Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Site...again...

Options
  • 30-12-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/retail-development-envisioned-for-mart-site-1-4613537

More cllr rubbish talk. Have to laugh at the Green Party guy? What out of town retail has Kilkenny exactly??? A third rate retail park or two with a few Aldis and Lidls around the suburbs? Still major leakage of customers to to surrounding towns and cities due to lack of choice here, especially for value and choice. Carlow has Dealz, Tesco, HomeStore, Homebase among others that I often go to as Kilkenny does not have these. Simple as that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

mfitzy, oh please remember the tourists would not like all of these stores, so you have to accept we have not one major store, not even shaw's, you must shop in the expensive shops for the sake of tourists.
    Where the council is god only knows, it certain ly isn't there for the people who are going to pay the rates.
    Thank the Germans we at least have Lidl and Aldi.
    By the way Happy New Year to you and yours and everyone else, except those who do not agree with us. And big Phil disappear into ~Eurpoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I think the owners of defunct sites should be forced to plough them and sow grass. The sites are probably going to be that way until 2020 and likely well beyond that, and we all shouldn't be forced to look at them.

You see how onerous a task it is to get permission to undertake any building work - a house extension or whatever - yet those who own half built sites such as the hotel in urlingford or the hospital in tullamore are given defacto permission by their respective local authorities to leave horrific eyesores on display for years and years on end by virtue of the fact that no action is being take to remove them. The very fact that they are visible on google street view is testament to their longevity!

The site on the approach into Kilkenny on the Callan rd opposite the SOS has had a Berlin circa 1945 aesthetic to it for the last few years. Wouldn't like to have to look out my window at that every morning for the next 10 to 15 years. And If I did, I would refuse to pay household charges / taxes until it was sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Had forgotten all about that hotel in Urlingford. I guess with M8 bypassing the town I've no need to pass through....which kind of negates the need for the hotel when you think about it. What an eyesore.
    M8 is a super road though, Cork city to KK in an hour and half, such a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

mfitzy wrote: »
    Had forgotten all about that hotel in Urlingford. I guess with M8 bypassing the town I've no need to pass through....which kind of negates the need for the hotel when you think about it. What an eyesore.
    M8 is a super road though, Cork city to KK in an hour and half, such a pleasure.

you don't have to go through the town, it can be seen from the motorway access road

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

On the subject of that estate on the Callan Road, the fact that one of the nicest views of the city was wiped out to accomodate that estate is still a real shame.

The location of the old Lighthouse Stores on the Old Callan Road is another example of a real eye sore that should just be razed and turned into a green area.

• Advertisement

Threadhead wrote: »
    The location of the old Lighthouse Stores on the Old Callan Road is another example of a real eye sore that should just be razed and turned into a green area.

Yea, that's a mad one. I always thought that would/will be very viable if finished off. it's in the middle of a densely populated area with very little shopping/retail. There's nothing in that part of town bar housing.
    Developer must have run out of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

mfitzy wrote: »
    Yea, that's a mad one. I always thought that would/will be very viable if finished off. it's in the middle of a densely populated area with very little shopping/retail. There's nothing in that part of town bar housing.
    Developer must have run out of money.
    I think that site is NAMAed. Of course our government being transparent as it is I can't verify that, wouldn't want to undermine their attempt to keep prices up using taxpayers money.

The cattle mart site had a pond in it once http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,650937,656623,6,7

It's been a while but I think before the rail line was built there had been a quarry in the area too, I think became known as the Canyon. It was filled in as a dump before the mart arrived.

wow there, I thought the council were supposed to be looking after our city, it appears they are not doing much to protect it, so why spend 5mill on the high st, it still won't bring up to any decent standard.
    We get a load of cobblers that it will be like Princes St, in their dreams.
    They effed up the Callan road, they will do the same to the high st.

how long are we going to put up with these eyesores, Callan Road is disgusting, the mart site even worse, what about the old cash and carry, yes the hotel shell in urlingford come on we are not paying council charges to look at crap sites.
    Are we going to sit and do nothing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Are we going to sit and do nothing?

Yes.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yes.

202802789439635639_ox3ez2Aj_c_zps5c7d6e47.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Bitching about it on the internet works for me.

I did hear that Tesco are eyeing up this site for themselves but who knows. Prob a bit big for one all on its' own.
    I would like to see a decent Super Valu in Kilkenny.

in truth is there much difference between Tesco and Supervalu, price wise, since Supervalu copped on there has been a decrease in prices, their fruit and veg always seems superior to Tesco.
    Forget the 100% Irish bull, since the all Irish burgers turned out to be anything but, so much so I will not now buy any meat product from a supermarket, give me the local butcher.
    However we need something done with the site, Debenhams, John Lewis, any store with a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

road_high wrote: »
    I did hear that Tesco are eyeing up this site for themselves but who knows. Prob a bit big for one all on its' own.
    I would like to see a decent Super Valu in Kilkenny.

the one in loughboy is amongst the best run supermarkets in kilkenny in my opinion.

Me thinks you could be right about supervalu in Loughboy, it is quite a pleasure to shop there, the fruit and veg is always well stocked, what would they do with a larger store?
    Certainly those who live to the north of the town would benefit from az supermarket on the mart site, yes we know Dunnes are in the station more is the pity, but at least it gives some the opportunity of having a supermarket handy, there again both Aldi and Lidl and eurospar are near at hand.
    Funny no one mentions Eurospar in New Park, it looks well stocked and appears to have quite a few offers going and parking is free, I guess it is out of the way really.
    Getting to the mart site would be a pain in the preverbial with the current traffic system for anyone to the south of the river, pity those coming from the east.
    Have a nice day

the one in loughboy is amongst the best run supermarkets in kilkenny in my opinion.

Beg to differ...often overcharged for items there, especially those on "offer" and found items to be often short dated.
    i don't shop there anymore even though I like Super Valu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

road_high wrote: »
    Beg to differ...often overcharged for items there, especially those on "offer" and found items to be often short dated.
    i don't shop there anymore even though I like Super Valu.

prices always differ from supermarket to supermarket but my point was regarding how well a supermarket is run (staff, choice of produce , cleanliness etc) super valu loughboy is high on the list in my opinion. if you have been over charged , do u say it to them??

prices always differ from supermarket to supermarket but my point was regarding how well a supermarket is run (staff, choice of produce , cleanliness etc) super valu loughboy is high on the list in my opinion. if you have been over charged , do u say it to them??

Yep. Last time this happened last year I spotted it at the checkout (as it had happened me before, several times) and the hole place was held up as she had to go check the price down the shop floor. Not the girls fault and she was very apologetic. I dunno what it's like now but the place was notorious for it. Superquinn ran now by Musgraves and have to say it just never happens in there.
    There are some great Super Valu's around (one in Bagenalstown for example) far above the one in Loughboy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I see they've taken down that horrible boarding around the site.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Given the traffic in that area I don't think anything should go in there really as it'll only make the traffic worse

Personally I say put in a small carpark and turn the rest of it into a big park, city's can never have enough parks.

Open spaces are important and there were so many houses and apartments built with little or no garden space its good to have somewhere for people to go with kids etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Who owns the mart site?
    Is it the council?

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Who owns the mart site?
    Is it the council?

Not at all. Private consortium of the old mart and KRM developments I think. Little chance of it being turned into a park or such. They are not a charity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Glad to hear that obnoxious remnant of the septic tiger is finally gone.

Advertisement