Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How I love being ripped off in post Celtic Tiger Ireland

• 30-12-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I was down at my local (old man style) pub a few nights prior to Christmas meeting with a Uni friend I had not seen in a while. I had to be up early the next day so I ordered a Carlsberg shandy. I imagine this is less than half a pint of actual lager topped up by the cheapest TK white lemonade.

This would be one of the cheapest drinks the pub could possible serve that is not a pint of water. They charged me nearly 5 euros. How can this be justified? We hear how the pub trade has suffered in this recession, yet still indulging in shameless rip offery? Also, when we have national awareness of our drink culture, it should not be that I am more out of pocket for "rethinking my drinking" than someone who orders a "proper" beer.

Should get drunk in future I guess.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Take it to the rip off Ireland forum :P ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It used to be 15p for a packet of Mega Meanies

It's now 89c!

Unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Cocktails are always expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

The 5 euro price was probably to discourage your type from darkening their door again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

MrStuffins wrote: »

It's now 89c!

Unreal!

Don't get me started on chickatees!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

Waestrel wrote: »
    I imagine this is less than half a pint of actual lager topped up by the cheapest TK white lemonade.

I imagine they used a bottle of 7up which costs in the region of €2.50 and then charged you for the half pint on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I've never heard of anywhere charging less for shandy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Culleeo wrote: »

I imagine they used a bottle of 7up which costs in the region of €2.50 and then charged you for the half pint on top.

This is generally how shandies are done unless the pub has a soda gun thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

I know that, I should have put :rolleyes: at the end of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭oodles19

Been working in pubs 20 years, shandies are always the same price as a pint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Sheesh, 10p bags are about €2 now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Only Brits go to Uni

You met your college friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Not necessarily. Lots of pubs have those digital touch screen tills these days and would have a button for ale shandy, lager shandy etc. The same for brandy & port or other commonly mixed drinks, so you are not paying for two seperate drink prices in one glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

You get what you pay for.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Must have included a free hand-shandy at the hatch OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's now 89c!

Unreal!

This is the type of thing that should get the nation out on the streets protesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thread disappoints. You got ripped off by 5 euro. Actually, you were charged 5 euro so at most you were ripped off by about 2 euro. Worthy of a new thread? No. Go get a twitter account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They charged me nearly 5 euros. How can this be justified? We hear how the pub trade has suffered in this recession, yet still indulging in shameless rip offery?

What did the manager/owner of the establishment say when you posed this question to him/her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

€5.45 in my local :mad:. They upped all drinks a couple of weeks before the budget and again after (Including Tea/Coffee)
    They get away with it, because everyone lets them away with it. Anyone that would have, gave up doing anything about it years ago.

Hope someone starts "Warehouse" parties, and BYOBooze.. Better Craic/music and hopefully people. Small entrance fee to cover any costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Tish!!!

I remember the days when you could buy a bag of Tayto for 5p.
    (Seriously)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

longshanks wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Lots of pubs have those digital touch screen tills these days and would have a button for ale shandy, lager shandy etc. The same for brandy & port or other commonly mixed drinks, so you are not paying for two seperate drink prices in one glass.

Digital touch pad keeps track of what stock you have sold, which it then translates to how much money should be in the till. If the till is down at the end of the shift, the staff pay the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm presuming you drank what you'd paid for and left OP??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

orestes wrote: »
    If the till is down at the end of the shift, the staff pay the difference.

Illegal

Oh managers will try that one but they can be told where to go

Digital touch pad keeps track of what stock you have sold, which it then translates to how much money should be in the till. If the till is down at the end of the shift, the staff pay the difference.

And does the manager then sell them magic beans?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Illegal

Oh managers will try that one but they can be told where to go
    And does the manager then sell them magic beans?

Maybe not here but tis standard practice in a lot of bars in Belgium and Holland anyway. You don't pay up, there's the door.

Maybe not here but tis standard practice in a lot of bars in Belgium and Holland anyway. You don't pay up, there's the door.

I don't think the OP was in Holland or Belgium at the time.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I drink the odd shandy in the summer or when driving. Sometimes while driving in the summer. Anyway, the way every pub Ive been in do it is to half fill a pint glass with cheapo TK red lemonade and then top it up with ale. End result is same price as a normal pint. It's just one of the many ways in which consumers are ripped off. Ho hum.

I don't think the OP was in Holland or Belgium at the time.............

Ok. OP is giving out about being charged full price for a pint of shandy. I pointed out that stock in bars is very closely monitored and sold/missing stock has to be accounted for in terms of cash taken in. Therefore, if half a pint of beer is missing and a bottle of 7-up is missing, the money for them should be in the till. If the bar-staff didn't take the money for them, they would be held accountable for the missing stock/money.

I foolishly extended this point by adding a pointless throw-away comment about having to pay for the stock, which was apparently wrong, but which has been used to overlook the part of my post that was pointing out why the OP was charged for a pint. I'm sorry. Better now? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Pretty sure it's illegal there too. Employment laws tend to be standard across Europe these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You were charged ghay tax

Ok. OP is giving out about being charged full price for a pint of shandy. I pointed out that stock in bars is very closely monitored and sold/missing stock has to be accounted for in terms of cash taken in. Therefore, if half a pint of beer is missing and a bottle of 7-up is missing, the money for them should be in the till. If the bar-staff didn't take the money for them, they would be held accountable for the missing stock/money.

I foolishly extended this point by adding a pointless throw-away comment about having to pay for the stock, which was apparently wrong, but which has been used to overlook the part of my post that was pointing out why the OP was charged for a pint. I'm sorry. Better now? :)

Cool. And I understand completely that a lot of bar managers, shop managers etc will try this and get away with it a lot of the time.

I worked part time in a place when i was in college and they tried to do this! Everyone bar me (who happened to be studying employment law at the time) thought this was standard practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Worked in a few pubs, never a difference in price for a shandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LiffeyValleyB

I was down at my local (old man style) pub a few nights prior to Christmas meeting with a Uni friend I had not seen in a while. I had to be up early the next day so I ordered a Carlsberg shandy. I imagine this is less than half a pint of actual lager topped up by the cheapest TK white lemonade.

This would be one of the cheapest drinks the pub could possible serve that is not a pint of water. They charged me nearly 5 euros. How can this be justified? We hear how the pub trade has suffered in this recession, yet still indulging in shameless rip offery? Also, when we have national awareness of our drink culture, it should not be that I am more out of pocket for "rethinking my drinking" than someone who orders a "proper" beer.

Fair play to you for standing your ground and refusing to be ripped off by not paying the 5 euros and sending the drink back... Oh wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Cienciano wrote: »
    You were charged ghay tax
    That thought did cross my mind. "Coming in here looking for fancy cocktails. What's wrong with a pint of plain? I'll show you, ya waestrel.":)

Also, what is "Nearly 5 euro"?? Is that €4.75? I.e, what's the big deal, sure you got your pint, what did you expect, €2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

€2.60 was plenty enough for it, obviously they were new staff and charged for a split (bottled mixer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

The thing is, it's not usually. Most times a shandy would be ⅔ beer and ⅓ lemonade, or at most half and half (at customers' request). Never more lemonade than beer.

Was there any difference in price between the shandy and a standard pint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Zuko123

Stop drinking like a pu55y and you will never have this problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its called the "Shandy" tax, introduced by Charlie McCreevy in 1983 to discourage people from pretending to order a pint but really wimping out of with half lemonade and half beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

If the till is over do the staff share the difference then?

If the till is over do the staff share the difference then?

Yup, that's the tips. It sounds like a weird system that bites the staff in the arse but it's really just there to cut down on waste and make staff more careful with the stock, it works out in your favour the vast majority of the time really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Yup, that's the tips. It sounds like a weird system that bites the staff in the arse but it's really just there to cut down on waste and make staff more careful with the stock, it works out in your favour the vast majority of the time really.
    I think it creates the temptation to short change customers.

Don't get me started on Penny sweets.

Advertisement