Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copy files from OSX boot disk

Options
  • 30-12-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My daughter spilled wine into her Macbook.....It's dead !
    Her insurance co. will examine it soon to see if it will be replaced or repaired.
    Most likely replaced.

I've removed the Hard Drive and it's readable by using an external USB box from a Ubuntu PC 10.04LTS. Right now I'm copying files from the drive to the Ubuntu desktop. I'm using two gksudo Nautilus windows to copy. As I see it the files will be owned by user 'Root' after copying.

There are pics /music (inc. iTune music) etc.

It may be that when the replacement Macbook arrives, the drive will simply slot in ans work away.... :)

This copying is a precaution.

Will I be able to take the files off the PC onto DVDs to eventuaslly put them back on the replacement macBook? and will I have permission problems with them when I try to copy ?

A.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Anchises wrote: »
    Hi,

My daughter spilled wine into her Macbook.....It's dead !
    Her insurance co. will examine it soon to see if it will be replaced or repaired.
    Most likely replaced.

I've removed the Hard Drive and it's readable by using an external USB box from a Ubuntu PC 10.04LTS. Right now I'm copying files from the drive to the Ubuntu desktop. I'm using two gksudo Nautilus windows to copy. As I see it the files will be owned by user 'Root' after copying.

There are pics /music (inc. iTune music) etc.

It may be that when the replacement Macbook arrives, the drive will simply slot in ans work away.... :)

This copying is a precaution.

Will I be able to take the files off the PC onto DVDs to eventuaslly put them back on the replacement macBook? and will I have permission problems with them when I try to copy ?

A.

Rather than using DVDs which would take a long while and be tedious could you not copy them onto an external hard disk or a large USB key and move them that way? I can't imagine there being permissions issues once your writing to folders you have permissions for ie music, documents etc.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

As Yoyo says, just copy the complete "User/<your folder>/Pictures, Music and Documents" directory to an external drive and then copy their contents to the new Mac when you get it. Permissions won't be an issue.

Ken

Advertisement