Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia Visa

Options
  • 30-12-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all
    I am currently thinking of moving to Australia. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the story is with visas? i.e. how do you apply? How long does it take to get one? Are they actually giving them out at the moment? Do you need a job lined up first? Do you get a short term one first and then apply for a longer one when you're there? Do you have to do farm work stuff first? I am working as a civil/environmental engineer, with 8 years experience. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

you get a working holiday visa in 2 hours thru the aussie immigration website. stay away from usit , they charge way more than u need to pay.go over , get sorted with a job and approach work asking to sponsor ya. heading away to brisbane in 3 weeks, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Independent12

Thanks for the reply. Is a working holiday visa really that easy? How long does that last? And excuse my ignorance but what does it mean for a company to "sponsor" someone?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

there is a specific australia forum here...look that up and you will find all the information you need !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi all
    I am currently thinking of moving to Australia. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the story is with visas? i.e. how do you apply? How long does it take to get one? Are they actually giving them out at the moment? Do you need a job lined up first? Do you get a short term one first and then apply for a longer one when you're there? Do you have to do farm work stuff first? I am working as a civil/environmental engineer, with 8 years experience. Thanks
    I think you should do a little more research before you decide to move halfway across the world. Look at the stickies at the top of the page and check the immigration website www.immi.gov.au. you haven't said how old you are. If you are under 30 with no kids then you can probably get a working holiday visa which can get in less than 48 hours usually. You don't need to have a job lined up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Few pointers that could help you, mainly things I wish I was told before getting here (bit easier in bullet form)

• STAY AWAY FROM USIT!! They rip you off and when we got here (not knowing what to do or where to go) they were useless!! We ended up doing everything ourselves.
    • Get a bank acc, phone, TFN (tax file number, you can only get this once you are in Australia) set up asap either before you get here or on the day.
    • Bring a laptop with you, you don't realize how much you need it until you have to job/house hunt.
    • Re-format your CV (google aussie templates)
    • If you drive get your license converted ASAP you need to drive here, walking 10 mins to the shops seems a lot longer when it's 30 - 40 degrees outside. If you don't have a license but want to drive get the ball rolling to get your learner's permit (REALLY long process to get a full license here!!).
    • Try get a job before you get here or even interviews, a company contact, recruiter details.... In-Australia experience is nearly all they look for, your Irish experience doesn't go far here.
    • The novelty of being Irish is gone here, be prepared for some abuse either harmless by co-workers/friends or threatening by random people (doesn't happen a lot, but it can)
    • Bring as much money as you can afford, it's expensive here till you get working!!.
    • Go to hostels, pubs to meet people, it can be lonely if you don't make new friends (you might already know people)
    • Getting sponsored keeps you in Australia after your current visa is expired (it takes some time and there's ALOT of information required, hopefully you can end up like me, my company is paying for it, and my girlfriend), if you can try applying for a 457 visa, it allows you up to 4 years and companies prefer that to the 417 working holiday visa. As I was told by an IRISH recruiter when I go here "Oh you're on a 417, better join the queue with the rest so....."
    • Don't get any backpackers insurance, they're not worth the paper they're printed on and you will have to get medicare (like vhi) when you get sponsored.
    • When applying for a place to live be ready for between 10 - 50 people looking at the same house you are, be prepared to offer a bit more on the rent.
    • For the love of god get a private rental if you can, agencies will destroy you.
    • Depending what part of oz you settle in (you might not like where you go originally) if it's anywhere in WA be prepared to wait for nearly everything from food, orders, post etc they don't call WA Wait Awhile for nothing!
    • Get prepared to dumb down your accent and talk as slow as you ever have because a lot of people won't be able to understand you (30 is not turkey but there ye go) All Aussies think we sound the same (no concept of the counties and culchies/townies etc.)
    All I can think of at the moment, but if there's anything you're not sure of just pm me, I know how hard it is to make it here and anyone I can help coming over is no bother

Dean

• Advertisement

Few pointers that could help you, mainly things I wish I was told before getting here (bit easier in bullet form)

• STAY AWAY FROM USIT!! They rip you off and when we got here (not knowing what to do or where to go) they were useless!! We ended up doing everything ourselves.
    • Get a bank acc, phone, TFN (tax file number, you can only get this once you are in Australia) set up asap either before you get here or on the day.
    • Bring a laptop with you, you don't realize how much you need it until you have to job/house hunt.
    • Re-format your CV (google aussie templates)
    • If you drive get your license converted ASAP you need to drive here, walking 10 mins to the shops seems a lot longer when it's 30 - 40 degrees outside. If you don't have a license but want to drive get the ball rolling to get your learner's permit (REALLY long process to get a full license here!!).
    • Try get a job before you get here or even interviews, a company contact, recruiter details.... In-Australia experience is nearly all they look for, your Irish experience doesn't go far here.
    • The novelty of being Irish is gone here, be prepared for some abuse either harmless by co-workers/friends or threatening by random people (doesn't happen a lot, but it can)
    • Bring as much money as you can afford, it's expensive here till you get working!!.
    • Go to hostels, pubs to meet people, it can be lonely if you don't make new friends (you might already know people)
    • Getting sponsored keeps you in Australia after your current visa is expired (it takes some time and there's ALOT of information required, hopefully you can end up like me, my company is paying for it, and my girlfriend), if you can try applying for a 457 visa, it allows you up to 4 years and companies prefer that to the 417 working holiday visa. As I was told by an IRISH recruiter when I go here "Oh you're on a 417, better join the queue with the rest so....."
    • Don't get any backpackers insurance, they're not worth the paper they're printed on and you will have to get medicare (like vhi) when you get sponsored.
    • When applying for a place to live be ready for between 10 - 50 people looking at the same house you are, be prepared to offer a bit more on the rent.
    • For the love of god get a private rental if you can, agencies will destroy you.
    • Depending what part of oz you settle in (you might not like where you go originally) if it's anywhere in WA be prepared to wait for nearly everything from food, orders, post etc they don't call WA Wait Awhile for nothing!
    • Get prepared to dumb down your accent and talk as slow as you ever have because a lot of people won't be able to understand you (30 is not turkey but there ye go) All Aussies think we sound the same (no concept of the counties and culchies/townies etc.)
    All I can think of at the moment, but if there's anything you're not sure of just pm me, I know how hard it is to make it here and anyone I can help coming over is no bother

Dean
    Good post. Very informative. I'd just like to add a few things. You don't need an Australian driving license unless you are a permanent resident. You can't get Medicare if you're sponsored. Avoid getting sponsored if possible. It is one of the worst visas to be on in my opinion. Go for permanent residency if you can.

aido79 wrote: »
    Good post. Very informative. I'd just like to add a few things. You don't need an Australian driving license unless you are a permanent resident. You can't get Medicare if you're sponsored. Avoid getting sponsored if possible. It is one of the worst visas to be on in my opinion. Go for permanent residency if you can.

Unless you are lucky enough to get a place near your job, it's not esy to get around here (well perth) public transport isn't that reliable and if your standing outside in the 40+ degrees and your not used to it you will want a car then.

If you're sponsored you have to have Medicare or some form of insurance, it was one of the requirements because I had the "back packers" insurance from USIT and it didn't qualify so getting sponsored I had to get Medicare.

I don't plan on staying here after 2 years so all I need to do is give 30 days notice before I leave australia and then I can either leave or have 28 days to get re-sponsored if I want to stay.

How long does a WHV last?

Unless you are lucky enough to get a place near your job, it's not esy to get around here (well perth) public transport isn't that reliable and if your standing outside in the 40+ degrees and your not used to it you will want a car then.

If you're sponsored you have to have Medicare or some form of insurance, it was one of the requirements because I had the "back packers" insurance from USIT and it didn't qualify so getting sponsored I had to get Medicare.

I don't plan on staying here after 2 years so all I need to do is give 30 days notice before I leave australia and then I can either leave or have 28 days to get re-sponsored if I want to stay.

You can drive on your Irish license for as long as you like before you become a permanent resident.

You need insurance to get sponsored but the reciprocal agreement between Ireland and Australia is enough. You aren't entitled to Medicare on a 457 visa.

You don't need to tell anyone that you're leaving Australia. You just book a flight and leave.

How long does a WHV last?

Is that a serious question?

• Advertisement

Sorry..just checked the immigration website and looks like a year.
    I am a civil/environmental engineer with 8 years experience, will be 30 in May.
    Does anyone have an idea if it would be possible to get work in this area...in Canberra/Melbourne?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Most of your questions are asked here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170937

It's a requirement you read this before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SligoGirl89

Hi, planning on heading to Australia on a 1 year working holiday..think I'd feel a lot safer applying for a visa through an agency, as it's my first time doing so. Has anyone any advice on what Visa company would be best to go with??don't want to get ripped off..I'm thinking "go4less", they seem to be the most reasonable, has anyone any experience of them? would really appreciate any advice!

Cheers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cc181187

Hi, planning on heading to Australia on a 1 year working holiday..think I'd feel a lot safer applying for a visa through an agency, as it's my first time doing so. Has anyone any advice on what Visa company would be best to go with??don't want to get ripped off..I'm thinking "go4less", they seem to be the most reasonable, has anyone any experience of them? would really appreciate any advice!

Seriously just use the Aus government website for a WHV . If you've ever filled out any type of form (boards sign up) you can do it. Nothing to be nervous about. Agencies in Ireland advertising signing you up for a WHV is basically a scam IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SligoGirl89

okay, sure i'll give it a go so.

Thanks.

definitely use the Australian government, it's pretty straight forward, the form you fill out on the visa company website is the same form.

Stay away from agencies!! They are all smiles and lollipops at home but get here and they are useless!! Me and my girlfriend went with USIT after a firend told us they had issues with go4less and when we got here we got no help, their office here was in a backpackers hostel and the reps there were less than helpful.

Go on your own either through the Oz governemt or other visa sites (visafirst.com) as mentioned it is literally filling out a form. I would keep going about what to do and not to do but i'm actually in work now ha. PM me if you want to know anything that I can help you with

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I agree with the above posters, organising the WHV is as easy as it gets, absolutely nothing to be worried about. If you can't do that much yourself then I'd worry about you travelling across the other side of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Wizzy2011

What is the quickest way to get residency? I'm considering moving with my partner and our 2 1/2 year old, for a better life for our family

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I'm looking to go to Australia on a WHV at the end of August. However, I'm worried. I seem to remember reading in a different Australia thread here that there are only a limited amount of these visas given out each year. Is this true? If so, should I apply for the visa ASAP? I didn't see anything mentioned about this in the FAQ. Hope this isn't a dumb question.

• Advertisement

CM24 wrote: »
    I'm looking to go to Australia on a WHV at the end of August. However, I'm worried. I seem to remember reading in a different Australia thread here that there are only a limited amount of these visas given out each year. Is this true? If so, should I apply for the visa ASAP? I didn't see anything mentioned about this in the FAQ. Hope this isn't a dumb question.
    It's not true at all. Once you apply for the visa you have a year to enter Australia. So up to you when you apply. Usually the processing time is 48hrs.

Advertisement