Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chainsaw and climbing health and safety tutorial!

• 30-12-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

how many things can you spot to avoid before this eejet tries to remove his leg at 32 seconds in?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Aside from asking the chainsaw to jump back and decapitate him at 25 seconds- the whole clip is a nightmare.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Very close to getting himself a Darwin Award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Very hard to see on the video what was holding the cut off tree up that it swung back at him. Lucky he did not approach cutting it from the other side as it would have swung to his head.
    Still it put me off a job facing off a few branches today until the weather improves, but I walked my ground and will plan shorter length cuts as a result of seeing this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

How about using a few strategically placed wedges? They take the guesswork out of where branches will swing or trunks fall. Make sure to use the aluminium ones though- not the cheapo steel things that some DIY stores sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The limb he's cutting was tied off to somewhere pretty much straight above him, so it was almost guaranteed to swing towards him when it was released.
    He (or whoever was 'in charge' :rolleyes: ) knew a little bit about what they should have been doing, but not enough to do it correctly, or to know that they DIDN'T know enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I think its safe to say they knew nothing.
    Its an excellent example of how a fool and their leg can be soon parted.
    My advice to anyone attempting anything like this as an amateur is don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Oldtree wrote: »
    how many things can you spot to avoid before this eejet tries to remove his leg at 32 seconds in?

Fliping tit this lad has watched to much you tube !!The sad thing is they are a lot more like him, each and every one give it a go chain saw wana bes has to be lucky every day where a accident only needs once to hurt or kill. They have been four deaths with trees alone last year alone in my county sad but true.

HSA chainsaw video (non horror)

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Your_Industry/Agriculture/FarmSafe_DVD_Videos/Farm_Safe_DVD_-_Chainsaws.html

"Tree felling must always be carried out by a competent trained person"
    never mind climbing a tree to dismantle it, like the fool above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Good job he crossed himself, before approching the tree, that was the only sensible precaution he took! Iver in Cavan

the question is did it serve to protect him in any way?
    I think not.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement