Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a Ground Anchor installed

• 30-12-2012 8:40pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads does anyone who who can supply and fit a ground anchor? Need one installed properly. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

For the sake of renting a Kango hammer and an angle grinder you would do it yourself Zascar, small bag of quick dry cement...look into it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm sure I could do it but it involves renting a kango hammer and going to the trouble of doing it all, and most importantly getting it all right. I'd much rather leave the job to an expert.

Does anyone fit these in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

I fitted my own anchor on the house wall but it can also go on the ground. I got a Xena in Bikeworld. All you need is a drill andthe biggest the bit. No need to waste your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

Would you not give it a shot yourself ?

From this vid, it doesn't look hard at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGhSES3XOc0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Get one with a set of chemical bolts, the you'd just need a decent drill with a masonry bit.

Here's one that comes with the drill bit:
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/product.asp?s=x43Xcu301674&strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=71&CAT_ID=71&P_ID=133&btnProduct=More+Details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Think its clear he doesnt want to do it himself.....;)

Where abouts are you mate...might be able to do it for ya...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have one from almax. I got it at the same time i bought my chain.
    It came with a concrete drillbit.

Ya just drill down a bit. I cant remember how far.
    Then ya pop down a self expanding bolt and lock it into place then hammer a cap on that cut its way into the solid part as ya hammer it.

Solid as a rock and simple to install in about 10 minutes.

EDIT: Just noticed the one i have is linked above.

goodlad wrote: »
    I have one from almax. I got it at the same time i bought my chain.
    It came with a concrete drillbit.

Ya just drill down a bit. I cant remember how far.
    Then ya pop down a self expanding bolt and lock it into place then hammer a cap on that cut its way into the solid part as ya hammer it.

Solid as a rock and simple to install in about 10 minutes.

EDIT: Just noticed the one i have is linked above.

But if a little "BUSTER BRADY" had the time can you unscrew the main bolt with any large allen key?

If so its a waste of time TBH, as the little ****ers go through a hell of alot these days to take a bike.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

But if a little "BUSTER BRADY" had the time can you unscrew the main bolt with any large allen key?

If so its a waste of time TBH, as the little ****ers go through a hell of alot these days to take a bike.

nah man, ya can't get near the expanding bolt. once that's in ya hammer on a cap that's serrated and a few mm wider than the hole it's hammered into. So it's all pretty much one solid piece when ya are done. I will put up a pic of mine later

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks lads, I was actually in bike world and saw that almax one myself today, looks the business, and after watching that video it is actually dead simple to install - even I could do it hahaha :) Now to find it online for as cheap as possible.
    I also need a decent lock. I have a good chain but I'm not sure the lock is good enough - it looks like this. Are they rubbish? I assume I'll have to get something slightly better.

• Advertisement

When i got mine i went directly to almax and got the ground anchor, chain and lock in a package deal. The shipping was free too from what i remember. I got a free bag aswell to carry the chain on the bike.

Was all pretty expensive but well worth it. Ya wont get through that almax chain or lock without an angle grinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

[QUOTE=goodlad;82534264

Was all pretty expensive but well worth it. Ya wont get through that almax chain or lock without an angle grinder.[/QUOTE]

An angle grinder will stop at nothing really......best you can do is to make it as hard as possible for the scum to get the angle grinder at.... ;)

Yeah exactly. Basically these twats had a go at stealing my bike even though it has an immobiliser, they never would have got it started, they just cost me a grand trying. I'm scared they'll come back with a van and lift the bike in. It's in an underground car park, I'll just put it in front of a camera and I doubt they'll bother, there are easier targets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Sorry to hear about your troubles Zascar. Just got a new Tiger 800 and having the same worries myself (underground car park)...horrible feeling :/

I e-mailed Almax twice. No response...*groan*...If you find a place to buy 'em, let us know?

I saw your other post RR. It's a bitch I know. All you can do is a couple of locks and an alarm/immobiliser. Hopefully they will just go and find easier pickings. Nothing is totally secure, if they really want it, they'll get it. Maybe get the management company to put in a few more cameras, even fake ones over your bike.

Do you have gates on your car park, is it secure? I thought mine were, turns out if you give them a decent push they will open. Ridiculous, but they don't seem to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Zascar wrote: »
    I saw your other post RR. It's a bitch I know. All you can do is a couple of locks and an alarm/immobiliser. Hopefully they will just go and find easier pickings. Nothing is totally secure, if they really want it, they'll get it. Maybe get the management company to put in a few more cameras, even fake ones over your bike.

Do you have gates on your car park, is it secure? I thought mine were, turns out if you give them a decent push they will open. Ridiculous, but they don't seem to care.

Gates seem okay, yup. But I don't trust that they don't have a fob or an insider to let them in. Only good thing is that it's a small and awkward car park, and my space has a pillar going through the edge of it, and you'd need 3 or 4 guys (I imagine) to lift her into a van. It'd be awkward. Locking her to my 250 at the moment as I've no anchor installed. Yet.

TBH, I'll never be comfortable leaving it there no matter what's installed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Thanks lads, I was actually in bike world and saw that almax one myself today, looks the business, and after watching that video it is actually dead simple to install - even I could do it hahaha :) Now to find it online for as cheap as possible.
    I also need a decent lock. I have a good chain but I'm not sure the lock is good enough - it looks like this. Are they rubbish? I assume I'll have to get something slightly better.
    I use one of these and it is superb. The way it's designed means it's very hard to get a bolt cutters around it.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/oiz3sg302874/All-Products/Squire-SS65CS-Flagship-Stronghold-Lock/p-73-132/

Be careful though...it may not work on small link chains. Basically, you have to be able to put link A through link B, then fasten the lock onto link A so it can't be pulled back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I got a mate of mine who is handy with a welder to make me up one of these y anchors.

http://www.yanchor.com/

I put it in myself with 4 25kg bags of concrete so it is not coming up.

I think this design is the safest as the anchor itself cannot be damaged/opened whatsoever as it is below the concrete.
    Your bike will still not be 100% safe as the chain and lock are just as vulnerable as usual. But buy a good quality chain and lock and keep it up off the ground to make it difficult for the little ***** to cut.

The way I have my Anchor is that I have in inside on the L shape of my back wall of the house. So not only is the anchor inside my bike they cant even get at the lock as there is no way around the bike as its tight to the way in the L shape alchove. The only way to cut the lock would be to lean over the saddle which is not optimal at all and chances are the alarm will go off from the movement of the bike. The chain is up off the ground also....that is a key aswell, dont let them use the ground for leverage!

I just bought one of these http://www.hardie-secure.com/acatalog/Ground_Anchors.html
    it looks pretty good, and was reasonable at €50.

Thankfully the building management company have given me permission to put it in, exactly where I want it too, which is on a yellow box beside a wall, but it's the best place for it. They'll tell the clampers to leave me alone too. So relieved as I thought they were going to be dicks about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Good news that they agreed to letting you fit it :)

Now get it done ASAP and keep your bike safe from SCUM!!!

I just bought one of these http://www.hardie-secure.com/acatalog/Ground_Anchors.html
    it looks pretty good, and was reasonable at €50.

Thankfully the building management company have given me permission to put it in, exactly where I want it too, which is on a yellow box beside a wall, but it's the best place for it. They'll tell the clampers to leave me alone too. So relieved as I thought they were going to be dicks about it.

Delighted for you man....at least you can have a bit of peace of mind. ;)

Advertisement