Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

One thing that annoyed me against Limerick was the switch of Bubbles to wing and Johno inside to the corner - this was after Bubbles had scored 1-3...and johno feeding or involved in the possession to provide those scores and then they were switched - it was a mistake...Bubbles is a finisher and the closer to goals he is the better - Gar Ryan has scored 2-4 and 2-5 at full in the last few club games - albeit in games against poor opposition - he gave JJ lots of it in 2010 dragging him out deep - maybe he might be asked to test JJ's legs next Saturday...I think we need to go for something different on JJ rather than contesting high balls against him - maybe even bubbles on him - let him chase young lads - Is there argument for Buggy at full at some stage? ...I think forde should be put on Tommy? Whats he got to lose? Just let him hurl him and run direct at him!

Great article re Seamus Hennessy from May 4th which i came across. Speedy recovery to him. If he could come back fit he would be a fantastic asset and when you think of the margin that Kilruane lost to Toom by recently he could have been the difference

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0504/ireland/tipp-blow-as-hennessy-set-for-more-knee-surgery-230368.html
    Tipp blow as Hennessy set for more knee surgery

By Jackie Cahill
    Saturday, May 04, 2013

Tipperary’s 2010 All-Ireland SHC medallist Seamus Hennessy has revealed his championship season is in jeopardy as he requires further surgery on an ongoing knee problem.

The versatile Kilruane MacDonagh’s clubman returned to intercounty action in January but missed the entire National League after suffering an injury setback.

And writing in an online blog, Hennessy has revealed the mental challenges associated with trying to return to full fitness.

The two-time All-Ireland minor medallist revealed: "For the past two years, I have had a knee injury that has left me missing pretty much all of the 2011, 2012 and most of the 2013 GAA seasons and feeling a lot of discomfort in day to day living. I have undergone surgery twice previously (and am having some more minor surgery again this week) to try and cure the problem. I have had times where I’d experience pain when simply walking around at home and the injury has become a constant in my life for the last 27 months. As a result I have had to work on overcoming this obstacle, both in the physical sense through rehabilitation exercises, and mentally by employing coping mechanisms to ensure I continue to get better. Now, I know that many people are suffering much worse than I am, and that I am extremely lucky in comparison to what some people have to deal with, but I can only offer my own experience of dealing with my obstacle, much like every person can only explain their own situation."

Hennessy, who also won an All-Ireland U21 medal in 2010, added: "Surrounding yourself with good people is vital. Whether your obstacle is physical, mental or otherwise, being around people who support you, offers you guidance, listens to you and stays positive is critical to overcome any obstacle. Living in the present moment is critical also. Overcoming obstacles require you to deal with the situation as it is right now, not in the past or into the future, right now in the present. I’m not the only person who ever hurt their knee, and you’re unlikely to be the only person ever who faced the obstacle your facing, so how you deal with the challenge is the important thing. Ultimate success in overcoming the obstacle is determined by your attitude to it."

One thing that annoyed me against Limerick was the switch of Bubbles to wing and Johno inside to the corner - this was after Bubbles had scored 1-3...and johno feeding or involved in the possession to provide those scores and then they were switched - it was a mistake...Bubbles is a finisher and the closer to goals he is the better - Gar Ryan has scored 2-4 and 2-5 at full in the last few club games - albeit in games against poor opposition - he gave JJ lots of it in 2010 dragging him out deep - maybe he might be asked to test JJ's legs next Saturday...I think we need to go for something different on JJ rather than contesting high balls against him - maybe even bubbles on him - let him chase young lads - Is there argument for Buggy at full at some stage? ...I think forde should be put on Tommy? Whats he got to lose? Just let him hurl him and run direct at him!

Surprised with that myself. He was flying it in the corner and more importantly we were getting the ball to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 the player

Fact is these players have not done it in three years. The Tipp Gunner remains grounded in reality (thank God).
    To many people cutting boys an awful lot of slack. We lost a chance to finish off Kilkenny, and dominate the hurling landscape in 2011. I hope we are not going to throw another gilt edged chance to finish them off on Saturday.
    Even if we win we have a long way to go to claiming back Liam Mc Carthy. Lets face facts here, Dublin were miles better than Kilkenny over the two matches. If Paul Ryan had taken goal and free chances both days, they would have won easily. Kilkenny are missing Michael Fennelley big time. I would have to say no excuses if we are beaten saturday. We were murdered last year by KK, if there is any pride in the jersey; we will respond in kind.

• Advertisement

Yes...he suits KK very much...the comments he made after the semi-final last year (or was it the year before) about Fennelly jostling Shane McGrath to the ground and him thinking at that moment "Game Over" - I think are grounds to object to the offaly man referring this match! That a referree should be thinking consciously about who is going to win a game is a shcoker nevermind actually deciding during the game!!! Tight pitch and Brian Gavin...two factors we don't need! You can also bet your last euros that Fennelly and Tyrell will be on that pitch no matter what happens...too much at stake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

the player wrote: »
    Fact is these players have not done it in three years. The Tipp Gunner remains grounded in reality (thank God).
    To many people cutting boys an awful lot of slack. We lost a chance to finish off Kilkenny, and dominate the hurling landscape in 2011. I hope we are not going to throw another gilt edged chance to finish them off on Saturday.
    Even if we win we have a long way to go to claiming back Liam Mc Carthy. Lets face facts here, Dublin were miles better than Kilkenny over the two matches. If Paul Ryan had taken goal and free chances both days, they would have won easily. Kilkenny are missing Michael Fennelley big time. I would have to say no excuses if we are beaten saturday. We were murdered last year by KK, if there is any pride in the jersey; we will respond in kind.

So the last two munster titles mean nothing?
    As i said they've disappointed us a few times in the last few years but they've also given us lots to cheer about.
    The reality is we've a 50/50 chance of beating kk this weekend, if we hurl our hearts out and still lose I'll be happy with these lads so long as the effort and passion are there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Thoughts on this talk I hear about Cody gambling and playing Shefflin and Fennelly? I'd say its just kite flying..... He must feel his back is to the wall though, if he don't chance something and Tipp beat them he's left very exposed. Unless of course they are totally unable to play, which seems unlikely, especially in the case of Fennelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

It was on Beat fm this morning that Shefflin will be back on Saturday, but Beat fm isn't the most dependable source. I'd say if either Shefflin or Fennelly are back on Saturday that they are being rushed back and won't be fit enough for a big match and shows Codys desperation. Unless they are on subs and come on with 10mins to go would they make a major impact on the game (fingers cross it would be too late at that stage :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

my team anyway would be cummins,saint,curran,cahill,b maher,o mahony, p maer, g ryan,noel McGrath,johno,lar,bonnar,bubbles,s bourke,kelly,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

my team anyway would be cummins,saint,curran,cahill,b maher,o mahony, p maer, g ryan,noel McGrath,johno,lar,bonnar,bubbles,s bourke,kelly,

I like it!

The big thing with playing Brendan Maher wing back is we are losing his scoring potential. He had a very good league final. Dont get me wroing he'd do a job no problem but its what we are losing in the middle of the field attacking wise. Gar is better suited to wing forward also. That all said it is a team that would win alot of games....except perhaps not this one

Why Shane Bourke? Taken off at half-time the last day? Pa Bourke was better than him....won a few frees- had a point - missed a few too - bad ones - but at least he was putting himself in those positions? Callinan should definitely have been taken off before Pa...I winced when I heard Pa was starting ahead of Forde - but to be fair to him he was far from the worst out in the forwards the last day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭aisr1ofk43dpy5

Is the tipp team to be named tonight does anyone know thanks

Is the tipp team to be named tonight does anyone know thanks

9pm. Tune into Tipp fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Gearoid Ryan should be in the XV IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭aisr1ofk43dpy5

9pm. Tune into Tipp fm

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Thoughts on this talk I hear about Cody gambling and playing Shefflin and Fennelly? I'd say its just kite flying..... He must feel his back is to the wall though, if he don't chance something and Tipp beat them he's left very exposed. Unless of course they are totally unable to play, which seems unlikely, especially in the case of Fennelly.

Couldn't see him playing Henry - he hasn't struck a sliothar in anger since when, last October? And I think Cody would prefer not to have a circus of speculation building around will Henry won't Henry play. Training behind closed doors is probably designed to cut out idle speculation and to keep his players focussed.
    Can't see that he has any rabbits to pull out of the hat, as he did with Walter Walsh last September. There is talk of some U21 players but I don't think Cody is one for dramatic promotion to the senior starting 15. Walsh was already on the senior panel prior to his All - Ireland call up. I think Cody has to play the hand he's got but you can be sure he'll do it to maximum effect.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Fennelly come on though - either starting and letting him last as long he can, or as a sub. Tyrell didn't look 100% against Dublin - he was caught out and left floundering a number of times. He'll probably play though - if only to try and psyche Lar out of it. Murphy, I wouldn't be too sure of.
    It will be interesting to see where he places Walter Walsh - on Conor O'Brien if he starts? In on Paul Curran
    These two teams are well used to one another so I can't see what permutations would be a surprise to anyone.
    What will be of greater interest is the combination of forwards E.O'Shea will put out. The outcome of the game will hang on that, I think.

• Advertisement

Tipperary Senior Hurling Team to play Kilkenny this Saturday night in The All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Qualifier Phase 2: Brendan Cummins, Paddy Stapleton, Paul Curran, Mickey Cahill, Conor O'Brien, Conor O'Mahony, Paudie Maher, Brendan Maher, Shane McGrath (Captain), Bonner Maher, Noel McGrath, John O'Brien, Bubbles O'Dwyer, Eoin Kelly, Larry Corbett.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Tipperary Senior Hurling Team to play Kilkenny this Saturday night in The All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Qualifier Phase 2: Brendan Cummins, Paddy Stapleton, Paul Curran, Mickey Cahill, Conor O'Brien, Conor O'Mahony, Paudie Maher, Brendan Maher, Shane McGrath (Captain), Bonner Maher, Noel McGrath, John O'Brien, Bubbles O'Dwyer, Eoin Kelly, Larry Corbett.

How'd you have that information so quick!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Not happy with that team. I'm not going to select out individuals but I think there are a couple of poor choices there. Lets hope that the lads can do the business.

Time for some of the lads to either shít or get off the pot now. Last chance saloon for alot of them.

First thoughts, not far off ideal, think Forde has been the big loser, felt he is well entitled to a lash on the first 15. But O Shea is a better man than me to know what's what. Delighted to see Eoin Kelly playing in this particular tie.. We know he will fight like a bear. Experience, leadership, guts, he has em all in spades. Not to mention his talent. The narrow confines of Nowlan Pk mean his elder legs won't be as tested as in others venues. KK will be watching him like a hawk, perhaps even with 2 men on him.

It's there for them now if they want it bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

It's a pretty good team in my opinion, granted conor o Brien is a weakness in defence but shane mcgrath is capable of playing at this level and has a lot to prove, plenty of scoring forwards as usual with an inside forward line well capable of getting a few goals.

It's not our best team though but I'm not involved in the team each week so I suppose we have to trust that management have got it right.

Plenty of firepower on the bench also which could tip the match in our favour against a tiring kk team
    Of

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

The team is as I would have expected. Bubbles was going to start after scoring 1-3 the last day. Kelly is in there for leadership. There are a few there who will undoubtedly have to perform well in the opening stages or they could be called ashore.
    Our backs are a solid unit and won't give away much easily. Paddy Stapleton and Michael Cahill have been in good form this year and Conor O Brien will have a point to prove.
    We have Woodlock, Shane Bourke, Pa Bourke, Seamus Callanan and Jason Forde to come in if anyone from 8-15 is not pulling their weight.
    It will take an almighty effort but the consequences of losing and the revenge factor should spur these lads on.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

Kilkenny team

E Murphy
    C Fogarty JJ Delaney J Tyrrell
    T Walsh B Hogan K Joyce
    M Rice L Ryan
    W Walsh R Power E Larkin
    C Fennelly R Hogan A Fogarty

Subs: D Herity P Hogan P Walsh R Doyle TJ Reid M Ruth G Aylward W Phelan M Kelly J Brennan B Kennedy

No sign of Michael Fennelly or Shefflin on their subs. The Kilkenny bench looks fairly tame, no experienced heads there apart from Reid.

It would still not surprise me in the least to see Fennelly make an appearance on Saturday

KK team out now, Murphy, C Fogarty, Delaney, Tyrell, T Walsh, B Hogan, Joyce, Rice, Ryan, W Walsh, Power, Larkin, Colin Fennelly, R Hogan, A Fogarty.

No Henry or M Fennelly in the squad.. Thats not to say it won't happpen mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Kilkenny team

E Murphy
    C Fogarty JJ Delaney J Tyrrell
    T Walsh B Hogan K Joyce
    M Rice L Ryan
    W Walsh R Power E Larkin
    C Fennelly R Hogan A Fogarty

Subs: D Herity P Hogan P Walsh R Doyle TJ Reid M Ruth G Aylward W Phelan M Kelly J Brennan B Kennedy

No sign of Michael Fennelly or Shefflin on their subs. The Kilkenny bench looks fairly tame, no experienced heads there apart from Reid.

It would still not surprise me in the least to see Fennelly make an appearance on Saturday

It's pretty much the team that started against Dublin, isn't it? TJ Reid has lost out to Colin Fennelly. Lester Ryan has the potential to do a lot of damage around midfield, he did well there in the league final but wasn't so hot against Dublin. Maybe his excellent league form won't continue into the championship.
    Have to hope Brendan Maher will continue his good form around centre-field and that Shane McGrath will rediscover his.
    Pretty sure all those forwards will be reshuffled following throw-in and there is an awful lot of speed in those forwards. Hopefully, they will be a bit heavy-legged playing a third weekend in a row.

Advertisement