Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Moyorris wrote: »
    Is Tadgh Gallagher available to the U21's
    He's in squad that was named on county board website earlier in the summer(see here) so if fit, as I assume he is, he'll be involved.

ormond lad wrote: »
    He's in squad that was named on county board website earlier in the summer(see here) so if fit, as I assume he is, he'll be involved.

He came on in Gortnahoe the other night in the challenge. Needs a bit of experience to improve at u21 but was definately one of the stand out minors all through last year so he has loads of time on his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

GerB40 wrote: »
    When will the u21 team be named? Themselves and the intermediats are the last chance for Tipp glory this year and I have high hopes for them both.
    You are forgetting that the minor footballers will be playing the Ulster champions (Monaghan or Tyrone) in the All Ireland Quarter Final next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Seems to be an anon from Drom/Inch. They sure dont mince their words whoever it is.

Didnt realise Paddy Saints brother was the journo Shane Stapleton.

Westside is JJ Kennedy, Kickhams now living in Boherlahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Westside is JJ Kennedy, Kickhams now living in Boherlahan.

Correct, his identity is well known.

• Advertisement

Correct, his identity is well known.

Must have read it wrong then. I suppose it would make sense he be from the West :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Well done to U21's.Great spirit.Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

what a result for da under 21's anyone have the scorers?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Shane Brophy ‏@BrophShane 33m
    Tipp scorers: J Forde 2-8; B Walsh 2-1; N O'Meara 0-4; T Heffernan 1-0; L McGrath 0-2; J Cahill, B Stapleton, A McCormack, J McGrath 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Moyorris wrote: »
    Shane Brophy ‏@BrophShane 33m
    Tipp scorers: J Forde 2-8; B Walsh 2-1; N O'Meara 0-4; T Heffernan 1-0; L McGrath 0-2; J Cahill, B Stapleton, A McCormack, J McGrath 0-1

sound out lad.forde is flying hopfully big year for him in the seniors next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Niall O' Meara was very good. Scored 0-4 and set up quite a bit of scoring. Was fantastic in the air and won three great balls. Only thing is he seems to have a flair for fancy play. One of them was an audacious cross field ball that had me about to scream at the TV but it went to Tommy Heffernan who scored so I was delighted instead.

Going into the 25th minute Tipp switched off and Cork scored six in five minutes and after the break got a goal. I was thinking Tipp have blown it but the Cork goal actually boosted Tipp and they went on a riot. Cork defense was so porous at times.

Tossy Hammill was good too along with Bill Walsh.

Just back from the u21s. Superb performance from them. Undoubted motm was Niall 'Bill' O'Meara. He is not the captain for nothing. Superb leadership and grit shown by the young man throughout.

Other notable performers were goal hungry Bill Walsh, Liam Mcgrath, Mouse Dwyer, Brian Stapleton (2 unreal catches at the start).. Ironically despite the huge tally i think Forde has had better games. Didnt stand out anything like O'Meara who was absolutely terrfic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Just back from the u21s. Superb performance from them. Undoubted motm was Niall 'Bill' O'Meara. He is not the captain for nothing. Superb leadership and grit shown by the young man throughout.

Other notable performers were goal hungry Bill Walsh, Liam Mcgrath, Mouse Dwyer, Brian Stapleton (2 unreal catches at the start).. Ironically despite the huge tally i think Forde has had better games. Didnt stand out anything like O'Meara who was absolutely terrfic.

Agree gunner, but thank god we've a few more lads who can stand up and be counted if forde is off form(slightly)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great performance from the U/21s tonight,they could show the seniors a thing or two about not giving up..I would be delighted if they won the Munster final after the heart break of last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

As I said numerous times on this thread before O'Meara has been out performing his older brother for quite some time - Kilraune use him as a fireman for a lot of positions this year - Niall should have been on the senior squad - far better player at this stage than Shane McGrath - as is Brian Stapleton - Stapleton's delivery to forwards is the best I have seen since Tommy Dunne

Glad to see Tomy Heff get his goal - still does not look confident at this level - he is capable of a lot more - if he got the game time to improve his confidence he would blossom - i would hate to see a player of such talent fall away like Seamus Butler or Tony Scroope - sometimes players choke when it comes to inter county

Michael Breen and Hamill look to be the real deal - Kenny too

Having said that Under 21s is a world away from senior - Niall O'Meara and these players mentioned have filling out to do yet - Forde, Breen and Staptleon look to be the best placed players psychically and mentally to make the leap - hopefully Niall can do so too - badly needed - that type of player for senior- that cork full back line was very weak physically - when forde and walsh ran they scattered - when forde ran against kk he was swallowed - that's the difference

As I said numerous times on this thread before O'Meara has been out performing his older brother for quite some time - Kilraune use him as a fireman for a lot of positions this year - Niall should have been on the senior squad - far better player at this stage than Shane McGrath - as is Brian Stapleton - Stapleton's delivery to forwards is the best I have seen since Tommy Dunne

Glad to see Tomy Heff get his goal - still does not look confident at this level - he is capable of a lot more - if he got the game time to improve his confidence he would blossom - i would hate to see a player of such talent fall away like Seamus Butler or Tony Scroope - sometimes players choke when it comes to inter county

Michael Breen and Hamill look to be the real deal - Kenny too

Having said that Under 21s is a world away from senior - Niall O'Meara and these players mentioned have filling out to do yet - Forde, Breen and Staptleon look to be the best placed players psychically and mentally to make the leap - hopefully Niall can do so too - badly needed - that type of player for senior- that cork full back line was very weak physically - when forde and walsh ran they scattered - when forde ran against kk he was swallowed - that's the difference

You could argue that when we ran at Kilkenny we got more joy also but i do see your sentiment that u21 is light years away in terms of physicality. Your spot on there.

Stapleton made some super catches early on and Hamill is a guy that i always rated since his minor days. Both Mouse and Seamus Kennedy were extremely assured in the early stages also, so much so Mouse was a contender very early for MOTM with his influence on the game. He gobbled several off Lehane.

O'Meara has filled out quite a bit since he captained that Tipperary Vocational school team to All Ireland success two year ago but a few more spuds probably needed to be consumed for Senior.

The thing that impressed me most about Tommy Heffernan tonight was his willingness to drop deep and help his half back line on several occasions. I would have thought he was our typical forward who needed the ball in his palm before we see his capabilities but his attitude was commendable.

Conor Kenny - great fielder but i dont think ive ever seen more non existant workrate from any hurler that donned the blue and gold ever - not even Callanan! Has talent no question, but he's the type of hurler we're trying to see the back of rather then bring on to Senior. One ball was dropping in and he ran away from it and left his teammate try to catch it between two men.

Also correct me if im wrong but Bill Walsh was only tried for the u21s when they played Waterford down in Carrick the night in May but so far he has proved to be a resounding success even keeping Kenny out of the team.

Lastly it shows the strength and depth we have when we can bring O'Riordan and John Mcgrath (immense) on and still have the likes of John Meagher on the bench.

My mistake - I meant to write Kennedy and not Kenny - Kennedy looks a proper player

Walsh looks very raw...but has pace - what impressed me about him - was not only his willingness to run direct but also his composure when the chances came - just passed them into the net - very controlled - no panic - his stick work needs work - but there is a lot to work with there

Yes - kenny would not go into a dark room unfortunately

Tommy Heff will work - I saw him torture Toome one night in Dolla in a game Nenagh lost two years ago in the North championship - never stopped running and harassing the toome half back line - got some fantastic points - if he could find his confidence at this level - he cold be going places - he has much more fighting qualities than his older brother Michael

If niall could bulk up he certainly has the heart, skill and fitness - the physical prowess of half back lines at senior inter county now is immense - most competitive area at senior inter-county - from Brick walsh to kevin moran to liam rushe to Brian Hogan - there are monsters operating at that level....that he would have to contend with

Stapleton also got a crucial point when Cork had brought it back to 3 points and we were on the slide...I like Stapleton - strikes me as an intelligent player - he was very unlucky as a minor when he hit that wide against kk that time in an all-ireland final i think it was in the last few seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

As evolving tipperary says, Niall O'Meara is a far better player than his brother and to me, Eamonn O'Shea was picking the wrong O'Meara on the senior panel this year. The younger O'Meara was the one that should have been on the panel and I can see him developing into a fine senior player. Full forward Bill Walsh had a fine game also. He appears to be a bit green, but he looks like a lad that could improve out of all recognition in the next couple of years.

As evolving tipperary says, Niall O'Meara is a far better player than his brother and to me, Eamonn O'Shea was picking the wrong O'Meara on the senior panel this year. The younger O'Meara was the one that should have been on the panel and I can see him developing into a fine senior player. Full forward Bill Walsh had a fine game also. He appears to be a bit green, but he looks like a lad that could improve out of all recognition in the next couple of years.

Buggy had a decent 2012 but seems to have regressed yet again in 2013. Strikes me as a player who doesn't 'winter' that well if im being honest.

Niall might have been worth a punt this year but tbh i wouldn't be critical of O'Shea for not rushing him either. Next year though i think its Niall's time along with Liam McGrath, and maybe a few others. They can only improve but sadly the likes of Callanan and Pa Bourke cant.

Just thinking last night, people are critical of O'Shea for sticking with most of the 2010 team but the bigger picture here is that the subs of that year along with anyone who has subsequently been added to the panel in the following years, haven't found the extra 10% to even challenge the likes of Eoin, Lar, etc for places. We had a brilliant first 15 then, a very good first 20.....but from number 20 onwards we struggled. The likes of Jody Brennan, Paddy Fanning, Timmy Hammersley with all due to respect to them were never going to give Eoin, Noel and Lar sleepless nights. And there was no one outside the nucleus of that 30 except Shane Bourke who could come back into contention either. I got the impression from having seen the lads on the fringes celebrating in Mullinahone the night back in 2010, that they were happy with their lot, being only a bit part of a Tipperary panel who won the All Ireland. Some of them understandably in their late 20s felt it was too late in the day to decide to mount a challenge in 2011 for a starting place. Pat Kerwick eventually also fell through the net but was dogged with injury to be fair to him. Hennessy has had an awful time of it too but i think the likes of Callanan, Buggy, Pa who were considered to be of the ideal age profile, havent evolved one bit and i dont think either Declan Ryan or Eamon O'Shea can be blamed for that. These lads are doing it for their clubs though which leaves them in contention for the Tipp panel and thats the catch 22.

Only Foxy O'Brien really took the decision to up his game and that was after he was given that kick up the arse and dropped by Declan Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Killarney49

Great win last night, lets hope they can land the munster title though that won't be easy. Stapleton, Niall O Meara, Hamill, Breen should all be called up to the senior squad next year, I Know Hamill was already in the panel this year. John McGrath will surely start the next day, I can only assume he not starting last night was he joining the panel late, thought he played well when introduced. Bill Maher got no run which was surprising. Walsh full forward could be worth a look in the senior panel too. After the senior exit this year, success at under 21 level would be the perfect tonic.

• Advertisement

Great win last night, lets hope they can land the munster title though that won't be easy. Stapleton, Niall O Meara, Hamill, Breen should all be called up to the senior squad next year, I Know Hamill was already in the panel this year. John McGrath will surely start the next day, I can only assume he not starting last night was he joining the panel late, thought he played well when introduced. Bill Maher got no run which was surprising. Walsh full forward could be worth a look in the senior panel too. After the senior exit this year, success at under 21 level would be the perfect tonic.

I tell you part of me wants Clare to win tonight so at the very least we'll have the final in Thurles. A Waterford win and we travel down to Walsh park or Dungarvan where they are very tough to beat and have the likes of Daragh Fives and Jake Dillon on their team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

I tell you part of me wants Clare to win tonight so at the very least we'll have the final in Thurles. A Waterford win and we travel down to Walsh park or Dungarvan where they are very tough to beat and have the likes of Daragh Fives and Jake Dylan on their team.
    Clare won by 4. final on Aug 7th 7.30pm Thurles

Looking forward already. H'on the Premier!

Hoping the boys can seal Munster title number 1 tomorrow night in the stadium first.

Great news that it's on in Thurles/hopefully we can get revenge for last years loss against Clare,I think we have enough to beat them,watched the game tonight and have no doubt that Waterford would have beaten them if them didn't have a man sent off early in the second half.

It will be a proper text for this under 21 team as we all know how good that Clare team is...they might have beat a Waterford team down to 14 men but it was a Clare that lost their best player in Tony Kelly after 12mins...winning in Walsh Park is no easy feat either...

Lots of interesting match ups here - be interesting to see how Walsh matches up to a full back with senior championship experience

The midfield will be up a against a great clare midfield

I will be really impressed if Hamill can do a job on collins as he seems to be going really well.

Niall O'Meara will probably be picked up by Morey and that will be a challenge for him if he gets picked up by him - all in all we should find out a lot about this bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

It will be a proper text for this under 21 team as we all know how good that Clare team is...they might have beat a Waterford team down to 14 men but it was a Clare that lost their best player in Tony Kelly after 12mins...winning in Walsh Park is no easy feat either...

Lots of interesting match ups here - be interesting to see how Walsh matches up to a full back with senior championship experience

The midfield will be up a against a great clare midfield

I will be really impressed if Hamill can do a job on collins as he seems to be going really well.

Niall O'Meara will probably be picked up by Morey and that will be a challenge for him if he gets picked up by him - all in all we should find out a lot about this bunch

A lot will depend on how Clare do V Galway. I think last week was the 1st time in months (possibly even all year), that the Clare U21 management had the full panel available to them. Not easy prepare for championship in that situation.
    If we lose to Galway, it gives them a small window to work together as a group, beat Galway and a senior AI semi-final could hinder the U21s.
    8 of last night's starters played some part last Sat V Wexford, so it won't be easy for those lads to juggle the 2.

I was just delighted to get out of Walsh Park with a win, any sort of a win. last year we destroyed them in Ennis but got out of jail in the final.

Tipp won the intermediate Munster final tonight 19-18.

Id like to be able to tell you about a good open game i witnessed of a summers evening in the stadium with a few stand out performers but due to the incompetence/pedantry of the referee, i wont be able to. :mad:

I've never been at a Tipperary match at any grade or level where I've been so bored out of my brains that i've wanted to leave and i never thought id face that problem but the contstant blowing for frees almost drove me to leave early, some of which werent frees and others where advantage could easily have been played.

Bear in mind there was little margin between the teams at any time and it was close all the way.

The intermeidate is a grade that struggles to capture the public imagination and struggles to get arses on seats on top of being a technical level well below senior but the performance of the Clare referee, Mr Damien Fox tonight will have done the grade no favours. Quite frankly he was scandalous and for both teams i might add.

Myself and my friend attend alot of Tipp games and tonight on the way home we had nothing to discuss only how a Munster final was ruined by lack of common sense and poor refereeing.

At least we won a Munster Gunner,it sounded like a poor game on the radio also.

tippspur wrote: »
    At least we won a Munster Gunner,it sounded like a poor game on the radio also.

Dont get me wrong. Its great the lads won. Fair play to a very honest group. We probably slightly shaded it but there is no doubt the referee took centre stage tonight with his carry on. A nice dry evening for hurling reduced to a mere shootout because of a referee is very very wrong.

Best for Tipp was probably Daragh Egan for his great save and his free taking prowess (0-3)but little stood out....they couldnt because the ref just blew blew blew whenever he felt like it. Id imagine if Walty was on Tippfm tonight he must have been absolutely fuming.

A secondary hurling competition that is on its knees took another blow from over zealous refereeing.

• Advertisement

Advertisement