Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Discipline will have to be addressed.Loughmore had 2 sent off,and Nenagh minors had 1 sent off,in the inaugural Munster minor Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Moyorris wrote: »
    Discipline will have to be addressed.Loughmore had 2 sent off,and Nenagh minors had 1 sent off,in the inaugural Munster minor Championship.

I agree discipline does not seem to be addressed in Loughmore. I am aware that a well known county player was heard to point to one of his team mates during the semi final played against Commercials in Cashel.............."It's a free you f***ing eejit". Clearly audible to many of the spectators. Where does the manager stand on this issue. No surprise they ended last Sunday's game with 13 men.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Surprised Pa is dropped....good sub to have...will Eoin Kelly come back? Eoin would be good sub to have now too...but his days of 70 inter county hurling are gone IMO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

What about a full foward line of Bubbles, Lar, Jason forde - there's lots of goals in that

I think playing Jason out on the wing or center forward is decoration - the closer to goal the better - same for Lar and Bubbles

Niall O'Meara, Noelie, bonnar - might be our best bet at half forward - even though Noelie is not physical enough - but no forward line is perfect

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Fair play to Loughmore, absolutely phenomenal achievement to win the double in this day and age, especially after playing a Munster semi in the hurling last weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Can someone post up a photo of the starting 15 and subs on the programme from todays senior football final?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Fair play to Loughmore, absolutely phenomenal achievement to win the double in this day and age, especially after playing a Munster semi in the hurling last weekend!

Incredible team, work so hard for each other and never give up. Inspiration for any club, think they get next weekend off before playing Dr.Crokes in the Munster Semi, they have earned a rest!

Ompala wrote: »
    Incredible team, work so hard for each other and never give up. Inspiration for any club, think they get next weekend off before playing Dr.Crokes in the Munster Semi, they have earned a rest!

Someone alluded to their lack of discipline earlier and they are spot on. Discipline proved their undoing last week.....but part of the beauty of a club like remarkable little Loughmore-Castleiney is that the main driver is their siege mentality. That 'us against the world' mindset. It gives them that little bit extra. Loughmore have seen off teams with twice the talent this year in both codes....but these clubs have only half the heart by comparison :)

A truly amazing club. The very very best of luck to Loughmore/Castleiney in the Munster football championship. I wouldnt bet against anything other then them having an almighty cut at the Crokes. They may go down against such class...but they'll go down with spirit having left nothing on the field. If they could pull off the shock of all shocks then it wouldnt surprise me one bit either.

Surprised Pa is dropped....good sub to have...will Eoin Kelly come back? Eoin would be good sub to have now too...but his days of 70 inter county hurling are gone IMO...

Pa has all the skills but the physical side of the game is a mountain to climb for him. I think we need warriors to come in when the chips are down. Pa entering the field against a team in full pomp would be no help. True he got a goal against Kilkenny (Final 2011 albeit a fairly speculative shot that Herity will be red faced over) and he left on the winning point in 2010 against Galway, but senior inter-county hurling has become a game of instinct and reaction and you have to be able to mind yourself. I'm not sure Pa can bring these features any longer. Its a pity because he apparently does mind himself and does everything asked of him but up against the like of Kilkenny or Dublin who have big strong men who are on you like a shot i think he will be found wanting be he a fresh man coming in on 55-60 minutes let alone a starter.

Im beginning to wonder if Eoin, John O'Brien or Curran will have the speed required any longer either. I would hope like Brendan Cummins that they would make a decision before its taken out of their hands.

Lar on the other hand still has that athleticism and cuteness that could be needed. I honestly believe that we would have beaten Kilkenny had he not picked up that injury that day in Nowlan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great achievement for Loughmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Likely we'll be getting a new jersey this year. O' Neills' website are selling Tipperary GAA gear cheap (for instance: jersey for €25 - good deal) and a couple of Twitter conversations are indicative of this.

Likely we'll be getting a new jersey this year. O' Neills' website are selling Tipperary GAA gear cheap (for instance: jersey for €25 - good deal) and a couple of Twitter conversations are indicative of this.

Our 3 yr cycle with the current number is up alright. I'd like a nice 80s throwback shirt this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Our 3 yr cycle with the current number is up alright. I'd like a nice 80s throwback shirt this time

Oh no way, hated the older jerseys, jerseys have been getting nicer year on year imo.

I forgot about the three year cycle but I do like the style of the current one. Looking forward to seeing what gets approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Fixtures for Waterford Crystal Cup 2014 - (apologies for bad layout!!)

Preliminary Round A Waterford v UL 12 Jan Waterford venue
    Preliminary Round B Limerick v IT Tralee 12 Jan Limerick venue
    Preliminary Round C Tipperary v LIT 12 Jan Tipperary venue
    QF 1 Kerry v Tipperary or LIT 19 Jan Austin Stack Park Tralee
    QF 2 WIT v Waterford or UL 19 Jan Waterford venue
    QF 3 Clare v Limerick or IT Tralee 19 Jan Cusack Park Ennis or Sixmilebridge
    QF 4 UCC v Mary I 19 Jan Cork venue
    SF Winner of 1 Winner of 2 26 Jan
    SF Winner of 3 Winner of 4 26 Jan
    Final 2 Feb

http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/waterford-crystal-cup-senior-hurling/

Oh no way, hated the older jerseys, jerseys have been getting nicer year on year imo.

Some of the asymmetric versions are brilliant no doubt like Mayo but I'd love to see a nod back to the late eighties to a glorious era where we had Nicky, Fox and Leahy. Might inspire the new crop

marvin80 wrote: »
    Fixtures for Waterford Crystal Cup 2014 - (apologies for bad layout!!)

Preliminary Round A Waterford v UL 12 Jan Waterford venue
    Preliminary Round B Limerick v IT Tralee 12 Jan Limerick venue
    Preliminary Round C Tipperary v LIT 12 Jan Tipperary venue
    QF 1 Kerry v Tipperary or LIT 19 Jan Austin Stack Park Tralee
    QF 2 WIT v Waterford or UL 19 Jan Waterford venue
    QF 3 Clare v Limerick or IT Tralee 19 Jan Cusack Park Ennis or Sixmilebridge
    QF 4 UCC v Mary I 19 Jan Cork venue
    SF Winner of 1 Winner of 2 26 Jan
    SF Winner of 3 Winner of 4 26 Jan
    Final 2 Feb

http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/waterford-crystal-cup-senior-hurling/
    I hope they play a couple of the WC games in south Tipp next year.

tippspur wrote: »
    I hope they play a couple of the WC games in south Tipp next year.

Sorry I have to disagree, Thurles should be the home of all Waterford Crystal and National League games, it is well served by motor ways to the east and west of the town........i.e. the M8 and M7 and a great rail service for our supporters in Dublin, Cork and Limerick.

The facilities in Thurles show great respect to our visiting teams. As a football supporter I expect Tipp to move up a division this year.

With respect for your passionate interest in Tipp GAA.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Sorry I have to disagree, Thurles should be the home of all Waterford Crystal and National League games, it is well served by motor ways to the east and west of the town........i.e. the M8 and M7 and a great rail service for our supporters in Dublin, Cork and Limerick.

The facilities in Thurles show great respect to our visiting teams. As a football supporter I expect Tipp to move up a division this year.

With respect for your passionate interest in Tipp GAA.

Great diplomacy in this post :D

I would think it might be more cost effective for tipp to hit the road in the less important games as the cost of opening Semple for such meaningless games would mean that the county board who were recently strapped for Cash are making further losses and if the weaker hurling areas down south got exposure it might be a good thing.

That said i do take your point in terms of centrality and motorway access and the general comfort of watching a game in the Stadium by comparison to other places. Would like if Tipp though could go on the road a bit and do training sessions in the smaller clubs down south if anything to give the young lads in these parishes a lift and a bit of inspiraton perhaps

That said Thurles is indeed very central.

WC games only attract a few hundred spectators,no point in opening Semple for that many,the sports field in Clonmel would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Hayes Hotel in Thurles is in receivership.

I've been saying this for year and the Tipperary County Board and/or GAA need to give serious consideration to this.

Namely, they should purchase Hayes Hotel and re-open it as a museum.

In 2010, the Tour of Ireland cycle race started and finished in Thurles.
    With a syndicated world wide audience running in to hundreds of millions of people, it was a golden opportunity to sell the "Home of Hurling" message for tourism.

The syndicated programme did feature Hayes Hotel - but it failed to sell the message in my opinion - because a working hotel is not a museum.

The GAA could turn Hayes Hotel in to a museum to the game and to the sport.

hinault wrote: »
    Hayes Hotel in Thurles is in receivership.

I've been saying this for year and the Tipperary County Board and/or GAA need to give serious consideration to this.

Namely, they should purchase Hayes Hotel and re-open it as a museum.

In 2010, the Tour of Ireland cycle race started and finished in Thurles.
    With a syndicated world wide audience running in to hundreds of millions of people, it was a golden opportunity to sell the "Home of Hurling" message for tourism.

The syndicated programme did feature Hayes Hotel - but it failed to sell the message in my opinion - because a working hotel is not a museum.

The GAA could turn Hayes Hotel in to a museum to the game and to the sport.

100 % agree. TBF former president Sean Kelly has bandied the idea around but the Tipp county board should perhaps put forward a motion at congress next year. So much tourist potential there and on the 130 would bring things nicely full circle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=204339

'Geezer' to double job with Armagh and Tipp

Tipperary hurling manager Eamon O'Shea has enlisted the services of Kieran McGeeney for 2014.
    The Irish Independent reports that the former Lilywhites boss has accepted an invitation from O'Shea to join his backroom team for next year.
    It is understood that McGeeney will work on the mental aspects of Tipp's preparations.
    A speech made by the 2002 All-Ireland football winning captain was used on a mental skills DVD distributed to the Tipp panel last year.
    'Geezer' - who was recently added to Paul Grimley's backroom team in his native Armagh - is set to combine both roles in the New Year but his main priority will be the Orchard County footballers.
    It is another coup for O'Shea who recently brought Olympic sprinter Gary Ryan on board as physical trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Not sure what kieren mcgeeney will add to the setup to help us win an all Ireland. I'd say something if he was working with our footballers, especially the younger ones but what does he provide that you we don't already have within the county.

I'm sure that the county board are under serious financial pressure given the large outlays of money in recent years, double jobbing and travelling down from Armagh, he must be getting handsomely paid. Surely this money could be put to better use.

A few games around Clonmel would have its uses. I like going to Thurles but the complete inaccessibility of the place by bus or train is head wrecking to say the least. Must learn to drive soon.

A few games around Clonmel would have its uses. I like going to Thurles but the complete inaccessibility of the place by bus or train is head wrecking to say the least. Must learn to drive soon.

The only public transport from Clonmel on a Sunday I can think of is a bus to Limerick Junction and train from there to Thurles. Very,very expensive. It should be put to politicians to lobby for a combo return fare at a reasonable price.

Xenophile wrote: »
    The only public transport from Clonmel on a Sunday I can think of is a bus to Limerick Junction and train from there to Thurles. Very,very expensive. It should be put to politicians to lobby for a combo return fare at a reasonable price.

True. Not to forget to mention that your paying extra for going northwest to then revert go east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Best of luck to Loughmore on Sunday. A big game for them vs Dr Crokes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Not sure what kieren mcgeeney will add to the setup to help us win an all Ireland. I'd say something if he was working with our footballers, especially the younger ones but what does he provide that you we don't already have within the county.

I'm sure that the county board are under serious financial pressure given the large outlays of money in recent years, double jobbing and travelling down from Armagh, he must be getting handsomely paid. Surely this money could be put to better use.

I agree with you.
    Tipp management and players need to get down to basics and do the business on the field.I don't think they need a mental guru to tell them that it is time to sh1t or get off the pot. The manager & selectors have to pick players that are in form, not players who once had form. The players also last year seemed to think that they were up there with the Kilkenny
    team! They were not. They also need to approach 2014 with the intention of winning every game, none of this 'its only the league' shyte. And if I hear O'Shea or anyone else mention 'wer'e in transition' I will puke.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Paddico wrote: »
    Best of luck to Loughmore on Sunday. A big game for them vs Dr Crokes

And to the other 2 Football teams playing on Sunday , Ballyporeen and Drom/Inch , would be great to see 1 of them win our first Munster Club Football title , reckon Drom have a great chance with the draw and a very physically strong team .

Advertisement