Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Bad result for the footballers should have beaten Carlow, our ladies temple up a point in semi final of the harty .....

A point from Colin O' Reardon has forced a replay. Thurles CBS knocked out yesterday iirc?

Very poor performance from Tipperary footballers today. I must give Credit where due to Carlow as they worked ferociously hard and when they had a man sent off they looked more like they had an extra man. Tipp's workrate was non existant. Free Carlow men everywhere with no one picking up anyone. Asleep on the wheel for the goal. Carlow had their homework done on us and kicked some lovely scores. The ref giving them soft frees didnt help either

They have it all to do now just as last year. I hope its a wake up call for them. Some of them undoubtedly starting to believe their own hype

Some sterling performances from the hurlers today. Christy Coughlan, Shane McGrath, Jason Forde and Bubbles were fantastic. Strong breeze in Dolla made it difficult. Onto the final we go. We have home advantage afaik as we played Clare in Clare last year so id imagine Nenagh will be used for the final

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Very poor performance from Tipperary footballers today. I must give Credit where due to Carlow as they worked ferociously hard and when they had a man sent off they looked more like they had an extra man. Tipp's workrate was non existant. Free Carlow men everywhere with no one picking up anyone. Asleep on the wheel for the goal. Carlow had their homework done on us and kicked some lovely scores. The ref giving them soft frees didnt help either

They have it all to do now just as last year. I hope its a wake up call for them. Some of them undoubtedly starting to believe their own hype

Very disappointing display . Should have been home and dry at half time . It was the same last week against Kerry when they gave a free away the Tipp lads lost concentration and they left options all over the place for Carlow instead of picking up their men . Hannigan is not good enough in midfield , too slow on the ball .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

South draws being made tomorrow night , anyone know when the North ones are happening ?

The draw for the North Senior Hurling Championship takes place this Thursday night in the Hibernian Bar Nenagh!

• Advertisement

Team to play Clare in The Waterford Crystal Final this Saturday night in Semple Stadium. 7:30pm.

Cummins,

O'Brien, Curran, D. Maher,
    McLoughney, Brendan Maher, Hennessy,

S. McGrath, N. McGrath,

Bonner Maher, Kelly, Forde,
    O'Meara, S. Bourke, Callanan.

I think it's a good team. Lots of attack as well as youth and experience mixed in. O' Shea going for the kill, a complete opposite to the LIT lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Cummins,

O'Brien, Curran, D. Maher,
    McLoughney, Brendan Maher, Hennessy,

S. McGrath, N. McGrath,

Bonner Maher, Kelly, Forde,
    O'Meara, S. Bourke, Callanan.

QUOTE]I think from midfield up all bar 2 are out of position. How can Bonner and BOM not be put in the centre,Eoin hasn't the height or legs for 11,Callanan stuck in a corner and Bourke @ full to be walked on. I doubt and hope any of them start in those places.
    I would prefer :

S Mc Grath/Callanan

NMc Grath/Bonner/Forde
    Kelly/BOM/Bourke

If using those players.

hawkwing wrote: »
    I think from midfield up all bar 2 are out of position. How can Bonner and BOM not be put in the centre,Eoin hasn't the height or legs for 11,Callanan stuck in a corner and Bourke @ full to be walked on. I doubt and hope any of them start in those places.
    I would prefer :

S Mc Grath/Callanan

NMc Grath/Bonner/Forde
    Kelly/BOM/Bourke

If using those players.

Id imagine they are going to be interchangeable Hawkwing. You could see Kelly going full, Bourke going corner, Buggy going centre, Bonnar switching to wing. Tbh, Kelly could be a dab hand at centre under the high ball too. If he can manage to win primary possession and lay it off to one or two it could be a masterstroke. Additionally he wouldnt have to place as much emphasis on running

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I think it's a good team. Lots of attack as well as youth and experience mixed in. O' Shea going for the kill, a complete opposite to the LIT lineup.

Was expecting something along these lines alright, O'Shea had requested this game to be played under lights as the opening league game in Cork is under lights so we can assume the starting team against Cork will be along these lines aswell.

Was expecting something along these lines alright, O'Shea had requested this game to be played under lights as the opening league game in Cork is under lights so we can assume the starting team against Cork will be along these lines aswell.

:D

Jaysus he is some thinking man all the same O'Shea. I doubt even Cody would have that angle covered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

South draws being made tomorrow night, anyone know when the North ones are happening ?
    Draw for the North Tipp hurling championship made tonight
    Top two in each group through to the quarter-finals.
    Third placed team in group three also go through to the quarter-finals while the third placed teams in group one and two play off for the final quarter-final spot.
    Possible dates for games: April 7th, April 14th, April 21st, April 24th, May 5th, May 12th, May 19th, May 26th, June 2nd, June 9th & June 16th.
    Group One: Toomevara v Roscrea, Burgess v Silvermines
    Group Two: Templederry v Lorrha, Borris-Ileigh v Borrisokane
    Group Three: Kilruane MacDonagh’s v Moneygall, Nenagh Éire Óg v Kildangan, bye Portroe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

For such a knowledgeable hurling man im surprised your taking that view. TBH i dont think Lar had any real control over this speculation or any other speculation that came his way since 2010. Its just idle gossip gone out of control. Granted following Tommy around done him no favours last August.

Yeah i agree i think O'Shea will probably have a challenge lined up for the following Sunday if we do lose. If we do, we do tbh. Wont kill me if we dont win the Waterford Crystal cup or the league or even Munster...there is only one cup worth bringing home and thats our friend Liam

I haven't been around too much with the last week or so so missed this. I think I've been misinterpreted. I'm one of Lars biggest defenders. In my eyes, he can do little to no wrong! A hero!

I read somewhere that initially Lar was asked did he win it and he didn't say he didn't win it which led to the speculation that he did. He said to call the bar for more information (and thus promoting the bar).

Poor Lar! Gone from hero to zero with the great Tipperary hurling public- must be the most unforgiving hurling supporters in the country! What exactly did he have to do with this Lotto story - nothing that I can see.
    It's just another example of the ridicule that is being heaped on Lar since the great farce of last August. I don't think any player in any other county would have been treated so badly by their own as Lar has been. Instead of circling the wagons and standing by our hurlers all we do is moan and heap vitriol on them - would this happen in KK, or Cork? I think not. There were fourteen other Tipp players in Croke Park that day, not to mention subs and selectors - yet Lar has had to carry the can for all of them.

What's wrong with appearing on the Late Late to promote your book, what's wrong with having a Twitter account - for Christ's sake this is the 21st century, social media is part of everyday life - why are these things ridiculed by GAA people? Are they not 'manly' enough?
    What will Lar have to do to satisfy Tipp hurling supporters - probably score another hat-trick of goals in an AI final.

Jaysus, relax.

Lar was at no fault for the disaster that happened last August. There's no point in saying there was 14 other men on the field either. The man who has to take the blame for ridiculous tactics like that is now out of the management job. At the end of the day, it was the managament's call to use those ridiculous tactics and to keep using them.

We asked Liam Griffin recently what he thought about the tactics and what he thought Tipp's chances for the year were.

Here's his answer:
    QUESTION: What are your thoughts on Tipperary's tactics last August vs Kilkenny? How do yourate Tipperary's chances of winning the All Ireland this year? If not Tipp,then who do you see winning?
    ANSWER: Strange to be honest. Tipp have an excellent chance provided they get their act together.Under Eamonn O Shea you would expect that they will not be found wanting.Galway have to be the other real live contenders. Last Year they had the benefit of playing in two All Ireland Finals. It should stand to them.

The rest of the interview can be seen here (the posters asked the questions): http://talkhurling.proboards.com/thread/109/interview-series-liam-griffin?page=3

South draws being made tomorrow night , anyone know when the North ones are happening ?

These were never made were they?

The Bord Na nOg draws/fixtures/gradings have been completed and sent to clubs alright but no adult fixtures have (as far as I know anyway).

Group 3 in The North is tasty!

I think the winner of the North Championship will come from Kildangan and Nenagh and if I'd to pick one, I'd say Nayna. They have serious potential there and loads of youth coming through and are going to make the breakthrough sooner rather than later.

Any word on the West?

The Mid isn't league format. It's winner go to a semi with losers playing off. Loughmore Sars being the pick of the draw (although who Sars won't put up too much of a fight I'd say with the AI club still on at the moment).

:D

Jaysus he is some thinking man all the same O'Shea. I doubt even Cody would have that angle covered.

If the Eoin Kelly experiment works out and Tipp win an AI with Kelly playing at 11 all year, O' Shea should be beatified.

Maybe Bonner will move into the center of the line, Kelly shifts forward and Shane Bourke moves back to 11? O' Shea is doing a ton of experimentation so far!

Maybe Bonner will move into the center of the line, Kelly shifts forward and Shane Bourke moves back to 11? O' Shea is doing a ton of experimentation so far!

Yeah id imagine we cant take the order of the lineout as it is. O'Shea likes to keep them guessing so id imagine there could be a few twists and turns here and there.

looder wrote: »
    These were never made were they?

The Bord Na nOg draws/fixtures/gradings have been completed and sent to clubs alright but no adult fixtures have (as far as I know anyway).

Group 3 in The North is tasty!

I think the winner of the North Championship will come from Kildangan and Nenagh and if I'd to pick one, I'd say Nayna. They have serious potential there and loads of youth coming through and are going to make the breakthrough sooner rather than later.

Any word on the West?

The Mid isn't league format. It's winner go to a semi with losers playing off. Loughmore Sars being the pick of the draw (although who Sars won't put up too much of a fight I'd say with the AI club still on at the moment).

Apologies , it was just the Under 21 Football , thought they were making all draws .
    The Under 21 Football draw was as follows :

Group 1

Anner Gaels
    Clonmel Commercials
    Moyle Rovers

Group 2

Ardfinnan
    Ballyporeen
    Kilsheelan/Kilcash

Top 2 into the Semis , first games on Sunday at 12.30 , Moyle Rovers v Anner Gaels in Ned Hall Park and Ballyporeen v Ardfinnan in Clogeen . 2 cracking games hopefully , should be some great action in the the other divisions this weekend , Loughmore v JK Brackens on Sunday in Templetuohy should be good entertainment .

Apologies , it was just the Under 21 Football , thought they were making all draws .
    The Under 21 Football draw was as follows :

Group 1

Anner Gaels

Clonmel Commercials
    Moyle Rovers

Group 2

Ardfinnan
    Ballyporeen
    Kilsheelan/Kilcash

Top 2 into the Semis , first games on Sunday at 12.30 , Moyle Rovers v Anner Gaels in Ned Hall Park and Ballyporeen v Ardfinnan in Clogeen . 2 cracking games hopefully , should be some great action in the the other divisions this weekend , Loughmore v JK Brackens on Sunday in Templetuohy should be good entertainment .

Im assuming Anner Gaels is down around Mullinahone, Cloneen, Drangan area? A Combo team of sorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

According to paper Sars game in Portlaoise is live on TG4 at 2pm.

Will be leaving here in Thurles shortly for Portlaoise, 'Go on the Sars'.

• Advertisement

NoDrama wrote: »
    Will be leaving here in Thurles shortly for Portlaoise, 'Go on the Sars'.

Best of luck to Larry, Padraic, Pa, Mickey, Redser and the rest of the Thurles Sars men today. Keep that blue and gold flying for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Yeah match on tg4, best of luck to tipp hurlers tonight, to SARS in the all Ireland club semi final championship, to our ladies templemore in the semi final harty cup And to cdi cahir school in the B vocational hurling munster final all on today, great day for tipp hurling......

Yeah match on tg4, best of luck to tipp hurlers tonight, to SARS in the all Ireland club semi final championship, to our ladies templemore in the semi final harty cup And to cdi cahir school in the B vocational hurling munster final all on today, great day for tipp hurling......

Especially great to see Cahir in the Munster final. Just goes to show that success we have experienced at Senior level since 08 is starting to inspire the county all over. Time for the men in charge to help all youngsters in all clubs out now. The boy from Ballyporeen should be given the same opportunities as the boy from Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Awful performance by Thurles Sarsfields today. Hurled off the pitch by Kilcormac. Over confidence certainly played a part in the defeat, but I think it is also fair to say that they just were not good enough. County players for Sarsfields never showed up. Well done to Kilcormac, but this result is a big wake up call for Tipperary followers. Eamon O'Shea has a very tough job on his hands, no doubt.

Im assuming Anner Gaels is down around Mullinahone, Cloneen, Drangan area? A Combo team of sorts?

Fethard and St Pats .

The SARS stars didn't turn up not getting away from kk they were much the hungrier in the second half, SARS had bad wides in the first half, well done to our ladies who won by 2pts today and into the final....and cdi cahir munster champs in hurling that's a first!!!!!

Fethard and St Pats .

Are both clubs merging? Fethard have had to merge with a few other clubs at underage recently. There must be a population shortage of a certain age group there.

Awful performance by Thurles Sarsfields today. Hurled off the pitch by Kilcormac. Over confidence certainly played a part in the defeat, but I think it is also fair to say that they just were not good enough. County players for Sarsfields never showed up. Well done to Kilcormac, but this result is a big wake up call for Tipperary followers. Eamon O'Shea has a very tough job on his hands, no doubt.

I think today highlighted the big problems in Tipperary hurling in that they are not used to playing at such a high intensity given the standard at club level and the other reason being that while we might have skilful hurlers, there is a few such as Pa Bourke or Lar that just dont fancy the physical side of it.

Kilcormac played with savage intensity today. They were well worth their win. It will be interesting to see how they get on in the wide space in Croker now

I dont think anyone is under any illusions about the job Eamon O'Shea faces but with Eamon i think its safe to assume that only the strongest will survive. If anyone can get the best out of us going forward its the Kilruane man. And we do have positives to consider along with the negatives. Jason Forde, Bubbles, Shane Bourke with the likes of John Mcgrath, Ronan Maher and Mark McCarthy in the pipeline.

The ingredients are there and we have the michelin star chef, just to ensure we can bake the cake now

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Sars had no answer to the Offaly men today - they may have had the stars and marquee names, but that was all they had. There was no pride, no plan, no graft, nothing. They just didn't seem to want it badly enough to drive themselves to the limit
    in order to get it.
    Kk wanted to win this game and were prepared to run through walls for it - Sars weren't. They really are summer hurlers, and in fairness to them, hurling is a summer game not meant to be played on winter pitches which makes the club competition a bit of an endurance test at this time of the year.
    A pity it wasn't to be for them - I would love to have seen players like Johnny Enright, Redser and Jim Corbett have a chance of winning an AI medal at club level at least.

• Advertisement

Bad weekend hurlers footballers and SARS all well beat!!!

Advertisement