Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

It's a pretty good team in my opinion, granted conor o Brien is a weakness in defence but shane mcgrath is capable of playing at this level and has a lot to prove, plenty of scoring forwards as usual with an inside forward line well capable of getting a few goals.

It's not our best team though but I'm not involved in the team each week so I suppose we have to trust that management have got it right.

Plenty of firepower on the bench also which could tip the match in our favour against a tiring kk team
    Of

Foxy has had a very good year. No shortage of heart but he lacks height badly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Brendan Cummins

Paddy Stapleton Paul Curran Mickey Cahill

Conor O'Brien Conor O'Mahony Paudie Maher

Brendan Maher Shane McGrath (C)

Bonner Maher Noel McGrath John O'Brien

Bubbles O'Dwyer Eoin Kelly Lar Corbett

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Brendan Cummins

Paddy Stapleton Paul Curran Mickey Cahill

Conor O'Brien Conor O'Mahony Paudie Maher

Brendan Maher Shane McGrath (C)

Bonner Maher Noel McGrath John O'Brien

Bubbles O'Dwyer Eoin Kelly Lar Corbett

Your Three and a quarter hours too late. This was posted at half 8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Have my ticket now so happy out,looking forward to it,I'll have to admit though I'm not very optimistic that we will win but hopefully our lads can up their game massively get a famous victory.......hon the premier county.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I'd take a draw in Nowlan....would be extra time though....or back to Thurles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I'd take a draw in Nowlan....would be extra time though....or back to Thurles?

I'd imagine ET, fixture backlogs etc. If they cant be split after that then its up to Thurles the following Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

Extra time as the winners will be playing Waterford next weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Re-watched the first half of the Limerick v Tipp game last night...Tipp had goals chances...but jesus missed a fair few as well...they seemed to be able to run through...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

How about this from Jackie Cahill in the Examiner?

'Win and all is forgotten. Lose and prepare to face the brickbats'
    July 5, 2013 19:33 by Irish Examiner Sports
    By Jackie Cahill
    Humiliation: 1. The act of humiliating; degradation; 2. The state of being humiliated or disgraced; shame; 3. A humiliating condition or circumstance.
    Historically, humiliation has taken on many forms.
    To this day in China, police use public humiliation as a crime deterrent, believing a practice dating back to ancient times is the best way to ensure an offender won’t do so again.
    Once upon a time in Japan, adulterers were forced to endure public exposure and in colonial America, stocks and pillories imported from Europe held miscreants in the local town square.
    Tipperary’s senior hurlers were subjected to their own very own, very personal form of public humiliation at Croke Park last August.
    There they were filleted in front of 50,220 people.
    All that was missing was rotting apples and tomatoes from those in black and amber.
    It was Tipp’s worst championship defeat since the 1800s and it just happened to be ‘that lot’ from up the road who stripped them naked.
    For Tipperary, this was abject humiliation on a grand scale and boy, did they know all about it over the winter months.
    As tales of wanton wild nights out swept through the county, supporters felt an increasing disconnect.
    In their eyes, if these guys didn’t care, why should they?
    But love for your team is unconditional.
    You’ll forgive them almost anything when they win.
    And you’ll stand behind them this evening when they meet their abusers again.
    Tipperary simply must fight back because they’ve been humiliated before and the chances are that it will happen again, and again, and again, if they don’t put a stop to it.
    At Nowlan Park this evening, Tipperary have the chance to stare down their tormentors and end the hurt.
    A team-talk shouldn’t be needed but if Eamon O’Shea feels the need to speak, he won’t deliver a thundering tirade.
    His words will be measured, calculated, calm.
    Because Tipp don’t need any motivation and if they do, there’s something seriously wrong.
    Not many opportunities come along for a hurler to redeem himself in the eyes of a demanding public.
    But for the players who let down a county when they collapsed in such abject fashion last August, and again at the Gaelic Grounds last month, here it is.
    Win and all is forgotten. Lose and prepare to face the brickbats.
    Unless you die with your boots on, that is.
    Supporters will forgive almost anything if they see effort, workrate, honesty, pride in the jersey.
    Because pretty hurling and well-meaning gameplans are irrelevant to a large extent now.
    This will be hip to hip and head to head.
    A throwback to bygone days.
    A bearpit, a cauldron where only the strongest minds will thrive and survive.
    And that’s why doubts still hover over Tipperary.
    Do they, as Eddie O’Connor wondered this week, have the men?
    Because they certainly have the hurlers.
    O’Shea has some of the finest stickmen in the country at his disposal but he needs more than that against Brian Cody’s wounded All-Ireland champions.
    He needs players who will get straight back up again if they get knocked down.
    He needs players who refuse to bend.
    He needs players with ice in their brains and fire in their bellies. He needs men.
    Because this is so much more than just Tipp against Kilkenny.
    It’s about restoring pride and it’s about showing the bully that he doesn’t scare you any more.
    Because Kilkenny have bullied Tipperary far too often in recent years.
    They’ve driven Tipperary into the ground with hefty shoulders – like the one Michael Fennelly delivered to Shane McGrath in the 2011 All-Ireland final.
    They’ve beaten them in All-Ireland finals and they refused to die until time ran out on them in 2010.
    That victory stopped Kilkenny doing the five-in-a-row but Brian Hogan wasn’t playing, Henry Shefflin limped off in the 12th minute and John Tennyson carried a cruciate knee ligament injury into the game.
    And yet Tipp still struggled to put Kilkenny away.
    Tipp should win tonight but the real measure of Kilkenny is that you think like that because they’re so depleted with injuries.
    Deep down, Eamon O’Shea and his players would love to see Shefflin and Michael Fennelly involved.
    Far better to beat men with men.
    So, will it be the stocks and pillories again for Tipperary or a shower of roses? A fickle public awaits.
    Lose, and retribution will be swift.
    Win, and life inside the bubble will be tolerable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

nerves are at me already besta luck to the lads tomorrow MON DA PREMIER if there is a god please let him be wearing the blue and gold when he wakes up in the morning:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

The nerves have been steadily growing since Monday, will be fever pitch tomorrow... Tis out of our hands now lads, our fingers have done the hard work, all's we can do is sit back and watch... They'll perform I have every faith, just hope its good enough so we can continue spoofing on here for another while! Best of luck to them, enjoy the day to those who are going, and enjoy the pints to those who are not. Tipp Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Probably bad form to do it but it's something I'm curious about. I've a ticket into the Ardan Breatnach uncovered, is there anything/anyone stopping me from getting a seat in the covered part so I've a better view? Can't recall if there was a steward guiding people in to a certain section or not.

Probably bad form to do it but it's something I'm curious about. I've a ticket into the Ardan Breatnach uncovered, is there anything/anyone stopping me from getting a seat in the covered part so I've a better view? Can't recall if there was a steward guiding people in to a certain section or not.

Get there early and as far as i know its on a FCFS basis. I dont think there is a barrier between the covered and uncovered part AFAIK so once you get there early you can venture anywhere. To distinguish it from the Grace Stand opposite i think they just call it 'the uncovered stand'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Well lads its D-day ...... Best of luck to the lads today and see ye all in nowlan park later on!!! The bloody nerves....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Moment of truth has almost arrived, getting over there nice and early, few pints and into the stadium for decent seats, comon the boys!

Best of luck to Tipperary. Im fairly relaxed about it to be honest. Things surely cant get worse than the jokeshop that was the enormous defeat last year and i certainly dont think less than a year on that we are 18+ worse than the Cats so anything else is a bonus. To be honest i would still make them favourites because they bring an intensity to a game that we are not prepared to do. O'Shea needs to be ruthless and take off the underperformers today. If Lar goes 35 mins without touching a ball and letting his man get in umpteen clearances then he should be called to the line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Logging off and heading to Kilkenny soon. Good luck to the lads. Put up a good fight and give it everything. C'mon Tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Cats look savagely up for it.
    Another poor start from our captain:mad:

so lads where do we go from here?surely end of the road for cummins,curran,o mahoney,johhno,kelly and lar.are we looking at 2 or 3 years of rebuilding?id like to see him oversee it but will eamon stay on to do it?hard to see past kk winning it again and they havnt even started scoring goals yet.long wait until jan even longer wait til next summer:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Mikey Cahill would be a great captain next year.

COM is only 28 and playing brilliantly. He'll be back next year for sure.

• Advertisement

sorry thought conor was older.id personally give it to bren maher but ya mickey would be a great choice to.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭kittycati

C'mon kk

buggy beag wrote: »
    so lads where do we go from here?surely end of the road for cummins,curran,o mahoney,johhno,kelly and lar.are we looking at 2 or 3 years of rebuilding?id like to see him oversee it but will eamon stay on to do it?hard to see past kk winning it again and they havnt even started scoring goals yet.long wait until jan even longer wait til next summer:(

Yeah alot of intercounty careers are over tonight its fair to say. Few crucial points though were Curran getting injured which meant we lost Brendan Maher in midfield, then Lar who was a threat doing the hamstring. Cummins foolishly gifted Walter Walsh a point at one stage and our failure in the modern era to win primary possession is a huge factor. We won 4 out of our 24 puckouts it simply isnt good enough. I can remember going to Croker back in 2002 for that epic semi when Peter Barry, Richie Mullally and JJ Delaney mopped up everything that came their way and 12 bloody years on Tipperary still have the problem with catching ball. Their philosophy on the type of hurler they produce has to change. We need lads who are prepared to fight like dogs from the 40 up and until we get them we may as well be fish up a tree

Congrats to Kilkenny, the better team won and the game went as i expected tbh

kittycati wrote: »
    C'mon kk

:rolleyes:

Welcome to the Tipp forum kittycati. Amazing you havent contributed to the Kilkenny GAA thread of yet but feel the need to come here and try goad a reaction. A classic troll. Its real pathetic to be honest. Is it not enough to just win the game?

probaly met someone in the pub and got told kk won thats the usual way with their supporters.the only joy i get from them winning the all ireland is when the camera goes around the crowd at the end when their running around with the trophy and all you can see is well basically nothing because theres noone ever there great team with 20 supporters:P

Yeah alot of intercounty careers are over tonight its fair to say. Few crucial points though were Curran getting injured which meant we lost Brendan Maher in midfield, then Lar who was a threat doing the hamstring. Cummins foolishly gifted Walter Walsh a point at one stage and our failure in the modern era to win primary possession is a huge factor. We won 4 out of our 24 puckouts it simply isnt good enough. I can remember going to Croker back in 2002 for that epic semi when Peter Barry, Richie Mullally and JJ Delaney mopped up everything that came their way and 12 bloody years on Tipperary still have the problem with catching ball. Their philosophy on the type of hurler they produce has to change. We need lads who are prepared to fight like dogs from the 40 up and until we get them we may as well be fish up a tree

Congrats to Kilkenny, the better team won and the game went as i expected tbh
    ya its a pity lar had to go off was really starting to grow into the game but i dread to think what the score could have been if a fully fit mick fennelly was playing.like you said the problems with winning primary possession has been evident with a long time particulary in the half forward line but we have never seemed to find the answer have we.never seen bonnar maher play as badly has he has been this year.i have never seen him playing club level does he ever score points at club level?really looks a one trick pony.all well and good winning the ball but surely at this level you got to be able to tap over a point or two and he never looks like he has the ability to do it

probaly met someone in the pub and got told kk won thats the usual way with their supporters.the only joy i get from them winning the all ireland is when the camera goes around the crowd at the end when their running around with the trophy and all you can see is well basically nothing because theres noone ever there great team with 20 supporters:P

I thought a few more could have stood up and gave Lar a clap at the very least if anything to return the favour from 2010 when Henry got the huge round of applause. Amateur athletes at the end of the day. Even more despicable was to actually jeer them.

Dont get me wrong i know alot of absolutely brilliant Kilkenny people who are terrific supporters and are well able to take the good with the bad. I have many good friends from the Marble county who I do have great banter with and there is great knowledgeable Kilkenny posters on boards but id like to think the few jeerers tonight were just a minority of morons lucky enough to get a ticket for such a huge occasion.

ya its a pity lar had to go off was really starting to grow into the game but i dread to think what the score could have been if a fully fit mick fennelly was playing.like you said the problems with winning primary possession has been evident with a long time particulary in the half forward line but we have never seemed to find the answer have we.never seen bonnar maher play as badly has he has been this year.i have never seen him playing club level does he ever score points at club level?really looks a one trick pony.all well and good winning the ball but surely at this level you got to be able to tap over a point or two and he never looks like he has the ability to do it

We have Woodlock and Bonnar who are great men to win ball but have very little hurling in them and then the flip side is the many with loads of hurling in them and little desire to fight. Look at Dublin last week for example you had Keaney and Sutcliffe who caused the world of bother.

Callanan who is 6'3 was cleaned on a few occasions. John O'Brien was redundant apart from the lovely point he got. The planning for 2014 needs to start tomorrow morning. Colm O'Riordan is definitely one i would call up along with John Meagher, Dylan Fitzelle and Niall O'Meara. I would rather bring on the youngsters and give one or two more years in the wilderness then persist with some of the flops any longer. We've wasted too many years

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭kittycati

Chin up lads, Tbh only a bit of banter kk did well considering all the injuries. Sport, you win some you lose some. ;)

• Advertisement

I thought a few more could have stood up and gave Lar a clap at the very least if anything to return the favour from 2010 when Henry got the huge round of applause. Amateur athletes at the end of the day. Even more despicable was to actually jeer them.

Dont get me wrong i know alot of absolutely brilliant Kilkenny people who are terrific supporters and are well able to take the good with the bad. I have many good friends from the Marble county who I do have great banter with and there is great knowledgeable Kilkenny posters on boards but id like to think the few jeerers tonight were just a minority of morons lucky enough to get a ticket for such a huge occasion.

ya agreed but lar to them i suppose is the same as tommy walsh to us.if it was him the tipp supporters would have jeered just the way the game is gone i suppose and im not saying im an angel as i probaly would have jeered to but more so getting caught up in the heat of it rather than wishing anybody harm.

Advertisement