Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Vanolder wrote: »
    Newcastle have signed Debuchy from Lille. Another astute signing and scouting mission by them. Meanwhile we persist with British rejects.
    but Newcastle are doing terrible this season
    ive seen Debuchy plenty of times too
    good RB but Johnson is way better

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Are Newcastle seriously going to sell Ba for that price. I would have thought he is much more valuable

He has a sell on clause in contract at 7million, negotiated when his knee was a worry to them. He is good value at that price, but would want massive wages to make up for the cheap asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Newcastle have signed Debuchy from Lille. Another astute signing and scouting mission by them. Meanwhile we persist with British rejects.

just over £5m if reports are correct. Very useful player but not one we would need

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Jordan: How I beat bug to play

Jordan Henderson has revealed the bug which forced Brendan Rodgers to miss the 3-0 win over QPR also struck him on Saturday night - but admitted the lure of putting on a starting shirt was too great to miss.

The England U21 captain managed to play for just over an hour and gave a fine display as the Reds produced a brilliant performance to sink Harry Redknapp's bottom-of-the-table side.

Henderson said: "I was close to not playing. I had a bad stomach and was sick on Saturday night, which is unusual for me as I'm normally never sick. I caught the bug a few people and the boss got, but I love playing football and I want to play every chance I get for this club.

"There's a lot of competition for places at this club so when you are given the opportunity you can't let anything get in the way so I was pleased to be able to play.

"The coaches just said to me see how you feel in the warm-up. I felt okay so I managed to play for an hour which I'm pleased with.

"I got a text from my dad saying I looked white when I came off, but I feel fine and hopefully will be ready for the next game now against Sunderland."

Henderson received a great ovation from the travelling Kop when he made way for Lucas, and he was keen to acknowledge their support.

"Our fans are brilliant," he added.

"They travel home and away in their thousands and we really appreciate that. They are so passionate and we are very pleased to get this win for them."

Reflecting on the win at Loftus Road, Henderson admitted it was important to banish the memory of Boxing Day and look forward to trying to start a new winning run.

He explained: "Many people could see we put in a good performance at QPR. We played some really good football, defended really well, scored some good goals so overall we are delighted.

"It's always good to bounce back from a defeat with a win in your next game and it was a good test of character for us.

"We just have to keep working hard and keep progressing. I definitely think we are getting better. We've just got to take each game as it comes and keep that winning mentality."

Liverpool's No.14 also had words of praise for Luis Suarez who took his tally to 16 goals for the season with a brace in another fantastic display.

Henderson said: "Luis is brilliant. He is brilliant every day in training and brilliant in every game. It is just a pleasure to play with him."

The Reds will start 2013 with an Anfield clash against Henderson's former club Sunderland, and the midfielder is hoping to get the nod and keep his place in the starting XI.

He added: "It's another big game for us against Sunderland who have been doing quite well of late and they beat Manchester City.

"Sunderland will always have a special place in my heart but we are confident we can do well and get the right result."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote: »
    A stat which may surprise -

Liverpool v bottom half of table average 2.30 points per game and 4th in table
    Liverpool v top half of the table average 0.50 points per game and 17th in table

So the idea that Liverpool chokes against weaker opposition is frankly nonsense this season. Liverpool top the away table against the bottom half with 2.50 PPG.

I think that that originates from folk considering the likes of Swansea, West Brom and Stoke to be bottom half teams - or certainly expected them to be at the start of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Kess73 wrote: »
    Nice three points yesterday, and no player lacked for effort. Henderson in particular worked his arse off.

One or two ineffective performers but they tried hard at least.

Despite the win, our soft centre was still very easy to spot yesterday just as it was during the game against Fulham. QPR, like Fulham, just did not have the players to exploit that soft centre due to them having an even softer one.

In the second half QPR tried to press harder and get stuck in a little more, and despite them being pretty awful in the centre it was very noticeable that our centre shrank a little in the face of that pressing.

As said a good few times already this season after coming back from games, we have a big wide open space that seems to start just beyond the half way line and it continues right to the edge of our 18 yard box. It is easy enough to spot from the stands, and our recent hidings at the hands of Stoke and Villa all saw those teams get control of the game through that corridor.

Our much lamented lack of real steel will continue to be a problem for as long as we only have the current pool of midfielders to chose from.

Sunderland will provide a stiffer challenge imho, and as a team we will need to be up for it from the first whistle. Am fairly confident against them though mainly due to one depressing stat. That stat being that we have not once beaten a team above us in the league this season but more often than not are capable of handling the teams below us with a degree of comfort.

Looks like we will get a glimpse of Sturridge on Wednesday. Am not sold on the guy at all, but with any luck he will prove the doubters like myself wrong over the course of his Liverpool career, and not turn out to be another turkey purchase in front of goal like Carroll turned out to be.

I do think that a Sturridge style player would have had a field day yesterday as a tad more power and speed in the final third would have seen us stretch their defence far more than we did.

Think my favourite part of yesterday was Enrique bullying the shyte out of QPR's right flank. Wright- Philips discovered early doors that Enrique could run in a straight line as quickly as W-P could, but Enrique also had the strength to treat W-P with a degree of disdain once they came shoulder to shoulder.

Nice touch by the QPR keeper to come to the Liverpool support to give his gloves away. He and Lucas were having a great chat at the final whistle.

Taarabt looked very good when he decided to run through the centre. The guy has a lot of talent, but it was hard to tell if he was as good as he looked or if it was partially down to us having a big open corridor down our spine.

Mbia was an utter shytehouse all game. Falling down at the slightest touch, moaning, and pretty much being a cowardly spoiler all game. Seems to have become a totally different player to what he was a few seasons ago. He was an aggressive win at all costs centre back at Marseilles, now he is a whining diving waste of a team place. Struck me as a player that simply does not want to be there and who does not care who knows.

And a big hello to Mark, a boardise who was on the flight back to Cork last night. Always an odd experience when someone "recognises" you from the internet :D Have forgotten your username Mark, but if your posting style is anything like how you came across irl, then I hope you stop lurking and start posting more despite you supporting that lot :p. Was an absolute pleasure to get to listen to someone as passionate (not to mention as articulate) about sport as you.

Roll on Wednesday morning and the start of another trip home to see either another hefty win or another hefty loss (we just don't seem to half any middle ground of late).

I need a win though. Yesterday's game was against a team led by a manager I don't like, and Wednesday's game is against a team led by a manager I pretty much loathe (well at least as much as one can loathe a person they don't actually know :D, although with O' Neill I do know ehre my frankly irrational dislike comes from). Losing always leaves a bitter taste, but when the team is led by a manager one dislikes, then it really becomes the regurgitated cherry atop a cake of sh1t.

Fair play. Any particular reason why he gave his gloves into the crowd? Love to see this kind of stuff at games.

Fair play. Any particular reason why he gave his gloves into the crowd? Love to see this kind of stuff at games.

No idea as to why he gave his gloves to the away support. The only thing that came to mind was that it was to do with Lucas as they spent a bit of time chatting after the final whistle. Might have been to a kid that Lucas knew would be at the game or something like that.

gafferino wrote: »
    Jordan: How I beat bug to play

Jordan Henderson has revealed the bug which forced Brendan Rodgers to miss the 3-0 win over QPR also struck him on Saturday night - but admitted the lure of putting on a starting shirt was too great to miss.

The England U21 captain managed to play for just over an hour and gave a fine display as the Reds produced a brilliant performance to sink Harry Redknapp's bottom-of-the-table side.

Henderson said: "I was close to not playing. I had a bad stomach and was sick on Saturday night, which is unusual for me as I'm normally never sick. I caught the bug a few people and the boss got, but I love playing football and I want to play every chance I get for this club.

"There's a lot of competition for places at this club so when you are given the opportunity you can't let anything get in the way so I was pleased to be able to play.

"The coaches just said to me see how you feel in the warm-up. I felt okay so I managed to play for an hour which I'm pleased with.

"I got a text from my dad saying I looked white when I came off, but I feel fine and hopefully will be ready for the next game now against Sunderland."

Henderson received a great ovation from the travelling Kop when he made way for Lucas, and he was keen to acknowledge their support.

"Our fans are brilliant," he added.

"They travel home and away in their thousands and we really appreciate that. They are so passionate and we are very pleased to get this win for them."

Reflecting on the win at Loftus Road, Henderson admitted it was important to banish the memory of Boxing Day and look forward to trying to start a new winning run.

He explained: "Many people could see we put in a good performance at QPR. We played some really good football, defended really well, scored some good goals so overall we are delighted.

"It's always good to bounce back from a defeat with a win in your next game and it was a good test of character for us.

"We just have to keep working hard and keep progressing. I definitely think we are getting better. We've just got to take each game as it comes and keep that winning mentality."

Liverpool's No.14 also had words of praise for Luis Suarez who took his tally to 16 goals for the season with a brace in another fantastic display.

Henderson said: "Luis is brilliant. He is brilliant every day in training and brilliant in every game. It is just a pleasure to play with him."

The Reds will start 2013 with an Anfield clash against Henderson's former club Sunderland, and the midfielder is hoping to get the nod and keep his place in the starting XI.

He added: "It's another big game for us against Sunderland who have been doing quite well of late and they beat Manchester City.

"Sunderland will always have a special place in my heart but we are confident we can do well and get the right result."

I think it shows how hard it is to get into our midfield team. I was delighted that he got on well. He had a couple of half chances and an assist. Deserves to be ahead of Shelvey in the pecking order for Sunderland now.

No idea as to why he gave his gloves to the away support. The only thing that came to mind was that it was to do with Lucas as they spent a bit of time chatting after the final whistle. Might have been to a kid that Lucas knew would be at the game or something like that.

He gave the gloves to a particular supporter? A nice touch for sure.

Henderson has impressed me in most games he's played in this season.

No idea why he doesn't get more opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think that that originates from folk considering the likes of Swansea, West Brom and Stoke to be bottom half teams - or certainly expected them to be at the start of the team.

Given that top and bottom half teams are moveable feasts throughout the season its probably not worth reading too much into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Melion wrote: »
    So you know something as fact yet you are trying to believe an article full of lies just to try and have a dig at the manager?

I don't know it as fact, only the people who were involved in or witnessed the conversation know it as fact, Assiadi could have easily made a mistake when he was being interviewed.

The word if is also important in my post, I didn't try and have a dig at him. There appears to be something wrong with the transfer and 'IF' that something is the managers ego getting in the way of giving a player a fair chance, and in the process harming the players career, possibly impacting upon the success of the team, and cheating the fans then he rightly deserves to be called up on it.

And ditch the aggressive attitude man, it can't be healthy to be so angry all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

just over £5m if reports are correct. Very useful player but not one we would need

Not saying we needed him as such, just how they go about their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I just wish Turtyturd would stop with "The Rodgers" its not big or clever or funny or anything beyond ****ing annoying.

Very much this. Nothing in any way humorous or clever about it. I cringe when I see it - it's so childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Read the Stevie G book over Christmas. The old one which ends up around 2007. Didn't realise he was so passionate about England. I thought most scousers were indifferent at best about the three lions!

Comes across as a nice guy, very driven, very talented, very family oriented, etc.

Really rates the likes of Carra, Sami, Didi, Gary Mac, etc.

For England he bigs up Shearer, Becks, Scholes, etc. He also bigs up Keane and Viera as opponents he really learned from.

Shows disdain for Diao, Diouf and not much love for Westerveld and Pennant

One thing I was not surprised about was he really sees himself as a CM. frequently mentions examples where he plays brilliantly as an AM, RW, or 2nd striker but yet fails to make the connection that he is better in those roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

PRAF wrote: »
    • his knees would explode, guaranteed, within 5 mins of walking onto anfield
    • even if that didnt happen, hed agitate for a move within 18 months

As regards the second one, if he helped us back into the champions league I wouldnt care, & we'd hardly be able to make a loss on him in 18 months time if his form continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Kess how did the guy recognise you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

you think liverpool should sign a new right back :confused:

Leiva wrote: »

Size and ink he said, and then my accent once he heard me speak.

The fact I turned my head when he said Kess might have been a giveaway also. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

copacetic wrote: »

He has a sell on clause in contract at 7million, negotiated when his knee was a worry to them. He is good value at that price, but would want massive wages to make up for the cheap asking.
    Newcastle missed out there so. Any premiership team would take him for 7m. So he will probably have his pick of teams and massive wages. Chelsea would make sense as they have no backup if sturridge goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Big - tall - tattoos, I reckon. Quite possibly sitting beside an equally big, tall, tattood person. Potentially speaking with a mangled accent (:pac:) He's said it a few times :p

Edit: Yup, apparently so.

Knex. wrote: »
    Big - tall - tattoos, I reckon. Quite possibly sitting beside an equally big, tall, tattood person. Potentially speaking with a mangled accent (:pac:) He's said it a few times :p

Edit: Yup, apparently so.

My brother has no ink, but he is a tad over 6'5 alright with a non beanpole build. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Crap, he's been brilliant the last 2 months. On the flip side we have Wisdom ready to return and Glenjo can switch to the left.

Crap, Downing stays I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Robinson seems to have disappeared into the ether. Is he injured?

Would imagine it will be for a lot longer than a month if the tear is severe. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I hear Zidane's young lad is having a trial with us as real madrid are letting him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Crap, Downing stays I guess.

I think he was always going to stay as he has been playing the last few games.

Wisdom at RB and Johnson at LB?

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »

I think he was always going to stay as he has been playing the last few games.

I was thinking that maybe BR was trying to offload him in January and giving him a few games to attract other clubs. If he keeps trying then good to keep him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Ba would be angling to leave again in 18 months, his agent is a chancer, Liverpool have said they will no longer be held to ransom.

Who cares if he leaves again.

If it helps shoot us up the table for the short time he'd be at the club it would be great.

For anything less than £10m, it would be a no brainer.

We'd get it back if he did want to move on.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Vicxas wrote: »
    According to SSN, Ba had very unconvincing talks with Chelski yesterday.

Should we make a cheeky bid for him?

Yes. I don't care if we have him for just a single season so long as he scores in that time! Majority of footballers are mercenaries. Not gonna worry over another one for the sake of worrying.

He's okay. Nothing on Johnson though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

One player I think we could get on the cheap would be Granero.

Could be available at a cut price. Harry doesn't seem to like him.

Might be a better option than Sahin in the summer.

Kinda reminds me of the Mascherano situation at West Ham.

I know he's been poor for QPR so far but I think we'd see the best of him in a better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I was thinking that maybe BR was trying to offload him in January and giving him a few games to attract other clubs. If he keeps trying then good to keep him.

I would find it strange to play a player that you deem not good enough to be in first 11 just with a view of selling him.

That's a a selling clubs mentality that wants to sell it's better players for profit and we're not at that stage....yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

djPSB wrote: »
    One player I think we could get on the cheap would be Granero.

Could be available at a cut price. Harry doesn't seem to like him.

Might be a better option than Sahin in the summer.

Kinda reminds me of the Mascherano situation at West Ham.

I know he's been poor for QPR so far but I think we'd see the best of him in a better team.

Think he'd be about code orange on the risk scale. Hasn't played > 20 league games (starts+subs) for the past 3 years while picking up decent money at the same time. Attitude has been questionable at QPR, hasn't looked particularly pumped for a relegation scrap. Obviously there is ability there but imo you're taking quite a large gamble and wouldn't be the cheapest one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Whats the story with sturridge is it done and dusted with just formalities to complete at this stage or what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

slingerz wrote: »
    Whats the story with sturridge is it done and dusted with just formalities to complete at this stage or what

Nothing can happen until tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

id still rate granero, and if we can get him cheap then could be a good squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

retalivity wrote: »
    id still rate granero, and if we can get him cheap then could be a good squad player.

I would think that BR is going to thread very carefully over the next few weeks in transfer market. He does not need another failure on the books and fans will use it to beat him up over it.

• Advertisement

So we give Chelsea £12million and they buy Demba Ba and pay Torres wage for a year out of the change, and we get Sturridge.

.................................cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's cool, Demba Ba has bad knees and likes money for goals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

What about Benteke at Villa , anyone rate him as a striker option?
    . looked good when we played them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

While I like Sturridge, im willing to bet there is no other team in the world who would pay £12m for him. We should hav offered about £8m probably £10m at a real push. The other side of the coin is if he comes here and scores goals that price will be quickly forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

While I like Sturridge, im willing to bet there is no other team in the world who would pay £12m for him. We should hav offered about £8m probably £10m at a real push. The other side of the coin is if he comes here and scores goals that price will be quickly forgotten

Are we actually in for Sturridge, as we've heard nothing official about the signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Think he'd be about code orange on the risk scale. Hasn't played > 20 league games (starts+subs) for the past 3 years while picking up decent money at the same time. Attitude has been questionable at QPR, hasn't looked particularly pumped for a relegation scrap. Obviously there is ability there but imo you're taking quite a large gamble and wouldn't be the cheapest one either.

To be fair to Granero, most of that was at Madrid where he was competing with Alonso, Khedira, Kaka, etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

So we give Chelsea £12million and they buy Demba Ba and pay Torres wage for a year out of the change, and we get Sturridge.

.................................cool.

Yes because its certain we know how much Chelsea are offering him in wages, signing on fees etc. And of course the fact that we know Ba would of loved to have joined us.

Another perfect example of people thinking they know what goes on behind the scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He seemed good in the few matches I've seen him play in. Wouldn't say no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Seen him play a couple of times, haven't seen anything particularly special.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement