Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

would it be true to say that whatever team loses next weekend would need a major overhaul for next year or maybe even a year or two transition period like other counties have had to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Yeah, some fellas out there next saturday will be literally playing this game as if it could be their last,so plenty of motivation if any was needed!
    Looking forward to it now, its a bit of a double-edged sword.Its either a great time to play a badly out of form Kilkenny or we will be perfect motivation to bring the KK machine back to life.
    Anyways,we should worry about our own game,not theirs.
    We owe them one for last year so the lack of passion bemoaned on this thread will not be a prob.
    C'mon boys, give us something to brighten our summer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Any ideas if the game will be televised?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

digzy wrote: »
    Any ideas if the game will be televised?

TV3 are gonna show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

buggy beag wrote: »
    would it be true to say that whatever team loses next weekend would need a major overhaul for next year or maybe even a year or two transition period like other counties have had to do?

Transition for a team like KK would be over a shorter time period than other counties.
    The definition of transition in counties like KK is only winning an All Irl every 5 or 6 years

• Advertisement

Isn't the capacity of Nowlan Pk. around 20,000? A qualifier would hardly draw in excess of that, would it? Well, maybe, with KK/ Tipp the two counties involved in a do or die contest!
    I don't think Kk fans would travel in big numbers if it was moved to a bigger venue - at home in Nowlan Pk they'll turn out in support, as they did for the League final. Anyway, fifteen thousand in Nowlan Pk would create a better atmosphere than in some bigger venue, I think.
    Just wondering about the ticket situation: as a season ticket holder. I don't think that seats are allocated for qualifiers, can't remember them being allocated in 2010, anyway. So, seating I presume, will be on a first come first served basis. Better get there early if that's the case! For the League final I got there pretty early and the centre of the two stands was packed with Kk supporters.

P.S.
    Papers are saying the hurling championship has been blown wide open now with a Dub/Gal Leinster Final and a Cork/Limerick final in Munster.
    Well, the big three traditional powers are still there, admittedly one will be gone at around 8.30pm next Saturday evening.
    And Kk are still around, like that thing in the Terminator movies that keeps reassembling itself and coming back to wreak havoc!

When it comes to playing Tipperary, Kilkenny fans turn out in considerable big numbers be it Kilkenny, Thurles or Dublin. Then there is the local element. I would expect there definately to be a ticket excess. If a league final can sell out then Championship knock out scenario where its do or die will definitely sell out.

Well lads who'll be travelling next sat night? We'll be there(again)It'll be all ticket I'd say ... Don't like nowlan park it's gonna be a real dog fight( have we the appetite for it!!! In o'shea we trust!!!). Hope the real tipp supporters turn out in mass for this do or die game. I know it's early but best of luck to them sat eve.

Ill be there......more in hope than expectation but ill be there all the same.

Tipperary u21s beat their Kilkenny counterparts in a challenge in Gortnahoe tonight by 6 points (0-25 to 0-19). Tipp were 15-5 points up at half time and had missed 3 clear goal chances but Kilkenny closed the gap in the second half.

Best for Tipp were Aidan McCormack who took some fine points, John Meagher who lorded it at number 7 and didnt give Kevin Kelly a poc of the ball and Liam Mcgrath who ran at the Kilkenny backs at every opportunity.

Seen highlights of the football on the Sunday game. We were unlucky tbh. Stephen O'Brien and Conor Sweeney had goal chances while the goal we conceded was very very soft which has been the story of our year if not a number of decades.

What happened between Creedon and Mulholland on the sideline? As Paddy Finucane might have said 'little jigs and jags'? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I was disillusioned walking out of Nolan park after the league final having once again being beaten by KK,I said after that game I was sick of getting beaten by them,never taught for a second we would be back there again so soon for a qualifier game.well I'm even more disillusioned now with Tipp after the loss to Limerick and to be honest I don't hold out much hope for us next Saturday night.I hope to God I'm wrong cos it would be something special to win in their place.

tippspur wrote: »
    I was disillusioned walking out of Nolan park after the league final having once again being beaten by KK,I said after that game I was sick of getting beaten by them,never taught for a second we would be back there again so soon for a qualifier game.well I'm even more disillusioned now with Tipp after the loss to Limerick and to be honest I don't hold out much hope for us next Saturday night.I hope to God I'm wrong cos it would be something special to win in their place.

It wasnt so much being beaten i was disillusioned with but the usual story of forwards not winning a ball and the fact we didnt lose the game by a huge margin ala like the 2011 final in that sense. There was alot of positives that day but unless our forwards start getting involved we may as well be fish up a tree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 the player

The best way to end the negativity that has crept into the forum, is for the players to give a performance. Nobody wants to be pessimistic, sadly we have not have had much grounds for optimism. When you consider the amount of criticism, this Tipperary team received in the aftermath of last years semi-final;
    you would imagine some amazing backlash from the team. In Limerick they were dogged by the same conceited self importance, that is inherent in this squad.
    presented with an undeserved four point lead, they frittered it away with a litany of mistakes and basic errors. The upshot of that is they must now face a seething Kilkenny in their own back yard.
    I was reading another excellent post from the Tipp Gunner and he alluded to the cockiness within the squad. I totally agree, but what is truly staggering is where it comes from. This is a team who were beaten by record scoreline by Kilkenny last year. They are now going for an unwanted four in a row against the 'Cats.'
    They have lost their last three major matches, against Kilkenny. The All-Ireland final, semi final and a league final.
    Thats some collection of results. I feel sorry for Eamon O'Shea a decent man. I truly believe if he cant get a tune out of them, who can?
    Sunday places two waning powers of hurling in a dog fight to the death.
    Time to grasp the Rosary beads my fellow forum members!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

If we can't beat kk with Shefflin and Fennelly and possibly Tyrell, Reid and Buckley out due to injury then I don't think we deserve to be in the championship. On paper if Kilkenny play the same way as the did against Dublin and our forwards play to their best then we should beat them. I'm a little optimistic but I just don't know if they can pull it out of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

If we lose sat eve it'll be the first time since 2004 not making the 1/4 finals and 2008 for semi finals....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Match confirmed for Nolan park after last ditch attempt to move the game to semple.

Tickets sorted happy days, heatwave on the way as well, this is what summers are made for hon tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

I am looking forward to this match in a big way. Kilkenny are vulnerable, severely depleted by injuries and are beatable, but it will take an almighty effort from Tipp and maybe a slice of luck. There is no way Kilkenny will roll over and die on their home ground in spite of missing players and fatigue. Tipp will need to hurl with fire in their belly. It is a chance to atone for last year's disaster in Croke Park.
    It will be interesting to see the two teams that are picked. Will Cody risk starting any of his long list of injured players and show that he hasn't learned from the mistakes of the 2010 final? Will Eamon O Shea drop his captain whose form has been poor of late? This type of game is made for James Woodlock who has been in good form of late. I would start Eoin Kelly who will really up his game for Kilkenny. He won't last the full seventy minutes but we need someone to set the tone and lead the charge in the forward line early on and Kelly is the best man for the job.
    Tipp's tactics in the league final played into Kilkenny's hands. Noel McGrath hurled his best game in a long time that day but deploying him as a third midfielder left Kilkenny with an extra man in defence. The rest of the Tipp forwards were at a disadvantage straight away. Tipp should go with a more orthodox 15 v 15.
    I have full faith in the Tipp back line but it's from midfield forward that the right men need to be selected and they need to go hell for leather.
    Two wounded animals and the stakes couldn't be higher. The losers will face serious questions, retirements and a bleak future. The winners will have rebooted their season.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Well done to Clonmel Commercials on winning Feile Peil Division 3 yesterday , a much needed boost for Football in the County , hopefully Tipp Minors can make 3 Munsters in a row on Sunday !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MauriceWalsh

where will the tipp fans be gathered in nowlan park does anyone know? I'd rather not be totally surrounded by cats thanks no offence to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Hard to say, I was in the uncovered Ardan Breathnach last time. Fair few Kilkenny but still a decent enough amount of Tipperary lads included.

where will the tipp fans be gathered in nowlan park does anyone know? I'd rather not be totally surrounded by cats thanks no offence to them!

It's a free for all lad!! With max 24thousand tickets you won't be to far from a tipp jersey, I see the stand tickets are unreserved seating so if going with stand tickets get there early to get a good seat!!!! Bring on sat eve, weather suppose to be good aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I am looking forward to this match in a big way. Kilkenny are vulnerable, severely depleted by injuries and are beatable, but it will take an almighty effort from Tipp and maybe a slice of luck. There is no way Kilkenny will roll over and die on their home ground in spite of missing players and fatigue. Tipp will need to hurl with fire in their belly. It is a chance to atone for last year's disaster in Croke Park.
    It will be interesting to see the two teams that are picked. Will Cody risk starting any of his long list of injured players and show that he hasn't learned from the mistakes of the 2010 final? Will Eamon O Shea drop his captain whose form has been poor of late? This type of game is made for James Woodlock who has been in good form of late. I would start Eoin Kelly who will really up his game for Kilkenny. He won't last the full seventy minutes but we need someone to set the tone and lead the charge in the forward line early on and Kelly is the best man for the job.
    Tipp's tactics in the league final played into Kilkenny's hands. Noel McGrath hurled his best game in a long time that day but deploying him as a third midfielder left Kilkenny with an extra man in defence. The rest of the Tipp forwards were at a disadvantage straight away. Tipp should go with a more orthodox 15 v 15.
    I have full faith in the Tipp back line but it's from midfield forward that the right men need to be selected and they need to go hell for leather.
    Two wounded animals and the stakes couldn't be higher. The losers will face serious questions, retirements and a bleak future. The winners will have rebooted their season.

Bit of an overstatement there in fairness, yes it will be a setback for whoever goes out at this stage, but its not like they'll go into the doldrums for the next decade.

• Advertisement

Yeah fact that it's unreserved you're going to have smatterings unless you get a big crowd gathering for one area. Like the girl working in the shop, inexplicably I thought she asked me how much the tickets were, I said "20?" She said "you want 20 tickets?!" :D

Match confirmed for Nolan park after last ditch attempt to move the game to semple.

I heard Kilkenny weren't going to give up Nowlan Park without a serious fight.

Ah just realised. Probably could've gotten Ardan Na Gras instead of Ardan Breathnach uncovered. Shíte. It'll have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Hard to say, I was in the uncovered Ardan Breathnach last time. Fair few Kilkenny but still a decent enough amount of Tipperary lads included.

Just heard Tim Floyd on Tippfm saying that 80% of Tipp's tickets are for the the New Stand.

Just heard Tim Floyd on Tippfm saying that 80% of Tipp's tickets are for the the New Stand.

I'll be behind enemy lines in that case!

Got one for Ardan de Gras anyway, hopefully I'll be alright!

Got one for Ardan de Gras anyway, hopefully I'll be alright!

You'll be grand there be a good few tipp people all over the ground.tickets seem to be going fast, anybody I've talked too today have them got

sound job!

Tickets allocation sold out in cahir in an hour in Supervalu

Still some in Clonmel's Centra. Not that far from Cahir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

What kind of injury list have we? Just wondering is there any other loss than Bergin?

Advertisement