Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard shortcut for a shortcut..?

Options
  • 30-12-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hi all, and sorry if this was answered here before.

I'm wondering is it possible to activate a shortcut on the XP taskbar by using either a pre-determined key press combo, or can a single key be mapped to a particular shortcut ?

Have a Local Area Connection shortcut to enable the wired connection with one click. Could that somehow be mapped to the keyboard ?

Thanks in advance,
    CaSCaDe711 ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Hi all, and sorry if this was answered here before.

I'm wondering is it possible to activate a shortcut on the XP taskbar by using either a pre-determined key press combo, or can a single key be mapped to a particular shortcut ?

Have a Local Area Connection shortcut to enable the wired connection with one click. Could that somehow be mapped to the keyboard ?

Thanks in advance,
    CaSCaDe711 ;)

From memory, I don't think there's a one-click way to do it, but you could create a batch file to use eg the netsh command to enable the connection (see here for guidance) and then assign a keyboard shortcut to that batch file as per this MS support page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Nice, will check those out. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PeterHughes

Another way I get around it is by adding the shortcut to the main start menu (the one that shows up when you press the start key) prefixed by a number e.g. "1.Google Chrome" making sure that nothing else starts with "1" and then you can simply press and release the windows key and then hit "1" and it will execute the shortcut.

If you have two shortcuts starting with the same letter it will toggle between highlighting each one.

Yes it is not a true hotkey shortcut but I current have 6 shortcuts setup like this and they all work well.

Advertisement