Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

hefferboi wrote: »
    Downing is not good enough. He's so slow when he get's the ball in a counter attack situation. It looks like he doesn't know who to give it to and holds onto it for too long which just breaks the move down.

I'd like to see him moved on in the Summer along with Reina and Skrtel. But mainly Downing. I'd pay to not have to watch him again in a Liverpool shirt.

Never seem to get anyone into the box quick enough when we're on the counter, happened countless times today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

I thought we were friggin excellent today, all over the field. My concern is now mainly in central defence. Carra has been epic in the past few games but its not like we can build a team around him. We need to find a top class, commanding centre-half this summer, to add to Agger and Skrtel. Plus a new goalkeeper, I think Pepe's time is coming to an end unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Was enrique injured when subbed today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

he was dead on his feet.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We really make far too many mistakes at the back, it's ridiculous at this stage. Been the same for the last few years and it is bloody irritating. Much as I like Skrtel and Agger, it might be time for some new blood in there, and Reina as well, although it pains me to say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Christ who sh*t in your porridge. I personally think there is far more technical ability in Borini than Hendo, he has had a bad time with injuries and when hes fit and had a run then it will be fair to judge, its far too premature to say hes never gonna be of use.

My post may not have reflected my mood. Read it back as if you were Yoda or Gandalf or something. Apologies.

I have criticised plenty of players in this thread over the years. What doesnt change is the 'judging too early' riposte, im used to having it pushed back at me. That's fine. If people dont like my opinions its perfectly fine too. Id like to jump into your opinion on Borini but im not going to, you are entitled to that opinion and to have your opinion heard/written. I think you are wrong but at least you are putting a post together explaining why you think the way you do.

When we were linked with Sturridge i was happy enough, plenty hated the thought. "Fu*k off Sturridge" wasnt an uncommon post in here. As far as im concerned those types of posts are no different to me having a current opinion on Borini. I believe he is a no mark player, as someone else said, a sh1te version of Dirk Kuyt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Am I the only one who thinks Carra should share some of the blame for ball watching and not covering the goal line when he saw his own goal keeper vacating his penalty box ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Am I the only one who thinks Carra should share some of the blame for ball watching and not covering the goal line when he saw his own goal keeper vacating his penalty box ??

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Gbear wrote: »
    Upon further reflection jackass is pretty tame and I apologise.

apology accepted

5starpool wrote: »
    We really make far too many mistakes at the back, it's ridiculous at this stage. Been the same for the last few years and it is bloody irritating. Much as I like Skrtel and Agger, it might be time for some new blood in there, and Reina as well, although it pains me to say it.

We had the 3rd best defensive record in the league last season though. Perhaps Steve Clark was undervalued, despite being valued, if you get what i mean?. And that with no Lucas for half the season. I think its a mentality issue this season personally. I think at times we are looking to play a style over the ultimate goal of getting 3 points, regardless of style. We play a lot less long balls now and we seem to invite teams onto us more through that and other things. Maybe we just dont have the personell to play the style yet?. Probably a combination of issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

daithijjj wrote: »
    My post may not have reflected my mood. Read it back as if you were Yoda or Gandalf or something. Apologies.

I have criticised plenty of players in this thread over the years. What doesnt change is the 'judging too early' riposte, im used to having it pushed back at me. That's fine. If people dont like my opinions its perfectly fine too. Id like to jump into your opinion on Borini but im not going to, you are entitled to that opinion and to have your opinion heard/written. I think you are wrong but at least you are putting a post together explaining why you think the way you do.

When we were linked with Sturridge i was happy enough, plenty hated the thought. "Fu*k off Sturridge" wasnt an uncommon post in here. As far as im concerned those types of posts are no different to me having a current opinion on Borini. I believe he is a no mark player, as someone else said, a sh1te version of Dirk Kuyt.
    Cheers. Im not saying hes the be all and end all either, just feel hes had shag all chance so far, hope he proves to be a good buy, he definitely has more ability than Dirk but would lose the workrate battle. Id have been one of the no to Sturridge brigade as i just felt his 'head down' thing wouldnt suit us but its clearly not been an issue so far so im glad i got my vision of him completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He was marking the City attacker, Skrtel should have dealt with it no matter where Pepe was going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Agger is a major liability, if we can get decent cash for him I'd gladly take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I thought we were good again today, the team is definitely on the up. Our year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Vanolder wrote: »
    Agger is a major liability, if we can get decent cash for him I'd gladly take it.

I think Agger needs a leader beside him. The same could be said for Skertel. Both guys can play but neither can lead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He was marking the City attacker, Skrtel should have dealt with it no matter where Pepe was going.

Looked like he was until he saw Reina rushing out and then seemed to throw his hands out in a wtf moment.

ib0F5cpWJQBeiC.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looked like he was until he saw Reina rushing out and then seemed to throw his hands out in a wtf moment.

ib0F5cpWJQBeiC.gif

We had a team of seasoned pros, But they still could not handle leading the game, Became very uncomfortable for then to be in a winning position

Skertel should have booted the ball, Reina and Auggero into row Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I knew the daithijj original post was a dig at Rodgers, love Kenny type post.

Look, daithijj, give Rodgers as much time as Kenny's signings to judge. In other words, come back in a years time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

ib0F5cpWJQBeiC.gif

Just before that gif Skrtel gestures with his left hand for Reina to stay put. You can only see it on one of the close up replays I watched which is why he's gesturing like wtf are you doing when Reina rushes out.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

ib0F5cpWJQBeiC.gif
    I know a lot are having a go at Reina over the goal and it looks worse cause he's had a few fcuk ups but in all fairness 9.9 times out of 10 he'd have put enough pressure on the forward to spew it wide.

He's a great goal keeper but I think he needs to get away from Pool to get his career back, a fresh start, so many keepers have been where he is he needs to move for both his and Pools sake

Soups123 wrote: »
    I know a lot are having a go at Reina over the goal and it looks worse cause he's had a few fcuk ups but in all fairness 9.9 times out of 10 he'd have put enough pressure on the forward to spew it wide.

He's a great goal keeper but I think he needs to get away from Pool to get his career back, a fresh start, so many keepers have been where he is he needs to move for both his and Pools sake

The finish was pretty spectacular aswell.

I'm a fan of Pepe but for once his hate brigade have a reason to give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

T-K-O wrote: »

I'm a fan of Pepe but for once his hate brigade have a reason to give out.

Reina has a hate brigade?

Most of the criticisms I've read on him over the past two years or so have been valid. He's a shadow of his former self.

But I, and many others, still wish him well. A move to Barcelona would be great for him, and probably for us too providing we find a good replacement.

Oscorp wrote: »
    Reina has a hate brigade?

Most of the criticisms I've read on him over the past two years or so have been valid. He's a shadow of his former self.

But I, and many others, still wish him well. A move to Barcelona would be great for him, and probably for us too providing we find a good replacement.

He sure does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

He sure does.

No he doesnt he's just being called out on his poor form. Sure people who are criticising him want him to get his move to Barca for his OWN sake as well as ours.

• Advertisement

No he doesnt he's just being called out on his poor form. Sure people who are criticising him want him to get his move to Barca for his OWN sake as well as ours.

However regardless of his performance you can come on here after the game and read all type of nonsense.

I have no problem criticising the guy but some balance is required. Certain people have made their mind up and Reina is a goner...(in their eyes)

K-9 wrote: »
    I knew the daithijj original post was a dig at Rodgers, love Kenny type post.

Look, daithijj, give Rodgers as much time as Kenny's signings to judge. In other words, come back in a years time.

Get over yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I posted after the game yesterday regarding Reina errors. It's actually 8 errors by Reina this season have lead to opposition goals scores :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

He sure does.

Your allowed to criticise a player without being in a "hate parade". Same thing happened Gerrard. People defending him blindly and bit of criticism was called hating him. Now he's our 2nd/3rd best player this season.

Reina played brilliant against Arsenal imo, but yesterday's mistake highlights why we need to get rid of him. We need a young, hungry keeper now to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Its beyond a joke at this stage how we always get punished for defensive feck ups, i hope rodgers is looking at a complete overhaul of sorts of the back line in the summer. Lots of positives yesterdays and good reason to be optimistic, chalk and cheese to to the second half last season. Also good to see hendo and gerrard pick up their respective fa poty awards, throughly deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

6 points from the next 2 games please

I think finishing above Everton could be classed as a good season and is something we should be achieving

daithijjj wrote: »
    I think at times we are looking to play a style over the ultimate goal of getting 3 points, regardless of style. We play a lot less long balls now and we seem to invite teams onto us more through that and other things. Maybe we just dont have the personell to play the style yet?. Probably a combination of issues.

Actually noticed a much greater pragmatism in the last two games whether it is due to opposition, having Carra back or instruction but we arent afraid to clear our lines when needed to relieve pressure and then push up. This is a good thing, as especially with Suarez and Sturridge we have two targets to aim for now, and is something Manchester United for example did well against us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I posted after the game yesterday regarding Reina errors. It's actually 8 errors by Reina this season have lead to opposition goals scores :(

I actually would blame him more for Walcott 's goal midweek than Aguero's...as has been said Aguero had no right to score from there.

Replacing him is a tricky situation though...if we bring in a keeper who performs worse it would undo any progress we might make this season. Then again it could all work out for the best.

Pay attention to the 14:00 mark, Gerrard shakes Mancinis hand and says "good luck", Mancini just about shakes his hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

ib0F5cpWJQBeiC.gif

Gosh, every time I see that goal, I puke up, yet I'm quoting it :(

I love Reina, but we need a change / he needs a change. This picture says it all :(.

0OQnV7Z.jpg

One thing about Reina is, if he wants to stay, losing him and Carragher potentially in the same summer would see us shorn of two of our biggest characters in the dressing room

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Rodgers: This is the proof

Steven Gerrard looked to have given Liverpool a vital win in their race for Champions League qualification with a trademark smash from distance after earlier goals from Edin Dzeko and Daniel Sturridge.

However, a stunning finish from Sergio Aguero after beating Pepe Reina to the ball near the corner flag meant the points were shared.

The visitors had 22 shots - twice as many as the champions.

Rodgers feels his side is growing into a formidable outfit but accepts mistakes have cost them too many points in 2012-13.

"It was an outstanding performance at a notoriously difficult place for teams to even score a goal," said the Northerm Irishman. "I don't think they've conceded here [in 2013].

"What was important for me was to see the confidence of the players, the desire, the quality and the efficiency of their game. I don't think anyone would deny that we probably deserved to win that game.

"The disappointing thing was that it typified our season, really, where we've been outstanding in our game and the model of our work but mistakes have cost us.

"That's all a part of our growth.

Brendan post-City press

"I was really disappointed for them because they'd put so much into the game. Obviously Aguero's finish is unbelievable but from our perspective we're bitterly disappointed he was even in that position.

"It was a mistake, everyone was clear on that, but I can't fault the players. I thought they were absolutely brilliant today. We showed great character.

"We might be missing two or three players who can really help the group that clubs like Manchester City have, but I don't think you can fault the players for what they're giving in the game.

"Once we cut out those mistakes - which we will do, there's no question about that - draws turn into wins and we can be a real force, because we've got some really talented players. The group is still growing and building."

Liverpool equalised City's early opener amid a chorus of boos, Sturridge thundering past Joe Hart from outside the area while Dzeko was apparently injured 70 yards away.

Referee Anthony Taylor had not deemed Daniel Agger's challenge on the striker a foul - and Dzeko was back on his feet as soon as the goal went in.

Rodgers said: "The Sturridge goal was quite clear, really. If you watch the incident itself, both bodies got tangled up, Dzeko obviously thinks it's a free-kick but Daniel Agger has done what good defenders do - try to nick the ball.

"You are then talking about a minute or so after, and the referee had told a couple of the players - Daniel Sturridge, Steven Gerrard - to play on. Hence why they kept the game flowing.

"You saw a moment in the second half where Daniel Agger did actually kick the ball out but there was no injury to Edin Dzeko, it was purely the referee's decision. He told the players to play on.

"It probably takes away from what was a brilliant finish from Daniel Sturridge to get us back into the game."

Sturridge seemed to pick up an injury late in the first half but continued until the closing stages, when he was replaced by Joe Allen.

He is now a doubt for England's contest with Brazil this week.

"He got a knock just before half-time on his thigh," said Rodgers. "He wanted to give it a go in the second half but I think he'll be a doubt for the [England] game on Wednesday.

"It's unfortunate because he was terrific today. His hold-up play, his movement, his pace. He was a real, real threat. His combination with Suarez and Downing and Henderson up front was outstanding."

Sturridge was booked for diving after skipping past Joleon Lescott in the second period.

Rodgers added: "There is contact in it. I think he just falls over. He knows he's not going to get a penalty, the ball's going out. It's unfortunate. We've been here before with this kind of stuff. It's not something we like or advocate but I don't think he was diving to get a penalty - the ball had gone and he was never going to retrieve it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Very frustrating to have only picked up 2 points from the Arsenal and City games - yesterday's performance was particularly impressive imo - we looked threatening going forward and relatively stable at the back until Reina's rush of blood to the head.
    • Inexplicable brain fart from Pepe - if you come that far as a keeper you have to be 100% sure of taking a) the ball, b) the man, or c) man & ball. He would probably got away with it against most strikers in the League but that still doesn't excuse it.
    • Was very impressed with Sturridge yesterday - he looked the real deal after 2 meh performances against Oldham and Arsenal. Thought his booking was harsh and disappointed not to see him bust out the robotics afters scoring.
    • Downing is nothing more than a placeholder in that team - as I said last week he is no longer a liability but he is so predictably dull. Can't remember any other player who plays with such little ambition as he does.
    • Can't believe people are still seriously discussing the prospect of finishing 4th this year :confused: Our main goal at the minute is to consolidate 7th place and stay ahead of West Brom and Swansea; catching one of Arsenal and Everton would be great and a nice bonus but finishing 4th?? Not gonna happen barring an series of highly unlikely events and/or miracles.
    • I haven't read all of the recent pages on here but surely everyone now acknowledges (even begrudgingly) that real progress is being made under Rodgers. It's been a long and painful journey this year but if we can finish strongly this season and show some intelligence in the transfer market (both ins and outs) in the summer then we can really push on next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Sturridge: Referee told us to continue

Daniel Sturridge grabbed his fourth goal in six Liverpool appearances against Manchester City on Sunday and revealed post-match that the referee insisted the Reds should play on in the build-up.

Edin Dzeko was down with an apparent injury when the 23-year-old picked up the ball at the edge of the hosts' penalty box and thrashed a piercing drive low into Joe Hart's bottom corner.

Roberto Mancini's men were unhappy but Sturridge explained that it was Anthony Taylor's decision to make - and he gave the visitors the green light.

"From our viewpoint, the ref said to play on - not kick the ball out," Sturridge told Sky Sports.

"It's not our job to kick the ball out. If the referee says kick it out, we do that. If the ref says play on, we play on.

"That's what the ref told us to do. We do exactly what he tells us to do, and we played on and scored. We were just abiding by what the ref told us to do."

Sturridge almost claimed a winner for the away side as the seconds ticked away too, forcing Hart into a fingertip save with an instinctive attempt from distance.

"It was a good save by Hart. I just had a toe-poke because it came at my feet and a few players closed me down," the former Chelsea man commented.

Despite picking up a knock during the opening period, Sturridge produced another scintillating performance for the Reds at the home of his old club.

Asked if it was his best showing out of the half-dozen games he has now played, the striker agreed that it was.

He added: "I'd say so. I've not been here very long and in the first few games I've lacked fitness.

"But I feel sharp now, and I'm playing and training more like myself. There's more to come from me but I was pleased with the performance today.

"It was end-to-end stuff, great for the neutral. We're gutted, to be fair. I thought we should have come out of the game with three points.

"We're disappointed but it's a point against a team that's challenging for the title, so we'll take that."

Sturridge was hopeful that the injury would not see him sidelined for an extended period.

"I did it in the first half and throughout the game I couldn't sprint," he explained.

"After I did it, I couldn't really open up properly. Hopefully it's not too serious and I'll be okay for next week's game."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Someone posted that Reina has made at least 8 mistakes this year that have directly led to goals conceded. Wow, didn't realise it was that many.

Strangely enough I think he is probably playing better this year than last. At least this year he is pulling off the occassional world class save. Last year, I can barely remember any half decent saves.

I think it has just gone a bit stale with Reina. Best for both parties if he moves to Barca in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

PRAF wrote: »
    Someone posted that Reina has made at least 8 mistakes this year that have directly led to goals conceded. Wow, didn't realise it was that many.

Strangely enough I think he is probably playing better this year than last. At least this year he is pulling off the occassional world class save. Last year, I can barely remember any half decent saves.

I think it has just gone a bit stale with Reina. Best for both parties if he moves to Barca in the summer.

If he continues with form like that then Barca won't want him.

Is there any hope for Pepe?

Has it happened before for a keeper to lose form/confidence like he has and get it back? Any examples?

Bang:
    sturridge.gif

Howitzer:
    8442048838_76f8cf6834_o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

murpho999 wrote: »

Has it happened before for a keeper to lose form/confidence like he has and get it back? Any examples?

The thing with Pepe is more mental than physical. At least he has re-built his game in terms of being capable of pulling off great saves. For a while there, he seemed to let every single shot on target into the goal :eek:

A change of scenery would do wonders for him. It really is just about being 100% concentrated and tuned into every minute of every game. Moving back to Spain could be the tonic he needs. However, I do agree that he needs to show a bit of form for Barca to even consider him.

Regarding alternative goalkeepers, it is a difficult one. Sometimes who we think are the best goalies aren't really the best. The ones who play for poorer teams get a chance to show off their shot stopping skills every week. What we really need is someone who is capable of doing nothing for 89 minutes but who can then show the composure and concentration to pull off that world class save when we really need them to do it. Not easy to find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Pay attention to the 14:00 mark, Gerrard shakes Mancinis hand and says "good luck", Mancini just about shakes his hand

Raheem the door man at 06:18.

Coates and assaidi were the 19th and 20th members of the squad, didnt make the matchday one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

So what's the consensus? Are we still in the race for top 4 or not?

I think we are (just about) but we'll know more by mid-march, after the Tottenham match. We need a win in that, and a minimum of 7 points from the other 3 games which look winnable on paper.

At the start of March, other than our game against Spurs, Tottenham play Arsenal and Arsenal play Everton. So there will be dropped points here (hopefully draws) and a chance to make some ground.

Everton have some really tough fixtures from now until the end of the season and I would be surprised if we don't eventually overtake them.

Of all the clubs we have the best fixtures and a suggestion of form picking up.

Overall I think 9 points is a big ask and probably too much. But if Spurs drop points against Arsenal and we beat them then the gap suddenly looks closeable.

In a way I think it's in our hands in that we have a bunch of winnable fixtures that will put us well in the race if we win them. But obviously we will probably not have the consistency to do this.

Also Chelsea need to be included in this. They are only a point ahead of Spurs and have to go to Liverpool, Man City and Man United.

By the 10th of March things should be clear - if we are at the same gap as we are now we can forget about it. If we have closed it to about 4 points we've got every chance.

I wouldn't write us off yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Dear Stevie,

I'm sorry I thought you might be just about finished at the top level.

I was wrong.

You definitely still have it.

Yours sincerely,

Slick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

murpho999 wrote: »

Petr Cech went through a very bad time after his collision with Stephen Hunt before gradually coming back to form, not sure he will ever be as good as before but he definitely got better eventually.

• Advertisement

Another 3 goals and well equal the entire amount of last seasons total i read on twitter earlier, attack is now fireing, midfield seems to be coming along finally now its time for the defence to wake up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement