Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast the movie of your favourite fantasy series

Options
  • 30-12-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

For me it would be Joe Abercrombie's books

The Bloody Nine - Mickey Rourke
    Glokta - Ralph Fiennes
    Bayaz - Anthony Hopkins / Gary Oldman
    Dogman - Ed Norton maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

This put me to thinking about casting the Malazon Books of the Fallen - it sprung to mind when I saw the thread as an 'impossible' casting storyline just due to the sheer number of characters involved. Then I had some thoughts as to characters from the first book (Gardens of the Moon) and folk I would enjoy portraying them, specifically:

Whiskeyjack
    Initially I thought of someone like Bernard Manning or Ian McShane because both, for me, embody the physicality of a character who was, lets remember, a Mason before it all started up. The problem would be that both are just too old imo to portray a late 40's, early 50's Whiskeyjack which has always been my impression of his age. Clooney looks the right age group but he's just too smooth and handsome for the roll, none of the current crop of action stars seem to have the right presence for the part....

Thus I ended before I even began on the very first character I thought of from the series - what do you do when you have to think of Dujek One Arm, Tattersail, Caladan Brood, etc? There's such a rich character portrayal for so many that it seems impossible to me to cast them all well (not even perfectly).

On the other hand cast the ITG from Excession with the cast of Spaced - done! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's not my favourite series but Maisie Williams that's playing Arya in Game of Thrones will be absolutely perfect for Vin in a film of Mistborn. Mos Def who gave a great performance as Ford Prefect in Hitchhikers Guide was who I pictured Kelsier as whilst reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Evac101 wrote: »
    This put me to thinking about casting the Malazon Books of the Fallen - it sprung to mind when I saw the thread as an 'impossible' casting storyline just due to the sheer number of characters involved. Then I had some thoughts as to characters from the first book (Gardens of the Moon) and folk I would enjoy portraying them, specifically:

Whiskeyjack
    Initially I thought of someone like Bernard Manning or Ian McShane because both, for me, embody the physicality of a character who was, lets remember, a Mason before it all started up. The problem would be that both are just too old imo to portray a late 40's, early 50's Whiskeyjack which has always been my impression of his age. Clooney looks the right age group but he's just too smooth and handsome for the roll, none of the current crop of action stars seem to have the right presence for the part....

Thus I ended before I even began on the very first character I thought of from the series - what do you do when you have to think of Dujek One Arm, Tattersail, Caladan Brood, etc? There's such a rich character portrayal for so many that it seems impossible to me to cast them all well (not even perfectly).

On the other hand cast the ITG from Excession with the cast of Spaced - done! :P

Yeah Malazan would be hard as well but for some reason I always thought Vin Diesel could do Caladan!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah Malazan would be hard as well but for some reason I always thought Vin Diesel could do Caladan!

Oh god no!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Vladimir Kulich, when he was younger and perhaps even now, would have been perfect for it :) (Brood that is)
    13thWarrior1.JPG

• Advertisement
Advertisement