Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Pepe Reina says Liverpool can't compete in Premier League title race

Pepe Reina: Liverpool goalkeeper facing his most testing campaign yet

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has admitted the Anfield outfit 'can't compete' in the Premier League title race with Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea.

The Reds are currently 26 points adrift of leaders United in the Premier League table and remain 17 behind champions City following Sunday's thrilling 2-2 draw at the Etihad Stadium.

Brendan Rodgers' side held a 2-1 lead against City going into the closing stages, before Reina's ill-advised rush from his line allowed Sergio Aguero to score a spectacular equaliser.

And the shot-stopper believes that the difference between the financial muscle and squad strength of the Premier League's leading trio and Liverpool has reached a significant point.

"Right now we can't compete with the big guns. They have a big edge over us at the moment, both financially and squad-wise."
    Pepe Reina
    Quotes of the week
    Reina told Marca: "Right now we can't compete with the big guns. They have a big edge over us at the moment, both financially and squad-wise.

"There's a reason they are so many points ahead of us, and it's not because of one or two better players."

The Spain international has come under the spotlight personally this term, with his standards having slipped from previous seasons.

Reina admits this has been the most testing campaign for himself and the Reds since he moved to Anfield in July 2005, but defended his displays and insists the club need to be given time under Rodgers.

He added: "It's been a strange season for me because I've missed lots of games with injury.

"Some people say I've had a bad season, but honestly I think I only had three poor matches, at the beginning of the year.

"This has been the most unsettled season, both personally and as a team, since I joined the club.

"Liverpool is going through a transitional period, with new ideas and a different playing philosophy. That takes time. People have to be patient. It's normal for us to be erratic."

Gerrard: We can challenge for fourth

Steven Gerrard is confident Liverpool are still in a position to challenge for the top four this season.

Draws at Arsenal and Manchester City last week have left the Reds nine points adrift of Tottenham, who currently occupy the fourth Champions League spot.

However, Liverpool do not have to travel to a top 10 side in their remaining 13 games - and rivals Everton, Chelsea and Tottenham must all visit Anfield.

"We can take a lot of belief from the way we've performed against Arsenal and Manchester City," said the 32-year-old, who claimed his ninth league assist and sixth goal during Sunday's 2-2 at the Etihad.

"City are a good side and to go away to the champions and get a point is a good result, but after the way we played we're disappointed not to get the win.

"We need to build on this and I'm feeling really confident about our ability to move up the table.

"We might not have got the results we wanted against the top sides but every time we have certainly matched them if not bettered them in games.

"No disrespect to the sides we've got coming up but if we keep playing like that then we can certainly put in a challenge for fourth place.

"If we perform like that we will pick up a lot of points between now and the end of the season.

"The team is looking really strong at the moment. Before the transfer window we were lacking a bit up front as Luis Suarez was almost having to do two jobs.

"But now Daniel Sturridge has come in and given us more options going forward. Daniel has done brilliantly for us so far.

"Not many sides go to Manchester City and completely dominant large parts of the game like we did. It's just disappointing that we weren't able to hang on and see the game out."

An Edin Dzeko tap-in gave City a 1-0 lead at the Etihad but that was cancelled out by Sturridge, who struck his fourth goal in Liverpool colours while Dzeko was floored 70 yards down the pitch.

The video you selected is only available to LFCTV Online members. You are now watching our Preview video, login or click here to sign up.
    Referee Anthony Taylor deemed Daniel Agger's challenge on the striker to not be a foul and the City man was not injured.

Speaking in the Liverpool Echo, Gerrard added: "To be honest I think most of our players didn't even know he (Dzeko) was staying down.

"There was nothing in the challenge from Daniel Agger and when we went forward the referee was shouting 'play on'.

"It's not the responsibility of the Liverpool players to stop the game, it's the referee's responsibility. If Man City feel aggrieved about that they should be talking to the referee."

sorry for clogging the thread lads but thought people would be interested in those updates....one way or another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Melion wrote: »
    Thats what i said.

Stevie was an automatic starter at that age because of a lack of options i think. If he was to break through nowadays then he would have a role similar to what Sterling had this season.

Sorry, disagree with that, he was an automatic starter because he was that good.

Really Shelvey is nowhere near him and never will be .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

gafferino wrote: »
    sorry for clogging the thread lads but thought people would be interested in those updates....one way or another!

No problem, Mate. Keep 'em coming.

Though I'll admit, I'm unhappy to have read that from Reina. He thinks he only has 3 Poor Matches? What about yesterday? Jesus...

Calling it Poor would be the Understatement of the Year. Bat-**** Insane would be more like it. I mean, WTF was he thinking? Skrtel was already there. He didn't even need to come out.

Sorry, but if Reina can't even give an Honest Assessment of himself, then there's no Hope for us and for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry, disagree with that, he was an automatic starter because he was that good.

Really Shelvey is nowhere near him and never will be .

Do you remember him playing at right back? He was not an automatic starter in midfield in his first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Maybe Shelvey will come good at right back and we can all look back and laugh at those crazy games he played in midfield.

Do you remember him playing at right back? He was not an automatic starter in midfield in his first season.

Remember him more playing Right wing than right back.

Being played out of position at start of career is not that strange as a player develops and club assess his best role.

I don't know what you're trying to get at but from very early days it was clear that Gerrard was something special.

Shelvey has not shown the same sort of talent or potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

There was people laughing at me in the pub cos I was screaming at Reina to "get back".

Then I saw it another couple of times and thought "maybe not his fault...fantastic bit of skill to score from there"

Now I've seen it a few more times and I think it's a bit of both...fantastic bit of skill AND Reina being a complete eejit.

Skrtel had it,he told Reina to stay put.

Reina is done. Game over.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Maybe Shelvey will come good at right back and we can all look back and laugh at those crazy games he played in midfield.

And then laugh at Reina, who thinks he's a Left Back being played out of position as a keeper!

Remember him more playing Right wing than right back.

Being player out of position at start of career is not that strange as a player develops and club assess his best role.

I don't what you're trying to get at but from very early days it was clear that Gerrard was something special.

Shelvey has not shown the same sort of talent or potential.

Stevie wasnt a regular in midfield until 2000 IIRC, Gary Mac IMO helped Stevies career an awful lot. If Redknapp wasnt a sicknote then i dont think Stevie would have been a regular that early.

Stevie wasnt a regular in midfield until 2000 IIRC, Gary Mac IMO helped Stevies career an awful lot. If Redknapp wasnt a sicknote then i dont think Stevie would have been a regular that early.

You do realise that he partnered Redknapp in his second season?

I really don't know what you're trying to prove here.

After the career that Gerrard had you're trying to say Shelvey is as good at the same age?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Irishkop Q&A with Dion Fanning - IrishKop.com http://www.irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22166

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I couldn't bring myself to Post yesterday, was too Livid at Reina and needed time to calm down. It didn't help that I'm Sick as hell, and still is.

I echo the sentiments of others, it's time for Liverpool and Pepe to partways in the Summer.
    I often wonder what this thread would be like in Bruce Grobbelars day.:D

Anytime Pepe has a brain fart like yesterday i just think of Bruce and i smile coz Pepe is still infinetely saner than Bruce:)

You do realise that he partnered Redknapp in his second season?

I really don't know what you're trying to prove here.

After the career that Gerrard had you're trying to say Shelvey is as good at the same age?

No, im saying that Gerrard wasnt world class in his first 2 seasons as some people will try to have you believe. Im sure that people wrote him off as a sicknote back in his early 20's when he was constantly out with back injuries.

Shelvey is 20 years old and is already being written off, ridiculous when you consider he has played about 50 games for Liverpool aswell as being an England international.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Redders could never have kept him out. Especially since he was a local kid, he would have forced his way ahead either way. And they played together quite a bit in his first season.

But I think people writing off Shelvey forget that Stevie was 19/20 before he played regularly. Shelvey is only 20 now, and has a lot more games under his belt. To dismiss him already is not fair. He's shown an eye for goal, he's got some steel in him, and he's got natural leadership skills. With the right coaching, and people like Stevie and Lucas around him, he could become a very accomplished box to box midfielder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't think Shelvey is going to get the chance to be honest, Henderson plus Coutinhos arrival (and Ince should be be signed) and the likely growth of players like Suso and Joao Carlos Teixeira could well shut off his development path.

mike65 wrote: »
    I don't think Shelvey is going to get the chance to be honest, Henderson plus Coutinhos arrival (and Ince should be be signed) and the likely growth of players like Suso and Joao Carlos Teixeira could well shut off his development path.

Suso has shown nothing at senior level to say he will be a superior player to Shelvey.

He will. Play him in the No 10 slot and not as a right sided attacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

If WBA is willing, I think we should Loan Shelvey there.

Clarke maybe able to bring out the Best in him. I can definitely see him Starting for that side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Morzadec wrote: »
    He has serious strength for his size, and that low centre of gravity makes it very difficult to knock off the ball.

He's 6'2".

He will. Play him in the No 10 slot and not as a right sided attacker.

He has to deal with Coutinho / Henderson now aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Suso should have gone to Wigwam on load if the option was there. He's not going to get enough game time in my opinion.

West Brom would be a good option for Shelvey and they can have Coates as well. It's such a shame for these players to not be getting enough experience.

He has to deal with Coutinho / Henderson now aswell.

True dat, my point is that I think Shelvey is likely to be at the bottom of the pecking order over the next few years. He may well end up have a great career with a solid middle ranking club rather than with Liverpool.

True dat, my point is that I think Shelvey is likely to be at the bottom of the pecking order over the next few years. He may well end up have a great career with a solid middle ranking club rather than with Liverpool.

If we were to let him go this summer then i genuinely believe it will come back to bite us in the arse in a few years time.

I don't see Shelvey fighting for the same spot as Coutinho or Suso, and Teixeira is miles away. Henderson and Shelvey are both competing for that Stevie role as the all action CM in front of a holding player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Am I being harsh to say that I wish Henderson showed some more confidence to drive with power/pace in certain situations? I think when he opens his legs on the run he can really eat up the ground driving forward but often checks back rather than lengthening his stride to try and drive through certain situations?

The ball from Sturridge over the top into his path when he had Suarez running up alongside comes to mind when I was just thinking, OK floor it. btw I think he has been generally great but I just think he has such great running ability that he could be a serious marauding threat if he was prepared to just power run with the ball a little more.

Opr

If we were to let him go this summer then i genuinely believe it will come back to bite us in the arse in a few years time.

Absolutely. The guy is 20 years old, he has appeared for England at every level, he has almost 100 appearances at Championship, PL or EL level, with over 20 goals from centre midfield.

Show me another player with those stats anywhere in Europe, and tell me that if they played for someone else, we wouldn't be interested...

Dickerty wrote: »
    Absolutely. The guy is 20 years old, he has appeared for England at every level, he has almost 100 appearances at Championship, PL or EL level, with over 20 goals from centre midfield.

Show me another player with those stats anywhere in Europe, and tell me that if they played for someone else, we wouldn't be interested...

If his name was Shelveynho a lot of people would feel differently about him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Writing Shelvey off is laughable. He has the raw tools in his locker, I'm convinced.

• Advertisement

opr wrote: »
    Am I being harsh to say that I wish Henderson showed some more confidence to drive with power/pace in certain situations? I think when he opens his legs on the run he can really eat up the ground driving forward but often checks back rather than lengthening his stride to try and drive through certain situations?

The ball from Sturridge over the top into his path when he had Suarez running up alongside comes to mind when I was just thinking, OK floor it. btw I think he has been generally great but I just think he has such great running ability that he could be a serious marauding threat if he was prepared to just power run with the ball a little more.

Opr

He probably has Rodgers voice in his head saying "don't give the ball away unnecessarily!". I'd say he's naturally low risk, compared to Stevie, Jonjo or any of the front 3...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

spockety wrote: »
    Writing Shelvey off is laughable. He has the raw tools in his locker, I'm convinced.

Yea but players like Shelvey and Borini seem reluctant to get there tools out, no matter how much Rodgers encourages them to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Opr

Totally agree. You can see from the last few games that he's gaining confidence game by game.

I think he's starting to realise(like the rest of us) that he's a lot better than he thought he was.

I think we might see the runs you talk of before much longer.

Isn't it amazing what a bit of confidence does for a player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Come Summer we should have cut the wages again, or at least made some money from players leaving, Jay Spearing, Danny Wilson, Carroll, Pacheco and Carragher maybe??

Yesterdays game was impressive, one of our best performances this season so far, glad that Sturridge is proving a lot of people wrong, hope his form continues, I guess 4th is out of reach unless Arsenal keep being dodgy at the back, Agent Rafa ruins Chelsea, Spurs stop scoring with lack of strikers and Everton start losing games. Would love a good run in the Europa league, would be enjoyable to see us get into the last 8 at least! The run to the end of the season looks good, all teams above us are home games and should hopefully get us a few points from them. It's a just a pity that we aren't playing again now till Monday!

Yea but players like Shelvey and Borini seem reluctant to get there tools out, no matter how much Rodgers encourages them to

Shelvey does - his problem is that he can't reign them in enough, the bombing forward and wild tackling.

I still haven't see enough of Borini to judge him...

Speak of the devil. Jonjo in training with England U21s today.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

My 1st gifs :D.
    Look at Agger shouting for offside and loses Džeko (just like he lost RVP vs United)

jbep.gif

jbjm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

My 1st gifs :D.
    Look at Agger shouting for offside and loses Džeko (just like he lost RVP vs United)

jbep.gif

jbjm.gif

I'd say that this was mostly good play by City (a bit like RVPs goal) although Agger is partially at fault for not getting to the ball before Džeko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Knowing what we know now about Skrtl and Agger, would anyone have taken £35-40m for the two of them this summer?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

PRAF wrote: »
    Knowing what we know now about Skrtl and Agger, would anyone have taken £35-40m for the two of them this summer?

Considering we would have a centre back partnership of 22 year olds going by transfer patterns, then no.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I love stuff like this.

Can you admit Gerrard had flattered to deceive by the majority in central midfield in the past for Liverpool including up to the beginning of December? Since then and only then has he been excellent. You make out like your the only the person who had faith in Gerrard turning around his multiple season slump for us, you weren't lol. I wasn't in that camp whatsoever myself, I didn't think he was done but I thought he was a passenger but all but for 60 minutes early doors - 45 mins vs City and 15 mins vs Everton. Being a gambler, I can separate sentiment. His position in the team was questionable for a period IMO. Captain or not. I'll forever stand by that.

You were in the wrong as well. Even Gerrard himself has commented on how poor he was for the first few months of the season despite yourself and one or two others making out he was doing very well.

I don't mind posters tooting their own horn, but those using it to get a dig at fellow supporters is quite cringe to say the least. You aren't the only one btw.

PRAF wrote: »

I suggested in the summer to being open to either one being sold, more so Skrtel out of the two. If reports were true, we were receiving their peak prices to be sold on for. Was fearful of an adequate replacement being brought in it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Totally agree. You can see from the last few games that he's gaining confidence game by game.

I think he's starting to realise(like the rest of us) that he's a lot better than he thought he was.

I think we might see the runs you talk of before much longer.

Isn't it amazing what a bit of confidence does for a player?

isn't it amazing what playing him in the right position does also
    he was harshly judge on his performance in a new team in a role he wasn't used to (right mid)
    the guy's got talent and a serious engine on him
    he's starting to settle in to the team and flex his muscles which will only get better with games
    yesterday was a sign of an improvement all around and if it wasn't for a dum mistake by Reina and Skirtle it would have been a good win

woodyg wrote: »
    isn't it amazing what playing him in the right position does also
    he was harshly judge on his performance in a new team in a role he wasn't used to (right mid)
    the guy's got talent and a serious engine on him
    he's starting to settle in to the team and flex his muscles which will only get better with games
    yesterday was a sign of an improvement all around and if it wasn't for a dum mistake by Reina and Skirtle it would have been a good win

He's actually playing a very similar role currently to the one he was asked to play under Kenny only on the other side. He was playing left mid yesterday. I won't be surprised either if he moves to right mid when we start playing Continho.

Opr

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »

The heck are you on about taking my medicine?

No one called Lucas a world beater as far as I can see, but he's a critical cog in the system Anyone who doesn't understand that is genuinely clueless. You give Gerrard all the freedom in the word, devoid of any criticism but like a bad rash, you're all over Lucas despite having come back from two major injuries. That is the most evident thing about yourself and a couple of others.

As for predicting the end of Gerrard for Sahin? Find me a quote saying exactly that. There's a MASSIVE difference for wanting someone to start (me wanting Sahin to start) and believing he will start. I even said as much that it'll probably take Gerrard being injured for Sahin to start. Lucas has to start.

No, I didn't call Sturridge brainless. I called him utterly selfish based on his play at Chelsea, and as for, so suck it up like a man when your wrong.. Pfft, jog on. 1 months worth of games is enough to fully convince you, not me. I've been enjoying the humble pie so far, and said exactly that 2 weeks ago. Once again, trawl through my posts if you so wish instead of putting words in my mouth heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

It's quite funny actually to compare the tactics in the City game to how Dalglish used to set his teams up in his most successful days as Liverpool manager. It's also identical to how Rodgers set us up against City and Norwich. I wish he hadn't changed it against Arsenal as I think it's now nailed as our best formation/tactics/team.

Kenny generally played with a 4-4-2 which had attacking fullbacks, a holding midfielder, creative midfielder, a winger on one flank and then a more tucked in orthodox midfielder on the other flank. Deep lying number 7 with an out and out striker ahead. Almost exactly the way we played to a tea yesterday.
    Tactically Kenny Dalglish's system essentially followed the same model established by Bob Paisley: a basic 4-4-2 with a genuine winger (John Barnes) on one flank and a more tucked-in midfielder on the other (Ray Houghton), and a deep-lying forward (Peter Beardsley in the role Dalglish himself once occupied) off a hard-working front man who worked across the line. Both full-backs were encouraged to push on, and at least one of the centre‑backs had licence to stride out with the ball into midfield.

Kenny would have bought Downing as the winger, Henderson as the tucked in midfielder on the flank. Suarez as the number 7 with Carroll ahead. Lucas holding with Gerrard going box to box.

Funny that Rodgers has landed on his exact system with them all being used in those roles bar Carroll. Henderson playing as the tucked in wide man. Downing holding the width. Gerrard/Lucas midfield with the tweaking of having a much more mobile front man in Sturridge ahead of Suarez.

Jordan Henderson may have taken time to settle in but the huge improvement that has been seen in him will have been in no small part to the amount of time we spent watching him last season learning the same role he's currently being deployed in this season.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Originally Posted by Sir Gallagher He can't cross a ball and for a pro footballer that's shocking.

Fkin Reina and Agger, two senior players making mistakes like that is just unacceptable. I've love Reina over the years but honestly, see you later pal. Agger needs a serious kick up the hole too he's looking like a seriously average player of late..

]
    joe123 wrote: »
    This kind of attitude is gas. Fans constantly complain about loyalty yadda yadda yadda...yet fans dont realise how easy they are to be like "yeah thanks but no thanks". Fans showing no loyalty.

Why do fans think players should show loyalty to a club they have no real affinity for if the fans are just as quick to forget about players whos form drops.

Just a thought for the next time Suarez or someone joins Barcelona/Read Madrid etc.

Showing no loyalty? To Reina or Agger? More or less everyone is agreed that Reina would be best moving on and how is saying Agger needs a kick up the hole not showing loyalty? Should we be good little fans and be ever so grateful to these players for not leaving when the had the chance? Bollox to that, theyre open to criticism like anyone else who isnt playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

It's quite funny actually to compare the tactics in the City game to how Dalglish used to set his teams up in his most successful days as Liverpool manager. It's also identical to how Rodgers set us up against City and Norwich. I wish he hadn't changed it against Arsenal as I think it's now nailed as our best formation/tactics/team.

Kenny generally played with a 4-4-2 which had attacking fullbacks, a holding midfielder, creative midfielder, a winger on one flank and then a more tucked in orthodox midfielder on the other flank. Deep lying number 7 with an out and out striker ahead. Almost exactly the way we played to a tea yesterday.

Kenny would have bought Downing as the winger, Henderson as the tucked in midfielder on the flank. Suarez as the number 7 with Carroll ahead. Lucas holding with Gerrard going box to box.

Funny that Rodgers has landed on his exact system with them all being used in those roles bar Carroll. Henderson playing as the tucked in wide man. Downing holding the width. Gerrard/Lucas midfield with the tweaking of having a much more mobile front man in Sturridge ahead of Suarez.

Jordan Henderson may have taken time to settle in but the huge improvement that has been seen in him will have been in no small part to the amount of time we spent watching him last season learning the same role he's currently being deployed in this season.

Opr

I was watching the game in the pub yesterday and stated pretty much the exact same thing to the barman who was harping on about henderson hiding out on the left wing!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement