Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

The 4 counties playing panels issued a statement tonight stating that they want to withdraw from the McGrath Cup for 2014 and not make themselves available for the Munster Railway Cup panel . Also considering not taking part in the Munster Championship in 2015 if the seedings are still in place for that Championship .

Pity it has come to this , the McGrath Cup is always a good warm up for the League , but the players anger is understandable !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The 4 counties playing panels issued a statement tonight stating that they want to withdraw from the McGrath Cup for 2014 and not make themselves available for the Munster Railway Cup panel . Also considering not taking part in the Munster Championship in 2015 if the seedings are still in place for that Championship .

Pity it has come to this , the McGrath Cup is always a good warm up for the League , but the players anger is understandable !
    Who are the 4 counties?

I see that Limerick have got their reward for proposing the seeded draw for the Munster SFC. Promotion to Div. 1(a) of the hurling league is a nice early dividend. Not much consolation to the Limerick footballers though.
    That's a scandal,Frank Murphy working behind the scenes to get Cork back in div 1a aswel no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

tippspur wrote: »
    Who are the 4 counties?

id imagine its tipp,wford,limerick and clare:)

so lads who would we like in the first round of munster in the hurling?

• Advertisement

buggy beag wrote: »
    id imagine its tipp,wford,limerick and clare:)
    Yeah but didn't Limerick and Waterford vote in favour of the seeding,have they changed their minds or what?

so lads who would we like in the first round of munster in the hurling?
    Clare of course :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Clare of course :cool:

...Hear that? That's the sound of the media salivating. That would be insane.

Not sure who I'd like. Something handy...:pac:

Any thoughts on the All-Star nominations? I think Michael Cahill and Brendan Maher hurled really well this year and they didn't get a nomination. That's slightly disappointing. Even more so is that we didn't get a single mention.

Yeah but didn't Limerick and Waterford vote in favour of the seeding,have they changed their minds or what?

not big into the football lad but it looks like the county boards voted in favour but the players are against it:)

...Hear that? That's the sound of the media salivating. That would be insane.

Not sure who I'd like. Something handy...:pac:

Any thoughts on the All-Star nominations? I think Michael Cahill and Brendan Maher hurled really well this year and they didn't get a nomination. That's slightly disappointing. Even more so is that we didn't get a single mention.

suppose we only played 2 championship games and limerick bet us well and we were ****e against kk too

• Advertisement

We got Limerick in the draw. Game is a semi-final and will be played in Thurles.

probaly a double header will it?

It'd make a lot of sense to have a double header. You'll have a huge crowd for the hurling so the footballers will get support. Plus it's a cost-saving measure, saves forking out for two separate days out.

Limerick might want the football at home as the hurlers are travelling (hurlers/footballers probably wouldn't mind but I've a feeling the higher-ups do).

Just trying to work out in my head if the football and hurling will run concurrent because for large parts of this season they were on different weekends.

probaly a double header will it?

Not if both football panels press ahead and pull out :P

Seriously hope it is though. Would be some day out in Semple. Did Tipp not play them in Semple back in 2009 though?

I hope we can ram Loughnane's words down his throat next year. No need for him to have a swipe at us as if his own county were laden with senior all irelands. He should just be happy with his own and shut his mouth. Might have also escaped his notice that we won 3 Munsters in 4 years and appeared in 3 consecutive all ireland finals. Clare are a great young crop but if they are foolish enough to listen to him then they could go the same way as we did.

Not if both football panels press ahead and pull out :P

Seriously hope it is though. Would be some day out in Semple. Did Tipp not play them in Semple back in 2009 though?

think we played cork that year in semple and dont think there was a football match before it

think we played cork that year in semple and dont think there was a football match before it

What i meant was i think we may have played Limerick in Semple the same year (though it wasnt a double header) and that was the only time in a while we've drawn anyone other than Kerry.

We got Limerick in the draw. Game is a semi-final and will be played in Thurles.
    We should be better prepared for Limerick next year and hopefully won't get caught out by them again.It would be nice to be back in the Munster final again.

I hope we can ram Loughnane's words down his throat next year. No need for him to have a swipe at us as if his own county were laden with senior all irelands. He should just be happy with his own and shut his mouth. Might have also escaped his notice that we won 3 Munsters in 4 years and appeared in 3 consecutive all ireland finals. Clare are a great young crop but if they are foolish enough to listen to him then they could go the same way as we did.
    This is one of the reasons why I can't bring myself to congratulate Clare on their win with all my heart,Loughnane with his big gob and Davy Fitz with an even bigger gob.they just put me off Clare.I would love it if we beat them,just love it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Tipp and Limerick can't be a double header, because the football match is a quarter final and the hurling is a semi final, so the dates will be several weeks apart. Also the football game will be at a Limerick venue and I don't think the Limerick County Board would want to cause more trouble with their footballers by conceding home advantage.

• Advertisement

This is one of the reasons why I can't bring myself to congratulate Clare on their win with all my heart, Loughnane with his big gob and Davy Fitz with an even bigger gob.they just put me off Clare.I would love it if we beat them,just love it:)

Id like to separate the Clare hurling personnel from those two idiots though because young Shane O'donnell and a few of his teammates all seem like very humble and likeable men as well as a very fluid and talented side to watch. I dont begrudge them success. Davy does deserve his credit even if he can be an almighty pain in the hole when he gets going.

Loughnane though is a joke. Here is a man that battled leukaemia and having been lucky to recover (which i might add im relieved for him) he is still playing his silly little mind games.

Personally im optimistic for 2014. I expect a very new look about the side and we could well take the championship by storm. A few of these boyos might be sorry they opened their mouth yet.

Tipp and Limerick can't be a double header, because the football match is a quarter final and the hurling is a semi final, so the dates will be several weeks apart. Also the football game will be at a Limerick venue and I don't think the Limerick County Board would want to cause more trouble with their footballers by conceding home advantage.

Davin your right id forgotten about that. It's this recession we're in. We're all so mad to save money we cant see the wood from the trees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Personally i think Loughnane is spot on, it sucks to hear it (especially from a clare man) but he's right, we haven't kicked on from that one successful year. That 2010 team had an opportunity to dominate hurling but they haven't achieved their potential. Would anyone here have said in 2010 that we'd accept 2 munster titles as our grand total over the next 3 years? Loughnane made a legitimate comparison and just because we don't like it doesn't make it wrong. It may have been an unnecessary comment by him but maybe its no harm for us to hear that other counties view us as wasted talent, maybe it'll put a chip on our shoulder.

The positive is we still have time to see these players potential come to fruition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

This is one of the reasons why I can't bring myself to congratulate Clare on their win with all my heart,Loughnane with his big gob and Davy Fitz with an even bigger gob.they just put me off Clare.I would love it if we beat them,just love it:)

Ye are too sensitive to Loughnane's words. I think what he was really getting at, was that the promise of Tipp's young stars of a few years ago, hasn't delivered in terms of All Ireland senior medals, to the extent that many people expected. People from outside Tipp, as well as within. Certainly, I thought Tipp had arrived for a few All Irelands at senior level. Didn't work out that way, though.
    Loughnane's words, were really meant as a caution to Clare! Just because they now have one final won, and seem to have a big panel of young talent, does not mean more medals will follow!

OAOB wrote: »
    Personally i think Loughnane is spot on, it sucks to hear it (especially from a clare man) but he's right, we haven't kicked on from that one successful year. That 2010 team had an opportunity to dominate hurling but they haven't achieved their potential. Would anyone here have said in 2010 that we'd accept 2 munster titles as our grand total over the next 3 years? Loughnane made a legitimate comparison and just because we don't like it doesn't make it wrong. It may have been an unnecessary comment by him but maybe its no harm for us to hear that other counties view us as wasted talent, maybe it'll put a chip on our shoulder.

The positive is we still have time to see these players potential come to fruition.

flip side is that the tipp team was around at the height of arguably the best hurling team ever plus we had the change in management after 2010

flip side is that the tipp team was around at the height of arguably the best hurling team ever plus we had the change in management after 2010

We outplayed them in 2009 and 2010, after 2010 we were the team to be feared, we'd overtaken KK. The change of management killed our momentum but players haven't kept the standards that were set in 2010. Loughnane was right to use us as a warning to the Clare team, its a shame we didn't have someone to use as an example of how easily you can fall back into the pack

OAOB wrote: »

I cant deny that Loughnane is onto something and perhaps his words were misconstrued by the meejah. dampintheattic could be right also in that he might have simply said Clare must learn from our mistakes. Im under no illusions and would be Tipp's biggest critic. We dont need any reminder of our failings. We win an all Ireland and it would seem we leave the wheel and turn on Autopilot and next thing we know we've nosedived into the sea. This cycle has to end. I commend TJ Connolly for addressing the elephant in the room during the week. For a county of our resources we really should be winning more. That said i am optimistic for the future. I believe we have a fantastic structure at under-age. The raw materials are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

SFC Quarter Final - Loughmore-Castleiney 0-16; Arravale Rovers 1-12 (after extra time). Hurling football double still on for Loughmore.

No lads.Loughnane was just being bitter,and not for the first time.

• Advertisement

No lads.Loughnane was just being bitter,and not for the first time.
    So if it wasn't Loughnane who said it would you have an issue with the point that was being made?

Advertisement