Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

From Tipperary.gaa.ie

Clean Ireland Recycling Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship Round 3 Draw

posted an hour ago by sites tipperary [ updated 54 minutes ago ] The draw for Round 3 of the Clean Ireland Recycling Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship took place on Monday evening July 1st and is as follows -

Moycarkey-Borris v Roscrea
    Toomevara v Templederry Kenyons
    Nenagh Eire Og v Upperchurch-Drombane
    Borris-Ileigh v Cappawhite or Burgess

The semi-final draw for the Seamus O'Riain Cup is as follows -
    Thurles Sarsfields v Borrisokane
    Lorrha-Dorrha v Carrick Davins

The Senior Hurling relegation semi-final draw is as follows -
    Moneygall v Cashel King Cormacs
    Boherlahan-Dualla v Golden-Kilfeacle

What kind of injury list have we? Just wondering is there any other loss than Bergin?

AFAIK we've a clean bill of health, Bergers aside. Apparently Bergin was going to be tried in the forwards before his injury so Foxy would have reverted to no7 (which he will now as a replacement for Bergin)

Gar Ryan is back and i think he will get the nod in the wing forward slot. Woody apparently scored 6 points off Rocky in training recently. He may get the nod ahead of the captain.

I think the lineup will be though (not saying that it should be this but that i think it will be)

Cummins

Saint
    Curran
    Cahill

Foxy
    O'Mahony
    Paudie

Brendan
    Noel

Gar Ryan
    Bonnar
    Bubbles

Forde
    Johno
    S Bourke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Ya I had heard Bergin was moving up in the numbers alright. Certainly has impressed us to give him credit. A few more established names should take note. I see ya have no room for Seamie C there Tipp Gunner!! Friendless in the county he seems.. I won't be arguing with you either...

Ya I had heard Bergin was moving up in the numbers alright. Certainly has impressed us to give him credit. A few more established names should take note. I see ya have no room for Seamie C there Tipp Gunner!! Friendless in the county he seems.. I won't be arguing with you either...

When your 6'3 and bulky and yet big games continue to pass you by then your indeed certainly going to have your critics

• Registered Users Posts: 18 the player

No Seamie Cal, I agree with TIpp Gunner. This guy has had so many chances and failed to impress. Stylish, and skillful, he has let him self down in a big way.
    Nolan Park will be a cauldron, and brave souls are needed. I am doubtful that we have enough of those, but i pray I am mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

AFAIK we've a clean bill of health, Bergers aside. Apparently Bergin was going to be tried in the forwards before his injury so Foxy would have reverted to no7 (which he will now as a replacement for Bergin)

Gar Ryan is back and i think he will get the nod in the wing forward slot. Woody apparently scored 6 points off Rocky in training recently. He may get the nod ahead of the captain.

I think the lineup will be though (not saying that it should be this but that i think it will be)

Cummins

Saint
    Curran
    Cahill

Foxy
    O'Mahony
    Paudie

Brendan
    Noel

Gar Ryan
    Bonnar
    Bubbles

Forde
    Johno
    S Bourke

No Lar?

No Lar?

Strangely enough i had forgotten all about him but i think O'Shea will go for as much battlers and aggression in the forwards and keep Lar in reserve. He might be better to come into this sort of game as an impact sub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Strangely enough i had forgotten all about him but i think O'Shea will go for as much battlers and aggression in the forwards and keep Lar in reserve. He might be better to come into this sort of game as an impact sub

I disagree, I know his form isn't great, but I'd say he wants revenge against KK for last year. A goal from him could be the difference. That KK defense looked mighty shakey against the Dubs, but your line up for all the hard workers, has no real cutting edge imo. I'd definitely start him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Before we get too caught up with the hurlers, how about a big WELL DONE to the footballers who showed tremendous spirit against Galway, to come back to training after a 17 defeat to Kerry and put your all into int deserves great credit.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Can anyone tell me why the Tipp football goalkeeper or even anyone who comes after him cannot take most of the frees from the 45 meter line and thereabouts, can we learn from Dublin and Tyrone in this respect. We missed so many scoreable frees on Saturday night, if we converted them we could have won the game. I hope someone has a word in Peter Creedons ear.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

I disagree, I know his form isn't great, but I'd say he wants revenge against KK for last year. A goal from him could be the difference. That KK defense looked mighty shakey against the Dubs, but your line up for all the hard workers, has no real cutting edge imo. I'd definitely start him.

Tbh i half wonder does he know what revenge means or what motivates him at all on the field. Apart from that league game in March he has been a dream to mark for their backs. We had the circus coming to Croker with his antics last August and then he then reverted to type in the league final where his impact was pure zilch. One handpass but a pretty poor showing. Give me Eoin Kelly and John O'Brien over him any day of the week.

Just like Callanan i just dont trust him anymore and i think Saturday could be the last time we see Lar Corbett in the Tipp shirt along with Brendan Cummins and also Eoin and Johno should they make an appearance.

I see where your coming from with the risk of playing too many hard workers but i think the key is too keep that ball beyond the Kilkenny 40 as much as possible and then we have Bubbles, Forde and Shane Bourke who can make things happen. If we have fancy Dans who are just going to let Kilkenny catch clean and clear without pressure well then its good night Irene

[QUOTE=Xenophile;85342724]Can anyone tell me why the Tipp football goalkeeper or even anyone who comes after him cannot take most of the frees from the 45 meter line and thereabouts, can we learn from Dublin and Tyrone in this respect. We missed so many scoreable frees on Saturday night, if we converted them we could have won the game. I hope someone has a word in Peter Creedons ear.[/QUOTE]

To be fair to Cracker this thing of goalies taken frees is relatively new and i suppose he comes from a different generation of goalkeepers in that respect. Im not sure Cracker is the best as kickouts either tbh. Its probably the one weakness of his game. Great shot stopper though as well as being a brilliant servant and shot stopper

Evan Comerford might have been ideal in this situation only he was rumoured to have been jettisoned from the u21 setup due to Soccer commitments

To be fair to Cracker this thing of goalies taken frees is relatively new and i suppose he comes from a different generation of goalkeepers in that respect. Im not sure Cracker is the best as kickouts either tbh. Its probably the one weakness of his game. Great shot stopper though as well as being a brilliant servant and shot stopper

He has tremendous power and I would say that when the target is obvious, with his sometimes low trajectory 45's would be easy enough for him.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Before we get too caught up with the hurlers, how about a big WELL DONE to the footballers who showed tremendous spirit against Galway, to come back to training after a 17 defeat to Kerry and put your all into int deserves great credit.

I had mentioned the footballers above and how unlucky they were with the goal chances and yes they do deserve credit but Tipp football seems to be in a vicious cycle of one step forward and 2 steps back. We really need to climb up the league system rapid in order to bring Tipp football to the next level and id imagine the majority of the All Ireland minor winning team from 2011 will have the ability to take us forward. I think they are on a higher technical level then the existing seniors because of the coaching which has been put into them.

Xenophile wrote: »
    He has tremendous power and I would say that when the target is obvious, with his sometimes low trajectory 45's would be easy enough for him.

I suppose kicking out and frees are 2 completely different situations....what your suggesting might be worth trying in training no doubt but we will have to wait til 2014 for that where Cracker may not be even involved but yes they should try experiment with the keepers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'm not really concerned with the team because I think we may be in for a few surprises. There is no way he drops Shane McGrath. I'd like to see it like Tipp_Gunner but I just don't see it happening. I just hope the team picked do themselves justice. I just hope we don't lose by 6+ points. I think that'd be the nail in the coffin for some lads.

I'm not really concerned with the team because I think we may be in for a few surprises. There is no way he drops Shane McGrath. I'd like to see it like Tipp_Gunner but I just don't see it happening. I just hope the team picked do themselves justice. I just hope we don't lose by 6+ points. I think that'd be the nail in the coffin for some lads.

There will be big big changes in Tipperary Senior hurling if that happens. I seen the u21s ruthlessly blitz Kilkenny in the first half last night like men who had a point to prove so a few of them will come into contention next year and the deadwood will be phased out.

We have some wonderful minors in the pipeline also so the future is bright and with Eamon O'Shea at the helm id have every faith that Tipp will reaffirm themselves in the upper echelon in the next few years. For this year though our expectations cant go any further than Saturday night. While we have the ability to win the game i would have real doubt as to whether we have the stomach for it.

Tipp are caught in a vicious cycle just like Dublin football were up to the time of Pat Gilroy's arrival but Gilroy showed transition can be successful when he phased out the posers who had failed Dublin in the business end of the season year on year. Don't forget they were hammered by Kerry in 2009 before going on to become contenders and eventual winners within the next 2 seasons. He left a promising legacy for Jim Gavin to carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Wouldn't agree that Lar's form hasn't been great. In fact he was one of our best players in the league, apart from the final! Things only happened in the forward line when he was playing. But maybe we can't set any store on league performances. He only featured for a few minutes against Limerick.
    Frankly, I will be amazed if he and Kelly don't start on Saturday. There's only about twenty minutes in Kelly nowadays but it's important that someone sets the tone in the forward line from the word go, and Eoin has the leadership qualities to do that. I would expect Lar or Noel McGrath to start at either 11 or 15 respectively. We really need to have all our forwards holding their positions and not give Kk a free defender by withdrawing Noel to midfield. If Noel starts at 11 he can support our midfield. I think we need someone like Woody around the middle who will run at Kk and create openings - Shane McGrath doesn't seem to have the engine for it anymore. Of course Woody would have to curtail his tendency to take potshots.
    The only way to beat Kk is to run at them: look at how the Dublin half-back line carried the ball out of defence and linked up with their forwards. That was part of what Tipp did in 2010. Paudie Maher needs to throw off the shackles and start breaking tackles again and bursting forward as he used to do - without overcarrying and losing possession, of course. Bergin will be a loss as he had the ability to break forward as well.
    It will be a big, big test for Jason Forde, assuming he starts, but he has the temperament and the qualities for such a game, I think.
    Kk will be favorites to win this, I believe. Both teams have question marks hanging over them, but I think that there are more hanging over Tipp than Kk. It was raw guts and blind hurling instinct that won them a draw against Dublin and kept them in the game in the replay when they were well and truly on the ropes.
    The big question for Kk is: can they raise those battle-weary limbs to that pitch again, for the third week in succession? The narrow pitch at Nowlan park will help them in that regard.
    For Tipp there are a multitude of questions, the big one being: can they erase the nightmarish memories of last August and win back the hearts of their supporters? They have flopped badly in all the major tests they have faced since that day - so, even if Kk seem vulnerable and a bit jaded they may still have enough in the tank to see off what many hurling pundits now regard as a brittle Tipp team.
    That is why I will be travelling to Nowlan Park on Saturday evening with flags flying, wanting to believe in these players, wanting them to prove the naysayers wrong, especially those who say the men who wear the blue and gold nowadays are soft - but in my heart not really knowing what to expect from them. Oh, the agonising uncertainty of it!!
    C'mon the Blue and Gold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 the player

Sorry cant agree. Corbett has been a liability for a couple of years now. spending two much time writing books and articles for newspapers. He was ok during the league but was found out in the final against KK. His contribution these days is down to a few hand passes per game. He would have been dropped in any other county, and there in lies the problem. He is picked on reputation alone. The last day in Nolan Park was embarrassing, as the Kk crowd jeered his every calamity. He is a distraction we dont need. His discipline has also left him, borne out of frustration, at not being able to perform at his best anymore.
    Like a lot of this current panel he traded fame for hard work, and now he is reaping what he sowed. He should be dropped full stop. Whens the last time he scored in a meaningful match?
    This game demands courage and fighters, KK have them in abundence. We dont.
    If the Kilkenny legs hold out, they will win.
    I was reading Vincent Hogan in the Indo and said Tipperary have lost the trust of their supporters. Fair point, its hard to believe in them they have let us down so many times. Now is the hour to regain that trust boys. Long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

the player wrote: »
    Sorry cant agree. Corbett has been a liability for a couple of years now. spending two much time writing books and articles for newspapers. He was ok during the league but was found out in the final against KK. His contribution these days is down to a few hand passes per game. He would have been dropped in any other county, and there in lies the problem. He is picked on reputation alone. The last day in Nolan Park was embarrassing, as the Kk crowd jeered his every calamity. He is a distraction we dont need. His discipline has also left him, borne out of frustration, at not being able to perform at his best anymore.
    Like a lot of this current panel he traded fame for hard work, and now he is reaping what he sowed. He should be dropped full stop. Whens the last time he scored in a meaningful match?
    This game demands courage and fighters, KK have them in abundence. We dont.
    If the Kilkenny legs hold out, they will win.
    I was reading Vincent Hogan in the Indo and said Tipperary have lost the trust of their supporters. Fair point, its hard to believe in them they have let us down so many times. Now is the hour to regain that trust boys. Long overdue.

Ridiculous statement. Most of these players were part of the the 2008-2011 panel that restored pride in the jersey, they've given more commitment to Tipperary hurling than most people ever will and they deserve our respect. We've had a few bad days in the last 2years but it was these lads that built up our expectations. They've given us far more reason to cheer than to moan and to them i'm thankful.

It's hard to believe we're still determined to bury these players and their attitude on the week of such a big game, now is the time to get behind them, wish them well on Saturday and go cheer our lungs out in support for them. I for one can't wait for Sat.

Short memory and fickle opinion is a trait real supporters don't have

• Advertisement

OAOB wrote: »
    Ridiculous statement. Most of these players were part of the the 2008-2011 panel that restored pride in the jersey, they've given more commitment to Tipperary hurling than most people ever will and they deserve our respect. We've had a few bad days in the last 2years but it was these lads that built up our expectations. They've given us far more reason to cheer than to moan and to them i'm thankful.

It's hard to believe we're still determined to bury these players and their attitude on the week of such a big game, now is the time to get behind them, wish them well on Saturday and go cheer our lungs out in support for them. I for one can't wait for Sat.

Short memory and fickle opinion is a trait real supporters don't have

But the fact of the matter is the same players who have put in that performance level from 08 - 11 haven't performed any way near their capability level since the Munster final in 2011 and when it was put up to them physically in the 2011 final the house of cards fell down after getting a warning in the semi final vs Dublin prior to that. The team didn't go on and learn, evolve and comeback from that experience like we would expect them to do, but rather that they actually devolved at an incredibly faster rate. After the disappointment of 2011, last years farce seen 13 loose outfield players, no shape whatsoever and a man who was regarded to be our biggest scoring threat 'marking' their wing back and then to follow it up with an equally abject performance this year against Limerick

The criticism stems from the fact that players with vast experience from those years you mentioned have not only stood still in their development as players when they should be improving year on year, they have regressed in many cases

Ill be over the moon if Tipperary could pull it off Saturday night but i wont be getting carried away either because it will be just one step on the long long road to redemption which they have created for themselves

Winners of Saturday night play Wexford in R3 of the qualifiers by the way.

Wexford were first team drawn out of the hat but does anyone know if it will be played in a neutral venue or in Wexford park? Waterford play the winners of Clare v Laois (with due respect to Laois this will more than likely be Clare)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Winners of Saturday night play Wexford in R3 of the qualifiers by the way.

Wexford were first team drawn out of the hat but does anyone know if it will be played in a neutral venue or in Wexford park? Waterford play the winners of Clare v Laois (with due respect to Laois this will more than likely be Clare)
    Are you sure about this?

Tipp v kk fully sold out, GAA losing out big time over additional revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Are you sure about this?

It's bullsh1t. The venue's too small for such a big game..

Are you sure about this?

Scrap that i actually read the article on Hoganstand wrong. Draw hasn't been made yet :o

In such a case though will phase 3 games be played at a neutral venue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Looks a good team...i would switch positions between Bubbles and Jayo Forde. Bring in Lar or Pa for Shane Bourke - bring on Kelly as a steady head with twenty to go as the KK legs tire...If I was on the kk management I'd be looking to exploit Foxy's height...Walter Walsh or one of the Fennellys - which is kind of scary to think about...

Bergin in the forwards is an interesting to think about ....he is a stronger runner with ball in hand...alas that is not an option now...who would you put on frees? Bubbles or Forde?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I don't think Clare will play Waterford again so soon? Has to be Waterford for tipp or kk? Not sure on that though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I don't think Clare will play Waterford again so soon? Has to be Waterford for tipp or kk? Not sure on that though...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is correct.

Looks a good team...i would switch positions between Bubbles and Jayo Forde. Bring in Lar or Pa for Shane Bourke - bring on Kelly as a steady head with twenty to go as the KK legs tire...If I was on the kk management I'd be looking to exploit Foxy's height...Walter Walsh or one of the Fennellys - which is kind of scary to think about...

Bergin in the forwards is an interesting to think about ....he is a stronger runner with ball in hand...alas that is not an option now...who would you put on frees? Bubbles or Forde?

Id imagine Noel will be on frees or at least long rangers with maybe Forde closer to goal assuming he starts. Your right about Foxy, id really worry about him up against a monster like Walsh under the high ball but one thing about him is his ability to bottle up lads and tussle. I reckon Tipp will need to cut off or at least minimize the KK ability to supply to that wing no matter who is there with O'Briens height in mind.

AFAIK Mick Fennelly is 50/50 to play with rumours of Shefflin also but personally id be amazed if Cody chooses to risk either him, Henry or both. It would be a bad sign on his part if he has to put in half fit men just as he did in 2010. I think Cody will have enough faith in the panel he has at his disposal to do the job. Larkin who isnt having the best of seasons will probably go on O'Brien.

• Advertisement

Just thinking that myself there. Seems though it hasn't been ruled out as a possibility so far but id imagine the winners of ourselves and the Cats could end up playing Waterford to avoid this situation from arising.

Advertisement