Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has the recession really afftected you??

• 30-12-2012 9:57pm
    Site Banned Posts: 14

Personally I think alot of people are making it sound worse than it really is...sick of all the depressing talk..

You think its that bad,maybe its just an excuse for a minority

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's affected EVERYBODY in this country ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Yes. I almost definitely won't starve to death but everything else has completely changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

No, not really. I bit I suppose but all in all I've been well looked after.

- Bankers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I've had steady work during the recession. During the boom, well, at the end of it, circa summer 2007, I was struggling to find work, was even unemployed for about 6 months. Was even thinking of emigrating at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

I think people over estimated how good things were during the boom and now they over estimate how bad things are during the recession and are reluctant to spend money.Personally I have had a wage cut as I am in the public sector but my business is doing better so I am probably the same or better off than before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A lot of stuff has gotten cheaper so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I don't think it has fully hit yet, by the looks of things it is only going to get worse for the many, while the few will sip sippy stuff and laugh out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

About 2 k in wages due to taxes etc, 400 in bank charges, 1000 in mortgage increases, 240 reduction child benefit and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Definitely yes, you can spend 6 weeks doing a job and not get paid. fact of life. Lots of people in the same boat, extreme hardship for many trying to put food on the table and pay basic utilities.

2012, i had 12 companies i did work for go into liquidation, one example, i received €17.65 as total final payment for an invoice of over €3500.

As a result, i had to lay off all my staff, as the revenue are cruel bastards when it comes to paying my workers tax obligations, they will even send in a sheriff/ bailiff to steal your personal possessions to pay the taxes due, only a fool would employ pople anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Yep.

I can now afford to buy a house.. :)

I hope. I was hoping to pull the trigger 5 years ago.. Thank God it didn't happen. Kept my money, avoided squandering it, and prices dropped. I have to get a mortgage still, so not looking forward to that, all the scare mongering i'm hearing hasn't helped. Rent went up twice, and is about to again, so i've had to move a couple of times.

Shhhiiiiiiiittt.. The more i think about it, the amount that has actually fallen into a deep hole is unreal. I just depressed myself..
    Rent is a Cnut. House prices haven't "dropped"- They've just become realistic/normal. So the boom and burst did seriously feck me over, and it's still happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 anastasia2

Id def call the 6,000€ worse off per year in my case since cutbacks started, being "affected". Again not starving but struggling to keep on top off normal bills such as car tax insurance etc. Also where i could get a home loan for household renovations before(always paid back before time) , now its 100% impossible due to banks locking down on credit. Off course people are affected.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Personally I think alot of people are making it sound worse than it really is...sick of all the depressing talk..

Why dont you ask the minority who have had to emigrate ?
    or ask the minority who have had to say no to their children every day ?
    or what about the minority who have had cars and homes repossessed ?
    then there are the minority who have committed suicide ?

Just because it may not have affected you so much does not mean its the same for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I personally am lucky enough not to have been badly affected... therefore things are grand across the board, and all the negative talk is just exaggeration.

Allyall wrote: »
    Yep.

I can now afford to buy a house.. :)

As a matter of interest,have you applied for a loan and if so what are the banks like to deal with now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Thankfully I appear to be better off than back in 2007.
    Bought a house then and, despite being in severe negative equity, our repayments have fallen a lot due to having a tracker mortgage.
    We were also laden down with 2 car loans and a wedding to pay for in 2009.
    All that is paid off for the last year, I changed jobs in 2008 and am doing well there, as is my wife in her own job.
    We've saved like mad for the last while but can afford to have a few luxuries.
    We'll have to worry about creche fees next summer but we're certainly in a better position now than back in 2007.
    I suppose we fall into the category of those who have been paying off loans for the last few years and now have a bit of breathing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I brought in June, got a loan of AIB, no hassle house is in SoCoDu

Madam_X wrote: »
    I personally am lucky enough not to have been badly affected... therefore things are grand across the board, and all the negative talk is just exaggeration.

So because it does not affect you everyone else is making a big deal of it ?

Thats the problem right there, people who know nothing about the affects of recession on lives talking crap.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 darsheals87

good too know alot of people doing well

personally ive never been in a better position savings,better car,debts cleared but suppose it comes down too what sector u were in and if you had taken up an expensive mortgage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Yes, got made redundant, took two years to get a new full time job. Even though in a slightly better paid job now, deductions are more due to levys, tax, and PRSI changes.

Might soon though, be able to afford to buy a house, assuming I get job security.

Fuh Q wrote: »

Thats the problem right there, people who know nothing about the affects of recession on lives talking crap.
    you ever hear of sarcasm???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

From my perspective, I see my generation emigrated, unemployed, or if they're lucky, just churning but generally I've seen people massively having to revise their ambitions and plans to little or nothing. I've seen suicide as a result of the recession. I've seen my dad's business (which was also meant to be his pension) go up in smoke having been in that business since his teens.

All of this is not true for everyone but the recession has devastated my world, the world of my extended family and the world of everyone I know who doesn't have some kind of unfair advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

repsol wrote: »
    As a matter of interest,have you applied for a loan and if so what are the banks like to deal with now?

Edited my post. Nope, haven't gone through the motions yet, but i have more money now, (I've been saving for longer obviously.), and prices have become more possible for me. But as i thought about it, i'm not looking forward to the bank. I have no debts, no bad records, no bad credit etc..
    I have never been late on rent. Had one small argument with ex Landlord, when she was upping the rent, i wanted out, gave my months notice, and said she could keep deposit for final month rent. She thought she was keeping it anyway..

I meant (Before i thought about it), that house prices have come down loads, and my bank balance has slightly (not a whole lot for five years worth) increased. Meaning it was more within my reach.

It probably isn't.

WHERE ARE THE HAPPY THREADS? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

My annual two months in Barbados has been reduced to one. Disgusting :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

So what word would describe your opening post?

Fuh Q wrote: »

Perception is very important.If people perceive things are worse than they are it harms consumer confidence,so people save instead of spending which cripples business and costs jobs which makes things worse.It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.Everyone knows lots of people are struggling but the problem is that lots of people have suffered little or no reduction in income but they are not spending anymore.

Fuh Q, I was just being ironic.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    All of this is not true for everyone but the recession has devastated my world, the world of my extended family and the world of everyone I know who doesn't have some kind of unfair advantage.
    A lot of the time it's luck rather than unfair advantage, to be fair. I appreciate I am very lucky in terms of timing but all it is is that I have a full-time job and haven't been out of work. I work in a sector that is recession-proof. No unfair advantage there. I don't earn a whole lot either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I'm 24, draw the dole. Can afford to go out and get drunk on weekends and also drive. Life isn't too bad. Getting 144 a week soon to be 188 when I turn 25 but hopefully have a job by then. Got let go in August and finding it hard to get a job and had to move back in parents :mad: But hey could be worse. Something will turn up. Recruitment agencies biggest shower ever. Perfect for some jobs but they have hundreds of every applicants for every role

Yeah but I lost that along my business, money, cars, and friends.I almost lost my son when he attempted suicide and I will loose my house in 2013, just waiting on my wife to leave me now and life will be just great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Im one of the lucky ones, changed to a better paid job last year and got a raise this year. Working all through the recession and earned decent money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So what word would describe your opening post?

Stoopid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've seen my salary drop 40% (had to change jobs).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I work freelance and was averaging about €35,000 a year during the boom. Income for 2011 was €6,000.

So yes, you could say the recession has a passing impact on my lifestyle. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

repsol wrote: »
    I think people over estimated how good things were during the boom and now they over estimate how bad things are during the recession and are reluctant to spend money.Personally I have had a wage cut as I am in the public sector but my business is doing better so I am probably the same or better off than before.

Your working in the public sector and running a business outside that job?

I've seen my salary drop 40% (had to change jobs).
    Same here. But it has gone up thankfully. Nowhere near by the full 40% though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Madam_X wrote: »
    I work in a sector that is recession-proof. No unfair advantage there. I don't earn a whole lot either.

Define "luck", I mean.

Your fortunate choices are an unfair advantage! I didn't make bad choices no more than you made good choices. We all make choices but hell, if there's a huge recession on and you're grand and I'm not, I say you have an unfair advantage because you've somehow ended up insulated.

• Advertisement

RoverZT wrote: »
    Your working in the public sector and running a business outside that job?

Yes

cantdecide wrote: »
    Define "luck", I mean.

Your fortunate choices are an unfair advantage! I didn't make bad choices no more than you made good choices. We all make choices but hell, if there's a huge recession on and you're grand and I'm not, I say you have an unfair advantage because you've somehow ended up insulated.
    Unfair implies I have privileges that I shouldn't have. It comes across as quite bitter tbh. It was a case of pot-luck. I'm sure I've been unlucky in areas of life you've been lucky in. I don't doubt it feels awfully unfair, but it's unfair of you to personalise it.

aaakev wrote: »
    Im one of the lucky ones, changed to a better paid job last year and got a raise this year. Working all through the recession and earned decent money
    keep it that way haters gonna hate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Worse? What do you mean? I'm one of the lucky ones who has a job and is paying tax as is my wife. Our entire salaries go on childcare and our mortgage. We live in an apartment- in which we're trying to bring up our two little children. We haven't had a holiday in 4 years and while we manage to pay our bills- thats about it. I worry from day to day how I'm going to pay any bills that come through the door- and I worry for my two little ones. How do you make out that this is somehow 'worse' that things actually are? I'm damn lucky I didn't take out a silly mortgage- like most of my peers did- however I am in negative equity and am trying to bring up children in an unsuitable apartment with no garden or safe play areas.

What are you looking for in this thread- a bitching session- my situation is worse than yours? Is that it? I'm older than you are- and I remember what it was like in the 1980s. Bad as things were then- and things were pretty poxy, people didn't have debts like they have now. The country was broke- but people on an individual level, while they didn't have much, also didn't have debts.......

Things are bad- and our traditional safety valve, emigration, is nullified by the pretty appalling global economy- things are bad in most of our traditional haunts.........

So- things aren't so bad for you then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I'm lucky because my job is secure and the recession actually makes it busier but have had to suffer the pay cuts same as most people. I think we have all changed our spending habits and are more cautious when it comes to buying stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

With respect darsheals...If you personally have suffered no effect from this recession.... then you yourself, are part of a minority...the depressing talk, is heavy at times... but remember, the unescapable truth in all of this is, that the vast majority of Irish citizens, are not responsible for this mess... and the bank borrowings.. if your financial worries are few... be thankful...you might have hit a nerve with a few people, the replys are interesting though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Not really, oh I had to let the butler go :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

It has clearly *affected* the English department of Education nationwide.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement