Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Surely Nenagh warrant a spot as bookies favourites given the scalps they have claimed so far.
    Yeah they could most cert be bookies favourites but despite their earlier victories I don't think theyre good enough to win Dan Breen(based on seeing them play Burgess in Dr Fogarty Cup Final and 1 or 2 of their group games in North Championship. They have improved a good bit since then but not enough IMO to be finalist or win County title

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Yeah they could most cert be bookies favourites but despite their earlier victories I don't think theyre good enough to win Dan Breen(based on seeing them play Burgess in Dr Fogarty Cup Final and 1 or 2 of their group games in North Championship. They have improved a good bit since then but not enough IMO to be finalist or win County title

I don`t believe they were up for it against Burgess , there`s a bit of niggle there between them and Nenagh didn`t want that situation to boil over .

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Draw for Senior Football Championship made tonight. Cahir or Arravale Rovers v. Loughmore; Eire Og v. Commercials; Aherlow v. Galtee Rovers; JK Brackens v. Moyle Rovers.

Draw for Senior Football Championship made tonight. Cahir or Arravale Rovers v. Loughmore; Eire Og v. Commercials; Aherlow v. Galtee Rovers; JK Brackens v. Moyle Rovers.

Thats the quarters Davin?

Yeah Quarter Finals. Cahir play Arravale Rovers on Friday night in New Inn, winners to play Loughmore. Brackens and Galtee Rovers had wins last week to qualify for the last 8 beating Thomas McDonaghs and Kilsheelan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I don`t believe they were up for it against Burgess , there`s a bit of niggle there between them and Nenagh didn`t want that situation to boil over .
    Don't believe it in the slightest that they weren't up from it. Burgess didn't want anything to boil over either and Nenagh were well up for it. Both wanted the silverware though Burgess a bit more as Nenagh had other more important games to think about

Reports that the Under 21 Hurling and Minor Hurling management and selectors have resigned. Ken Hogan has done 4 years with the Under 21's so probably feels that it is time to move on. The minor one is a surprise to me. William Maher & co. got a fair bit of criticism after losing to Limerick, but they did win the All Ireland in 2012 and I would have expected them to stay on for another spell. Maybe, they will just move up to Under 21. Any likely candidates for the minor job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Paddico

Looks like 4 teams from the west.
    Eire Og
    Aherlow Gaels
    Galtee Rovers and
    Arravale

Havent been able to keep up with it but how does it work. Would have only expected 2 teams from the west in there

Reports that the Under 21 Hurling and Minor Hurling management and selectors have resigned. Ken Hogan has done 4 years with the Under 21's so probably feels that it is time to move on. The minor one is a surprise to me. William Maher & co. got a fair bit of criticism after losing to Limerick, but they did win the All Ireland in 2012 and I would have expected them to stay on for another spell. Maybe, they will just move up to Under 21. Any likely candidates for the minor job.

I have a feeling that perhaps Michael Ryan from Fethard could get the minor job while maybe Willie, like Davy Power last year might move up to u21.

I would agree the u21 management didnt do themselves any favours. I rate Connolly but im not so sure about Ken in any capacity anymore. That Munster final left me very disillusioned. I suppose to be fair it cant all be put down to Ken either. Connolly was with him on the sideline.

Willie Maher is getting a bit too much stick. There wasnt an awful lot more he could do with the minors that night then he did as the nature of managing adolescent teenagers is that there will be inconsistency. Things just didnt go our way and it was a very very competitive championship at minor level which Waterford (who we beat in Walsh park back in April) eventually went on and won

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

The new vacancies were quickly filled:

TJ Connolly (Cashel Kilcormacs) is the new U21 manager https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA/status/382600591681527808

Liam Cahill (Ballingary) as the minor manager: https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA/status/382601015293648896

• Advertisement

That was extremely quick on the part of the County Board. I would not exactly be impressed by either appointment. I know we criticised Willie Maher after he Limerick defeat, but he will be a loss to the minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Maybe they had them lined up in advance?

I would say you are right reacher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I would say you are right reacher

Yourself and reacher know more about the county management than i do so can i ask ye, is all this changing managers actually good for the Tipp teams in the long run? I would've thought a bit of stability for a few seasons would be best. It seems to me that Tipp GAA are taking a risk. Or am i talkin shïte?

Well I suppose Ken Hogan had done 4 years with the Under 21's so he probably felt it was time for a change. I feel that if Willie Maher was not moving up to the Under 21's, many of whom he had as minors, it would have been better if he stayed with the minors for a year or two more. I would be inclined to agree with you that maybe there is too much changing of managers and a bit more stability might help. On the other hand, T J Connolly was Ken Hogan's number 2 for the last couple of years and I would not see him as a good choice as Under 21 manager. I suppose you don't really know until the year is over how a manager is going to work out. It is often a case of hoping for the best.

Well I suppose Ken Hogan had done 4 years with the Under 21's so he probably felt it was time for a change. I feel that if Willie Maher was not moving up to the Under 21's, many of whom he had as minors, it would have been better if he stayed with the minors for a year or two more. I would be inclined to agree with you that maybe there is too much changing of managers and a bit more stability might help. On the other hand, T J Connolly was Ken Hogan's number 2 for the last couple of years and I would not see him as a good choice as Under 21 manager. I suppose you don't really know until the year is over how a manager is going to work out. It is often a case of hoping for the best.

Is there still a possibility you think of Willie coming back into the u21 setup in order to work alongside TJ? I mean management teams are pretty much an equal effort now even if the titles give those on the outside the impression that one man is more important then the other

I could not seee that happening and I would not agree that mangement teams are equals. Surely, Eamonn O'Shea in the No. 1 man rather than sharing the job with Michael Ryan and Paudie O'Neill. I can't see Willie Maher as No. 2 with T J Connolly. I don't think it would work.

Munster Council refuse to make any change in the seeded draw for the 2014 SFC. Stormy days ahead, I would say, for Council Chairman Robert Frost, particularly in his own county of Clare. Hard to forecast how this will finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Just see now that Liam Cahill is the new minor manager.. He has been doing great work with Carrickshock of late and has them nicely primed on an assault of the senior championship in KK.

Senior Football Championship -: Arravale Rovers 1-23; Cahir 3-10 after extra time. An amazing game as Arravale led by 7 points in the 2nd half with Cahir down to 14, but Cahir got a run on tham and were 2 points in front going in to added time. Arravale drew level and it went to extra time. Half time in extra time Cahir led by 3-10 to 1-15, but Arravale scored 8 points without reply in the second half of extra time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Senior Football Championship -: Arravale Rovers 1-23; Cahir 3-10 after extra time. An amazing game as Arravale led by 7 points in the 2nd half with Cahir down to 14, but Cahir got a run on tham and were 2 points in front going in to added time. Arravale drew level and it went to extra time. Half time in extra time Cahir led by 3-10 to 1-15, but Arravale scored 8 points without reply in the second half of extra time.
    Had Cahir 15 men in the extra time period?

Yes, Cahir had 15 players for the extra time. In fact they were down to 13 for the last minute or two of normal time. Robbie Costigan going off injured was a huge blow to Cahir. They might have held on if he were fit to finish the normal time.

phkk wrote: »
    Just see now that Liam Cahill is the new minor manager.. He has been doing great work with Carrickshock of late and has them nicely primed on an assault of the senior championship in KK.

Yeah think he was part of the Tipp u17s management that won a Munster title recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Two big games in the county hurling championship. Borris v Loughmore and Kiladangan v Nenagh. Anyone wanna make some predictions? Personally I reckon Borris will beat Loughmore handily enough, (I hope I'm wrong). As a Nenagh man I'd obviously love to see Éire Óg push through but Kiladangan will be a serious challenge. Anyway best of luck to all involved, I'm sure it'll be a good day for hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ompala

Hard luck to the ladies intermediates, gave everything today

Loughmore beat Borrisoleigh and Nenagh and Kildangan drew.

Loughmore beat Borrisoleigh and Nenagh and Kildangan drew.

Kildangan seem to be a very sticky side who never know when they are beaten

Ompala wrote: »

Cavan were just that bit cuter with possession and also more direct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Ompala wrote: »
    Yep,they put in a great effort,Cavan forwards were very good and wasted very few of their chances.

• Advertisement

I see that Limerick have got their reward for proposing the seeded draw for the Munster SFC. Promotion to Div. 1(a) of the hurling league is a nice early dividend. Not much consolation to the Limerick footballers though.

Advertisement