Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds smashed window panes in greenhouse

• 30-12-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations on a green house that can withstand strong winds?

My mother in law has gone through two greenhouses in the last 9 years. It's fixed to a brick base.

The most recent damage consists of 10 broken panes of glass.

Any idea if the plastic window pane greenhouses are any stronger?

It 8 foot by 6 foot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are not really careful the plastic panes can flex and fly out - if its windy enough for that they can end up in the next county!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You get what you pay for, so if her budget can stretch to it go for toughened glass and read reviews online in advance of buying it. Then ask around a few gardening websites here and in the UK to see what people's experiences are of the particular models.
    Polydome have a selection of high-end makes and models ...

http://www.polydome.ie/glasshouses_search.php?maincatid=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Was it the wind that rattled & smashed them or could it have been flying debris in the wind that did it? Out walking a few days or a week back & was shocked by the amount of stuff flung about on the local GAA pitch after the storm ; at gale force any of it would have broken in toughened glass! Still far cheaper to replace the few panes than the whole greenhouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a green house that can withstand strong winds?

My mother in law has gone through two greenhouses in the last 9 years. It's fixed to a brick base.

The most recent damage consists of 10 broken panes of glass.

Any idea if the plastic window pane greenhouses are any stronger?

It 8 foot by 6 foot.

Have a look at these, they are made from Polycarbonate, and designed to withstand our wonderful weather

http://www.steeltechsheds.ie/products/greenhouses/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

martinn123 wrote: »
    Have a look at these, they are made from Polycarbonate, and designed to withstand our wonderful weather

http://www.steeltechsheds.ie/products/greenhouses/

They don't look that strong to me, the big sheets of corrugated could easily break I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

My original post was almost a year ago. She had decided to go with a polytunnel instead. It's going to be installed in January.

I assume you know, but I'll say it anyway, the plastic on a polytunnel will need to be replaced every five years unless things have changed?

5 years is very pessimistic. 10 years is definately reasonable and if it is drum tight as it should be and you take care not to puncture it you can expect to get much more than even 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I assume you know, but I'll say it anyway, the plastic on a polytunnel will need to be replaced every five years unless things have changed?
    7 years and counting on my one. Depends on the installation (base rails are better than the traditional trench method for getting the poly tight for example), and staying on top of any damage with repair tape.

I was referring more to damage from water and sunlight all plastics degrade over time.

• Advertisement

Proper polytunnel plastic is very tough stuff. Uv stabilised and heavy gauge. I've used off cuts for various things and you'd be hard pressed to tear it by hand if ou could manage it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

redser7 wrote: »
    Proper polytunnel plastic is very tough stuff. Uv stabilised and heavy gauge. I've used off cuts for various things and you'd be hard pressed to tear it by hand if ou could manage it at all.
    I went for the thicker plastic on my tunnel and its still there 13 years on. The only damage is where the birds see insects on the inside and peck holes but its not a major problem.

Oldtree wrote: »
    I went for the thicker plastic on my tunnel and its still there 13 years on. The only damage is where the birds see insects on the inside and peck holes but its not a major problem.

Do you know what the gage is Oldtree?

The one we're going for is 800 gage.

800 will be plenty.
    Just watch that you keep the doors shut and well secured when strong wind is forecast or it could blow apart. But apart from that they are extremely strong. What size are you going for?

redser7 wrote: »
    800 will be plenty.
    Just watch that you keep the doors shut and well secured when strong wind is forecast or it could blow apart. But apart from that they are extremely strong. What size are you going for?

I'll pass that message on. I think it's 12ft Wide x 20ft Long.

Advertisement