Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Graphic of a % for genre/platform

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

ahhhhh... Its only the amount of games being released, not the actual player base.

I always laugh when people whinge that all developers release these days are shooters....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't know what they are trying to show there because it gives me absolutely no information on what it's meant to represent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Arcade is a genre?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't know what they are trying to show there because it gives me absolutely no information on what it's meant to represent.

Its just the number of games released on the different platforms each year and of a what genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Magill wrote: »
    Its just the number of games released on the different platforms each year and of a what genre.

I think you're right, it's hard given the graph. He should have provided one of the data too maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

What in the name of Jesus is that?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I think you're right, it's hard given the graph. He should have provided one of the data too maybe.

yeah the guy said so himself in the reddit page you posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The 0 to 100 percent on the vertical axis is misleading. Vertical position is not all that relevant as far as I can tell.

The way to read the graph is to take any particular vertical line (representing a year) and just look at the width of each colour bar in relation to others. Ignore how far up the vertical axis any particular colour is.

Zombrex wrote: »
    The 0 to 100 percent on the vertical axis is misleading. Vertical position is not all that relevant as far as I can tell.

The way to read the graph is to take any particular vertical line (representing a year) and just look at the width of each colour bar in relation to others. Ignore how far up the vertical axis any particular colour is.

So only in 1976 were all games classified under a genre. In every other year some genre-less games were released. I'd love to play some of those.

This graph is stupid. If my statistics lecturer had died, she would spinning in her grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Grimebox wrote: »
    So only in 1976 were all games classified under a genre. In every other year some genre-less games were released. I'd love to play some of those.

This graph is stupid. If my statistics lecturer had died, she would spinning in her grave.

I would imagine the classification comes from the data set used, ie what ever was in the database for those games. A visual will only be as good as the data behind it.

• Advertisement

Zombrex wrote: »
    I would imagine the classification comes from the data set used, ie what ever was in the database for those games. A visual will only be as good as the data behind it.

Absolutely. It looks to me that the measurement of the vertical axis is relative to all other games released that year. I think it should add up to 100 in all cases if that is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The most shocking thing on that graph is that PSP games are still selling... :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The most shocking thing on that graph is that PSP games are still selling... :pac:

I'm still buying them. The PSP last 2 years have seen it receive a stupid amount of brilliant games.

Advertisement