Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfering video from Sony DV camcorder to PC

Options
  • 30-12-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, looking for help & advice on how to transfer Mini DV's from tape to PC using camcorder. I have a sony DCR HC20E & have lost any discs that may have come with it. Looking to transfer to PC running Windows 8. I also have Adobe Premiere elements installed on PC. can connect camcorder to pc using supplied USB cable but it does not show up anywhere.
    Thanks in advance if you can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I have a similar camera - if slightly older - to that model. You'll need a Firewire or i.Link cable for transferring the digital video to a computer equipped with a Firewire port. Sony call this port i.Link, it's also more commonly known as an IE1394 port.

Adobe Premier should be able to control the camera functions (PLAY - REW - FF - PAUSE) once you have this cable.

The manuals for the camera plus links to the required cable are available here but you can buy the cable in Currys or Harvey Normans or in many online stores.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hobo65

Thanks Zener. My computer does not have a fireware port. ( I don't think so anyway ) are there any other options ? I do have a usb cable that was supplied with camcorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

To be honest I'm not too sure but I doubt the USB on the camera is capable of transferring DV at a good speed (requires a decent speed or the transfer). The cameras were designed to be connected via Firewire for digital video transfer.

Firewire cards can be got for about 20 euro or less at this stage, the best option for video transfer and control.

iMovie on the Mac could control these cameras 10 years ago so I'm pretty sure a firewire card on a PC could do it now !?

Check device manager to see if you have a Firewire port, a lot of PCs have included them in the last 4 or 5 years.

Ken

Advertisement