Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's Shed

Options
  • 30-12-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey Everyone

http://www.menssheds.ie/find-a-shed/

Has anyone being to one of these evening in galway? Not sure if they all do the same thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've seen it mentioned here and there. Perhaps you can post more about what it does?
    For instance, what can one expect to happen on a Men's shed evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

all i heard about them was that it was for unemployed people that wanted to use their skills. Just wondering if anyone has gone to them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Token post about sexist nature of such a venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A friend is part of one in Galway and really likes it.

Nothings to stop people setting up a 'sister' project -'womens' workshop' or whatever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

inisboffin wrote: »
    A friend is part of one in Galway and really likes it.

Nothings to stop people setting up a 'sister' project -'womens' workshop' or whatever! :D

That's what the ICA is for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

That sounds really straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Some organisations think they are entitled to exclude on the basis of gender...mens-sheds, ICA etc. and nobody says a word but just put "white" in front of those words and brace for the **** storm, backward world is backward,

Enough of the indignation and gender stuff thanks. Focus on the positive aspect of this group and we'll leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

they like sheds

That's what the ICA is for.

You're joking I assume? Don't think they're too similar, but I'm not totally familiar with either!

My friend gets a lot out of the men's shed. Seems to be a good mix of ages and background.

• Advertisement

I could see it being very positive. I'm sure lots of men would benefit from a drink free social environment and the fact that it'd be a mix of ages could bring a lot to the experience. Every generation really would be the better for understanding other generations a little more. Much to be gained for everyone even just on that score.

I am female incidentally!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    You're joking I assume? Don't think they're too similar, but I'm not totally familiar with either!

Well, from the Mens Shed's website:
    Men’s Shed is any community-based, non-commercial organisation which is open to all men where the primary activity is the provision of a safe, friendly and inclusive environment where the men are able to gather and/or work on meaningful projects at their own pace, in their own time and in the company of other men and where the primary objective is to advance the health and well- being of the participating men. Men’s sheds may look like a shed in you back yard yet they innovatively share some characteristics of both community education and health promotion projects.

And from the ICA:
    The ICA is the largest membership organisation of women in Ireland. Fun, Friendship and Support are at the heart of everything we do. Started in 1910 the ICA has been a common factor in the lives of Irish women for the last hundred years in our largest cities and in our smallest villages. We meet in 560 Guilds all over the country and each Guild is autonomous. Our members determine the annual activities of the Guild

Sounds pretty similar to me.

Sure they do different stuff, and one's a bit older ... but the same gig really. At this stage in their organisation's lives, Mens Shed's are probably a bit better at being open and welcoming to anyone who wants to take part ... that's probably the biggest difference, I'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Why was it given the name of shed may I ask? :confused:

Sounds pretty similar to me.

Sure they do different stuff, and one's a bit older ... but the same gig really. At this stage in their organisation's lives, Mens Shed's are probably a bit better at being open and welcoming to anyone who wants to take part ... that's probably the biggest difference, I'd guess.

Interesting comparison from the websites, I take your point, but the blurbs, particularly the latter, are fairly generic "join our club - we are friendly". As I said, no expert on the inner workings of either, just know some involved in both, and a colleague has done workshops with ICA members. Based on that I'd see them as pretty different, despite the PR.
    As you mentioned, diversity in age/politics/background mix probably being the biggest difference visible to me.

Why was it given the name of shed may I ask? :confused:

What's wrong with calling it a shed? Sheds are places where men can hang out informally, and where most men would feel comfortable.

If you looked on their website, you'd know that they're influenced by the Australian mens sheds movement, who say:

"The modern Men’s Shed is an updated version of the shed in the backyard that has long been a part of Australian culture. Men’s Sheds are springing up all around Australia. If you looked inside one you might see a number of men restoring furniture, perhaps restoring bicycles for a local school, maybe making Mynah bird traps or fixing lawn mowers or making a kids cubby house for Camp Quality to raffle."

ref: http://www.mensshed.org/what-is-a-men's-shed/.aspx

If you looked on their website, you'd know that they're influenced by the Australian mens sheds movement, who say:

I was thinking it was an Australian thing. At a risk of putting everyone off here, they have one in Neighbours . :)

I'd associate a "shed" with cattle and turf and troughs and hay and silage and himacs and trailers and balers. :)

I'd associate a "shed" with cattle and turf and troughs and hay and silage and himacs and trailers and balers. :)

Exactly... manly pursuits! :)

Another association...remember all those English sitcoms where the 'garden shed' is where the hubby escapes to for a bit of down time, a sneaky smoke, or to play with his hornby railway set! :)

Well yeah ya see that would be a garden-storage-shed alright not a farm-shed. :) Yeah a Workshop would be a nice name for it alright rather than a shed. I.M.O. :)

• Advertisement

Some Irish people just don't get the informal thing ... :)

I guess if the organisation find that some of it's potential members don't want to join just 'cos of the name, they might change it for the Irish context, when they're ready.

In the meantime, I hear they're doing good stuff for blokes with not a cow in sight ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

On a semi related note, I came across this on wikipedia the other day
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_cave

Can't believe it's actually a real life thing.

On a semi related note, I came across this on wikipedia the other day
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_cave

Can't believe it's actually a real life thing.

Of course it's real. Just like man-flu!

Some Irish people just don't get the informal thing ... :)

I guess if the organisation find that some of it's potential members don't want to join just 'cos of the name, they might change it for the Irish context, when they're ready.

In the meantime, I hear they're doing good stuff for blokes with not a cow in sight ....

Chill Mrs. O Bumble. Chillax! I'm just having the craic with ya. :) It doesn't really bother me what they call it. Afterall they're perfectly entitled to name it whatever the heck they so wish! There's no doubt in my mind they'll do well with equal measures of work and effort inputted.

As for the cattle I think the men could have been up at 6am bringing them up to the milking-parlour at the back of the shed there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

That's a whole lot of talk from people who haven't bothered to check it out in person.

I've read about it, don't know if it's for me but I'd be all for hearing about it from people who actually know what they're talking about.

I'm going to bump this as I'm interested in a shed group where there is motor fixing and general car detailing done locally.
    Cumann na bhFear seems to be focusing on more Irish heritage skills like carpentry and bee-keeping etc.
    Or if someone with a largish garage is interested in meeting and exchanging car skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I popped over the the opening of the Tuam Men's Shed the other night as my father was involved in it's set-up.

Physically it's two area's, a fairly large work-shop, fitted out mainly with donated wood-working equipment and other tools, quite a few nice looking project in progress and a second area, a cross between a library with comfy couches and a canteen with a very well used kettle.

The bunch of guy's there were very friendly and interested in each other, shooting the breeze and discussing just about anything that came up. They don't seem to take things (or themselves) too seriously, a good environment, stress free and very open.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I heard they were trying to set one up in Doughiska but I don't think it's got that far. They were talking about including things like woodworking etc. But not heard an update in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mackjark

I've heard about it and I think it's great idea. Men generally don't have same outlets as women unless it's the pub/Golf or some obscure hobby. Also men don't have the same kind of friendships women have. I think a lot of men can be quite isolated unless they have some outlet. Better than drinking down at the pub.

It wouldn't be my cup of tea though.

Advertisement