipp as they usually suit the propaganda of those outside the county. I often wonder are such conclusions a sign of Tipp finally becoming house-trained by the other counties and just not liking themselves very much either or if there are genuine grounds for such an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Sorry, can you explain this? I'm just wondering what you have seen that would bring you to this conlusion. I am always wary of these sort of 'soft' attributions when it comes to Tipp as they usually suit the propaganda of those outside the county. I often wonder are such conclusions a sign of Tipp finally becoming house-trained by the other counties and just not liking themselves very much either or if there are genuine grounds for such an opinion.

Too feckin right Powerhouse, there are far too many lazy genarlisations made about this Tipp team, and the hilarious thing about it is they are often in complete contradiction of each other, just look at this page alone, we have some claiming that Tipp are soft, don't relish a batttle and lack the desired fight and hunger, yet a few posts later we have someone questioning their discipline because a few of them were red carded in the last two weeks.

In other news John O'Brien has torn he's calf and will be out for upto 6 weeks, not good :(, we now have zero arial targets from puckouts and to me that increases the chances of Darren Gleeson starting as we are going to need serious variation and imagination from our puck outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

After watching all the candidates for Liam this year I've only one thing to say ..... Hurling is in a bad place in the country, there hasn't been one decent championship game so far they've all been way below the standard of the years gone by, it's great to see limerick cork Laois Clare etc coming but the standard of hurling is pure sh.te .... Paying top € to go watch this no wonder the stadiums are empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

After watching all the candidates for Liam this year I've only one thing to say ..... Hurling is in a bad place in the country, there hasn't been one decent championship game so far they've all been way below the standard of the years gone by, it's great to see limerick cork Laois Clare etc coming but the standard of hurling is pure sh.te .... Paying top € to go watch this no wonder the stadiums are empty.

Well having two Munster championship games in limerick won't help.
    RTE choice of games can be poor. Senior football at inter county and within clubs can be very boring to watch. Particularly on TV. Seeing Down with 10 players inside there own 21 passing it over and back makes **** TV tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

Too feckin right Powerhouse, there are far too many lazy genarlisations made about this Tipp team, and the hilarious thing about it is they are often in complete contradiction of each other, just look at this page alone, we have some claiming that Tipp are soft, don't relish a batttle and lack the desired fight and hunger, yet a few posts later we have someone questioning their discipline because a few of them were red carded in the last two weeks.

In other news John O'Brien has torn he's calf and will be out for upto 6 weeks, not good :(, we now have zero arial targets from puckouts and to me that increases the chances of Darren Gleeson starting as we are going to need serious variation and imagination from our puck outs.

Another 'lazy generalisation' about this Tipp team is that Darren Gleeson deserves a starting place due to his supposedly superior puckouts. In the league game against KK in Thurles his puckouts were quite poor and he gifted Kilkenny at least two scores while also pucking the ball to players who were under pressure. Cummins still deserves to be there in my view.

Advertisement