Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

Think that the team could have been strengthened in 1 or 2 positions.

Apart from John Mcgrath for Aidan Mccormack i dunno and McCormack is lethal when on form to be fair. I think its strong enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Bookies have us slight favourites which I don't agree with but I think we can definitely win this game and I think we need to win this game more than Clare do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Is it true that there are 18 under 21's involved with the clare senior team?

Is it true that there are 18 under 21's involved with the clare senior team?

18 All Ireland u21 winning medallists perhaps from both the 09 and 12 teams?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Some great battle ahead which will tell us a lot about the young lads coming through...How will Hamill go on kelly? Kelly is a serious player while Collins may be in red hot form, Kelly for me is a future star. Will Hamill follow him or hold? I'd like to see Justin drop back and help out. Will be interesting to see how Lock and Breen go - Lock is tough as they come but his hurling needs development particularly his clearances. Breen looks a better bet for senior.

Stapleton also faces a tough task but I would back him to come through big time. Will be very interesting to see how Walsh goes on the senior Clare full-back. O'Meara and Forde will have plans made for them by Clare today, they have well marked out. Be interesting to see how they react to that...

Very scrappy game so far. 1.5 to 3 points with clare winning.
    Game not helped by poor referee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Very scrappy game so far. 1.5 to 3 points with clare winning.
    Game not helped by poor referee.
    ref isn't poor. game is scrappy but most free's he's given have been justified

Backs under serious pressure and cannot cope with the pace of the clare forwards.

Very little guile in the tipp forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Clare winning everything, tipp look like a rabbit caught in head lights..... Hopefully come out fighting in the second half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Congrats to Clare. A very classy side that dominated a lot of the game. Good luck to them.

Disappointed we couldn't create more as we were brilliant in attack the last two games but the Clare defense bottled us up.

I have defended Hogan up to this point but i thought the management were way too slow to change things around tonight. Correct me if im wrong but they didnt even make a positional change after the first twenty mins

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Clare showed the type of form which won the All Ireland Final last year,especially in that second half.Very difficult to cope with their pace.We fumbled a lot of ball,but we had some very young players out there.We don't seem to have very many athletic players.Hurling has become a running game,and we appear to have a lot of static players.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

First off congrats to Clare, superb team and well deserved the victory. To me anyways Tipp seemed very nervous in this match, the amount of times they dropped the ball out of the hand was awful. Experience of a lot of that Clare team really stood to them, much smarter in their play. Tipp did not turn up for the first half, correct me if I'm wrong but did we not score from play until the 36th minute roughly? They did improve a good bit in the second half and really did seem to have the Clare full back line in trouble towards the end when Meagher and O Riordan came on. How Liam McGrath, who I thought was our best player tonight, did not get a penalty is beyond me! Anyone care to fill me in on what happened at the Tipp goalmouth towards the end, couldn't really see but thought Clare had a certain goal

Moyorris wrote: »
    Clare showed the type of form which won the All Ireland Final last year,especially in that second half.Very difficult to cope with their pace.We fumbled a lot of ball,but we had some very young players out there.We don't seem to have very many athletic players.Hurling has become a running game,and we appear to have a lot of static players.

Yeah your spot on. I do have to wonder how up with the modern game the underage coaches are in Tipp though.

We seem to get shoved off the ball, we seem to fail in general to get out in front of our man, we seem to lack pace to run at teams and cope with teams running at us and O'Riordan aside we have no half forwards with the ability to field posession.

I suppose it would be easy to overreact at tonights performance but you look at Clare tonight and the way they hunt in packs while we win a ball, we are smothered immediately with not one showing to help their teammate and you'd have to wonder.

Ompala wrote: »
    Tipp did not turn up for the first half, correct me if I'm wrong but did we not score from play until the 36th minute roughly?

Yeah, McGrath point around then. A Niall O' Meara free three minutes later. That was it from play.
    Anyone care to fill me in on what happened at the Tipp goalmouth towards the end, couldn't really see but thought Clare had a certain goal

Not sure of the incident but the ball nearly went into the Tipp net but it strayed away. No Clare goal.

Clare senior experience in defense and up front coupled with our lack of scoring and their superior play won it for them.

Our forwards were ineffectual. Forde got 2-7 of our 2-10. Granted the Clare defenders did bottle them up but there was a lacking spark from the Limerick and Cork games.

David McInerney got MOTM but he was a little suspect in the second half. He was holding McGrath fairly tight (literally) in the square and was having some fits as Tipp dropped long ball on top of him. But in all he was solid enough, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Really bad display from Tipp tonight. Clare were far and away the better team and several Tipp players who have been mentioned as possible senior players for 2014 did their chances a lot of harm tonight. Colin O'Riordan, youngest player on the field was excellent when he came on. On Monday he had played an outstanding game for the Tipp minor footballers in the All Ireland Quarter Final in Longford. Fair play to him for showing the article by Westside, in this week's Nationalist re dual players, as being the rubbish that it is. Depressing night for all Tipp people who were in Thurles tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

More disappointment for Tipp followers tonight,we were second best all over the field no doubt about it,some lively players on that Clare team which we had no answer to.What a crap year it has been so far for Tipp GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Hamill got across to sweep it off the goal line...

tippspur wrote: »
    More disappointment for Tipp followers tonight,we were second best all over the field no doubt about it,some lively players on that Clare team which we had no answer to.What a crap year it has been so far for Tipp GAA.

Only one intercounty team left in any competition and thats our intermediate hurlers and with all due respect to the panel i would doubt there will be a ticket scramble for that somehow.

Hopefully now we'll use this as an opportunity to plan going forward. It would seem that tactically we're like moths drawn to the flame. We have to start looking at things like possession turnover statistics and pass rate on top of puckouts won and improve on those ratios at the very least.

• Advertisement

Hamill got across to sweep it off the goal line...

Had a poor game Hamill, but he was up against huge experience so hopefully he'll learn from it and drive on and they were swamped from the word go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Wasn't one lad out there that can be happy with his performance. Clare are a nicer team. We're terrible soft and never looked to be up for the game at all.

Also we were glued to the pitch. Clare made nice little runs and our lads didnt know how to handle it at all. I have to say though we were poorly set up. Very disapponting to see nothing being changed when it was clear that Clare were well on top.

Also lots of silly handling errors, poor positional play and bad stick work. It's disappointing becuase the players have more but we need to start producing players and get lads winning at under 21 again. You'd think the future was fairly bleak if you were judging off that game tonight. Hopefully we have a better year next year.

Wasn't one lad out there that can be happy with his performance. Clare are a nicer team. We're terrible soft and never looked to be up for the game at all.

Also we were glued to the pitch. Clare made nice little runs and our lads didnt know how to handle it at all. I have to say though we were poorly set up. Very disapponting to see nothing being changed when it was clear that Clare were well on top.

Also lots of silly handling errors, poor positional play and bad stick work. It's disappointing becuase the players have more but we need to start producing players and get lads winning at under 21 again. You'd think the future was fairly bleak if you were judging off that game tonight. Hopefully we have a better year next year.

Id take positives from tonight also. Still think Niall O'Meara is better then his performance would suggest and that he got into the game. We were well on top that final 15 only unfortunately the duck was done long before then. O'Riordan is absolutely super. A player we've been absolutely crying out for for years. He rose for a ball tonight and it was majestic. Ran about 20 yards or so before his jump and had his eye on the ball all the way. Magic. To be a photographer with a good camera is all i can say.

Surely though when midfield and the half backs were struggling, it would have at least crossed Ken's mind to throw in John Meagher, put O'Riordan under the high ball and throw on maybe Bill Maher or Dylan Fitzelle who'll battle in the middle. Stapleton was badly caught for speed but bizarrely he took off Justin Cahill who wasnt doing that bad considering he was pretty much on his own there.

I have no doubt the players done their upmost tonight against a top class Clare side but from a coaching perspective it leaves alot to ponder. Simple things like making sure we're first to a ball, delivery of long range free's or sixty-fives, hunting in packs, creating options for team mates, have to be looked at.

Its not the end of the world we didnt win tonight but you would hope that any potential managers would look at tonight and address the many ways we can improve by just improving on the little things.

Tipp Gunner, I would be as crtical as anyone of the performance on the line by Ken Hogan and his selectors. IMO they started the wrong team and they were very slow to make changes in an effort to save the game, but you can not blame them for not "throwing on" Bill Maher and Dylan Fitzelle as neither of those lads were on the 24 players selected for last night. I suppose that all of us, including myself can be over critical at times, but we have to be as fair as we can in our comments as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Id take positives from tonight also. Still think Niall O'Meara is better then his performance would suggest and that he got into the game. We were well on top that final 15 only unfortunately the duck was done long before then. O'Riordan is absolutely super. A player we've been absolutely crying out for for years. He rose for a ball tonight and it was majestic. Ran about 20 yards or so before his jump and had his eye on the ball all the way. Magic. To be a photographer with a good camera is all i can say.

Surely though when midfield and the half backs were struggling, it would have at least crossed Ken's mind to throw in John Meagher, put O'Riordan under the high ball and throw on maybe Bill Maher or Dylan Fitzelle who'll battle in the middle. Stapleton was badly caught for speed but bizarrely he took off Justin Cahill who wasnt doing that bad considering he was pretty much on his own there.

I have no doubt the players done their upmost tonight against a top class Clare side but from a coaching perspective it leaves alot to ponder. Simple things like making sure we're first to a ball, delivery of long range free's or sixty-fives, hunting in packs, creating options for team mates, have to be looked at.

Its not the end of the world we didnt win tonight but you would hope that any potential managers would look at tonight and address the many ways we can improve by just improving on the little things.

Would have to agree,as disappointed as we are with the performance there are quite a few young players on the team, likes of Breen and Hamill, is Forde underage again next year? 5-23 in 3 games is impressive stuff to say the least. O Riordan does look a great prospect, nearly would have started him in place of Heffernan other than he had to play with the Minor footballers on Monday

Tipp Gunner, I would be as crtical as anyone of the performance on the line by Ken Hogan and his selectors. IMO they started the wrong team and they were very slow to make changes in an effort to save the game, but you can not blame them for not "throwing on" Bill Maher and Dylan Fitzelle as neither of those lads were on the 24 players selected for last night. I suppose that all of us, including myself can be over critical at times, but we have to be as fair as we can in our comments as well.

Well to be fair now i stand corrected on that.

I only seen the first 15 and assumed the 2 lads would have been on the 24 because they were being tried in challenges (Maher came on against Limerick) plus due to their battling qualities at the very least. Both are All Ireland minor medallists after all.

I doubt Niall O' Meara hurt his chances a whole lot. That handpass for Forde's first goal was utterly outrageous!

I agree that Bill O'Meara has as good a chance as anyone on last night's team of doing well on the senior team in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

I agree that Bill O'Meara has as good a chance as anyone on last night's team of doing well on the senior team in 2014.

Have you seen him in club games?

• Advertisement

He certainly has more to offer, IMO, than his brother.

Advertisement