Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Tipp agreed to play on Saturday because the Kerry boss , Eamonn Fitzmaurice is playing for Finuge on Sunday in a club game .

Only in the GAA. Love it.

It has certainly gone very quiet on this thread lately. I would have expected several posts on the failure to make any real progress in reducing the number of senior hurling clubs in the county. Looks like it will be down to 31 by 2014!!. A long way from the desired number. However the McGrath Cup continues in Tipperary town tomorrow, After their great win over Cork, Tipp now play Waterford in the semi final. Team is - Paul Fitzgerald, Andrew Morrissey, Paddy Codd, John Coghlan, John O'Callaghan, Seamus Kennedy, Alan Campbell, George Hannigan, Stephen O'Brien, Conor Sweeney, Aldo Matassa, Bill Maher, Liam McGrath, Philip Quirke, Barry Grogan. Just one change with Conor Sweeney coming in for the injured Philip Austin.

Id agree with your sentiment. I suppose the lack of discussion on the issue is down to posters #1) Not expecting overly radical changes #2) Acknowledging that regardless of it being minor adjustments that it is progress all the same and there is probably a bit more optimism that it will set the corner stones for further progress in the future.

28 will be far from the ideal number but im on for any progress we can make at this minute. Perhaps its better to implement this slowly and continuously monitor the situation. The divisional championship hampers any radical overhaul in this respect. I do think though we should be targeting a 20 club championship by 2023 at the very least.

Seamus Hennessey (Fez) trying to organise a cycle for a very worthy cause. Very well written post from the young man. He certainly had his fair share of tragedy to deal with

http://seamushennessy89.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/i-get-by-with-a-little-help-from-my-friends

I get by with a little help from my friends.

Posted on January 21, 2013 by fezfez121
    On Friday last, I was lucky to catch a part of the Late Late Show ( it does sound slightly weird to say I was lucky to watch the Late Late!!) dealing with a very relevant but somewhat difficult topic to discuss: the whole area of suicide and depression. The piece on the show was promoting an event called Cycle Against Suicide, much more details of which are available here (http://cycleagainstsuicide.com/index.html).
    Essentially the 14 day cycle around Ireland hopes to raise awareness of the supports available to people/families who suffer from depression, suicidal thoughts or who have lost a loved one through suicide.
    You may wonder where my own interest comes from for such an area but unfortunately I lost my mother to suicide 12 years ago and as a result, suicide is something I have a binding connection to for life. It is not an experience one spends much time preparing for and the shock, hurt and grief you feel can last an incredibly long time, and for some may indeed never subside.
    How I dealt with my own experience was made substantially easier by attending a Rainbows Ireland programme at the time. Rainbows provides a setting and a trained facilitator where children and young people can share and discuss their feelings among other children who have went through a similar experience. As I reflect, I cannot overstate its importance in helping me deal with the issues I faced at the time as it offered me a safe and confidential place to address and overcome these issues.
    This reflection is the catalyst for me trying to make people aware of the Cycle Against Suicide and what it hopes to achieve. Suicide has become a major cause of death in Ireland and support agencies have far more frequent requests for help in the last number of years. The Irish Times reported on July 12 2012 that 525 lives were lost through suicide in 2011 ( 439 men, 86 women), an increase of 7% on 2010. The question I ask upon seeing these figures is how many of these people sought help for how they felt? Could professional help have reduced this number? I would certainly think so.
    The rise in mental health issues from the fallout of the Celtic Tiger and the onset of the current recession has been dramatic. Many young men and women now find themselves unemployed or have had wages decreased substantially, are mired in mortgage debt and ever increasing tax hikes and see no way out apart from the ultimate way out, i.e. to take their own life. Times are very difficult but are they tough enough to warrant taking your own life and not seeing family, friends, or experiencing the endless possibilities life offers ever again? The rise of social media and cyber bullying has made us aware of harrowing stories of teenage girls taking their own lives as a result of online bullying and has now developed into an area that needs to be addressed rapidly in order to prevent further tragedies becoming commonplace in Irish society.
    The whole area of mental health, depression and suicide is a taboo subject not often discussed enough as, I believe, many find it too difficult to speak about their own feelings for a multitude of reasons. It’s crazy in many ways. We get help through grinds if we struggle in the classroom, we get help from trainers in order to get fit, we consult Jamie Oliver books and the likes to cook that very important meal, and we get advice from any number of style magazines on how to look well. Yet when it comes to our thoughts and feelings on the inside, many go quiet and won’t seek help to overcome these issues. Instead they feel trapped and have no way out.
    Depression and suicidal thoughts are such sensitive, individual issues that, in my opinion, one cannot actually overcome them alone due to their difficulty and complexity. Accepting that everything is not perfect and that help is needed is a big decision to make and requires plenty of courage. Seeking out help from friends, family or a trained professional is a great thing to do. Like exercise helps us stay physically fit, talking and sharing will help us stay mentally fit. Whilst nobody else might experience or feel exactly what you do, this doesn’t mean they cannot help you to overcome these feelings.
    I am no expert in this area, nor ever will be, and many might disagree entirely with my views and that’s no problem but I do feel strongly about helping raise awareness of the Cycle Against Suicide and that is the main reason for this post. The less people who see reason to take their own life and the less families who have to question and grieve over why it happened makes the world a better place for everybody.
    All going well, I hope to participate in some part of the cycle to lend my support to the cause. If this post helps in a tiny way to raise awareness, then it’s time very well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Only in the GAA. Love it.

How do you mean??

Its a perfectly practical solution to a fixture clash and suits Tipp aswell as it gives them extra time to recover before their opening League game, its a win win siutuation, now if Kerry were forced to line out in a McGrath Cup Final without their manager present because of a clash with a Club AI semi Final then we would have people saying 'typical - really the GAA can't win!

Seamus Hennessey (Fez) trying to organise a cycle for a very worthy cause. Very well written post from the young man. He certainly had his fair share of tragedy to deal with

Excellently written piece from a very articualte young man who obviously has talents off the field aswell, and as you say a truely worthy cause.

• Advertisement

How do you mean??

Its a perfectly practical solution to a fixture clash and suits Tipp aswell as it gives them extra time to recover before their opening League game, its a win win siutuation, now if Kerry were forced to line out in a McGrath Cup Final without their manager present because of a clash with a Club AI semi Final then we would have people saying 'typical - really the GAA can't win!

Whoa! Take it literally, it's brilliant. I was saying it's a great thing albeit unusual! It's great that Tipp are OK with the day going back and better that the manager is still playing football with his club while managing - tremendous passion. That's odd to see - you wouldn't have it in soccer or other sports.

I'm thinking of heading to the Tipp/Kerry match on Saturday. Anyone else going?

Quick question, is Sean Treacy park near the town center? Google Maps has it right down a street from the main street, pretty handy if so.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

I'm thinking of heading to the Tipp/Kerry match on Saturday. Anyone else going?

Quick question, is Sean Treacy park near the town center? Google Maps has it right down a street from the main street, pretty handy if so.

Will be there . Station road , just off the main street , easy enough to get there . Its Tipp Town , you won`t get lost :D .

Whoa! Take it literally, it's brilliant. I was saying it's a great thing albeit unusual! It's great that Tipp are OK with the day going back and better that the manager is still playing football with his club while managing - tremendous passion. That's odd to see - you wouldn't have it in soccer or other sports.

lol apologies, I thought it was the usual sarcastic dig at the GAA :o Getting all paranoid and defensive in me old age!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Munster Colleges Senior Football "B" Semi Finals - Our Lady's, Templemore 3-6; Patrician Academy, Mallow 1-7 and Abbey CBS, Tipperay 1-7; Hamilton High School, Bandon 1-6. An all Tipperary final to look forward to.

• Advertisement

Munster Colleges Senior Football "B" Semi Finals - Our Lady's, Templemore 3-6; Patrician Academy, Mallow 1-7 and Abbey CBS, Tipperay 1-7; Hamilton High School, Bandon 1-6. An all Tipperary final to look forward to.

The Templemore team is unbelievably strong for B from what I have heard, and they have John McGrath and Colm O'Riordan in Midfield :D They actually gave one of the teams in the A semi a trimming in a challenge game last week.

The Templemore team is unbelievably strong for B from what I have heard, and they have John McGrath and Colm O'Riordan in Midfield :D They actually gave one of the teams in the A semi a trimming in a challenge game last week.

My god those two players you mentioned have achieved so much already in their intercounty careers its absolutely shocking to think they are still in school. Quite amazing prospects they are in either code. O'Riordan is some footballer. Still only 17.
    I would assume Clonmel would be 'A' Standard? Ian Fahy as far as im aware though goes to the Tech where minor manager Charlie McGeever is principal but im sure the CBS high school would only love for him to swap over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Ha that's hilarious. Hopefully they keep progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Tipperary team to play Kerry on Saturday has been selected - Paul Fitzgerald, Andrew Morrissey, Paddy Codd, John Coghlan, Brian Fox, Seamus Kennedy, Ciaran McDonald, George Hannigan, Lorcan Egan, Stephen O'Brien, Philip Quirke, Bill Maher, Liam McGrath, Barry Grogan, Conor Sweeney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Best of luck to the Tipp footballers on Saturday,does anyone think we have a real chance of winning this final against Kerry?

Tipp hurling team for Sundays game against Limerick in the WCC.

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)
    2. Conor O’Brien (Éire Óg Annacarty)
    3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone)
    4. Donagh Maher (Burgess)
    5. Joey McLoughney (Toomevara)
    6. Conor O’Mahony (Newport)
    7. Seamus Hennessy (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    8. James Woodlock (Drom and Inch)
    9. Johnny Ryan (Drom and Inch)
    10. John O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    11. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    12. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha)
    13. Brian O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    14. Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone)
    15. John O’Neill (Clonoulty Rossmore)

tippspur wrote: »
    Best of luck to the Tipp footballers on Saturday,does anyone think we have a real chance of winning this final against Kerry?

Yeah Id give us a chance but then again when it comes to the blue and gold im an eternal optimist :)

Good forwards named though and considering the fellas missing there is plenty of strength in depth beginning to emerge.

Illl go for a Tipp win by a point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

tippspur wrote: »

This game should have been played in Thurles as Semple Stadium would be an ideal venue for championship and league preparation. The team always plays well in Thurles. Be assured that if game was being played in Kerry it would be Killarney.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    This game should have been played in Thurles as Semple Stadium would be an ideal venue for championship and league preparation. The team always plays well in Thurles. Be assured that if game was being played in Kerry it would be Killarney.

From a footballing point of view Thurles would be better but dont forget that Thurles needs a rest this time of year and even should the game be actually played there it would be more than likely played at a loss which the county board cant really afford to do at this point in time and thats the sad fact of the matter

Yes we do have upcoming league fixtures there in Division 4 but to be honest i think we might need to be more practical in both codes until we start operating in the black again.

Its not such a bad thing also if the towns get the few fixtures. Tipperary GAA is about the whole county and not just Thurles so if the hurlers even train in Clonmel, Tipp Town, Templemore or Nenagh its a good thing for the people of that town and local radius

Kerry win. Kerry 1-12 Tipp 1-5. Congratulations to the men for getting to the McGrath Cup and commiserations for the loss. On to the league!

• Advertisement

Good 2nd half effort from Tipp but not good enough unfortunately.

Footballers maybe lacking the cuteness and experience of Kerry but the one positive they can take from the second half is that they kept going.
    Their time will come though.

Hurlers were reasonably solid today although considering that the current mantra from the manager is to work hard, some of them aren't quite living up to the standards set. Still spare opposition players in acres of space waiting on the ball with no once to challenge them. I suppose JOB, Lar, Pa, Forde, and possibly Denis Maher and Aidan McCormack may come into the fray soon to challenge for spots in the forwards as well as David Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Footballers maybe lacking the cuteness and experience of Kerry but the one positive they can take from the second half is that they kept going.
    Their time will come though.

Hurlers were reasonably solid today although considering that the current mantra from the manager is to work hard, some of them aren't quite living up to the standards set. Still spare opposition players in acres of space waiting on the ball with no once to challenge them. I suppose JOB, Lar, Pa, Forde, and possibly Denis Maher and Aidan McCormack may come into the fray soon to challenge for spots in the forwards as well as David Collins

yep fully agree somethings got to be done to freshen up the forwards starting to get worried about it now as well as middle of the field.john o neill has lovely stick work but hes never going to have the workrate required at top level and dont know why hes been given so many chances same goes for mikey heffernan.thought buggy had another good game what a handful he is and has an eye for a point.he might not get the chance to shoot much but rarely misses when he does.b maher had another good game and pray to god hes back to his best.was really disappointed d gleeson didnt get the start in goals mental selection choice imo if he wasnt injured.i dont know whats s hennessey best spot is id like to see him play full back in a game to see how he goes what do ye think?

buggy beag wrote: »
    yep fully agree somethings got to be done to freshen up the forwards starting to get worried about it now as well as middle of the field.john o neill has lovely stick work but hes never going to have the workrate required at top level and dont know why hes been given so many chances same goes for mikey heffernan.thought buggy had another good game what a handful he is and has an eye for a point.he might not get the chance to shoot much but rarely misses when he does.b maher had another good game and pray to god hes back to his best.was really disappointed d gleeson didnt get the start in goals mental selection choice imo if he wasnt injured.i dont know whats s hennessey best spot is id like to see him play full back in a game to see how he goes what do ye think?

Henessey is extremely versatile but lacks pace. That said he was undoubtedly Tipperary's best player today with Brendan Maher and Buggy O'Meara running him very close.

Definitely worth experimenting with him. Has he played at number 3 prior?

Young Mcloughney was very good today also. John O'Neill, Timmy or Mikey Heffernan though are not cut out for this level. No work rate or aggression and if there is one thing Tipp will have to bring to the table in order to beat the Kilkenny's of this world, its aggression and work rate in spades. Buggy O'Meara, Bubbles O'Dwyer and Bonnar Maher are 3 shining examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Silvermines put up a great performance against Clara (Kilkenny) in the All Ireland Intermediate Hurling Semi Final in Portlaoise today but ended up losing by 2 points after extra time - Clara 0-19 Silvermines 1-14.

Clara were 3/10 to win this with Paddy Power this morning but the Mines nearly took it, leading by a point coming to the end of normal time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Mid Senior Hurling Championship Draw been made. Anyone have any ideas on when the draws for the other divisional championships will be made?
    Quarter finals
    1 Drom-Inch v Holycross Ballycahill
    2 Moycarkey Borris v Boherlahan Dualla
    3 Thurles Sarsfields v Loughmore Castleiney
    4 JK Brackens v Upperchurch Drombane

Losers of 1 play losers of 2
    Losers of 3 play losers of 4
    Winners of 3 and 4 get bye to Mid semi final

ormond lad wrote: »
    Mid Senior Hurling Championship Draw been made. Anyone have any ideas on when the draws for the other divisional championships will be made?
    Quarter finals
    1 Drom-Inch v Holycross Ballycahill
    2 Moycarkey Borris v Boherlahan Dualla
    3 Thurles Sarsfields v Loughmore Castleiney
    4 JK Brackens v Upperchurch Drombane

Losers of 1 play losers of 2
    Losers of 3 play losers of 4
    Winners of 3 and 4 get bye to Mid semi final

What about the winners of 1 and 2? :)

Mid Tipp Senior Football Championship

Semi Finals :

Loughmore-Castleiney v Moycarkey Borris

JK Brackens v Moyne-Templetuohy .

Mid Tipp Under 21 A Football Championship

To be run on a 1st round losers group :

Preliminary Round
    Drom-Inch v Holycross-Ballycahill

Round 1
    Loughmore-Castleiney v JK Brackens

Thurles Sarsfields v Moycarkey Borris

Preliminary winner v Moyne-Templetuohy Og

Three round 1 winners plus winner of losers group into semi finals

• Advertisement

South draws being made tomorrow night , anyone know when the North ones are happening ?

Advertisement