Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mav79 wrote: »

I think its very early to be writing Borini off yet. Hopefully he will be brought on to replace Sturridge late on for a few games. Would like to see him get a chance in the centre.

He should get a chance against Zenit with Sturridge missing.

I said it before and I know plenty disagreed - I'd be sending a near 2nd string 11 to Russia. I know its our only chance of silverware, but I think we can send a team to nick a draw without subjecting key players to that journey

Jones

Wisdom
    Coates
    Skrtel
    Enrique

Allen
    Shelvey
    Henderson (he is rechargeable)

Sterling
    Borini
    Downing (he is expendable)

That team is still strong and the likes of Gerrard, Suarez, Johnson, agger and Lucas will get rested ahead of the league game and the second leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Urrgh Defensive errors again.

Overall it was a good performance apart from the second half V Arsenal I can see progression in the team.

I like Hendo and Enrique playing together, that is a solid left side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd be happy to start anyone but Downing at this stage. He offers absolutely nothing in an attacking sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Jones

Wisdom
    Coates
    Skrtel
    Enrique

Allen
    Shelvey
    Henderson (he is rechargeable)

Sterling
    Borini
    Downing (he is expendable)

I'd agree with that team, could come away with a win over there, or put another Oldham performance in and get hammered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'd be happy to start anyone but Downing at this stage. He offers absolutely nothing in an attacking sense.

Think he is a better option than Sterling and with Suarez/Hendo on one side we need someone to stretch the play, as limited as he is hes more or less all we got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

daithijjj wrote: »
    Allen wasnt capable for that advanced role and never will be. Im sure there was more than me who thought this before he was picked to play advanced against United and was shocking bad. I just hope some of the good things happening right now are by design and not resting or anything else. We will see. On the flipside, i have confidence in Allen to be able to adapt as he gets older, he seems the cerebral type.

Re Borini. Brendan is the man who put 12/3m faith in the player. And he is the one picking him there at times. He is a central striker who needs plenty of runners from midfield and nothing else imo. He has several virtues but personally, i dont think he will make it at LFC. Time will tell if that's an incorrect summation on him.
    In one post you praise Hendo and claim he had a right to be pissed off at being poorly treated as he did nothing to justify his price tag the first year he was here and in the other you are happy to write off Borini in less than 6 months?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I think the whole team has played better since Sturridge came. Credit to Rogers for a strong signing there. He gives us what we were missing up front
    How long more to wait for that elusive win against a team ahead of us! I think the next big opportunity is Spurs
    Id settle for a good win against west brom first though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

http://www.thebibtheorists.com/

New Liverpool fan site launching in the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Personally, i always knew these would be the toughest games in the 2nd half of the season, they are behind us now and we have shown we are capable of competing.

To me the most important thing is to concentrate on getting a win in every game for the rest of the month. Its time to get a few points and the next 6 weeks are vital to finishing the season well.

I for one am happy to say i would be glad to see what brendan manages with the team over the next 18 months and see where we are then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'm surprised by how good Sturridge has been. He looks a much better player than I thought we were getting. Every time he got the ball today he kept his head up and picked out the right option...very impressed so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In one post you praise Hendo and claim he had a right to be pissed off at being poorly treated as he did nothing to justify his price tag the first year he was here and in the other you are happy to write off Borini in less than 6 months?

Its not so much the age/potential/needs an opportunity argument.

Whether or not you had faith in Hendo, you knew he was mobile, could play centre midfield at a push and even right wing if really needed.

I honestly don't know where Boroni fits in, even hyopthetically.

The front three of Downing, Suarez and Sturridge seem preferred. If we are missing of them I'd like to see Sterling in as a replacement or Gerrard possibly.

That means that BR's marquee striker purchase is now 6th place in the rankings even if you quibble with my rankings you will probably still agree he is fourth or fifth.

noodler wrote: »
    Its not so much the age/potential/needs an opportunity argument.

Whether or not you had faith in Hendo, you knew he was mobile, could play centre midfield at a push and even right wing if really needed.

I honestly don't know where Boroni fits in, even hyopthetically.

The front three of Downing, Suarez and Sturridge seem preferred. If we are missing of them I'd like to see Sterling in as a replacement or Gerrard possibly.

That means that BR's marquee striker purchase is now 6th place in the rankings even if you quibble with my rankings you will probably still agree he is fourth or fifth.

We know Borini can play on the wing at a push as well, he can also play as a striker. He also has a good engine as well. He's not perfect but I honestly have no idea how people have watched and can't see his potential. Now he might never reach that but it's obviously there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kelly has more experience and has been consistent when he has got a run, the injuries are the obvious concern. The guy probably deserves to get more than Sterling and with a good medical team hope the injuries clear up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

d31c4baad17875760b4eb11ed137c017.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Think he is a better option than Sterling and with Suarez/Hendo on one side we need someone to stretch the play, as limited as he is hes more or less all we got

Coutinho will play wide left, so Downing will get dropped bar the EL campaign I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We play 8 games in league next that we can win, And should win
    I predict great things,
    While some of the teams above us play each other during this period
    They can't both win
    If we can keep it together and improve more then 4th could be a real possibility

We know Borini can play on the wing at a push as well, he can also play as a striker. He also has a good engine as well. He's not perfect but I honestly have no idea how people have watched and can't see his potential. Now he might never reach that but it's obviously there.

Again.

He can play wide as we have all seen, but better than Downing? or Sterling?

Would anyone really want to start him up top over Sturridge or Suarez?

He just seems to be so far down the pecking order already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I predict great things,
    They can't both win
    If we can keep it together and improve more then 4th could be a real possibility

That is very true.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    d31c4baad17875760b4eb11ed137c017.png

Runner up was our Martin Kelly too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Borini isn't a winger and shouldn't be played there.

Again.

He can play wide as we have all seen, but better than Downing? or Sterling?

Would anyone really want to start him up top over Sturridge or Suarez?

He just seems to be so far down the pecking order already.

If you want goals than I'd easily have him over Downing and Sterling. Against United he was far more involved than Downing was and looked a much bigger thread. I'd be happy to see him start up top with Suarez roaming. I'd like to see Suarez-Sturridge-Borini get a chance anyway. As much as I like Henderson he's not good enough to be in our first 11 as a CAM if we are pushing for top 4 tbh.

Top 6 would be a good achievement.

A few good signings in the summer and we should be challenging for top 4 next season.

We need a keeper, a centre back, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder and maybe another winger.

Sell Downing and Carroll. Loan the likes of Shelvey and Suso out for the season.

Wisdom may be good enough to start at centre back next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

djPSB wrote: »
    Top 6 would be a good achievement.

A few good signings in the summer and we should be challenging for top 4 next season.

We need a keeper, a centre back, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder and maybe another winger.

Sell Downing and Carroll. Loan the likes of Shelvey and Suso out for the season.

Wisdom may be good enough to start at centre back next season?

I think Downing deserves to stay, he put in another good performance today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

The FA ‏@FA

And the final winner is #England captain Steven Gerrard. Congratulations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I predict great things,
    They can't both win

I think we're too inconsistent and will definitely drop more points in games we're expected to win. We're improving but not fast enough.

We could possibly catch Arsenal and Everton because I don't think there is much between us and either of them. Can't see us catching Spurs though, they're better than us and will probably widen the gap on us by the end of the season if anything.

aramush wrote: »
    I think Downing deserves to stay, he put in another good performance today!

Did okay today.

Never looks like scoring though. Not good enough for a team that has aspirations of finishing in the top 4.

I dont see Downing as a major problem these days. His performances have improved. If we sell him great, if he stays he can be a squad player next season

T-K-O wrote: »
    I dont see Downing as a major problem these days. His performances have improved. If we sell him great, if he stays he can be a squad player next season

A squad player on £80,000 a week doesn't make sense though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lads i was in work for the game would someone be able to just give me a quick summery of it so i don't have to trawl through the match thread? Please and thanks!

• Advertisement

Downing should be the first one we look to get rid of. On ridiculous money, isn't good enough to be a first team player and might fetch about £7m if sold.

If you want goals than I'd easily have him over Downing and Sterling. Against United he was far more involved than Downing was and looked a much bigger thread. I'd be happy to see him start up top with Suarez roaming. I'd like to see Suarez-Sturridge-Borini get a chance anyway. As much as I like Henderson he's not good enough to be in our first 11 as a CAM if we are pushing for top 4 tbh.

It is harsh basing this on 4 or 5 months of watching him play for Liverpool but Boroni really didn't strike me as somebody who will get us goal wide in a 4-3-3 (not saying he wouldn't get more than Downing but Downing does have other useful attributes out there).

A huge chunk of our first team isn't good enough to push for top 4 if we are going to be ultra critical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

They have this thing called highlights, u aware?

EdenHazard wrote: »
    They have this thing called highlights, u aware?

For your hair?

It is harsh basing this on 4 or 5 months of watching him play for Liverpool but Boroni really didn't strike me as somebody who will get us goal wide in a 4-3-3 (not saying he wouldn't get more than Downing but Downing does have other useful attributes out there).

A huge chunk of our first team isn't good enough to push for top 4 if we are going to be ultra critical.

Downing's most useful attributes are his defensive skills in terms of work rate and tracking. Going forward he offers very little for the number of opportunities he has. In terms of top 4 I think we are only short a GK, CAM, right winger and maybe left back. If we had a better keeper I'd be happy having Agger/Carragher/Skrtel there with a better second choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

He did for Roma, wide left, last year. It was 12 goals last season. Wide right is a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think we're too inconsistent and will definitely drop more points in games we're expected to win. We're improving but not fast enough.

We could possibly catch Arsenal and Everton because I don't think there is much between us and either of them. Can't see us catching Spurs though, they're better than us and will probably widen the gap on us by the end of the season if anything.

The derby match at home will be a real six pointer, as if anything was needed to add spice to it, Spurs and Chelsea at home as well, 6/7 points there and we are in with a shout of fourth. Getting a couple of wins against our rivals for 4th and coming out of the season on a good run, closing the gap on 4th should be the target.

25 points is realistic for our games left, break the 60 point barrier and hope for a EC position, the League Cup position is taken.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

djPSB wrote: »
    A squad player on £80,000 a week doesn't make sense though.

The most important thing about Downing was his level of performance.

Early in the season he was awful, 20million, 80k a week and we got nothing. Add that to the fact that no one wants to buy a player playing at that level.

He has improved thus making it easier for us to sell him but also making him of some use from the bench. Compare that to 6 months ago when he looked like we couldn't give him away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

ASOT wrote: »
    Lads i was in work for the game would someone be able to just give me a quick summery of it so i don't have to trawl through the match thread? Please and thanks!

Dzeko scored. Then Sturridge scored. Then Gerrard scored. Then Aguero scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Downing's most useful attributes are his defensive skills in terms of work rate and tracking. Going forward he offers very little for the number of opportunities he has. In terms of top 4 I think we are only short a GK, CAM, right winger and maybe left back. If we had a better keeper I'd be happy having Agger/Carragher/Skrtel there with a better second choice.

We just bought a CAM in Coutinho
    We are short a top GK,CB,LB & some steel in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I always rated Henderson, i think Borini is a ****house. Does that bring it down to simple enough terms?. Its just my impression of the player and im happy to say it now rather than when its easy to in 18 months (should it turn out that way).

Is there a problem with that?. Or should i just sit here with a rosy outlook, everything and everyone is brilliant?.

T-K-O wrote: »

Agree with this.

He's been solid the last few months and his confidence has increased dramatically.

Thought he did well today.

Obviously we need better than him but I think people are just being lazy if they are criticising him particularly after he's done ok.

He's trying and supporters welcome that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Haven't dipped in here in a while. Start of season i predicted Liverpool to challenge for the 4th spot and it's still viable, which is good.

I know things are not perfect, by any means, but a) i think Rodgers is starting to vindicate his selection as manager and b) all the vitriol aimed at Sturridge pre-signing seems to be misplaced. He's been first class so far. Early days but he's had a tremendous impact.

Whatever is achieved by end of season (whether it ends up being a top 6 finish), this summers window is crucial. With the right signings,i genuinely see no reason Liverpool can't mount a title challenge within 2 years. Very few would disagree that this is not a vintage Man Utd side, Man City have stuttered (in large part due to the spine of their team not firing like last year - i.e. Kompany-YaYa-Aguero), Arsenal are in transition (perpetual transition!), Spurs are over-reliant on width (take out Bale/Lennon and they're very one-dimensional).

The gap in points between the Manchester teams and the rest may appear big but i genuinely don't think the gulf in class/depth is as big. If Liverpool can have an astute summer in the transfer market and keep improving with the Rodgers philosophy, genuinely think within 2 years could be seeing a challenge (i.e. come March time be in with a shout).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then a Liverpool double from the FA, that'll be welcomed across the land! (the land being Norway ;))

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Agree with this.

He's been solid the last few months and his confidence has increased dramatically.

Thought he did well today.

Obviously we need better than him but I think people are just being lazy if they are criticising him particularly after he's done ok.

He's trying and supporters welcome that.

Exactly, he's not my first choice but at least he's putting in a shift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

daithijjj wrote: »
    I always rated Henderson, i think Borini is a ****house. Does that bring it down to simple enough terms?. Its just my impression of the player and im happy to say it now rather than when its easy to in 18 months (should it turn out that way).

Is there a problem with that?. Or should i just sit here with a rosy outlook, everything and everyone is brilliant?.
    Christ who sh*t in your porridge. I personally think there is far more technical ability in Borini than Hendo, he has had a bad time with injuries and when hes fit and had a run then it will be fair to judge, its far too premature to say hes never gonna be of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Downing is not good enough. He's so slow when he get's the ball in a counter attack situation. It looks like he doesn't know who to give it to and holds onto it for too long which just breaks the move down.

I'd like to see him moved on in the Summer along with Reina and Skrtel. But mainly Downing. I'd pay to not have to watch him again in a Liverpool shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Liverpool were absolutely superb today. Played City off the park. We really need to kill these games off.

A good learning curve for Rodgers in his first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Christ who sh*t in your porridge. I personally think there is far more technical ability in Borini than Hendo, he has had a bad time with injuries and when hes fit and had a run then it will be fair to judge, its far too premature to say hes never gonna be of use.

I think one of Henderson's strong points is his technical ability. Strikes the ball well, passes well, good control and is the bestest at keepy uppies.
    Now im not seeing Borini isnt technically well endowed but to say he is far more than Hendy is a bit strong.

Anyone else have a slight misty eye experience after Gerrard scored? Was a bit of the old Gerrard and his celebration gave a clear indication of how he felt.
    Haven't seen him score like that in a long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Thought Downing was quite good today. Although nothing came of what he produced I thought that there was plenty of quality there.

It was the first time he's really produced in a big game to any degree.

Hopefully if he keeps performing like this a few teams will be happy to spend the bones of 10m on him in the summer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement