Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamie's italian kitchen, dundrum

Options
  • 30-12-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Was there for lunch today and my son didnt finish his pasta dish. We asked if we could have the leftovers to take-away, waitress said no problem, then returned to say it wasnt policy. I havent had this happen before...is this common?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There was another thread on here some time ago complaining of the same thing in another restaurant. It's so feckin stupid. I know I would have a very long row with the manager if faced with that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Don't know whether this would apply to the dish your son had but I've had that response before at a different restaurant. Was policy due to risks resulting from reheating at home apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

More of a Consumer Issue than one with Food & Drink. Moved.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

To be honest, I would normally take it up with a manager..we were in a hurry to get to the cinema, it was busy and I didn't really want to make a fuss. I just have never had this happen before ..have often taken leftovers home and wondered was this some new regulation.

Seems wasteful if not. I assume they just throw the food out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Very common. They're afraid you'll sue for food poisoning if you re-heat later on. They can't control how the food will be kept once it leaves their restaurant.

• Advertisement

Very common. They're afraid you'll sue for food poisoning if you re-heat later on. They can't control how the food will be kept once it leaves their restaurant.

Ok thanks..I understand that point ...but disagree its very common. We eat out regularly..have not encountered this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have never thought of asking the restaurant. With babies I usually have little pots with me, so I just take the food off the plate. We dont go out much though so I have no idea if this would be a problem.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I have never thought of asking the restaurant. With babies I usually have little pots with me, so I just take the food off the plate. We dont go out much though so I have no idea if this would be a problem.

Yes, I guess I could just take my Tupperware with me :) but I wonder how big an issue is it...do many try to sue!? I just can't see a case going very far here in Ireland..usa perhaps ..but can't imagine its a huge threat here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Surely the food is your property (you've bought it after all, and are not renting it like software), so you can take it if you please? Or is there some weird rule about restaurants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

They're afraid you'll sue for food poisoning if you re-heat later on. They can't control how the food will be kept once it leaves their restaurant.

Therefore substantially weakening any case brought against them, I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,086 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Surely the food is your property (you've bought it after all, and are not renting it like software), so you can take it if you please? Or is there some weird rule about restaurants?

You can take it yourself clearly - in this case the restaurant was being asked for a container for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Was there for lunch today and my son didnt finish his pasta dish. We asked if we could have the leftovers to take-away, waitress said no problem, then returned to say it wasnt policy. I havent had this happen before...is this common?

Similar situation happened to me in the ferrycarrig hotel in Wexford, never returned. Their loss as i'd be eating out in Wexford a lot of times whem I'm there. They told me it was a health and safety issue. I think it was an inability to provide cheap take away containers. Joke really.

That's exactly the reason we were given. My argument? - we can sit here for hours and are you still guaranteeing the food? to which I received a "dunno"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It might be the excuse they use but to me it doesn't sound very plausable. How do takeaways cope when alot of the food is reheated after it's taken home :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Sorry if you won't let me take it home (and therefore generally provide me with a cheap takeaway container - cos lets face it, it isn't that they can't afford the containers as a reason) then you ain't charging me for the portion left on my plate. I'll pay for it if I can finish it when I want to. Spech in some hokey expensive restaurant like that. But yea I wouldn't be going back. Plenty other establishments to give your business to

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

I worked for a group of restaurants in Dublin some years back it was their policy not to let food leave the premises too. The reason given was that the quality of food deteriorates after reheating and/or you may make yourself ill if it is not reheated properly. TBH, I always hated having to explain this policy to customers. I felt like I was saying that they were too stupid to be trusted to stick it in the microwave. Health and Safety gone mad....
    Subsequent restaurants I have worked in have all allowed it. Some people literally just want to give their dog a bone or leftover fish for a cat. A lot of parents might ask for an uneaten pizza to be boxed up or whatever. Nobody expects reheated food to taste the same as it would have when served up fresh.

The food safety argument is such a load of crap. What about takeaways (as somebody mentioned) or deli counters?
    I don't know why, as I've never had this problem, but it makes me very angry!

In the most litigious country in the world (U.S.A.) they actively encourage you not to waste food by offering you the food you've paid for and not eaten to be wrapped and taken home.

What gives in Ireland? They just throw it in the bin in their kitchen. What a waste. When I said this to the manager in the Ferrycarrig Hotel he told me "it's policy". Their policy sucks and they've lost a customer for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

I wonder what would happen if you defied this policy and demanded to take your leftovers home? What could the restaurant/hotel do? You have or will have paid for the food so it's yours. I suppose they could (and most likely would) refuse to wrap something up for you but if you did have the foresight to have a zippy bag or something with you, what's to stop you removing your food from the premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The food safety argument is such a load of crap. What about takeaways (as somebody mentioned) or deli counters?
    I don't know why, as I've never had this problem, but it makes me very angry!
    they usually have a warning be it in store or on the label that hot food should be consumed within 90 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have heard of people claiming food poisoning etc from the deli counter but the first thing the management go through is the chain of events from the stores door to the time it was eaten. I have never seen a successful case.

• Site Banned Posts: 28 Judge Weiner

Bring your own containers and there is nothing they can do.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    they usually have a warning be it in store or on the label that hot food should be consumed within 90 minutes

Easily done in a restaurant too - just put a sticker on the container.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

One of 2 reason's I'd say

1 - The particular restaurant don't carry take away containers in a bid to keep costs down.

2 - The particular waiter/waitress couldn't have been arsed finding a take away container for you.

H&S was probably used as an excuse to fob you off. You did pay for the food afterall (unless there's some little known of rule about having to consume all food bought in the premises, in the premises)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

pithater1 wrote: »
    One of 2 reason's I'd say

1 - The particular restaurant don't carry take away containers in a bid to keep costs down.

2 - The particular waiter/waitress couldn't have been arsed finding a take away container for you.

H&S was probably used as an excuse to fob you off. You did pay for the food afterall (unless there's some little known of rule about having to consume all food bought in the premises, in the premises)

Fair enough you paid for the food, you can take it with you but sourcing a container is your problem not the restaurants. Why exactly should the restaurant supply the container (aside from a goodwill gesture to keep your custom)?

Does your local pub have containers to let you take a half finished pint home?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Fair enough you paid for the food, you can take it with you but sourcing a container is your problem not the restaurants. Why exactly should the restaurant supply the container (aside from a goodwill gesture to keep your custom)?

Does your local pub have containers to let you take a half finished pint home?

Probably the only reason why they should IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Easily done in a restaurant too - just put a sticker on the container.

Deli food goes from the prep area into a marked container.

Restaurant food goes from the prep area to a plate - to a table for god knows how long before it gets put in a container. The restaurant would have to time how long every meal had been out in-case they needed to pack the left overs for the punter.

If you don't like somewhere that's aware of food hygiene I suggest taking your business somewhere that doesn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

jingler wrote: »
    I worked for a group of restaurants in Dublin some years back it was their policy not to let food leave the premises too. The reason given was that the quality of food deteriorates after reheating and/or you may make yourself ill if it is not reheated properly. TBH, I always hated having to explain this policy to customers. I felt like I was saying that they were too stupid to be trusted to stick it in the microwave. Health and Safety gone mad....
    Subsequent restaurants I have worked in have all allowed it. Some people literally just want to give their dog a bone or leftover fish for a cat. A lot of parents might ask for an uneaten pizza to be boxed up or whatever. Nobody expects reheated food to taste the same as it would have when served up fresh.

True but Ireland is not a country inhabited by people with a sense of personal responsibility. The general attitude is to sue anybody else if you have somehow been slighted by your own stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

dissed doc wrote: »
    True but Ireland is not a country inhabited by people with a sense of personal responsibility. The general attitude is to sue anybody else if you have somehow been slighted by your own stupidity.

To be fair we have some of the highest food hygiene standards in Europe, quite a bit better than the UK. Whether this is down to a claim culture (which actually doesn't exist to the degree people think it does) or not is open to debate. I can understand why businesses err on the side of caution though.

If you want to take stuff home carry around some Tupperware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

To be fair we have some of the highest food hygiene standards in Europe, quite a bit better than the UK. Whether this is down to a claim culture (which actually doesn't exist to the degree people think it does) or not is open to debate. I can understand why businesses err on the side of caution though.

If you want to take stuff home carry around some Tupperware.

+1.

Or stay at home and eat, or order a takeaway in.

Advertisement