Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

You have 8 posts in this thread in 13 months each one of them more negative that the previous, and you call that having a discussion, looks more like an agenda to me. Where were you for all the victories we had in this time, must have been killing you to see us actually win??

I think I will take your suggestion on board because I'm sick of the muck that gets posted on here by lads dying to stick the knife in, if you want to know whats wrong with Tipp hurling take a good long look in the mirror.

Slan agus Beannacht.

Ah premierstone don't leave us. Where will I get all my little facets of information about tipp hurling to claim as my own? The boys will discover me for the uninformed fraud that I am...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

More bad news for Tipp on the injury front. According to local radio, Philip Austin can't play owing to illness and will be replaced by Hugh Coghlan. I don't know could any team overcome the absence of so many players because of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

More bad news for Tipp on the injury front. According to local radio, Philip Austin can't play owing to illness and will be replaced by Hugh Coghlan. I don't know could any team overcome the absence of so many players because of injury.

Can't really see any chance for them this evening but Hugh coughlan won't weaken the team, he's a very good footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

You have 8 posts in this thread in 13 months each one of them more negative that the previous, and you call that having a discussion, looks more like an agenda to me. Where were you for all the victories we had in this time, must have been killing you to see us actually win??

I think I will take your suggestion on board because I'm sick of the muck that gets posted on here by lads dying to stick the knife in, if you want to know whats wrong with Tipp hurling take a good long look in the mirror.

Slan agus Beannacht.

Not a bad idea for you to take a leave of absence from this thread. You were making a bigger clown of yourself with each successive ranting post.

I'd love to think that I am the cause and solution of all Tipperary's hurling problems but I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated than that.

Making out that I am in some way happy to see Tipp beaten is ridiculous, in fact quite the opposite. But in any sport, a team has to learn from defeat and it is perfectly valid to ask what was the difference between the two teams last Wednesday evening. I put it down to Limerick's greater fighting spirit and Tipp's lack of same, but this is wrong according to some here who weren't even at the match.

A lot of hurling analysts over the past few years, both inside and outside the county, have said that Tipp teams have a soft core and don't have the grit needed to win out in tight games. This is borne out by several performances at all grades. Of course we all revel in the victories, but there have been too many instances where Tipp teams have lost games they should have won. Other counties have realised this and know that if they put it up to Tipp and turn a match into a battle they stand a good chance.

Last year's u21 team showed the type of approach that needs to be cultivated in underage Tipperary hurling. They went down to Cork and came from behind to win by a point in the closing minutes. They then went to the Gaelic Grounds and put the defending Munster champions to the sword. Finally, they played in the bear pit that is Cusack Park, put up a terrific performance and were cruelly beaten by a last-minute goal. Beaten, yes, but at least you could be proud of them coming away from the game.

Not a bad idea for you to take a leave of absence from this thread. You were making a bigger clown of yourself with each successive ranting post.

I'd love to think that I am the cause and solution of all Tipperary's hurling problems but I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated than that.

Making out that I am in some way happy to see Tipp beaten is ridiculous, in fact quite the opposite. But in any sport, a team has to learn from defeat and it is perfectly valid to ask what was the difference between the two teams last Wednesday evening. I put it down to Limerick's greater fighting spirit and Tipp's lack of same, but this is wrong according to some here who weren't even at the match.

A lot of hurling analysts over the past few years, both inside and outside the county, have said that Tipp teams have a soft core and don't have the grit needed to win out in tight games. This is borne out by several performances at all grades. Of course we all revel in the victories, but there have been too many instances where Tipp teams have lost games they should have won. Other counties have realised this and know that if they put it up to Tipp and turn a match into a battle they stand a good chance.

Last year's u21 team showed the type of approach that needs to be cultivated in underage Tipperary hurling. They went down to Cork and came from behind to win by a point in the closing minutes. They then went to the Gaelic Grounds and put the defending Munster champions to the sword. Finally, they played in the bear pit that is Cusack Park, put up a terrific performance and were cruelly beaten by a last-minute goal. Beaten, yes, but at least you could be proud of them coming away from the game.

I was at the match and personally i think your very harsh on the minors but look we'll have to agree to disagree on that one because to be honest without a wide variety of different views on different matters then this place will end up a great big groupthink forum like Premierview where all the cronies try to silence any dissenters in the most communist fashion by banning them without any feedback or notice.

I do agree that the senior panel has been deserving of their criticism but i just think its a step too far to drag the minors in under the same umbrella as personally i think we have a decent crop coming through regardless and if anything the defeat will stand them in good stead in the future

FWIW. You make good valid points with regards to the u21s last year.

• Advertisement

Decent first half from the footballers into the wind, really highlights how awful Galway are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Well lads its do or die in the next round, be very disappointing been finished the hurling first week of July!!!! Wtf like

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

We have a date with KK in the hurling as Dublin beat them(fully deserved too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Jesus we're going to have to improve by 5 times to even beat that under performing KK side.

H'on Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Delighted we're playing KK, no point getting us an easy game. We've all questioned their hunger and desire on here the last few weeks, this is the litmus test, if we don't give it all the next day then there will clearly be an issue with appetite. This is a fantastic chance for this team to prove their doubters wrong.

I really want to beat KK but i'll be happy so long as we hurl our guts out for 70mins, stand up to every challenge and knock them back at every chance.

• Advertisement

OAOB wrote: »
    Delighted we're playing KK, no point getting us an easy game. We've all questioned their hunger and desire on here the last few weeks, this is the litmus test, if we don't give it all the next day then there will clearly be an issue with appetite. This is a fantastic chance for this team to prove their doubters wrong.

I really want to beat KK but i'll be happy so long as we hurl our guts out for 70mins, stand up to every challenge and knock them back at every chance.

There really is nowhere for some of the forwards to shirk now. Lads must be prepared to go out and die for the cause next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

All to play for now lads!! Somewhat of a surprise result, few genuinely expected them to lose.. Was only following on Twitter but seemed KK were mainly surviving off dead balls where Larkin was almost flawless.. Richie Power saw red I think after 2 yellows, so that's a plus... In this instance I don't subscribe to the its better to beat them with all their players theory.

Nowlan Park I assume, make no mistake we have a good chance. Offaly pushed, Dublin outscored them over 140mins, certainly a vunerable team now. That KK backlash to losing is always a danger but not as apparent in this particular team. Its there if our boys want it.. We must believe!! HONTIPP

Watched the game, Kilkenny were really toothless in attack and struggled with the pace of the Dubs attack. Dublin seemed to win every 50/50 ball and it was so strange to see them second to most balls. Dublin were good value for the 3 points win and possibly could have won by a few more!

It will be a hard turnaround for Kilkenny, it was a physical game, Kilkenny looked heavy legged throughout, Dublin seemed hungrier as well. We may not have a better chance to beat KK.
    It would be great to be the team to finally put the nail in their coffin. Huge effort required though and should make for an epic game.

Hon Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Lads whats the venue for qualifier against KK?

twistyj wrote: »
    Lads whats the venue for qualifier against KK?

Don't think it has been announced yet, will be Saturday, and may be in nowlan park.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Don't think it has been announced yet, will be Saturday, and may be in nowlan park.

Into the belly of the beast :D

Hon Tipp!

Kk only scored 4pts from play......hopefully they'll bring this kind of form next week,it's gonna be 5yrs in a row playing them our luck has to change...... Doesn't it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Watched the game, Kilkenny were really toothless in attack and struggled with the pace of the Dubs attack. Dublin seemed to win every 50/50 ball and it was so strange to see them second to most balls. Dublin were good value for the 3 points win and possibly could have won by a few more!

It will be a hard turnaround for Kilkenny, it was a physical game, Kilkenny looked heavy legged throughout, Dublin seemed hungrier as well. We may not have a better chance to beat KK.
    It would be great to be the team to finally put the nail in their coffin. Huge effort required though and should make for an epic game.

Hon Tipp.

If Paul Ryan hadn't given one of the worst exhibitions of free-taking that I have ever seen in a championship match Dublin would have won more easily. On the other hand, Eoin Larkin's excellence from placed balls kept KK in the game.

Can KK be as poor again? - well that's what everyone was asking after the drawn game: the bookies didn't believe they could be and installed them as money on favourites for the replay. The same question will be asked next week during the run-up to the game with Tipp.
    Can hatred for the Blue and Gold and determination not to be put out of the championship by them at home in Nowlan Pk. finally ignite the powder-keg for KK?
    Can Tipp find their mojo once more in the restrictive confines of Nowlan Pk.?
    Who knows?

If Paul Ryan hadn't given one of the worst exhibitions of free-taking that I have ever seen in a championship match Dublin would have won more easily. On the other hand, Eoin Larkin's excellence from placed balls kept KK in the game.

Can KK be as poor again? - well that's what everyone was asking after the drawn game: the bookies didn't believe they could be and installed them as money on favourites for the replay. The same question will be asked next week during the run-up to the game with Tipp.
    Can hatred for the Blue and Gold and determination not to be put out of the championship by them at home in Nowlan Pk. finally ignite the powder-keg for KK?
    Can Tipp find their mojo once more in the restrictive confines of Nowlan Pk.?
    Who knows?

Tune in for the next episode...:D

Living here on the border i can tell you if there is one thing that brings the best out in Kilkenny its the blue and gold jersey of Tipperary but im not so sure if it works the other way around any more.

We are definitely drawn away but id imagine there could be demand for this fixture which could influence the powers that be to accommodate more supporters although that said there would be a great atmosphere in the park should it be held there. I would reckon it will be a sell out. There will be huge interest in this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

As a neutral I can't wait for next Sat.
    I thought this would be the AI match up.
    Any questions regarding the toughness and ability of some Tipp forwards to get stuck in and lay the body on the line will be tested next Sat in the tight and narrow confines of Nowlan.

Last time Tipp played Kilkenny in the championship in July was July 28 1912 yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

OAOB wrote: »

+1

Any team with all Ireland ambition have to beat them. I feel their injuries will tell next day but its a pity it's Nolan park. Their 'loyal' supporters will have to make it out a little earlier than they're used to!

I think Kevin keegans outburst against united comes to mind regarding how we all feel about them 'I'd love it if we beat them, love it'.

Even though im at the limerick border I'd never begrudge them a win over us but as for Kilkenny and their arrogant fans.....

Match has been confirmed for nowlan park on Saturday with the time yet to be confirmed.

digzy wrote: »
    +1

Any team with all Ireland ambition have to beat them. I feel their injuries will tell next day but its a pity it's Nolan park. Their 'loyal' supporters will have to make it out a little earlier than they're used to!

I think Kevin keegans outburst against united comes to mind regarding how we all feel about them 'I'd love it if we beat them, love it'.

Even though im at the limerick border I'd never begrudge them a win over us but as for Kilkenny and their arrogant fans.....

Im from the Kilkenny border myself but i must respect and admire what Kilkenny have achieved since 2000 albeit grudgingly. I would hope we wont do a Keegan and actually try keep a cool head.

Believe you me though Kilkenny fans will turn up in their droves next week. It may as well be an All Ireland final now with so much riding on it. Put it like this, whoever loses will be stewing for at nearly 12 months whereas if they were to lose the All Ireland final instead they would only have 8 or 9 months to stew. Losing would hurt them more than us as they would be completely out of their comfort zone whilst no low that we can stoop to would surprise me after last year

Its a huge huge game. In my opinion it matters little any more what 15 players KK will have out. We'd struggle against any 15 who put a fight up against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Good advice you gave to the other poster. So good that you can have a two day leave of absence from the Tipperary forum for uncivil posting (over the course of a few days), and back seat moderation.

To everyone else in the thread: Please keep things civil folks. I know you are all passionate about the team you support, but let's not have it turn into petty squabbling. It does you no favours and ruins the thread for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

e. In my opinion it matters little any more what 15 players KK will have out. We'd struggle against any 15 who put a fight up against us.

Dunno. Players like Paul Murphy and sheflin more so, are irreplaceable so they're definitely there for the taking. I was shocked they didn't beat Dublin after their scare the week before. Though, from their point of view tipp are a great draw to focus the mind.

I'd agree that we'd struggle whatever team they have but I remember a few years back when we played cork in thurles when they were in their pomp. Paul Kelly had a stormer and we beat them against all expectations. We're a better team than Dublin in hurling terms. However as has been mentioned earlier we need warriors out there so while I like 'hurlers' like callinan they're a luxury we can't afford in Nolan park.

Well lads who'll be travelling next sat night? We'll be there(again)It'll be all ticket I'd say ... Don't like nowlan park it's gonna be a real dog fight( have we the appetite for it!!! In o'shea we trust!!!). Hope the real tipp supporters turn out in mass for this do or die game. I know it's early but best of luck to them sat eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Our free taking against Limerick was'nt the best either, we'll need to make each one count against KK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

We are definitely drawn away but id imagine there could be demand for this fixture which could influence the powers that be to accommodate more supporters although that said there would be a great atmosphere in the park should it be held there. I would reckon it will be a sell out. There will be huge interest in this game.

Isn't the capacity of Nowlan Pk. around 20,000? A qualifier would hardly draw in excess of that, would it? Well, maybe, with KK/ Tipp the two counties involved in a do or die contest!
    I don't think Kk fans would travel in big numbers if it was moved to a bigger venue - at home in Nowlan Pk they'll turn out in support, as they did for the League final. Anyway, fifteen thousand in Nowlan Pk would create a better atmosphere than in some bigger venue, I think.
    Just wondering about the ticket situation: as a season ticket holder. I don't think that seats are allocated for qualifiers, can't remember them being allocated in 2010, anyway. So, seating I presume, will be on a first come first served basis. Better get there early if that's the case! For the League final I got there pretty early and the centre of the two stands was packed with Kk supporters.

P.S.
    Papers are saying the hurling championship has been blown wide open now with a Dub/Gal Leinster Final and a Cork/Limerick final in Munster.
    Well, the big three traditional powers are still there, admittedly one will be gone at around 8.30pm next Saturday evening.
    And Kk are still around, like that thing in the Terminator movies that keeps reassembling itself and coming back to wreak havoc!

Advertisement