Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential Chrome extensions?

Options
  • 30-12-2012 3:21pm

Couldn't find any posts on this so I said I'd start one. Currently I have:

Adblock Plus: blocks ads (obviously)
    Argos Stockchecker: Turns product codes on the Argos website into links.
    Checker Plus for Gmail: Best feature is a pop up window of a new email's text.
    Checker Plus for Google Calendar: Access calendar from toolbar
    Chrome Currency Converter: Automatically works on most websites
    Gmelius: Basically customise Gmail to your heart's content.
    Page Monitor: Like Check4Change on FF it reports website changes
    Poper Blocker: Blocks invasive popups on some of those naughty torrent sites.
    RSS Feed Reader: Best RSS reader ever!
    The Camelizer: Shows price history on the best shopping site, Amazon.
    LastPass: Password manager par excellance!

Any more?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Here's what I use:

Sexy History Viewer Lite: One click access to your last 20 pages visited.
    Sexy undo closed tabs: Same as above for closed tabs.
    PicMonkey: Photo Editing for images on the page you are viewing. Very handy. AwesomeScreenshot is good too.
    Chrome to Phone: Send the current page to your mobile in an instant.
    Pocket: Save to www.pocket.com - formerly known as ReadItLater. Really handy.
    Google Maps the Instant Way: Popup Google Maps thats faster than the web version
    Better Google Tasks: Quick access to Google Tasks
    Lastpass: Already mentioned, but this is the best extension ever, everyone should have it..

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

All mine are security related

Ghostery - stops sites tracking you
    Kill Evil - got this to stop sites loading clicked links in a new tab, was driving me insane
    NoRef - suppresses referrer links for hyperlinks
    Page eraser - lets you erase stuff from websites. AdBlock Plus lets you do this too I think. Removes a lot of useless junk, love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Adblock
    Adblock Plus
    Lastpass: can't live without it
    Xmarks: bookmark sync, I'm still using this as it synced with Dolphin HD on Android long before Chrome on Android added it as a feature
    Sabconnect: integrates with Sabnzbd and sends downloads to my Sabnzbd with one click
    Sickbeard connect: integrates with SickBeard
    Couchpotato Userscript: one click sends Movies from IMDB straight to my CouchPotato
    Tube to Tv: Sends videos from Youtube to play on XBMC
    Chrome to phone: send links straight to my phone

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Don't use Chrome but on Firefox see attached screenshot, some addons are also on Chrome

Nick

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Forgot to add "Mouse Gestures" - I only use it for one though, click and drag left to go back a page. Really handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Prefer Chromium to Google's Chrome. But only use a few which were already mentioned: LastPass and Adblock Plus. Also use youtube downloader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Hoverzoom is handy for the likes of Reddit and YLYL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Amazon Prices for Ireland: sShow prices on amazon.co.uk in euros with the Irish VAT rate applied
    Invisible Hand: Automatically get the lowest price on whatever you’re buying
    Steam price comparison: shows the different regions prices for the same steam game
    Hover Zoom: Enlarge thumbnails or picture links on mouse over. Works on many sites (Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Reddit, Amazon, Tumblr, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Couchpotato Userscript: one click sends Movies from IMDB straight to my
    Hows that work?

Hows that work?

You need to have CouchPotato setup and running, the script is installable in Chrome from the settings. I'm not telling you how to setup CouchPotato, Google it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

You need to have CouchPotato setup and running, the script is installable in Chrome from the settings. I'm not telling you how to setup CouchPotato, Google it
    Ah right, I was thinking something else.

Thanks for the hoverzoom recommendation, it's really handy!

The only other I like is Gestures for Chrome - I like it for click and drag backwards to go back a page.

Anyone got any other good ones to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Adblock - have it set up to stop Youtube ads.
    Ghostery - love this so much.
    Feedly - a RSS reader that takes your Google Reader and makes it look nice.
    RSS Subscription Extension (by Google) - if there is a RSS feed on the page, you can two click subscribe.
    X-Notifer - great email and forum PM checker.
    Tampermonkey - Greasemonkey for Chrome has a nice interface.
    WOT - Web of trust displays an indicator if a link on the page is of poor quality (privacy & spam)
    HTTPS Everywhere
    F.B. Purity - Cleans Up Facebook - filters Facebook news feed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Ah right, I was thinking something else.

I thought couch potato was dodgy malware. Remember having terrible trouble removing it. I recommend googling it before anyone installs it. Then again I could Be wrong.

ezra_pound wrote: »

I thought couch potato was dodgy malware. Remember having terrible trouble removing it. I recommend googling it before anyone installs it. Then again I could Be wrong.

Yes, you are completely wrong.
    https://couchpota.to/

And there shouldn't be any trouble removing it, it's not an installable extension, it's a script, it also runs in greasemonkey on Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Yes, you are completely wrong.
    https://couchpota.to/

And there shouldn't be any trouble removing it, it's not an installable extension, it's a script, it also runs in greasemonkey on Firefox.

Yep. I mixed it up with click potato. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mostly work related, but other than that Adblock and AnyDo.

Advertisement