Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

This is floating around Facebook after the announcement. Fantastic score! Great catch, run, and accuracy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 2129ed

They are a different breed. Hunger on tap. The manager sets the tone as he is a bully. They say all the right things, but underneath they are the most cold ruthless machine in sport.
    They were irked by Tipperary celebrations after the final in 2010. Felt we went overboard. They forget how long we waited for that. They also tend to forget they are not slow to go wild after the annual final whistle in September.
    Brian cody nearly jumped the fence he was so elated in 2009, when that Offaly bastard robbed us of a certain title.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

This is floating around Facebook after the announcement. Fantastic score! Great catch, run, and accuracy!

cracking point is right.thats the captain we will hopfully see this year and hes made a good start in imo.was just looking at seamie callanans goals there in one of the links man wouldnt we just love to see that player again.potential to be the new lar corbett and a goal scoring machine dont know where it all went wrong pray to god he comes back soon haha:p and some of the link play in the build up to the goals tipperary hurling at its finest will we ever see them days again:p

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Great win for Our Lady's, Templemore in the Munster Colleges Senior "B" Football Final in Cashel yesterday. They beat Abbey CBS, Tipperary by 2-16 to 1-9 in an all Tipperary final. John McGrath was the best player on the field, with Colin O'Riordan top class as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Delighted for our ladies hopefully they can do the double next weekend, would be great for a school with a small of players not like dungarvan collages were they have a couple of hundred lads to pick from. On a another note I here the minor team has been finalised, anyone know who made it? 2 from the swan and 1 from moyle men .... Is Colin riordan on it or is he just sticking to the football?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Delighted to see Shane McGrath made captain. I remember some here were calling for him to be dropped last year :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Start of the Adult County Football League today , some very competitive games by the looks of things . Wins For Cahir , Kilsheelan/Kilcash , Eire Og Annacarthy and Arravale , all winning by 2 points . Aherlow had 10 points to spare against JK Brackens .

Delighted to see Shane McGrath made captain. I remember some here were calling for him to be dropped last year :rolleyes:

He wasnt great last year tbh but then again he wasnt alone. Mcgrath probably needs a brute beside him in the middle of the park. A brute with a bit of speed but unfortunately there is only one Michael Fennelly knocking about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

What Premierstone doesnt know about the game or what goes on around the game could be written on a postage stamp with a yard brush.

Thanks for the compliment Gunner but really all we are doing here is ofering opinions, there is no wrong or right, I understand 2129ed's frustrations.

We just don't agree how best to address them I guess.

Anyways onwards and upwards, slightly suprised by Shane McGraths selection as captain personally as I wouldn't have thought he was an absolute guaranteed starter, which of course should be a prerequisite for any captain. But that said I would be very happy with the choice on a 'character' basis, Shane is a seriously passionate man when it comes to the blue and gold and I think he will be an inspiration to he's colleagues, also a serious achievement for the Ballinahinch club to have the captain of the Tipp team.

Lousy choice. Mister hit and miss. Lost the run of himself since a great year in 2010. The Thurles captain is a better choice, and far more likely to inspire lads to hurl. McGrath may not even make the team, whats the point of selecting someone who at best, is a gamble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

2129ed wrote: »
    Lousy choice. Mister hit and miss. Lost the run of himself since a great year in 2010. The Thurles captain is a better choice, and far more likely to inspire lads to hurl. McGrath may not even make the team, whats the point of selecting someone who at best, is a gamble?

A captain is a leader i.e. somebody who leads by example on and OFF the field. With the carry on in Nenagh after last years semi, a few people could have been ruled out as captain for 2013 especially since Eamon O' Shea is adamant about instilling discipline into the panel.

This would mean that the Thurles man isn't the right choice at the moment. *

*Paudie will captain Tipp one day I'm sure but he's not the right man at the moment. Have faith in O' Shea!

Anybody hear the draws for the County hurling league?

Carrick Swan drew Drom/Inch. That's all I've heard so far.

Portroe v K'villa/D Kickhams
    Cashel KC v Holycross Ballycahill
    Kilruane v Thurles Sars
    Templederry v silvermines
    Burgess v Moycarkey/Borris
    Toome v Lorrha
    U'church/Drombane v Nenagh Eire Og
    Borrisokane v Killenaule
    Moneygall v Clonoulty/R'more
    Roscrea v Loughmore
    Drom / Inch v Carrick Swan
    Boherlahan/Dualla v Cappawhite
    Golden Kilfeacle v JK Brackens
    EireOg/Annacarty v Ballingarry
    Kildangan v Mullinahone
    Carrick Davins v Borrisileigh

Games to take place on Sun March 3rd

Were the county board aware that you were available for the top job?? You seem to know far more than Eamon O'Shea.

Btw have you had a change of heart on Paraic Maher? Only a week ago you described him as a disgrace and suggested he was happier swanning around rather than hurling, now you have suggested he is an inspiration and should have been made captain??

You don't have to give out about everything you know!

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

County Senior Football Championship 2013

Group 1
    Clonmel Commercials v Galtee Rovers
    Éire Óg Annacarty v Cahir
    Clonmel Óg

Group 2
    Killenaule v Moyne Templetuohy
    Arravale Rovers v Fr John Kenyons
    Aherlow Gaels

Group 3
    Loughmore Castleiney v Moycarkey Borris
    J K Brackens v Kilsheelan Kilcash
    Mullinahone

Group 4
    Thomas MacDonaghs v Fethard
    Moyle Rovers v Ardfinnan

If you took time to read properly, I said he was poor in the game. That does not make him a bad hurler. He has been great for Tipp over the last few years.
    Perhaps you think you should choose your captain based on the fact, it might kick start his career again, I dont.
    Your captain should be your best and most consistent player, perhaps you think
    McGrath is.
    Has along with Noel McGrath developed the tendency to ghost in and out of games, just what the doctor ordered for an inconsistent team.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

If you took time to read properly, I said he was poor in the game. That does not make him a bad hurler. He has been great for Tipp over the last few years.
    Perhaps you think you should choose your captain based on the fact, it might kick start his career again, I dont.
    Your captain should be your best and most consistent player, perhaps you think
    McGrath is.
    Has along with Noel McGrath developed the tendency to ghost in and out of games, just what the doctor ordered for an inconsistent team.

You have to acknowledge the fact though that just because a fella is a great player it does not make him a great captain.

I think most great players are consistent, which makes them excellent choices for captaincy. They are a rock the team is built upon, when you need leadership, they will provide it. Great is an over used term, most great players make great captains because they display leadership when it needed, by performing on the pitch. Its no good being a shining light on the streets of Nenagh. If they perform on the pitch for Tipperary, most supporters couldent care less after that.McGrath to me while a nice bloke, is struggling to regain any sort of form.
    Strange choice as i said before.
    The Thurles captain is respected by all counties, love him or hate him. As i said earlier has been brilliant for Tipperary.

I think most great players are consistent, which makes them excellent choices for captaincy. They are a rock the team is built upon, when you need leadership, they will provide it. Great is an over used term, most great players make great captains because they display leadership when it needed, by performing on the pitch. Its no good being a shining light on the streets of Nenagh. If they perform on the pitch for Tipperary, most supporters couldent care less after that.McGrath to me while a nice bloke, is struggling to regain any sort of form.
    Strange choice as i said before.
    The Thurles captain is respected by all counties, love him or hate him. As i said earlier has been brilliant for Tipperary.

It's no good being a wanker on the streets of Nenagh either*

*Not aimed at any one player (to keep it non-libellous) and a pun may well have been intended in the making of this post. :)

Pauric Meagher was a disgrace also, swanning around thules should be out for a few days now.

So what exactly did you mean by the quip that he would be ''swanning around'' Thurles?? Certainly reads to me that you were questioning the mans attitude and modesty, but now you fell he is ideal captain material, I really thought you set higher standards than that tbh ;)

Ps for what its worth I agree that Paraic will make a great captain of Tipp and have very little doubt he will get the opportunity in the near future, as an aside one doesn't need the captaincy to be a leader and the actual position is pretty irrelevant, bith of extra media work etc. and very nice as a recognition to you and your club but in the bigger scheme of things irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Any word on the team for Sunday? Will Paudie start at c/b with Brendan Maher and Seamus Hennessy on the flanks - and where has Conor O'Mahony disappeared to? Did he play in one of the Crystal Cup games?
    Can't make it to Pairc ui Rinn so hoping TG4 will televise it as it's the first League game of 2013 - isn't it?

• Advertisement

Can't make it to Pairc ui Rinn so hoping TG4 will televise it as it's the first League game of 2013 - isn't it?

From TV Guide on TV3 for TG4
    GAA Beo
    Time: 1:30pm Duration: 3 hours 45 minutes

Live coverage of Galway v Kilkenny, deferred coverage of Clare v Waterford and highlights of Cork v Tipperary and Dublin v Offaly in the first round of the Hurling League.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Any word on the team for Sunday? Will Paudie start at c/b with Brendan Maher and Seamus Hennessy on the flanks - and where has Conor O'Mahony disappeared to? Did he play in one of the Crystal Cup games?

Good point on O' Mahony. Maybe they're resting him? I hope he doesn't have a hangover of that injury.

Setanta (Sports or Ireland, not sure, one that costs money :P) are showing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Paudie Maher and the Thurles players not being considered for this weekend.

COM is nursing a back injury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Yes you never hear any dissent from the land of milk and honey. Eddie Keher was quoted as saying he never saw this magnificent Kilkenny team pull a dirty stroke. Love is truly blind Eddie !

To be fair he was only backing up his own. He wouldn't be the first to that.
    Still I reckon if they went without an All Ireland for 10 years, the tune might change.

We did.
    We went 9 years without an AI after 83, won 2 on the spin, and then immediately afterwards dropped to being the the third best team in Leinster.
    So, instead of complaining and pointing the finger as we usually did before, we had a hard look at ourselves. And we changed our tune completely.
    And in doing so we put in structures that ensured we wouldn't have that happen to us again.
    I think a lot of the stuff coming out is pure frustration. It seemed we had turned the corner and left inconsistency behind us. Yet we remain dogged by the inability to turn talent into a winning combination on a consistent basis.

I think as well Tipp lost the run of themselves a bit after 2010. Between beating Kilkenny with an awesome performance, and making up for the year before while stopping their 5 in a row, and then a week later their U21's waltzing to an AI in Thurles put the county on a huge, almost impossible, high.

Unfortunately, the only way from that place was down. It put an unrealistic expectation around Tipp hurling, an expectation that Tipp haven't been able to live up to, because simply, they haven't been as good as they collectively thought they were going to be.
    We seem to take one step forward as in 2010 and two steps backwards.

True to an extent. As I said above, I think Tipp overestimated how good they were after 2010, and didn't live up to their own expectation.

I think mostly though the loss of form of some key players in key positions, as well as the decline of the older players and natural leaders like Kelly, Corbett and Curran in the last two years, has seriously hampered their expected progress in the last two years. And I dont think Tipp were as hungry for the AI as they should have been either.

But the core is still there to turn things around. They'll need to up it big time mentally though, that for me is their failing at the moment, they clearly dont lack the skill or the panel. Its the attitude they lack. Truth be told, they surrendered the year mentally to Kilkenny on the first day of the league last year when they should have made a statement but didn't want to know, and in the league and AI SF's they completely gave up when Cork and Kilkenny started to put them under pressure. That's a mental thing, and its something they'll have to get over.

Remember the beating they got off of Kilkenny in 03? It took Tipp 5 years to recover from that. And if they don't have their heads right it could happen again, which would be sad as hurling doesn't need the same thing to happen again, it needs as many teams as possible with the capability of winning the AI.

Ultimately it'll be down to whether the Tipp players want the AI enough. If they don't recover the post-Cork 2010 attitude, it wont be coming any time soon. If they do, then you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Today all referees around the county received post. Contained in it is one single measly match report form and five Applications for Special County Board Match Pass.

The passes cost the referee €25 each. Presuming one for themselves and four for their umpires. So the referee is supposed to pay €125 for a pass for the year (the pass including county finals).

In my opinion this is disgraceful to ask voluntary workers to pay for their passes. This should be a benefit especially for umpires who stand out in all kinds of weather taking abuse from all sides. These passes should be free to them.

This will see a lot of referees giving up and even more umpires packing it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Today all referees around the county received post. Contained in it is one single measly match report form and five Applications for Special County Board Match Pass.

The passes cost the referee €25 each. Presuming one for themselves and four for their umpires. So the referee is supposed to pay €125 for a pass for the year (the pass including county finals).

In my opinion this is disgraceful to ask voluntary workers to pay for their passes. This should be a benefit especially for umpires who stand out in all kinds of weather taking abuse from all sides. These passes should be free to them.

This will see a lot of referees giving up and even more umpires packing it in.

Well u don't have to take them if you don't want them. Every person who was previously entitled to a pass now has to pay of they wish to continue with it. There are over 700 passes handed out each year so it had become a bit much. Eur25 is great value for those that will use it

Personally i don't mind paying it nd think it's one of their better cost saving ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

Sorry for going off on a different note but anyone see the new premierview site? Jays I think it’s absolutely terrible altogether, can’t take to it at all.

On the Shane Mc captaincy, he wouldn’t have been my choice as it will be touch and go on past form if he will make the 1st fifteen or not but I’ve no doubt he’ll burst his hole to get the form back that made him such an inspirational player for us in 2010. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

deejer wrote: »
    Well u don't have to take them if you don't want them. Every person who was previously entitled to a pass now has to pay of they wish to continue with it. There are over 700 passes handed out each year so it had become a bit much. Eur25 is great value for those that will use it

Personally i don't mind paying it nd think it's one of their better cost saving ideas.

I've no choice really. If I don't i'll have no umpires. Nobody wants to pay to do voluntary work. I'll be the bad person here not able to find a team of umpires some Sunday morning when they are all in bed with no incentive to go out and umpire.

I hate to agree with Radd1 but, your right. They did lose the run of themselves.
    If they had to knuckle down and maintain a decent attiude, who knows?
    In Kilkenny they did what Stewart Lancaster has done with the English rugby team. They changed the culture within the squad.
    This Tipperary team has to many jack the lads. Noel McGrath, Seamus Callanan, and Brenden Maher are a few.
    To allude to an earlier post, Pairic Maher does his stuff on the pitch. Swanning around Thurles alludes to the fact, that like so many of the current squad, humility is sadly lacking.
    I think like most of this current squad, he has a lot to learn about conducting himself properly in the public eye.
    We are a lot like the Dublin football team, win an All-Ireland every decade, and live on it.
    Winning a few All-Irelands in Kilkenny dosent mean much.
    They are always looking to the next one. Its sad that a once great county, is satisfied to live of scraps from the top table.
    I know Radd1 is 100 percent right. From the outside people look at Tipperary in a cold light of reality.
    A talented bunch of players, going no where fast. When you think you know it all, as The Tipp boys do, you will never learn anything.

• Advertisement

Tipperary Senior Hurling Team to play Cork this Saturday night in the opening round of Allianz National Hurling League in Pairc Ui Rinn @ 7pm:
    Brendan Cummins,

Paddy Stapleton, Paul Curran, Conor O'Brien,

Donagh Maher, Paudie Maher, Brendan Maher,

Shane McGrath (Captain), Johnny 'Springer' Ryan,

Seamie Callanan, Noel McGrath, Bonner Maher,

Shane Bourke, Buggy O'Meara, Bubbles O'Dwyer

Advertisement