Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Establishing a home practice

Options
  • 30-12-2012 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

I've been practicing yoga for almost a year now, and it's safe to say I'm completely addicted :) I usually go to classes about 3 times a week, but I'd like to spend a little time at home practicing as well, but I seem to be lacking motivation! Any tips or advice? Other than just, get the finger out and do it! :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Hi,
    Beginning your own yoga practice at home is the key for bringing the real transformational benefits into your daily life.

If i was to look back at my own yoga practice over the years, the biggest jump in the benefits that i experienced happened in the year that followed after beginning to practice at home.

The advice that i give all my own students is to start with aiming to practice 15 minutes per day. (Between 10 and 20 minutes).

Not to take on more than this.

But to make a commitment to yourself that no matter how you feel on the day in question, no matter what you did the night before ... or where you are, that you do those 15 minutes every day for the next 7 days.

And on the 6th day to make the same commitment for the next 7 days.

It may sound laughably simple. But this technique has quite some strength to it depending on your motivation.

Some people find it useful to practice to a CD rather than a DVD. So you could start your practice by following one or two practices on the CD, and then finish off by switching off the CD to continue the last on your own.

It's a long story why CD's are often much better than DVD's, and rather than diverting from this encouragement for you to begin your own self practice, you may find it useful to read the information at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/category/everything-yoga/home-practice/

I wish you well with whatever it takes.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Thanks for the reply, and link! I'm seriously lacking in space at the moment (living in a bedsit!) but I know that's just an excuse too. well new year, perfect time to start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SaraYoga

Well said, Dave!

Advertisement