Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

Utterly dismayed at what i witnessed in Semple stadium earlier. How the mighty have fallen. Eamon O'Shea gave us all hope by returning and promising us plenty of workrate but then i had to witness lads leaving markers free on the puckouts, Clare men free everywhere, being outworked and outfought....its demoralising. O'Shea needs time to get things right but some of these lads who wont pick up a loose man should be shown the door now. We just cant afford lodgers. Its no coincidence we are only winning 1 per decade for the last 5 decades...the attitude in the county IN BOTH CODES AND AT CLUB LEVEL just simply has to change. Its not good enough. Even Bonnar looks lacklustre

EDIT: Its fair to say Clare have a class team coming through and will challenge in the future. They deserve credit for their performance

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Bad weekend hurlers footballers and SARS all well beat!!!

Very true. As someone said to me last night. The footballers were bad, the hurlers were worse and Thurles Sarsfields were the worst of the three. Tough times ahead for both Eamonn O'Shea and Peter Creedon.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Utterly dismayed at what i witnessed in Semple stadium earlier. How the mighty have fallen. Eamon O'Shea gave us all hope by returning and promising us plenty of workrate but then i had to witness lads leaving markers free on the puckouts, Clare men free everywhere, being outworked and outfought....its demoralising. O'Shea needs time to get things right but some of these lads who wont pick up a loose man should be shown the door now. We just cant afford lodgers. Its no coincidence we are only winning 1 per decade for the last 5 decades...the attitude in the county IN BOTH CODES AND AT CLUB LEVEL just simply has to change. Its not good enough. Even Bonnar looks lacklustre

EDIT: Its fair to say Clare have a class team coming through and will challenge in the future. They deserve credit for their performance

yeah was to mad last night to write anything,agree with everything you say couldnt believe what i saw last night not one man could hold their head up after that performance absolute embarrasment.do the likes of john o neill,woodlock,hammersely,d maher,t stapelton play like superstars in training because i cant for the life of me see why there still in the set up or do we honestly have nothing coming through.i havnt felt that low since last years semi.i said with o shea on board id start the season with a new found optimism and thats been blown out of the water.limerick and clare have shown we lack serious pace in the back line.at one stage as tipp gunner said they took a puck out ref called it back and then the goalie just hit it out to the same player wtf?callanan was dancing aroud like a fairy all night and it pains me because ive always liked him hes an unbelievable hurler but when the going gets tough seamie gets going and its not just him.noel mcgrath is not,and never will b a midfielder and hes just got worse as the years have went on.was there any reason why bubbles didnt start or even come on.you give a mom performance and workrate against albeit a poor lit team and your reward is the bench?imo gleeson,paddy saint,o mahoney,p maher,b maher,m cahill,s mcgrath and pa bourke(only for his free taking ability)are worthy of pulling on the jersey rest are up for grabs.so were short one corner back,a midfielder and 5 front men oh happy times indeed for the coming season and thats just the starting 15 before we even get to the bench:(

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tonyduggan

its a waterford crystal game in february lads relax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I wouldn't worry too much about Saturday. It's all experimental at the moment.

If it happened in April, then I'd worry.

6 Games in South Tipp this weekend.

Here's the Results:
    South U21A Football Championship Group 2: Ballyporeen 0-04 Ardfinnan 1-13
    South U21A Football Championship: Moyle Rovers 5-13 Anner Gaels 0-06

South Tipp U21B Football Championship Group 1: Ballingarry 1-07 Grangemockler Davins 2-07
    South Tipp U21B Football Championship Group 1: Carrick Swan 7-15 Fr Sheehy's/Ballylooby 0-05

South Tipp U21B Football Championship Group 2: Clonmel Óg 2-10 Cahir 1-05;
    South Tipp U21B Football Championship Group 2: Killenaule 0-11 Mullinahone 0-09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I haven't seen the game, but it seems a slight knee-jerk reaction in here. I'm incredibly disappointed we don't turn out in the final though. We're surely better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

tonyduggan wrote: »

Agree with you. O'Shea is still looking at players. Don't think he was too bothered about this game. We won the shaggin thing last year for all the good it did! O'Shea said he would be taking the league seriously and wanted to win it. So, if things go badly from the end of the month when it starts then it'll be time to start worrying.

tonyduggan wrote: »

Manager comes in and states that workrate will be the mantra going forward but his players made him look foolish last night in front of their own fans, players i might add that are currently fighting to keep their intercounty careers. Some terrific hurlers in Kilkenny have been dropped on the Friday before the final on the basis of going bad in training. I believe Eamon O'Shea is the man for the job but he will need time to get the right blend. Id be very surprised if he gets it this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 2129ed

It was embarrassing to be in Portlaoise. The Offaly fans were laughing at the finish. A who's who of Tipperary hurling beating by a an average Offaly club side. Without even a decent inter county hurler Kilcormac burst the Thurles bubble. Lar Corbett should retire, he is a joke. A forward afraid to play inside for fear Jackie tyrell will be there. Pauric Meagher was a disgrace also, swanning around thules should be out for a few days now. Pa Bourke is another over rated hurler. As long as this shower are involved in Tipperary you can forget about All Irelands. The culture is very simple, win one ALL Ireland and live off for the rest of your career. They have no shame after the Kilkenny debacle last year. Corbett was actually worse here. These guys have dragged tipperary hurling to the depths, we are a laughing stock of every town and village in Ireland.

2129ed wrote: »
    It was embarrassing to be in Portlaoise. The Offaly fans were laughing at the finish. A who's who of Tipperary hurling beating by a an average Offaly club side. Without even a decent inter county hurler Kilcormac burst the Thurles bubble. Lar Corbett should retire, he is a joke. A forward afraid to play inside for fear Jackie tyrell will be there. Pauric Meagher was a disgrace also, swanning around thules should be out for a few days now. Pa Bourke is another over rated hurler. As long as this shower are involved in Tipperary you can forget about All Irelands. The culture is very simple, win one ALL Ireland and live off for the rest of your career. They have no shame after the Kilkenny debacle last year. Corbett was actually worse here. These guys have dragged tipperary hurling to the depths, we are a laughing stock of every town and village in Ireland.

Welcome to boards. Strong words...bit too strong perhaps.

What went on last year was unfortunate but it was down to naivety and nothing else. Im still grateful to Lar for all his done but himself and some of our forwards need to start standing up for themselves a bit more. We badly badly lack work rate and aggression and are far too loose across the field

I thought Padraic Maher had a good game. The midfield up let Sars down. With the exception of Denis Maher and perhaps Richie Ruth also, i thought they showed no fight or aggression. Pa Bourke missed a 21 at one stage and was so busy with his hands on his head in frustration that he didnt even anticipate the rebound. The Offaly player was a mere 2 yards away from him when he got his clearance in. Pa should have been ready to pounce. He is skilful but so is Bubbles Dwyer only Bubbles has aggression. Thats what we need.

Im as disgusted as anyone with our inability to fight for possession in the forwards. Its something we need to adapt to if we are to write the next chapter or otherwise it will be a repeat of the last 4 and a half decades. Im not saying to put filth into our game but a bit more cuteness in the high ball. Start pulling in the air more. Get in their faces. Rattle the opposition. Our backs depend on our forwards to work harder and because they arent we are put under savage pressure in the backs.

I think Kilcormac should be given more credit then due. They had some brilliant hurlers and worked their arses off. They should inspire us going forward. Offaly is also a very competitive championship with fierce local rivalries. They beat the team who beat Ballyhale and their fellow Offaly team Coolderry beat that very same team who beat James Stephens in 2011 if you remember. Offaly club hurling is and always was relatively strong.
    I think the club championship structure has been a big culprit in our failure to adapt to high intensity. We badly need to wittle it down and filter it all the way down to junior level. The 66 hurling clubs need to be divided into at least 5 if not 6 tiers. Pa Bourke scored a ridiculous tally v Loughmore this year in the mid final and we cant simply put that down to Pa being the 'Messi of hurling'. Loughmore would be one of our better teams....its a huge red flag tbh. Pa is very skilful but when he can run amok like that its down to lack of intensity and competiveness imho

• Advertisement

Some good stuff in there but, Thurles had All-Star hurlers in their back line. Hard to believe their attitude, This was their first ever All Ireland Club Semi. Kilcormac are at best average in Offaly. Not good enough, these guys are living on their reputation a long time now. If you gave Kilcormac the class of hurler Sars have, they would win it every year. Management is another issue, Gleeson was a joke with Tipperary. The new guys showed how limited they were on sunday. Thurles were ill-prepared for the Kilcormac onslaught. Again in Tipp we tend to overestimate our ability. Teams dont fear Tipp teams like they do Kilkenny. Kilcormac would have been murdered by Ballyhale. I Iive near Kilcormac, the word was nothing to fear, a crowd of shapers in the Thurles camp. They were sadly proved right. Tipperary hurling is in crisis. Lets be honest, our club championship hasent has a an All Ireland club finalist in years. We had a bunch of gifted hurlers who wont are living off a win over a depleted Kilkenny. Forthe talent at our disposal One All-Ireland every 10 years is a joke. Its looking like that trend is set to continue, sad as i am to say it.

Some good stuff in there but, Thurles had All-Star hurlers in their back line. Hard to believe their attitude, This was their first ever All Ireland Club Semi. Kilcormac are at best average in Offaly. Not good enough, these guys are living on their reputation a long time now. If you gave Kilcormac the class of hurler Sars have, they would win it every year. Management is another issue, Gleeson was a joke with Tipperary. The new guys showed how limited they were on sunday. Thurles were ill-prepared for the Kilcormac onslaught. Again in Tipp we tend to overestimate our ability. Teams dont fear Tipp teams like they do Kilkenny. Kilcormac would have been murdered by Ballyhale. I Iive near Kilcormac, the word was nothing to fear, a crowd of shapers in the Thurles camp. They were sadly proved right. Tipperary hurling is in crisis. Lets be honest, our club championship hasent has a an All Ireland club finalist in years. We had a bunch of gifted hurlers who wont are living off a win over a depleted Kilkenny. Forthe talent at our disposal One All-Ireland every 10 years is a joke. Its looking like that trend is set to continue, sad as i am to say it.

Ballyhale lost to Oulart who then lost to Kilcormac...the Offaly county champions and the Leinster Champions and now All Ireland finalists. You have to give them their credit. Your being a slight bit over the top with your statement of the Sars men. Yes it is frustrating and they did lack the fight but no one deliberately sets out to lose. They met a very hungry and passionate side and i genuinely thought Kilcormac werent just all muscle, they hurled exceptionally well. Easy hide behind a computer under a false name and slate Sars who were training all winter. They have won Munster dont forget. They beat a good De La Salle team, a good Kilmallock team and also a good Glanmire Sarsfields team. We are being unfair to Kilcormac. It wasnt upset of the year but it did highlight the areas where Tipp club hurling lacks big time.

Also it must be said that Silvermines who are at present the 32nd best team in Tipperary pushed the 13th best team in Kilkenny all the way a few weeks ago. Clara are also a team with County hurlers and alot of Senior club experience. There is postives to draw on. We need restructure in order to give our championships some bite.

Kilcormac took some beautiful scores. What they lacked in skill in comparison to Sars, they made up for in industry in spades. The one real stick in the craw is that our representatives at either club or intercounty level arent working as hard as the opposition. Until we learn that, we will remain in a slump. To be fair to Eamon O'Shea he has recognised the need for industry to improve but implementing it will be a whole other task.

There is good men on the Tipp panel that will be badly hurt by what has gone on since the AI final in 2011 rest assure. Lads ive grown up with who deserve to be winning alot more then what they have to date.

The likes of Eoin Kelly can walk away with his head held high. Its sad to see even after his greatest moment as a Tipp player that the team have returned to norm pre the Sheedy years. I was a big critic of last years management but now im starting to think that maybe they were hung out to try by players who would be given the chop in any other county. They just arent industrious enough for the cause and its too late to change them.

Agreed. I was just frustrated thats all. If Thurles brought their A game, no amount of Kilcormac courage would have prevailed. It was the classic town v country battle. The smaller parish and village teams seem to have a greater sense of unity, a band of brothers mentality. Kilcormac certainly wanted it more.the question is why? I suppose a lot of it is down to identity. The smaller places seem to eat sleep and breathe their club.
    I was in Thurles last week and it was hard to tell the locals were in an All Ireland Semi. Kilcormac was awash with the colors and was buzzing with excitement. Perhaps the apathy filtered into the players. They have some of Irelands finest hurlers, but wont go and support them. I think its a disgrace that the locals in Thurles wont turn out in force to support their team, any other place in Ireland would be delighted to have this class at their disposal.
    I know their are a lot of good people in the Sars club and their small fan base is dedicated, but surely they should have more bodies in the stands.
    Management is another issue. Like Tipperary last year, they have decent honest people at the helm. Problem is that dosent equate to success.
    Thurles need more forceful management style, a bit a fire and brimstone. Tipperary are the same. I am hopeful O'Shea will restore old values, but the Sars need someone to take them to the nest level. They also like Tipperary need to take a good hard look at themselves. The celebrity culture is fine, but you have to hold on to your reputation if you earn it. Their legacy of the players who stopped the drive for five will live on, sadly but it will be just a brief footnote in Tipp hurling history. One Swallow never made a summer lads, if you really want to be remembered, knuckle down before its to late. to borrow a phrase, time is ticking away for this particular tipperary team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

buggy beag wrote: »
    yeah was to mad last night to write anything,agree with everything you say couldnt believe what i saw last night not one man could hold their head up after that performance absolute embarrasment.do the likes of john o neill,woodlock,hammersely,d maher,t stapelton play like superstars in training because i cant for the life of me see why there still in the set up or do we honestly have nothing coming through.i havnt felt that low since last years semi.i said with o shea on board id start the season with a new found optimism and thats been blown out of the water.limerick and clare have shown we lack serious pace in the back line.at one stage as tipp gunner said they took a puck out ref called it back and then the goalie just hit it out to the same player wtf?callanan was dancing aroud like a fairy all night and it pains me because ive always liked him hes an unbelievable hurler but when the going gets tough seamie gets going and its not just him.noel mcgrath is not,and never will b a midfielder and hes just got worse as the years have went on.was there any reason why bubbles didnt start or even come on.you give a mom performance and workrate against albeit a poor lit team and your reward is the bench?imo gleeson,paddy saint,o mahoney,p maher,b maher,m cahill,s mcgrath and pa bourke(only for his free taking ability)are worthy of pulling on the jersey rest are up for grabs.so were short one corner back,a midfielder and 5 front men oh happy times indeed for the coming season and thats just the starting 15 before we even get to the bench:(

Lads come on relax will ye, Tipp trained for two hours Saturday evening in the Ragg, the game meant zero and Clare are further on in their training than any of the other counties at this stage.

Padraic Maher has been outstanding all year for Sars and is an excellent hurler and captain and i fully expect him to be named Tipp captain in the coming weeks, he's under par performance on Saturday was down to the fact he received an accidental blow to the chest early in the game and no he hasn't been swanning around Thurles he has infact been in hospital been checked out for a breating problem as a result.

Pa Bourke actually kept Thurles in that game on Saturday when they were been beaten everywhere.

As for you last line :D seriously you are either seriously paranoid or are after loosing your bolloc*s on Sars. Tipperary hurling is in one of its healthiest states in the history of the sport.

How can you say that Tipperary hurling is in one of its healthiest states in the history of the sport. One All Ireland every decade is an awful long way behind what was achieved by Tipp teams in the past. We have an awful long way to go to get back to where we should be. Over reaction to last Saturday night does not help, but neither does blind optimism based on very little evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Lads come on relax will ye, Tipp trained for two hours Saturday evening in the Ragg, the game meant zero and Clare are further on in their training than any of the other counties at this stage.
    I heard about the training session on Saturday aswel,was wondering if was it true,If they were training it would explain why the team were so lethargic for the game.

tippspur wrote: »
    I heard about the training session on Saturday aswel,was wondering if was it true,If they were training it would explain why the team were so lethargic for the game.

To be honest i wasnt aware they had trained or would so on the day of a match. It explains alot alright tbf.

PS made another comment that we are in healthy state and essentially he is right as we have alot of talented youth in the pipeline, but can we take the current crop to the next level is the big question? They just seem to lack that bit of bite and aggression and desire and thats on judging the last two championships after doing so well from 08-10. Can Eamon O'Shea get more from the well is the big question or will he have to cut a few of last decades successful minors loose?

I wouldnt consider Pa to have had a good game either on Saturday. From a loose ball there is no doubt he is a talented sticksman but he needs to start mixing it more. Im not saying he should sledge people but needs to stand up for himself that little bit extra.

It was so evident on Saturday that Kilcormac/Killoughy wanted the game more. I think that is the result of earning their crust after a long hard slog in Offaly and Leinster this year and thats exactly where Tipp clubs are lacking. When Toomevara were sailing against Ballyhale some years ago, Toom hadnt the experience of coping with a resurgence in their opponents, but Ballyhale had experience in the crunch games from more instense action over the border in Kilkenny. Half the battle of getting our county team ready is in improving the club scene.

How can you say that Tipperary hurling is in one of its healthiest states in the history of the sport. One All Ireland every decade is an awful long way behind what was achieved by Tipp teams in the past. We have an awful long way to go to get back to where we should be. Over reaction to last Saturday night does not help, but neither does blind optimism based on very little evidence.

Minor, U21, senior, Intermediate and also the respective club sides have all achieved alot of sucess in the last three years, schools hurling has never been healthier aswell. One Sunday in August does not extinguish all that sucess/momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Batman101

Reading some of your posts actually made my blood boil. You clearly have a dislike for Thurles and your probably delighted to get a cut at some of these lads. Kick them while their down.

First of all to claim Kilcormac are an average Offaly club side is an understatement. You don't get handed a Leinster Title if you are average. Some people don't realise that the club scene in Tipperary is not that strong at all. Just because you have a good senior team it doesn't mean that the club hurling is strong. For example, Offaly have had 6 teams feature in All-Ireland Club finals over the last 20 years where Tipp have had none.

To say Padraic Maher was a disgrace is very very harsh. Yes he did have a poor game by his high standards but if you seen any of the other Thurles games this year he had been phenomenal. He probably gave the best club display I have ever seen below in Kilmallock. When Thurles were under pressure a number of times this year he was the one to drag them through.

Also how many times have you seen Pa Bourke play for Thurles this year? If you had any cop on you would know that Padraic and himself were Sars two best players since the start of the Championship.

To say that as long as "this shower are involved with Tippeary you wont win All-Irelands" makes me laugh. Do you think Padraic Maher would not benefit the Tipperary team? He did after all captain the Tipperary U21's to All-Ireland glory and has two All-Stars.
    Pa Bourke was one of Tipp's best forwards last year but that was over shadowed by what happened in Croke Park against Kilkenny. Many had him tipped to get an All-Star before that display. Do you think he is not good enough to be on the Tipperary panel?
    Lar Corbett, former Hurler of the Year who brought many people in Tipperary the greatest day in their life in 2012 is joke? I agree he hasn't reached the heights of 2010 but I feel he has been playing in a different role for the last while. Lar is someone who has be known for his deadly finishing and excellent point taken but lately he has been playing further out the field and has become more of a play maker. If Eamonn O Shea can get him back into his natural position and get him back firing to the heights of 2010, he will be a serious asset to the Tipperary team.

To say these lads have dragged Tipperary Hurling to the depths is outrageous. Do you not remember they are Munster Club Champions? Is that not seeing as some sort of achievement? Tipperary people have small minds and are a very quick to turn on there own. I've no doubt that these lads will be back, no matter how hard you try to write them off!

• Advertisement

This is Tiperary hurling man. One All ireland every ten years. Ask yourself why. The talent is there. The players are not interested in winning titles. They are mostly on an ego trip. there is no other explaination, unless you think its down to bad luck . They dont work hard enough, they are not commited enough, one all ireland every ten years proves that.

This is Tiperary hurling man. One All ireland every ten years. Ask yourself why. The talent is there. The players are not interested in winning titles. They are mostly on an ego trip. there is no other explaination, unless you think its down to bad luck . They dont work hard enough, they are not commited enough, one all ireland every ten years proves that.

Do you not understand the commitment these players give and the sacrifices they make to hurl for Tipp. Take Bonner Maher for example: Tipp train 2 nights a week at the moment if not more at 7:30 in Thurles, it prob takes him an hour to drive to Thurles, he finishes training and has food we say about 9:45 and drives back to Lorrha. He arrives home about 11! That is just one player there are 30 others if not more making the same sacrifices and giving up there own time to hurl for Tipp.

I am a Tipp man myself but honestly I do not think the talent is what people make it out to be. Yes we have a number of fine young hurlers but also a number of average hurlers. I don't think this is down to an ego trip I think its because we aren't that good. I really hope I eat my words and that these lads prove me wrong!

We had a couple of poor teams in the mid 00's and we were unable to deal with the likes of Cork or Kilkenny. We have been a dominant force in Munster for the past number of years but Kilkenny always seem to pick our pocket when we go to Croke Park. Ask yourself this..how many Tipp players would make the Kilkenny team!?

I have to say beating rathdowney/errill and oulart from wexford is hardly earth shattering. Pa Bourke has never delivered on the big stage. Why was he a sub for the last few years. Erratic would be a good term to describe him. you are not exactly paying thurles a ringing endorsement singing the praises of Kilcormac.
    Honest and hard working, but top class? Not in the same league as Portumna or Ballhale man. When you consider the 15 v 15 it was a no contest. All-stars against also rans. the main problem with Tipp hurling has never changed. Countrywide they are renowned for, using Micheal Duignan's words, being Flaky.
    You never know what Tipp club side or inter county is going to show up. They are the enigma of modern GAA. Loads of talent, and very brittle mentally.sadly that is a reality. The hope is O'Shea can instill a Sheedy like spirit before the rot which has already set in, spreads.

You almost make out as if we have had the same team since hurling began. Ego trip is a simple lazy explanation. There is always push and pull factors. Id agree that maybe we are lacking the aggression to go the extra mile but i dont think there is anything wrong with commitment. Our commitment is as good as any of the other counties only Kilkenny's is off the scale. Though that said perhaps each and every one of their personal circumstances help them more then ours help us.

I wouldnt get half as frustrated only i know this team is capable of reaching the pinnacle again.
    I have to say beating rathdowney/errill and oulart from wexford is hardly earth shattering. Pa Bourke has never delivered on the big stage. Why was he a sub for the last few years. Erratic would be a good term to describe him. you are not exactly paying thurles a ringing endorsement singing the praises of Kilcormac.
    Honest and hard working, but top class? Not in the same league as Portumna or Ballhale man. When you consider the 15 v 15 it was a no contest. All-stars against also rans. the main problem with Tipp hurling has never changed. Countrywide they are renowned for, using Micheal Duignan's words, being Flaky.
    You never know what Tipp club side or inter county is going to show up. They are the enigma of modern GAA. Loads of talent, and very brittle mentally.sadly that is a reality. The hope is O'Shea can instill a Sheedy like spirit before the rot which has already set in, spreads.

Firstly i think we have the best man in the county at the helm. He was the real jewel in the crown back in 2010 only Sheedy was credited as the manager for media interviews etc.

That all said, if Sheedy returned at some stage when we need someone like him, i would only be delighted to welcome him back. A fierce hurling man.

Getting things into perspective we are no 'flakier' then Galway, Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Clare, Dublin, Offaly, Wexford, etc. The difference is we (and probably Galway) have the talent to dethrone Kilkenny only we need to find that extra 10% to at least be competitive from the first whistle to the last. I cant quite put my finger on what exactly the Tipp that turned up in 2011 or the team who suffered a 17 point swing v Kilkenny last year really lacked. Easy to blame tactics but i thought there was a lethargy there. Im interested to see how we will go in the league and championship this year.

Thanks for answering all my questions!?

Honest and hard working, but top class? Not in the same league as Portumna or Ballhale man.

Neither Portumna or Balyhale got to this stage of the all ireland championship. The teams that are there are there on merit.

Yes but they are hardly vintage teams. Neither were coolderry or the antrim crowd last year. I think whats really frustrating is the opportunity lost. When we beat Kilkenny all the factors were in place to dominate for a few years. I agree that Ryan and Dunne were not all to blame. Reading Lars book it alluded to a speech that Ryan made that made the hairs stand on his neck. Also when he got to know Tommy Dunne, he accepted that his passion for Tipp was awesome.
    The killer thing is Sars had some chance to win an elusive club title. If they had they could have gone on to dominate for many years. the players are there, they have a conveyor belt of talent. We are losing sight of the fact that opportunity has knocked for greatness at club and inter-county level. It is rare in sport that you can write a bit of real history. Tipp and Sars are birds of a feather. Talented, wonderful to watch, but ultimately they never realize their true potential. as a supporter, you just have to vent your frustration at watching it going down the pan. I apologize if I offended anybody including players and management. Its a tough gig being a Tipp fan, jesus I wish I could come on, and write a fecken eulogy to our greatness!

I wish these ex players would stop having a go in the media. Great time for Jimmy Doyle but there is just no need for him to go down the Babs route. He makes a few good points about the ball doing the work but the singling out of Lar is getting a bit much. At this stage Lar will be getting the blame for the horse meat scandal and the economic collapse

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tipperary/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=185590
    Tipperary hurling legend Jimmy Doyle fears that Lar Corbett hasn't learnt his lesson from his 'ridiculous' display in last year's All-Ireland SFC semi-final defeat to Kilkenny.

The six-time All-Ireland winner, a Thurles Sarsfields clubmate of Corbett, was embarrassed by the tactic of Lar following Tommy Walsh and says he saw more of the same in last Sunday's All-Ireland Club SHC semi-final defeat to Kilcormac-Killoughey.

"I think it was ridiculous," Doyle said to The Irish Examiner referring back to the Kilkenny game. "We're forwards, we never follow a back - a back follows you. I couldn't understand what Lar was at.

"He was there again last Saturday running around the field with no ball. I don't know what's going on, I can't understand his behaviour or what he's doing. He'd want to cop himself on.

"You run after the ball, you go for the ball, you get the ball and you use it. I think myself they're taking too much out of the ball. Let the ball do the work. They're killing themselves for nothing.

"You get rid of your ball, throw it in the right places at the right time and throw it out into the open spaces and go after it."

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Killarney49

Good articly from Jimmy Doyle in today's Examiner. He speaks a lot a truth in it.

• Advertisement

I would say that Jimmy Doyle is 100% correct in what he says in the paper today.

Advertisement