Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cashel KC in the relegation final after 7 point defeat to Moneygall tonight. Golden and Boherlahan will have to fight it out next week after drawing the other semi.

Cashel KC, once a force in Tipperary hurling with the Bonnars and Raymie Ryan are staring down the barrel of being demoted to the Intermediate ranks. What's been the big factor behind their decline? Emigration? Not producing enough quality? perhaps both?

Dylan Fitzelle aside they have little to shout about in the future.

rugby I'm afraid rules the roost in cashel now

rugby I'm afraid rules the roost in cashel now

Id imagine with Rockwell in the vicinity and Denis Leamy breaking on to the scene that time has turned a few heads. Still even before that Cappawhite, Kickhams, Annacarthy and Clonoulty were better then them going back a good while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Id imagine with Rockwell in the vicinity and Denis Leamy breaking on to the scene that time has turned a few heads. Still even before that Cappawhite, Kickhams, Annacarthy and Clonoulty were better then them going back a good while
    Rockwell's always been there and wouldn't have turned a huge number of people. Its just the sheer amount of success the past few seasons in Cashel RFC will have turned a few heads especially going unbeaten in league in first season of senior rugby and getting promoted to div 2A of AIL

Anyway back to hurling. Burgess and Eire Og drew in Dr Fogarty Cup final in Toomevara this evening. Game finished 1-18 apiece after extra time. Game was exciting but not the greatest though I missed a lot of the first half. Both sides had chances to take the win and IMO Burgess should win the replay if theyre a bit smarter up front.

Roscrea beat Lorrha in James Holohan Cup final 3-16 to 2-12. Didn't see this game

ormond lad wrote: »
    Rockwell's always been there and wouldn't have turned a huge number of people. Its just the sheer amount of success the past few seasons in Cashel RFC will have turned a few heads especially going unbeaten in league in first season of senior rugby and getting promoted to div 2A of AIL

Anyway back to hurling. Burgess and Eire Og drew in Dr Fogarty Cup final in Toomevara this evening. Game finished 1-18 apiece after extra time. Game was exciting but not the greatest though I missed a lot of the first half. Both sides had chances to take the win and IMO Burgess should win the replay if theyre a bit smarter up front.

Roscrea beat Lorrha in James Holohan Cup final 3-16 to 2-12. Didn't see this game

Not having a go at you but in fairness what in the name of god is the point of those competitions? Its all about the Dan Breen cup at the end of the day. From the point of view of preparation its good for Nenagh, Burgess to get these extra games but in the great scheme of things they are worth squat-all.

Not having a go at you but in fairness what in the name of god is the point of those competitions? Its all about the Dan Breen cup at the end of the day. From the point of view of preparation its good for Nenagh, Burgess to get these extra games but in the great scheme of things they are worth squat-all.
    Where they not the competitions that the clubs decided to play in that replaced the county league.
    Grand saying its all about the Dan Breen but a large proportion of clubs competitions like those who's finals were played today are clubs only chance of silverware and are only in contention for Dan Breen for a very short while if at all.
    Burgess have been senior since 2005 and this would have been 1 of the few finals Burgess have played since that time at senior level so relevance even In greater scheme of things is big enough

• Advertisement

Where they not the competitions that the clubs decided to play in that replaced the county league.
    Grand saying its all about the Dan Breen but a large proportion of clubs competitions like those who's finals were played today are clubs only chance of silverware and are only in contention for Dan Breen for a very short while if at all.
    Burgess have been senior since 2005 and this would have been 1 of the few finals Burgess have played since that time at senior level so relevance even In greater scheme of things is big enough

I take your point, its a fair one and i suppose the knockout aspect is very appealing. Tonights game seemed to be a thriller when you consider Burgess were well ahead and Nenagh clawed back

Big big week for Tipperary hurling ahead.

u21s Wednesday coming whilst our intermediates this Friday. Best of luck to both sides.

Big big week for Tipperary hurling ahead.

u21s Wednesday coming whilst our intermediates this Friday. Best of luck to both sides.
    Intermediate team has been named but nothing on 21s yet
    1. Darragh Egan (Kildangan)
    2. Seán O'Brien (Newport)
    3. Micheál Butler (Drom and Inch)
    4. Tom Treacy (Cappawhite)
    5. Willie Ryan (Clonakenny)
    6. David Young (Toomevara) Captain
    7. Padraig Heffernan (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    8. Joey McLoughney (Toomevara)
    9. Seán McCormack (Borris-Ileigh)
    10. Orrie Quirke (Silvermines)
    11. Timmy Hammersley (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    12. Danny O'Hanlon (Carrick Swans)
    13. Ruairi Gleeson (Kildangan)
    14. Thomas Butler (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    15. Paudie Greene (Upperchurch Drombane)

u21s team named: Mooney; Barrett, Breen, Ryan; O’Dwyer, Hamill, Kennedy; Cahill, Stapleton; Heffernan, Forde, O’Meara; McCormack, Walsh, McGrath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

It will be interesting to see how that half forward line goes...O'Meara has a real chance I think to make it - he is not the biggest...but he is all action and looks intelligent in his use of the ball - be interesting to see what Tommy Heff can do with this chance

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see how that half forward line goes...O'Meara has a real chance I think to make it - he is not the biggest...but he is all action and looks intelligent in his use of the ball - be interesting to see what Tommy Heff can do with this chance

Shocked John Meagher wasnt slotted in somewhere. A possible Senior for next year who is flying it in the challenges and in the Kieran Bergin mould in terms of his versatility.
    Heffernan is not a ball winner and after the failings in Nowlan Park recently i think its imperative that Tipp's philosophy going forward must be to 'win your own ball'. Id imagine also the first man to be sprung from the bench will be Conor Kenny. Again, a great man with a loose ball for a big man he is poor to do any donkey work. Bill Walsh was having a decent game the last night so why he was taken off is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Intermediate team has been named but nothing on 21s yet
    1. Darragh Egan (Kildangan)
    2. Seán O'Brien (Newport)
    3. Micheál Butler (Drom and Inch)
    4. Tom Treacy (Cappawhite)
    5. Willie Ryan (Clonakenny)
    6. David Young (Toomevara) Captain
    7. Padraig Heffernan (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    8. Joey McLoughney (Toomevara)
    9. Seán McCormack (Borris-Ileigh)
    10. Orrie Quirke (Silvermines)
    11. Timmy Hammersley (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    12. Danny O'Hanlon (Carrick Swans)
    13. Ruairi Gleeson (Kildangan)
    14. Thomas Butler (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    15. Paudie Greene (Upperchurch Drombane)

The intermediates have become our senior b team, don't like the changes that were made a few years back.

Very good assessment from Westside column this week. Really enjoy reading them.

http://www.tipperary.gaa.ie/latestnews/westsidecolumn-july20th2013

The intermediates have become our senior b team, don't like the changes that were made a few years back.

Thats down to the fact we have so many Senior clubs (32, a clusterf*ck of a situation we have got ourselves into). The GAA/Munster Council made exception to our situation

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

I would agree with Alpha Dog on this one. It is always nice to win a title, but really the Intermediate Championship is of little value to counties, as regards future Senior players.

I would agree with Alpha Dog on this one. It is always nice to win a title, but really the Intermediate Championship is of little value to counties, as regards future Senior players.

I wouldn't completely 100% write it off tbh. Yes there is a gulf in class between Senior and Intermediate but i believe that lads are at the very least kept in mind if they can deliver at Intermediate level.

Tom Stapleton and Mikey Heffernan have graduated to the Senior panel the last two years. I dont think for one second that a senior manager will dismiss intermediate. Few make the step up but they are definitely looked at as an option for the future.

Fact is also that without the exception allowed we would have pulled out completely and that would be far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Killarney49

Does anyone know if John Meagher, Bill Maher and John McGrath are near this team? Thought a couple of these would have made this year's under 21 team. Or is it a sign the under 21 team is better than people think.

Does anyone know if John Meagher, Bill Maher and John McGrath are near this team? Thought a couple of these would have made this year's under 21 team. Or is it a sign the under 21 team is better than people think.

The latter two are just out of minor. Strong possibility they could be sprung from the bench. Both Colm O'Riordan (star minor just added) and Dylan Fitzelle on the panel also which is great strength and depth to have.

Meagher should be starting though. He has been dogged with injuries but came back recently and was flying it in training. He would have been on the Senior panel this year barring his injuries and i believe we'll definitely see him in 2014. Like Kieran Bergin he can play in a good deal of positions from the half backs to the half forwards

Our u21s arent bad to be honest. Like the seniors the backs are tremendous. Breen, Barrett, Andrew Ryan at full and then Hamill, Kennedy and Mouse at half....Very solid backs. You then have Justin Cahill and Brian Stapleton who can hurl half back, midfield, in the half forward line. Niall O'Meara can also hurl midfield and half forward and is a great young leader. Definately a good side but its a very very competitive championship...so much so that we cant look beyond Wednesday night. That said i believe we are as good as whats in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Killarney49

Thanks Tipp gunner for the update. Yes surprising John McGrath is not making the forwards. Glad to see Fitzelle and Riordan in the squad. Looks like senior management are going to have to look at them kind of players going forward for our half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Very good assessment from Westside column this week. Really enjoy reading them.

http://www.tipperary.gaa.ie/latestnews/westsidecolumn-july20th2013

ya must say i really enjoy reading them to.have you any idea who writes the column?

• Advertisement

buggy beag wrote: »
    ya must say i really enjoy reading them to.have you any idea who writes the column?

Seems to be an anon from Drom/Inch. They sure dont mince their words whoever it is.

Didnt realise Paddy Saints brother was the journo Shane Stapleton.

Thanks Tipp gunner for the update. Yes surprising John McGrath is not making the forwards. Glad to see Fitzelle and Riordan in the squad. Looks like senior management are going to have to look at them kind of players going forward for our half forward line.

We'll see John next year. Alot of the Noel factor about him I feel. Very talented but a lad who more or less lets the hurley do the work for him.

Fitzelle was crucial in that minor win last year and is also versatile. Hurled wing back in Munster semi v Waterford and Munster final v Clare. He got injured for All Ireland semi and Tom Fox took his place and kept it for final so Fitzelle then came back into the team at wing forward and hurled excellently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Didnt realise Paddy Saints brother was the journo Shane Stapleton.

Yup, only found that out recently, too. I like Shane's work. It's refreshing, modern and thoughtful. Opposite of everything Babs Keating does in The Irish Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

When will the u21 team be named? Themselves and the intermediats are the last chance for Tipp glory this year and I have high hopes for them both.

GerB40 wrote: »
    When will the u21 team be named? Themselves and the intermediats are the last chance for Tipp glory this year and I have high hopes for them both.

Both teams listed above by ormond lad. Were named last night

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Is Tadgh Gallagher available to the U21's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Both teams listed above by ormond lad. Were named last night

That was the intermediate team and call me cynical but i have higher hopes on the u21s this year.. I don't mind being wrong on this by the way but Im not giving up on some sort of premier redemption.. Hon Tipp.....Edit i saw his.post and am fairly happy with the selection. The season isn't over yet, not by a long shot.. It'll be interesting now that all limelight is on both these teams and the rest of this season will make or break players chances of hittin the seniors next season.. Best of luck to ye all boys..

Moyorris wrote: »
    Is Tadgh Gallagher available to the U21's

Yeah Tadhg Gallagher is on the panel. Not sure where Joe is at the moment. Think he should be eligible for intermediate this year but a good lot went on J1s to the US this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

That's good.He seems to have good pace.

• Advertisement

Moyorris wrote: »
    That's good.He seems to have good pace.

He does indeed. Might need a year or two yet to cement his place though

Advertisement