Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No landline. What are my options?

• 30-12-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi, I just moved into an apartment in limerick city and I'm looking to get broadband, but I don't have a landline. Does anyone know where I should be looking? I don't want anything too expensive as I'm paying for everything by myself. I literally have no idea about these things so help would be very appreciated. Thank you :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Hi, I just moved into an apartment in limerick city and I'm looking to get broadband, but I don't have a landline. Does anyone know where I should be looking? I don't want anything too expensive as I'm paying for everything by myself. I literally have no idea about these things so help would be very appreciated. Thank you :-)

Try any mobile networks they offer mobile internet sticks & 3g modems

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Just to add, I stream all a lot of shows if that makes a difference?

Just to add, I stream all a lot of shows if that makes a difference?

You could try for one with a good download limit,

I know wimax only give 10mb per month and I would say so do a lot of companies.

Three do these

www.three.ie/products_services/broadband/billpay-broadband.html 60gb for €30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Try any mobile networks they offer mobile internet sticks & 3g modems

They're usually sh1te though! especially for streaming video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

UPC not an option no?
    10GB wont last too long if streaming a lot and three broadband is brutal.

• Advertisement

areyawell wrote: »
    UPC not an option no?
    10GB wont last too long if streaming a lot and three broadband is brutal.

Guy says he has no phone line

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Don't need a phone line for some UPC set ups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

UPC broadband and phone comes through the same box as tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Dont sign up for any long contracts as Vodafone should be one of the first to launch 4G services during summer 2013 and these may be of use (or not depending on plans and coverage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Dont sign up for any long contracts as Vodafone should be one of the first to launch 4G services during summer 2013 and these may be of use (or not depending on plans and coverage)

All mobile options will put a cap on your download amounts so if you stream a lot then I'd stay away from this..

UPC is available in limerick so reckon this is your best bet and you don't need a phone line.

• Advertisement

All networks put caps on. It might be the case (although we'll have to wait and see) that as vodafone currently provide home fixed line broadband they may look at decent home 4G broadband options. Just saying what ever the op does decide, dont make it a long contract unless the package really works well as the summer may offer more/better options

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Summer is a long time away. Go with UPC if you can get it. Its basically Cap free, they don't enforce it. Mobile broadband is ****e

Of course go with UPC but I'd imagine if a landline is not possible then it's hard to see how UPC is. Plus UPC at a bare minimum is 45.50 euro per month which maybe too much

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Wimax have a half price deal at the moment btw. €27.50 a month for 10 mb broadband. Latency is mad though.

Advertisement