Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough/Good Areas (reprisal)

Options
  • 30-12-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Ok, so I can use searches to look for information, but the vast majority seems to be up to 8 years old. A lot can change in that time, so I was hoping to get some more up to date information.

I'm a student looking (to share with two friends) for accommodation for the new year. I was abroad for three months, and accommodation is looking tricky at the moment. I'm a trinity student and I managed to stick to Dublin 2 for the past 2 years, so call me soft or whatever you want.

Pretty much all of the places which fall into our price range and distance range are in D1 and D3. So, what are everyone's thoughts on areas like East Wall, Fairview, Mountjoy, Drumcondra, Phibsborough, North Strand, North Cicular, Parnell Sq and so on. (I know there's some overlap there)

Consider students who won't be out late much, but will on occasion. Who would probably be walking/bussing back at 10pm+ carrying a laptop.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I've lived just off the Clonliffe Road for a year and a half now (we're on the edge of Drumcondra & Fairview) and never encountered a problem. Our neighbours are a bit of a pain this year with noise etc. but that's not an area problem!

I'd definitely recommend anywhere in Drumcondra (overall a very nice area) and along the Clonliffe Road area over to Fairview. The Mountjoy area and parts of North Circular Road is usually fine but it would be a bit more "dodgy" than Drumcondra. You'll encounter many types but if you stay out of someone's way there should be no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I wouldn't rule out D8 op, similar price and potentially shorter distance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

D8 is fine in general...(run like a scalded cat if offered anything on Eugene Street).
    Cork Street in general is great for public transport / has a LIDL and a grand little Centra. You're a short walk from the Coombe proper where bargains galore are to be had.

Although for ease of access (read walking distance) into town, James Hospital should be your western border

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sweeping generalisations about certain areas are not acceptable. Likewise, stating that "X is a ****hole, so is Y" is pointless. Please back up your preferences for a place to live with a reason.

Thanks,

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Having walked through many of those areas at night, I would have a distinct preference for Fairview or Drumcondra in terms of being in a quiet & safe neighbourhood. There's never been anything serious in the other areas, but it's my personal opinion that they just aren't as nice a place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Of the places you mentioned (and speaking in very general terms):
    East Wall - some parts can be a bit rough

Fairview - great transport into town

Mountjoy - don't know well enough

Drumcondra - great, lively area, lots of students, very close to town

Phibsborough - not dissimilar to drumcondra

North Strand - not sure

North Circular - closer to town than drumcondra so would be noisier but easier to get to. Many apartments on NCR are quite run-down & poorly maintained, so view it before putting money down!

Consider D8, and also north along the DART line (clontarf, howth, raheny).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Lived in Drumcondra for a while, near the train station, really nice area. Even when the place is flooded with people for Sunday GAA atmosphere is jovial and safe.

Also lived in differnt parts of D8 for a while, thats not a place thats easy to generalize. I never felt safe living off Meath street. (but nothing to bad ever happened in truth)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Fairview is fine, it's age and appearance gives it a slightly run down and rough look when it isn't, loads of buses into town, a decent stretch of shops, Gaffney's is a fine boozer ( the other's are a bit clannish and dull ), Westwood Gym and Clontarf are walking distance, carvery in The Yacht on Clontarf Road is second to none.

Lived there for a spell with no hassle from anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rented on Clonliffe Rd in a terraced house for 2 years

100cc scooter parked inside the gate and it was vandalized twice.
    You'll get that anywhere, can't own a bike without a teenager having a go.

It was a house split into flats.

Front door kicked in one night and the downstairs flat robbed by two Eastern European lads.

Ballybough has a reputation and it's full of dark laneways but I never had a problem and walked through at all hours back to Clonliffe.

I never felt unsafe walking around Drumcondra, Ballybough, Fairview, North Strand. All are fine

Just my experience

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

I live in Glasnevin and walking home regularly at 3:30 am from town through either Phisborough or deumcondra I have never ever had a problem. Phisborough tends to be more in flats, less Irish people leaving there traditionally however Irish appear to live there recently. Personally I would live in phisborough as there is less owner occupited homes.

My parents are landlords in drumcondra when certain areas were all residential and not rented yet. And everything some bad went wrong eg a car door damaged we got a phone call telling us that the tenants were causing serious issues when it wasn't them.

My parents have several properties in Dublin 7,9,11 and the only time there was stuff robbed it was because they left the window open or not locked. If you are of colour at all avoid areas with council housing as non-nationals tend not to welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

...If you are of colour at all avoid areas with council housing as non-nationals tend not to welcome

Seriously, what part of "Sweeping generalisations" in my earlier warning did you not understand?

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Hi everyone, thanks for your input. The general consensus seems to be Drumcondra and Fairview are the nicest places. Friends have found places in Drumcondra and Phibsborough. Having now walked through Drumcondra a bit I do quite like it, but keeping my options open still. No thoughts on East Wall? There are a couple of prospective places there.

Thanks!

Heggy wrote: »
    Hi everyone, thanks for your input. The general consensus seems to be Drumcondra and Fairview are the nicest places. Friends have found places in Drumcondra and Phibsborough. Having now walked through Drumcondra a bit I do quite like it, but keeping my options open still. No thoughts on East Wall? There are a couple of prospective places there.

Thanks!

The trouble with East Wall is that it's actually a bit isolated (I know strange considering how close it is to town).

There are no supermarkets in the area, pubs are fairly thin on the ground and public transport into town can be a bit patchy.

In a nutshell, its not the worst spot in town to live but there are better (read more amenities and better public transport options) spots out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I live in Stoneybatter and I have to say it's great for getting into town and there are lots of buses too including the 39a to UCD. There's lots of takeaways, a 24 hour Centra which is a godsend and some pretty decent pubs too. There can be dodgy looking people hanging around the street but they are mostly harmless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just fyi, I know its not much use at the moment, but Aldi are opening on East Wall Rd in the next few months. Dunnes @ The Point should hopefully be open soon as well. Good news for the area, as said already, its got a major lack of amenities, so hopefully that will improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Heggy wrote: »
    East Wall, Fairview, Mountjoy, Drumcondra, Phibsborough, North Strand, North Cicular, Parnell Sq and so on. (I know there's some overlap there)

Out of these areas, I would have no problem in any of them perhaps except East Wall or North Strand.

Would probably also avoid the Summerhill end of NCR.

My opinion, of course.

Drumcondra would be the nicest place to live out of all of them. Phibsborough is also grand.

MarkMc wrote: »
    Just fyi, I know its not much use at the moment, but Aldi are opening on East Wall Rd in the next few months. Dunnes @ The Point should hopefully be open soon as well. Good news for the area, as said already, its got a major lack of amenities, so hopefully that will improve

OT but are they finally building it? Hasn't that been on the backburner for a good few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

pithater1 wrote: »

OT but are they finally building it? Hasn't that been on the backburner for a good few years?

Been under construction for a few months, it'll be finished by summer

Advertisement