Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

No one mentioned the Cats getting beat,did ye not hear the good news.? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Tbf i dont think the blame lies with Hennessy for any of those goals, or at least certainly not the ones in the first half. He was brutally exposed by some keystone cops marking that day.

Gan doubt. Some poor outfield play mixed with clinical finishing meant Hennessy suffered.
    tippspur wrote: »
    No one mentioned the Cats getting beat,did ye not hear the good news.? ;)

A lot of people were pretty delighted about it judging from Twitter and friends' reaction on Facebook but I wasn't for some reason which was off considering Kilkenny left me feeling defeated three times in a row! Just feels like the best team over the last number of the years is at its end. Henry Shefflin's dismissal (which he took really well and boosted my respect for him again) made me feel a bit sorry for them (not in a condescending manner. Maybe I'm not the hardcore fan (:P) but I won't be shouting from the rooftops about it! There will be a lot of devastated Kilkenny hurling fans today; more so than we were some weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I agree. I take no delight in a kk defeat (unless its a Tipp victory). We have our own problems in Tipp which are far greater than the ones Kilkenny face...

I agree. Until we get our own house in order we have no point or right to take any pleasure in Kilkenny's defeat, great rivals though they may be. The fact is they are still the team who dumped us out of the championship and have now beaten us 3 years in a row on top of their victories over us in 2009, 2003 and 2002 plus some league victories added to that.

In fact if anything it underlines how far we've fallen when we cant even put away a Kilkenny team who performed well below their high standards this year and yet a Cork team with one man getting the bulk of the scores can. Corks work rate put us to shame also and both Mcloughlin and Kearney proved you dont need to be a big bruiser to take on Mick Fennelly

I will say though Championship 13 has been a refreshing change. Still a bit early to say if 'a revolution' is upon us

We can come back to the forefront again soon enough if the plan and attitude is right and i have good faith in some of the production line coming through, but we have to address the big issues that stare us in the face. We can no longer afford to expect to win games with passengers and inability to win primary possession. We found the right mix in 09 and 10 and hopefully we'll can build a young side going forward to complement the likes of Padraic Maher, Brendan Maher, and Michael Cahill who have been a big success since their emergence from the successful minor and u21 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Well I'll make no bones about it,I'm delighted they were beaten,the only pity is that it wasn't us who beat them.

• Advertisement

That is fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Anyone know how many Clare seniors are on the U21 team for the Munster final? I read somewhere that there were ten or more - could it be as high as that?

Anyone know how many Clare seniors are on the U21 team for the Munster final? I read somewhere that there were ten or more - could it be as high as that?

I made a post about something along those lines over on the Limerick GAA thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85782036&postcount=2199

Seven at max I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Tipperary team to play Monaghan in All Ireland Minor Quarter Final in Longford on Monday is the same team as played Kerry in the Munster Final - Jack Brady (Ballina), Danny Owens (Moyle Rovers), Jimmy Feehan (Killenaule), Willie Connors (Kildangan), Luke Boland (Moyle Rovers), Ross Mulcahy (Moyle Rovers), Kevin Fahey (Clonmel Commercials), Liam Casey (Cahir), Colin O'Riordan (J K Bracken's), capt. Paul Shanahan (Upperchurch-Drombane), Josh Keane (Golden-Kilfeacle), Ciaran Lowry (Arravale Rovers), Alan Tynan (Inane Rovers), Tom Kirwan (Ardfinnan), Paul Maher (Kilsheelan-Kilcash).

Tipperary team to play Monaghan in All Ireland Minor Quarter Final in Longford on Monday is the same team as played Kerry in the Munster Final - Jack Brady (Ballina), Danny Owens (Moyle Rovers), Jimmy Feehan (Killenaule), Willie Connors (Kildangan), Luke Boland (Moyle Rovers), Ross Mulcahy (Moyle Rovers), Kevin Fahey (Clonmel Commercials), Liam Casey (Cahir), Colin O'Riordan (J K Bracken's), capt. Paul Shanahan (Upperchurch-Drombane), Josh Keane (Golden-Kilfeacle), Ciaran Lowry (Arravale Rovers), Alan Tynan (Inane Rovers), Tom Kirwan (Ardfinnan), Paul Maher (Kilsheelan-Kilcash).

Best of luck to the lads and comiserations to the Camogie girls today who suffered a heavy defeat to Galway.

u21s coming up on Wednesday. H'on Tipp!

• Advertisement

Well done also to the u16 Camogie girls on their win v Galway. All ireland champions!

It will be a serious test of this under 21 team. It would be nice to win. The most important thing is that we can get at least 3 or 4 players good enough for senior...particularly for that problem half forward line, we need a dynamic full forward and another midfield option would be nice-whether that happens remains to be seen...we need more competition for places - too many lads like noelie, bonnar and shane mc - too sure of their places regardless of form...

It will be a serious test of this under 21 team. It would be nice to win. The most important thing is that we can get at least 3 or 4 players good enough for senior...particularly for that problem half forward line, we need a dynamic full forward and another midfield option would be nice-whether that happens remains to be seen...we need more competition for places - too many lads like noelie, bonnar and shane mc - too sure of their places regardless of form...

I think we'll have our work cut out to beat this Clare team. As ReacherCreature points out there may be up to 7 from the senior Clare team eligible to play against Tipp. Their key men - Kelly, Collins - for example, are well battle-hardened compared to our senior squad members - Ford, Hamill -who have only been bit players this summer and in the league.
    Hogan has them playing a classy brand of hurling, but they haven't been tested yet in a dogfight. Their wins over Limerick and Cork - both with strong players on their countie's senior panels, it must be said - were comfortable enough. Waterford, on the other hand, had to battle hard to get out of Walsh Pk. with a win.
    There's no denying we have some talented players at U21 level - but will they fold in the heat of battle in the manner of so many Tipp teams in recent times? Look at the way our minors exited against Limerick. Playing dazzling hurling one minute only to crumble when real pressure was put on them.
    I feel, though, that Hogan will have them well prepared and organised as he did with last year's team which lost out in heartbreaking circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

There's no denying we have some talented players at U21 level - but will they fold in the heat of battle in the manner of so many Tipp teams in recent times? Look at the way our minors exited against Limerick. Playing dazzling hurling one minute only to crumble when real pressure was put on them.

Well they came through against Cork when under serious pressure around half-time.Thought they responded well when the heat came on.

Also congrats to Brendan Cummins on the Poc Fada win.

I think we'll have our work cut out to beat this Clare team. As ReacherCreature points out there may be up to 7 from the senior Clare team eligible to play against Tipp. Their key men - Kelly, Collins - for example, are well battle-hardened compared to our senior squad members - Ford, Hamill -who have only been bit players this summer and in the league.
    Hogan has them playing a classy brand of hurling, but they haven't been tested yet in a dogfight. Their wins over Limerick and Cork - both with strong players on their countie's senior panels, it must be said - were comfortable enough. Waterford, on the other hand, had to battle hard to get out of Walsh Pk. with a win.
    I feel, though, that Hogan will have them well prepared and organised as he did with last year's team which lost out in heartbreaking circumstances.

You could have argued the same against Limerick but we have beaten a Limerick side on back to back occasions(many of whom could potentially play in and win an All Ireland final this year) . Seamus Kennedy in particular put in a particularly good shift against Declan Hannon this year and Niall o'Meara got man of the match against Christopher Joyce who himself had a stormer for Cork seniors last week.

I think there is great spirit in this side and no matter what happens Wednesday id have every confidence they'll leave nothing on the field. If Niall O'Meara can carry his form into senior next year and bring the type of attitude he has shown he will be an immense asset going forward.

Also i think your out of order to keep using 16-18 year olds as a reference point to a Tipp team who have 'folded'. Minors are minors and the nature of the competition is that while there is talent, there is inconsistency and unpredictability, so why should ours be singled out to be bottlers? They are only kids and the disappointment will stand to their development in the future. People who question their bottle should have seen the rough conditions they played Kilkenny in a challenge down in Ballingarry GAA club back in March. Both sets of youngsters deserved credit for even going out trying to warm up that day let alone playing. Limerick have proved they have a very good minor team this year too and could possibly go on to claim the Irish Press Cup.

Delighted for Cummins. A magnificent achievement...the man has serious drive. One of our best sportsmen - solid footballer, peerless hurling goalkeeper and the poc fada king!

Shefflin - did not even make the Kilkenny minor team nor did Lar Corbett play minor. Success at underage level does not mean senior success. Just look at Kerry Football. It's about producing players every year - three or four for senior - that must be the goal. Winning at underage is great and sometimes you get a special team where 5 or 6 make it at senior (rare) - but winning at underage is not everything..

Delighted for Cummins. A magnificent achievement...the man has serious drive. One of our best sportsmen - solid footballer, peerless hurling goalkeeper and the poc fada king!

Lets be honest, if our forwards had the drive he has we would be going seriously hard on All Irelands and not fading away against the Cats perennially.
    We haven't had forwards with any sense of drive about them since the time of Leahy, Fox, English, Skippy, Declan Ryan, Bonnar, etc and many would still feel that that team greatly underachieved.

Shefflin - did not even make the Kilkenny minor team nor did Lar Corbett play minor. Success at underage level does not mean senior success. Just look at Kerry Football. It's about producing players every year - three or four for senior - that must be the goal. Winning at underage is great and sometimes you get a special team where 5 or 6 make it at senior (rare) - but winning at underage is not everything..

Spot on. Take Galway for example who win bucket loads at Senior and u21 and yet cant replicate it at Senior.
    I would think Cork have a better chance of winning Liam with their current team despite having won no minor or u21 since 2001 and 1998 respectively and i think if anything perhaps lack of success at minor/u21 can serve to keep these lads grounded a small bit. It can also prove to be a major injection of confidence if we win a title at either level, dont get me wrong, but its not a total disaster scenario if we fail to succeed either.

Y

Also i think your out of order to keep using 16-18 year olds as a reference point to a Tipp team who have 'folded'. Minors are minors and the nature of the competition is that while there is talent, there is inconsistency and unpredictability, so why should ours be singled out to be bottlers? They are only kids and the disappointment will stand to their development in the future. People who question their bottle should have seen the rough conditions they played Kilkenny in a challenge down in Ballingarry GAA club back in March. Both sets of youngsters deserved credit for even going out trying to warm up that day let alone playing. Limerick have proved they have a very good minor team this year too and could possibly go on to claim the Irish Press Cup.
    I said nothing about our minor, or U21, players being 'bottlers.' That is a grossly insulting term to apply to anyone as it implies cowardice and being windy. If those lads were like that they wouldn't be playing the game of hurling for starters. What I meant, and probably should have said more clearly, when I used the term 'fold' was would they have the physical and mental toughness, the resilience, when a game is at a critical stage, to complement the skills that they obviously have in abundance.
    Something like the toughness the Wexford U21s showed in the Leinster Final against Kk.
    That quality was once the hallmark of all Tipperary hurling teams - why is it not so evident anymore? Our players, at all levels, are just as brave and skillful as those of any other county. I'm not so sure that mental toughness can be coached into players, it probably has to be developed in a really competitive environment once the basic skills of the game have been mastered. At club level, maybe, from minor level on.

Shefflin - did not even make the Kilkenny minor team nor did Lar Corbett play minor. Success at underage level does not mean senior success
    EvolvingTipperary makes the above point. Will I would say that Sheflin and Corbett are the exception. Most of the players that come through to senior level have played at minor or U21 level for their counties. Wasn't the present Kk team built off a run of success at minor and U21 level? Look at our present squad - haven't the nucleus of players that E. O'Shea has to work with into the future been successful at minor and U21 level? And aren't we hoping that he will be able to complement them with players from the present U21 team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Best of luck to Tipp minor footballers today.
    Playing monaghan at 3pm

Paddico wrote: »
    Best of luck to Tipp minor footballers today.
    Playing monaghan at 3pm

Up by a point at half time. 5-4. Against the breeze in the second half though according to Shane Brophy.

H'ON TIPP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Up by a point at half time. 5-4. Against the breeze in the second half though according to Shane Brophy.

H'ON TIPP!!

Beaten by 3 points in the end.

Beaten by 4 points in the end.

Pity. Monaghan local radio had great praise for O'Riordan who apparently fielded some unbelievable balls and also commented that Josh Keane had a good game. We hit the post in the dying minutes which had we got the goal would put us 1 point up in injury time. Wasnt to be i suppose.

Shane Hourigan of Limerick is the referee for Wednesday. Has the team been named yet?

Fine performance by Tipp and we would probably have won if that ball that hit the crossbar had gone in. Sadly it was not to be and we just did not have the scoring power in the forwards that we had in the last 2 years. In fairness the majority of the players played very well and could not have given any more. I would be slow to criticise 18 year olds, but 1 or 2 of our big name players were poor today.

Fine performance by Tipp and we would probably have won if that ball that hit the crossbar had gone in. Sadly it was not to be and we just did not have the scoring power in the forwards that we had in the last 2 years. In fairness the majority of the players played very well and could not have given any more. I would be slow to criticise 18 year olds, but 1 or 2 of our big name players were poor today.

Still alot underage for next year i believe. I think a game like that is great for the overall development. The big challenge facing Tipperary football and hurling going forward is when it will come down to making a choice. I hope the likes of Colm O'Riordan and co will able to give service to both our football and hurling teams in the future but it is unlikely that he will be able to do it simultaneously and it would be unfair to expect the young man and others to do so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Shane Hourigan of Limerick is the referee for Wednesday. Has the team been named yet?

Don't know if its been named but its expected that he'll play the same team as started against Cork. Someone on PV said the players have been told this already.

Darragh Mooney (Éire Óg Annacarty)
    Cathal Barrett (Holycross Ballycahill)
    Michael Breen (Ballina)
    Andrew Ryan (Toomevara)
    Joe O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    Tomás Hamill (Killea)
    Seamus Kennedy (St. Marys Clonmel)
    Justin Cahill (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
    Tommy Heffernan (Éire Óg Nenagh)
    Jason Forde (Silvermines)
    Niall O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs) Capt
    Aidan McCormack (Thurles Sarsfields)
    Bill Walsh (Carrick Swan)
    Liam McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

Yeah Tipp team unchanged. Seen it a few places on Twitter.

• Advertisement

Think that the team could have been strengthened in 1 or 2 positions.

Advertisement