Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Makes perfect sense to me tbf, the intercounty managers will have them all year, the colleges main competitions (Sigerson and Fitzgibbon) will be well over before the Provincial Championships start.

I agree.......................would be nonsense to have colleges in the McGrath Cup without some intercounty players. As it there none of the colleges left in this competition now!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Should the colleges be in the McGrath Cup at all or should it be an inter county competition.

Should the colleges be in the McGrath Cup at all or should it be an inter county competition.

Colleges want match practice this time of year and so do intercounty teams. Its a win win for all parties really. And besides at the end of the day its a relative mickey mouse competition. The objective of it is match practice and the more teams that participate, the more matches Tipp will get in the run up to the league. Shake them cobwebs off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Sure if the colleges weren't there the McGrath Cup would just be a second Munster Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

From 21:40 on. Just as well this was a challenge match and not the All-Ireland final or Gleeson would have never lived this down.

• Advertisement

OAOB wrote: »
    Sure if the colleges weren't there the McGrath Cup would just be a second Munster Championship.

The colleges inclusion is a recent new thing. I think either 06 or 07 was the first year. I for one am in favour of their inclusion i think it was a great idea to allow them enter the winter competitions.

From 21:40 on. Just as well this was a challenge match and not the All-Ireland final or Gleeson would have never lived this down.

A real January mistake really.
    Could have been made by Cummins as easily. Hard to know did the ball change direction or go under his legs as it looks like from where he was standing it wasnt going to be on target and that he had it covered and was planning on launching it back down the field.

EDIT: Jesus i dont know how it got by him from there. Sure as i said January is to iron out the mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Very poor from Darren but he had a very good game aside from that, he made a number of good saves, he's distribution was excellent and he was very vocal with the backs and especially with Hamill who is so inexperienced.

Yeah t'was his only mistake. He played very well after reports suggest. Those same reports are raving about Hamill. He's young but it would be great to see him get more games.

It has certainly gone very quiet on this thread lately. I would have expected several posts on the failure to make any real progress in reducing the number of senior hurling clubs in the county. Looks like it will be down to 31 by 2014!!. A long way from the desired number. However the McGrath Cup continues in Tipperary town tomorrow, After their great win over Cork, Tipp now play Waterford in the semi final. Team is - Paul Fitzgerald, Andrew Morrissey, Paddy Codd, John Coghlan, John O'Callaghan, Seamus Kennedy, Alan Campbell, George Hannigan, Stephen O'Brien, Conor Sweeney, Aldo Matassa, Bill Maher, Liam McGrath, Philip Quirke, Barry Grogan. Just one change with Conor Sweeney coming in for the injured Philip Austin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

off 2 nenagh mon da premier:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,686 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tipp 1-12 Waterford 2-8 in the McGrath Cup.

Well Played.

what a game gleeson had today fiar play to him after last week 3 top class saves and distribution was top notch.thought brendan maher had his best game in along long time,seamie was playing very well until the injury hope it isnt to serious it really is the last thing he needs to be out for a couple of wks again.buggy played well has great upper body strength.john o neill isnt cut out for it at this level and dont think mikey heffernan is going to make the step up either.been to the 3 friendlys now and the recuuring theme seems to be we start really well then slow down as the half wears on and this carries on into the 2nd half.we seem to have good options at the back this year but im worried about middle of the park and options up front.dublin seemed to play an extra man in the middle today and worked very well for them hennessy was left marking himself for alot of the game

buggy beag wrote: »
    what a game gleeson had today fiar play to him after last week 3 top class saves and distribution was top notch.thought brendan maher had his best game in along long time,seamie was playing very well until the injury hope it isnt to serious it really is the last thing he needs to be out for a couple of wks again.buggy played well has great upper body strength.john o neill isnt cut out for it at this level and dont think mikey heffernan is going to make the step up either.been to the 3 friendlys now and the recuuring theme seems to be we start really well then slow down as the half wears on and this carries on into the 2nd half.we seem to have good options at the back this year but im worried about middle of the park and options up front.dublin seemed to play an extra man in the middle today and worked very well for them hennessy was left marking himself for alot of the game

Agree with all your points. The 2 corner forwards havent the work ethic for the intercounty game and work ethic seems to be the mantra from O'Shea this year.
    Had Callanan stayed on we would have won the game. He seems to pick up injuries this time of year every year. Buggy and Brendan Maher were immense.

Hennessey was able to launch balls down the field under little pressure due to being the spare man but Dublin seemed to have spare men queuing up free in space throughout the match.

Shane McGrath hurls well from wing back but struggled to cope with his quick marker and Donagh behind him looked shaky at times.

A defeat might be a blessing at this stage and Id be confident that management will address the arising issues in due course.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Tipp 1-12 Waterford 2-8 in the McGrath Cup.

Well Played.

Terrific. Annoying the way the times of the games are clashing. Would love to be able to go see both games next weekend.

Agree with all your points. The 2 corner forwards havent the work ethic for the intercounty game and work ethic seems to be the mantra from O'Shea this year.
    Had Callanan stayed on we would have won the game. He seems to pick up injuries this time of year every year. Buggy and Brendan Maher were immense.

Hennessey was able to launch balls down the field under little pressure due to being the spare man but Dublin seemed to have spare men queuing up free in space throughout the match.

Shane McGrath hurls well from wing back but struggled to cope with his quick marker and Donagh behind him looked shaky at times.

A defeat might be a blessing at this stage and Id be confident that management will address the arising issues in due course.

ya did we get any 2nd ball or breaking ball it always seemed to fall to a dublin player.yya kilkenny brought the work ethic of a forward player to a different level and you gota at least try and match that and as you said neither corner forward did that and mikey heffernan hasnt done it in the other two games either.i spent the car trip home thinking what back six i would have and i still couldnt decide so thats a good thing but the forwrds pretty much pick themselves so thats a bad thing going forward.would like to see bubbles playing again next week he did some good things today so would like to see him again

Just sent this to the Munster Council. Would advise others to do the same and put them under pressure to arrange it so it is possible for people to see both games

info.munster@gaa.ie
    Dear Munster Council

As a Tipperary supporter who attends matches of both codes i would like the opportunity to see both Tipperary teams in action next weekend especially given that our footballers are in the McGrath cup final against Kerry and could do with a good show of support. Would also like to see the hurlers play against Limerick. Please arrange it so both fixtures wont clash

Regards

According to the Munster Council website, the McGrath Cup final is on Saturday and the Waterford Crystal is on Sunday. No need to put any pressure on the fixtures makers.

According to the Munster Council website, the McGrath Cup final is on Saturday and the Waterford Crystal is on Sunday. No need to put any pressure on the fixtures makers.

Great stuff. Fair play to the Munster Council.

H'on Tipp!

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Great stuff. Fair play to the Munster Council.

H'on Tipp!

Tipp agreed to play on Saturday because the Kerry boss , Eamonn Fitzmaurice is playing for Finuge on Sunday in a club game .

• Advertisement

Tipp agreed to play on Saturday because the Kerry boss , Eamonn Fitzmaurice is playing for Finuge on Sunday in a club game .

Ah no......they buckled under the pressure of my email ;):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I heard a rumour that Tipp FM are leaving Paddy Finnucian and Walty go.anyone hear anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

tippspur wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that Tipp FM are leaving Paddy Finnucian and Walty go.anyone hear anything?
    No, but sure we can hope for the best.

Looks like your hopes are going to be met Patsy, but you should be careful what you wish for. Knowing Tipp FM they will be replaced by someone worse or maybe not replaced at all. Rumour is that some whizz kid from Waterford will be the new sports reporter. We will probably be getting loads of English soccer and very little local Tipp sport.

Paddy shouldnt be pushed at this stage he should be treated with dignity and allowed to go when he sees fit. He is part of the furniture. Yes he makes me want to pull my hair out on occasion but he is a good GAA man to be fair to him and tis many the laugh he gave me over the air with his sayings and mix ups.

Looks like your hopes are going to be met Patsy, but you should be careful what you wish for. Knowing Tipp FM they will be replaced by someone worse or maybe not replaced at all. Rumour is that some whizz kid from Waterford will be the new sports reporter. We will probably be getting loads of English soccer and very little local Tipp sport.

I notice they dont broadcast alot of the matches these times and i believe sponsorship is becoming harder to obtain given the climate so it could be a case of cutbacks. It wouldnt be so bad if it was a matter of that.
    Paddy isnt the cutting edge of sporting broadcasting but I always like to see someone who gives years of service be treated with respect.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Barry Grogans in great form since hes returned , 1-6 in both games so far . The rest of the forwards are struggling to support him . Philip Austins out for over a month with an injury , Peter Acheson and Alan Moloney have been lining out with their Universities and Colman Kennedy is involved with Cork City . Anyone know whats the story with Michael Quinlivan ?

Barry Grogans in great form since hes returned , 1-6 in both games so far . The rest of the forwards are struggling to support him . Philip Austins out for over a month with an injury , Peter Acheson and Alan Moloney have been lining out with their Universities and Colman Kennedy is involved with Cork City . Anyone know whats the story with Michael Quinlivan ?

Grogan is super. What might have been if we had him last year. He is a ball of class. As good as any forward in the country. Big strong and a great eye for a goal. What age is his brother Seamus? Would he still be worth a call? Another handy forward. Big strong man.
    Not sure if Quinlivan (another major asset in the making) is injured at the mo? Moloney and Acheson are a loss to the Mcgrath campaign certainly but will certainly bolster our prospects in 2013. How Maloney couldnt get a game under John Evans is beyond me...it had to have been personal because any one that would drop him thinking he isnt good enough is a mad man imo and is involved in the wrong game.

Colman is a huge loss as is Greg Henry but i wish both lads the best in their soccer careers.

The future is certainly bright for our footballers with a mixture of youth and experience coming through. Austin getting injured might be a blessing at this stage as he will be fresh for the championship.

The big conundrum with football and hurling will be the fact that all the best players seem to be dual players. Of course the nature of the Tipperary beast is that hurling is understandably number 1, but i would like to see football stand shoulder to shoulder alongside hurling in this county at the very least.

Rumour is that some whizz kid from Waterford will be the new sports reporter. We will probably be getting loads of English soccer and very little local Tipp sport.

I actually follow him on Twitter and he seems pretty good. Journo with Beat, Passionate Waterford GAA supporter (must now focus on Tipp though) and does know his stuff.

• Advertisement

O'Shea spoke at the supporters club meeting last week. He is saying all the right things. He is as inspirational as Obama

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/osheas-blue-collar-blue-chip-philosophy-219987.html#.UPk6RuKooIE.twitter
    O’Shea’s blue collar, blue chip philosophy

By Jackie Cahill
    Friday, January 18, 2013

FOR over 16 minutes last Wednesday evening, Eamon O’Shea’s hold over Tipperary hurling supporters seated in the impressive Derrynaflan theatre at the Horse and Jockey was absolute.
    Some had signed up as new Tipperary Supporters club members; others had come to renew existing memberships. All left with goose bumps and raised hairs on the back of their necks.

Kilruane MacDonaghs stalwart O’Shea, a professor of Economics at NUI Galway, had outlined his vision for 2013, and beyond. And it was so exciting stuff.

His eyes are trained on September 9 and All-Ireland final Sunday. O’Shea revealed that his plan for the season ahead ends on that date.

The road will be a long and winding one but O’Shea spoke about "high expectations". He wants to win the Allianz National Hurling League, too. This is a man who challenges people, gets them living outside their comfort zone.

He spoke powerfully and evocatively, explaining how work-rate and support play will be main principles in his philosophy. Get those right, and then you can start thinking about gameplans and styles of play.

Having returned to the management team after two years out, O’Shea realises that things have changed. 2010 and that memorable All-Ireland final victory over Kilkenny is history, the same as last August’s semi-final nightmare against the Cats.

But already, O’Shea has brought the buzz back. Big crowds have turned out at challenge matches against UCC and Offaly, with another healthy attendance expected in Nenagh next Sunday when Dublin are the visitors.

Silvermines and Thurles Sarsfields are preparing for All-Ireland club semi-finals, Our Lady’s Templemore and Thurles CBS looking ahead to Harty Cup semi-finals. A new senior hurling championship structure has been voted through and the black cloud that engulfed Tipperary last August has lifted. Now, it’s all about looking forward and O’Shea is a breath of fresh air. Undoubtedly, he’s the right man at the right time.

And he declared: "My plan ends on September 9 so you can see where my expectations are.

"We’re going into the Waterford Crystal at the end of the month. Even last Sunday [against Offaly] we were behind at half-time – it was a meaningless friendly in one sense but the emphasis that we had at half-time was desire, desire to play and desire to win ball. That’s what our emphasis will be on for the next couple of months. When we go out, there will be effort and hard work in preparation for our first League game.

"We have Cork, Kilkenny and Galway [in first three games]. Looking at form, two of those teams are ahead of us in the pecking order at the minute.

"So it will be a real struggle to get something but I believe we’ll get something from those games. And we’ll certainly get a performance when we play. Sometimes you can’t predict the result but you’ll get a performance.

"Our aim, to be honest with you, is to win the League, to go as far as we can in the League. You might say we’re down a few players but I don’t even think about the players we’re missing. I think we’re missing four or five at the minute because of club but when you’re not there, other fellas come in. That’s the way sport is. There are no excuses when Tipperary play.

"Nobody’s looking over their shoulder and saying ‘we should have had this, that or the other’. We’re going out to win the League and we’ll take every game after that.

"Some days you don’t always win matches – some days things go against you but what I can predict with certainty is that when we play, there will be a certain something about us. If there isn’t, I haven’t done my job properly and you take the consequences." But he’s realistic, too.

"I’m coming back after two years out and one of the things that you have to realise quickly is that things don’t stay the same," he said.

"We can’t stay the same. We’ve got to get back, and the players are well aware of this, to the key on what our success is going to be built upon, which is hard work and support for each other."

O’Shea watched from the stands as Tipperary capitulated in the second half against Kilkenny last August, falling to their heaviest senior championship defeat since the 1800s.

He reflected: "We were disappointed last year. The players accept responsibility for their performances. This is a new year, in the same way that 2010 is long gone.

"And anybody thinking that 2010 has any bearing on 2013 is wrong. This is a new set-up, new ambitions, new objectives, a new approach to the way we train. If you stay the same in this game, you’re beaten, it’s over.

"What we’re also looking for is a team firmly rooted in what you believe Tipperary tradition is, and it’s different for every one of us. It’s firmly rooted in the club and communities where these players come from."

Advertisement