Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Hard to say. You have 2 teams with great heart. Both of today's games probably should have ended as draws, but if I had to pick one, I would give my vote to Loughmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Congrats to Loughmore who are into the football championship (after beating a Clonmel team, mind ;)) as well as winning the hurling last week. Terrific accomplishment. Noel McGrath was a star today I read? Proficient at dual sports, McGrath is an athlete.

Also, all of Loughmore's points came from the McGrath clan. That's phenomenal. There's a real sense of community you get with the GAA that is seldom found elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Heard there was a bit of controversy over a penalty at the end of the Minor A final yesterday between Nenagh and Holycross, anyone able to clear up what happened, something over a penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Ompala wrote: »
    Heard there was a bit of controversy over a penalty at the end of the Minor A final yesterday between Nenagh and Holycross, anyone able to clear up what happened, something over a penalty?

Basically nenagh were winning by a point last minute of the game when holycross got a penalty. While people in the crowd where debating whether or not to go for goal, the referee takes the ball and throws it in on the 21. The ball gets cleared and nenagh win the county final.
    Apparently what I heard is that one of the holycross management team thrown in a dry ball for the penalty. Referee spotted it and changed his decision. Very harsh on the players I thought and an awful way to decide a county final.

Very good game of hurling though with both sides possessing some very good players.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Basically nenagh were winning by a point last minute of the game when holycross got a penalty. While people in the crowd where debating whether or not to go for goal, the referee takes the ball and throws it in on the 21. The ball gets cleared and nenagh win the county final.
    Apparently what I heard is that one of the holycross management team thrown in a dry ball for the penalty. Referee spotted it and changed his decision. Very harsh on the players I thought and an awful way to decide a county final.

Very good game of hurling though with both sides possessing some very good players.

Cheers! Seems a sour note to end on alright, heard it was a fantastic game between two very evenly matched sides, remember seeing them play each other in Under 12 years ago and Cross won by a point, could be a rivalry for the future

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Congrats to Loughmore who are into the football championship (after beating a Clonmel team, mind ;)) as well as winning the hurling last week. Terrific accomplishment. Noel McGrath was a star today I read? Proficient at dual sports, McGrath is an athlete.

Also, all of Loughmore's points came from the McGrath clan. That's phenomenal. There's a real sense of community you get with the GAA that is seldom found elsewhere.

Final is on Sunday week , hopefully a really good game in store . Minor Final is also on Sunday week , Drom and Inch v Commericals , however the game is on in Boherlahan @ 11.45 ! Why can`t it be played before the Senior Final in Thurles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Final is on Sunday week , hopefully a really good game in store . Minor Final is also on Sunday week , Drom and Inch v Commericals , however the game is on in Boherlahan @ 11.45 ! Why can`t it be played before the Senior Final in Thurles ?

sorry now dont know much about club football but trying to educate myself haha what are drom and inch like in senior football?

Drom-Inch do not have a Senior Football team. They are in the County Junior Final and strongly fancied to win it and go up to Intermediate for next year.

Drom-Inch do not have a Senior Football team. They are in the County Junior Final and strongly fancied to win it and go up to Intermediate for next year.

Can see them doing very well in the Munster Club if they do win it .

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

cheers lad:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

What's the extended training panel? does anyone have a list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What's the extended training panel? does anyone have a list?

No but the 'big' lads aren't back until January - Johno, Lar, Kelly, Curran. Apparently Pa Bourke, Shane Bourke and Jonny Ryan have been dropped from the panel all together.

Lot's of lads like Ronan Maher, Liam McGrath etc. training with EOS at the moment.

Also we've stopped 'bulking up' players and a new coach has been brought in to focus on speed and agility.

This article says there's about 45 players on the extended panel. Huge number. http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/hurling-news/eamon-oshea-brendan-cummins-missed-2482157

Article also says Brian O' Meara is set for the chop. Little surprised at Shane Bourke rumour. He was a great player for us in the league but when Championship came around he did sorta vanish.

This article says there's about 45 players on the extended panel. Huge number. http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/hurling-news/eamon-oshea-brendan-cummins-missed-2482157

Article also says Brian O' Meara is set for the chop. Little surprised at Shane Bourke rumour. He was a great player for us in the league but when Championship came around he did sorta vanish.

I had heard today it was Pa? EDIT: Scrap that wasnt aware that both were culled.

Hard luck to Loughmore today. To almost snatch victory against the Munster champions of 2011 with 13 men is highly admirable. A real gutsy bunch. Much as i also have great time for Aherlow i hope Loughmore complete the double next week. Would it be a first for any club in Tipperary does anyone know?

Red Crow wrote: »
    No but the 'big' lads aren't back until January - Johno, Lar, Kelly, Curran. Apparently Pa Bourke, Shane Bourke and Jonny Ryan have been dropped from the panel all together.

Lot's of lads like Ronan Maher, Liam McGrath etc. training with EOS at the moment.

Also we've stopped 'bulking up' players and a new coach has been brought in to focus on speed and agility

Thats interesting because i had noticed we were absolutely skinned for pace on several occasions last year. Our hammering against Cork in the league coupled with the meetings against Kilkenny in league and championship highlighted it.

I have a feeling a few more will get the cull yet....even big names and i dont just mean the players over 30. If right was right, Shane Mcgrath and Seamie Callanan should also be facing a winter of discontent.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Anyone know what the players were sent off for.

Can Loughmore's bans be carried into next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Well done to Loughmore for a heroic effort.Congratulations to Ballina also.

Munster U. 17 Football Final (Daryl Darcy Cup) - Clare 1-15; Tipperary 0-7. Did not expect a beating like that. Has the golden era of Tipp minor football ended.

Munster U. 17 Football Final (Daryl Darcy Cup) - Clare 1-15; Tipperary 0-7. Did not expect a beating like that. Has the golden era of Tipp minor football ended.

Would like to see what Team was like . Team Captain , Willie Connors played for Kildangan in an Under 21 game @ 12.30 . Definately will see a big improvement when the Championship comes around .

• Advertisement

Brandan Maher to be captain of Senior Hurlers in 2014, with Noel McGrath vice captain.

Brandan Maher to be captain of Senior Hurlers in 2014, with Noel McGrath vice captain.

Early this has been decided. Brendan is a good choice although i think Noelie needs to find some consistency and earn his spot first let alone be allocated any form of captaincy

Maher is a solid appointment. He's young and yet experienced. Serious hurler too. A few of us penned him for the captaincy some time back also.

Would of liked to of seen Mikey Cahill get it as I've said loads of times on here but Brendan Maher is a great choice too. This is a vote of confidence in Noel McGrath too. Let's hope he can get going strong this year because we'll need him.

Red Crow wrote: »
    Would of liked to of seen Mikey Cahill get it as I've said loads of times on here but Brendan Maher is a great choice too. This is a vote of confidence in Noel McGrath too. Let's hope he can get going strong this year because we'll need him.

Agree with you on Cahill and i would have had either him, Saint or both of them in the captaincy slots to be honest though i dont object to Brendan getting the main gig because he deserves it too in my opinion.

If Noel is given the responsibility of leadership when Brendan is not around then he needs to start showing it and fast. We have already endured a disaster with Shane Mcgrath in the year just gone who suffered the acrimony of being subbed at half time for a man that was still in the recovery process from a broken wrist, good hurler that Bergin may be.

There is just nowhere to hide for any of the lads who won All Ireland medals anymore. EOS has put his head on the block for them and now they must repay him and in spades.

My only gripe was Cahill was the only one that hurled for EOS for the year. He was absolutely top class. Noel was poor last year and Brendan was solid but he didn't stand out like Mikey Cahill.

Brendan Maher and Bergin in midfield does full me with optimism for the new year though. Also Saint was pure class playing as a FB against KK. I'm nearly 100% sure about Bubbles, Cahill, Brendan Maher, Bonnar (had a rough year last year with the army training) and Saint putting in good shifts for us next year. Hopefully Noel McGrath and a few others will step it up this year.

What I'm worried about next year is who's going to play full back and our full forward line. I just don't see where we improve there. As I said above Saint was excellent against KK but he's probably not tall enough to play there full time.

Michael Cahill was naturally a deserving recipient but we should stop and consider that maybe he declined a potential offer? I'm sure it's plenty of responsibility and it takes a sort of personality to be captain.

Michael Cahill was naturally a deserving recipient but we should stop and consider that maybe he declined a potential offer? I'm sure it's plenty of responsibility and it takes a sort of personality to be captain.

Perhaps but id see no reason why Cahill wouldnt be aware of the qualities he possesses and would see himself as a fine captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Would like to see what Team was like . Team Captain , Willie Connors played for Kildangan in an Under 21 game @ 12.30 . Definately will see a big improvement when the Championship comes around .
    Team was
    Tipperary: Jack Brady (Ballina); Ross Dennehy (Clonmel Commercials), Liam Ryan (Clonmel Commercials), Faolain Linnane (Thurles Sarsfields); Stephen Kelly (Clonmel Commercials), Willie Connors (Kildangan), Danny Owens (Moyle Rovers); Jack Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials), Stephen Quirke (Moyle Rovers); Ross Peters (Clonmel Commercials), Padraig White (Clonmel Commercials), Emmett Moloney (Drom & Inch); Liam Duffy (Newport), Shane Lonergan (Moyle Rovers), Darren McGrath (Galtee Rovers)
    Subs: Michael O'Connor (Cahir), Jamie Bergin (Drom & Inch), Brian Norris (Moyle Rovers), Billy McCarthy (Thurles Sarsfields), Colm O Shaughnessy (Ardfinnan)

Wouldn't say golden age of minor football has ended. Very early days in terms of talking about minor side for next year. Give it time.

The under 21 hurling management team for next year has been announced and TJ Connolly (Cashel KC) will be head coach with Ken Dunne (Toomevara), Niall Curran (Mullinahone) and Noel Morris (Loughmore) assisting him.
    What do people think of that management team? Connolly had served his apprenticeship under Ken Hogan so is fine but what do people think of his assistants?
    Niall played senior football for the county but don't know of experience playing hurling?
    Anyone know much of the management teams coaching experience

• Advertisement

Team was
    Tipperary: Jack Brady (Ballina); Ross Dennehy (Clonmel Commercials), Liam Ryan (Clonmel Commercials), Faolain Linnane (Thurles Sarsfields); Stephen Kelly (Clonmel Commercials), Willie Connors (Kildangan), Danny Owens (Moyle Rovers); Jack Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials), Stephen Quirke (Moyle Rovers); Ross Peters (Clonmel Commercials), Padraig White (Clonmel Commercials), Emmett Moloney (Drom & Inch); Liam Duffy (Newport), Shane Lonergan (Moyle Rovers), Darren McGrath (Galtee Rovers)
    Subs: Michael O'Connor (Cahir), Jamie Bergin (Drom & Inch), Brian Norris (Moyle Rovers), Billy McCarthy (Thurles Sarsfields), Colm O Shaughnessy (Ardfinnan)

Wouldn't say golden age of minor football has ended. Very early days in terms of talking about minor side for next year. Give it time.

The under 21 hurling management team for next year has been announced and TJ Connolly (Cashel KC) will be head coach with Ken Dunne (Toomevara), Niall Curran (Mullinahone) and Noel Morris (Loughmore) assisting him.
    What do people think of that management team? Connolly had served his apprenticeship under Ken Hogan so is fine but what do people think of his assistants?
    Niall played senior football for the county but don't know of experience playing hurling?
    Anyone know much of the management teams coaching experience

Niall was a very good club hurler for Mullinahone. He made his senior debut as a teenager back in the late 90s and had a particularly good game back in 2002 when they finally sealed the county title but as coaching goes i only ever heard of him work with Mullinahone's juvenile setup. He might have also been apart of the minor setup back in 2011 when Mullinahone won the county minor but i cant be 100% sure of that.

Noel was part of the recent minor winning management. Ken im not sure what his coaching credentials are but a very decorated stalwart for Toomevara on the field of play over the years.

Any word on the new minor management team? Who is slotting in beside Liam Cahill? Willie Maher is going to be part of the Waterford senior management setup next year. Does anyone know was there a push or pull factor involved there because i had heard they wouldnt give him the u21 job. Caroline Currid gone there too. Pity Tipp couldnt get her back as part of the setup. The mental side of things could be as important to Tipp as the physical side of things.

Advertisement