Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's Shed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mackjark wrote: »
    It wouldn't be my cup of tea though.
    What would be your cup of tea? The potential is huge for what could be accomplished between a group of men with a variety of skills and interests. I've found some people aren't seeing the full potential and are asking if it'll be teaching basic skills e.g carpentry, how to hang a door was suggested. I think a lot of men going into these clubs could have worked on major building sites, have backgrounds in electronics, may want to learn some more advanced skills like robotics, or advanced engineering skills, how to use milling machines.

As you can see the skys the limit with those kinds of skills intermingling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm not male so I am not asking for myself,though I'm curious to know, who turns up to this? Is there a variety of ages or backgrounds or is there a typical attendee?

I'm not male so I am not asking for myself,though I'm curious to know, who turns up to this? Is there a variety of ages or backgrounds or is there a typical attendee?
    The more diverse the group is the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mackjark

:) Scumlord, none of the things you mention are my cup of tea! I'm fortunate to have a outlet that is my cup of tea. It is, oddly enough often in a kind of shed. So I'm lucky that way. Something I tend to forget sometimes.

But I do see how something like that would beneficial to many men and it is to be encouraged. I know a few guys who it would suit. In fact one in particular who might benefit from it. I will be pointing him towards it.

mackjark wrote: »
    :) Scumlord, none of the things you mention are my cup of tea! I'm fortunate to have a outlet that is my cup of tea. It is, oddly enough often in a kind of shed. So I'm lucky that way. Something I tend to forget sometimes.
    I'm just pointing out it can be whatever the men taking part want it to be. If they're mostly carpenters it's probably going to go down that road. If they're all out of work electricians they'd probably want to get into more advanced electrical work. If the group is very diverse though with guys with lots of different skills they could do all kinds of things, combining the skills they have would allow them to do almost anything. Of course they'll all be learning new skill from each other or by having men from other sheds coming in to show them how it's done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its more a social outlet and release for the head. Skilled or not too many men sit at home and "think" too much, which is an aid to depression itself, get people out of men, something to do, someone to speak to.
    You would be surprised what this would do. The drink driving laws where lads in my rural area would have gone for a whiskey and a pint (and a few take too many, wrongly of course), to where they can't do it at all, need a new outlet, this mens shed sound fantastic.
    If you help others to learn a skill or you learn yourself, then its a win win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

TG4 Fri 17 at 1930
    Feicfidh Eibhlín Ní Choisdealbha an tionchar atá ag gluaiseacht nua, Men's Sheds, ar shaol na bhfear sa Cheathrú Rua.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

snubbleste wrote: »
    TG4 Fri 17 at 1930
    Feicfidh Eibhlín Ní Choisdealbha an tionchar atá ag gluaiseacht nua, Men's Sheds, ar shaol na bhfear sa Cheathrú Rua.

Need new glasses. Read that as "Feckin Eibhlín Ní Choisdealbha". :rolleyes:
    Translation:

Eibhlín Ní Choisdealbha sees the effect of the new Men's Sheds movement on the lives of men in Carraroe.

Worth a watch if you have an interest in men's sheds I'd say, even if you don't speak the language. It will be subtitled.

From the galleries on their site I recognise a good few of the people that are members. There are people there with a huge range of skills from all walks of life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They have their own website!
    *impressed*
    They do • Obair ar shean charranna especially for Biko

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, might head over with my cupla focal to work on the car :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The Castlebar Mens Shed was featured on TV last week too and they had undertaken some interesting projects. One was turning cheap ikea furniture into other things. They turned a table into a spinning wheel for weaving and lampshades into lobster pots amongst other things. The stuff they'd made went on a touring national exhibition called Folk Fiction.
    I thought they were surprisingly creative ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

I popped over the the opening of the Tuam Men's Shed the other night as my father was involved in it's set-up.

Physically it's two area's, a fairly large work-shop, fitted out mainly with donated wood-working equipment and other tools, quite a few nice looking project in progress and a second area, a cross between a library with comfy couches and a canteen with a very well used kettle.

The bunch of guy's there were very friendly and interested in each other, shooting the breeze and discussing just about anything that came up. They don't seem to take things (or themselves) too seriously, a good environment, stress free and very open.

Thanks for the great plug.
    You'll be surprised to learn that you've only seen half of it. We've a small computer facility (two pc's) on site ready for use, just waiting now for our broadband to be sorted. We've a fully operational computer suite (four pc's) located in rooms kindly provided for us by St Jarlaths (Tuam) Credit Union. We've also gotten some adjacent land from the Archdiocese which will be used for horticulture projects. Art classes are in the pipeline too. We try to provide as wide a variety of interests as possible and we're open to new ideas. More importantly, we're always open to new members so please check us out at https://www.facebook.com/mensshedtuam

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lacha

There are two Men's Sheds in Galway:

Oldenway Business Park, Old Monivea Road, Ballybrit, Co. Galway – Sean Walsh – (his number and contact are on the internet if you search for Men's Sheds Galway) – Opening Times Monday to Saturday 10.00am – 9.00pm

Galway City – Michael Tiernan (same as above)

There's a great documentary that shows what Men's Sheds are all about on b y u t v: Search for "Turning Point Men's Sheds"

Enjoy!
    Lacha
    (a female who thinks Men's Sheds are a wonderful thing, an important haven for men to meet and create and talk in a comfortable environment. Go sheds!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pretty sure there's one out in Ballinfoyle.

And I know I've heard talk of starting one in Doughiska.

Advertisement