Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever lost something sentimental?

• 30-12-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Have you ever lost something sentimental belonging to you?

(And no virginity answers please)

Today I realised I wasn't wearing my Claddagh ring that I have had for years and I knew I left it in my Mams house on a shelf, when I came back to get it, my mother had moved it and a few other things and now it is long gone. I have searched everywhere and no luck.

Has anything like this ever happen to you? Stories please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Marbles.

I loved my marbles, but now they're gone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the right to use sayings like Y.M. C.S.B and B.H.W.P,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

A cuddly pup with no tongue when I was 4. His name was Bow-Wow. He fell into a haybaler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

My scarf, made specifically for me by a former girlfriend. It was awesome and made from Alpaca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pray to one of the gods for its safe return

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Last year my partner lost the diamond out of our engagement ring. No chance of finding it. Long since gone.

Well months later I was having real bad trouble with the car lights. I tried everything to fix them, I even tried to get at the wiring under the drivers front seat.

And there, amidst the small stones, sweetie papers and sand, sparkled the diamond...

Hope your ring turns up soon...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bluemetwo

I had my purse stolen this year and in it was my dog's (who died last year) name tags and my favourite photo of him ( I didn't have a copy). The loss of these two things hurt more than the €300 that was also in it. I no longer keep anything personal in my purse ( I also no longer keep €300 in it !!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Pray to one of the gods for its safe return

I was contemplating doing that, kinda makes me a bit of a hypocrite though, but I would give anything a go right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

I lost a Simmental one day, found it eating the neighbours bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My gran.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I had a watch stolen from me that was passed down a few generations. It was given by my great grandfather to my grandfather on his 20th birthday, grandfather to my father on his 20th then from my father to me on my 20th. Eventually found out who had taken it about a year later, sold for about £20 worth of drugs.......it didnt end well for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Just one thing, a photo of my mum holding me when I was a baby, it was lost in a fire with many other things, I still remember it, the smile on her face (in shiiity color) but holding it made me feel closer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I found a zippo lighter under the bridge in the university in Galway. I'm guessing it has sentimental value, If anyone on here owns it you can p.m. me. You'd have to tell me what's inscribed on it of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Travelled extensively by motorbikes but my motorcycle gloves were the one part of my kit that came with me wherever I went. They had been a present from from brother after I started riding first. They were road worn and gnarly and super cool. I decided that once I was finished the last trip I was on, they would be retired and sent home for safe-keeping. Some Nepali bai whipped them off the back of my bike one dark night when we'd already had enough to worry about having run out of petrol many many miles from civilisation. There were a few hours where not a lot was said...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

In my wallet (probably a silly place for it I know, but its always been there) I carry a little picture my Mom drew of our cat. Both have now passed away and its a silly little reminder of them both that I love dearly. Over the years it became older, dry and a bit brittle, so a friend laminated it for me.

I was living in a tiny tiny town and was out and about (in and out of loads of different places coming up to Christmas) and when I got home was sorting out my bag and wallet and saw/realized my little cat drawing was gone :(:(
    I knew retracing my steps would be nearly impossible, and I'd been in and out of a market as well. I sadly said goodbye to it.

A few weeks later I was in the one newsagents run by a little old lady. As I was paying for my items, I looked down on the side of the cash register and there was my little cat propped up against it! :D:D:D She said it had been dropped just on that side of the counter and someone had picked it up and said it was for the bin, as she was about to drop it in she realized it was hand drawn and laminated - so she said to me that she had decided that it looked like something someone had been keeping, so if they'd gone to the trouble to laminate it, she'd go to the trouble of keeping it. I explained to her why I had kept it and she was delighted to reunite us.

So, lost things can be found and reunited with you again. And, likewise, one mans trash is anothers treasure. So, keep your eyes out - you never know what items you'll return to a delighted owner. I've done it with over 40 mobiles (at least) and had my own returned as well from an act of kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eannus

Not me specifically, but my father had a gold pocket watch that belonged to my great grandfather. He lost it one day and was upset for a while and felt really disappointed in himself. The other week i found the watch in our shed in the corner when we were taking out the Christmas dfecorations. My dad had lost it when he was moving stuff in and out of there. He seemed so genuinely happy to find it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

OP, I found a Claddagh ring once.
    I'm not sure it found its way back to its owner, but I hope it did.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38994151@N03/5361184441/

I hope you find yours again too.

I lost my baptismal medal when I was little. But that's ok, I got a nice new one of my own choice when I grew up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

A Cheese sambo on a train

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

My scarf, made specifically for me by a former girlfriend. It was awesome and made from Alpaca.

Only the fur I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

A gold Claddagh chain given to me by my brother for my 21st birthday. I had taken it off as I had a physio appointment and I thought it would get in the way. I put it in a small paper bag with something else in it for "safe keeping" and forgot all about it, took whatever I had in the paper bag (can't even remember now) out and threw away the bag. Only remembered the following day, I knew I hadn't a chance of getting it back as I had thrown away the bag in college but I still searched everywhere I could think off, rooted through bins at home, under beds, searched places I knew it couldn't be just because I was desperate to get it back, never did though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

A few years ago my mother gave me my wrist bands from when I was born. Put them in a drawer, went on holidays couldn't find them searched everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭SunDog

Meghoumm. This will be a motivational piece:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

OP, I found a Claddagh ring once.
    I'm not sure it found its way back to its owner, but I hope it did.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38994151@N03/5361184441/

I hope you find yours again too.

Mine looked like that one with a little green stone in it instead of a clear one. It's mad how much we get attached to things isn't it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A wife.

Affair - second attempt at marriage - she have affair again - goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I accidentally left my handbag at the airport last week and whoever found it kept it for themselves. My favourite wallet i bought on my first trip to Liverpool was in it. In the wallet i had a Polaroid picture of me and my boyfriend and random man took of us while at a radiohead concert in Berlin. Would love to get my stuff back :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Biggins wrote: »
    A wife.

Affair - second attempt at marriage - she have affair again - goodbye.

Sentimental?

A hurley that I had when I was a child that my uncle gave me. Didn't lose it but it broke in two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

FIFA froze. I hadn't saved in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I had a teddy bear that my dad bought for me on the day I was born. I had it for years and years and then it went missing. I didn't mind so much initially but my dad has lost his memory in the last year and it's hard to have conversations with him now so I guess we're not as close as we once were. Makes me wish I still had that bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

FIFA froze. I hadn't saved in a year.

In the same vein as this... A hefty portion of my thesis when my laptop froze. Always back up your files, kids. Not taking the piss, it had alot of sentimental value, I was proud of those few thousand words!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Red Hand wrote: »
    Sentimental?

A wedding ring, the love it represented and which was subsequently lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

My mothers silver bracelet in the Blanchardstown centre a month after she died :( someone must have taken it home. Hurts to think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

A white gold ring my mam gave me for my 21st birthday.

I don't wear a lot of jewellery (precisely because I tend to lose it) but chose to wear it out one night in Galway during the summer, scored some dude who's friend/flatmate turned out to be a raging aRsehole and kicked me out at 4am when I woke him after going to the bathroom.

100% sure I left my lovely ring and accompanying bracelet on the sink in that bathroom but guy completely denied any knowledge of it and never saw it (or him) again. Scumbags.

That'll teach me to drunkenly score and go home with a randomer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

TwoBirds wrote: »
    In the same vein as this... A hefty portion of my thesis when my laptop froze. Always back up your files, kids. Not taking the piss, it had alot of sentimental value, I was proud of those few thousand words!

Something similar happened me with a 3,500 word essay. It only took about 5 hours to do the first time but when re-doing it nothing sounded right and it pissed me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

My homework, I swear!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

All of my teenage angst ridden diaries and my english essay copy books from school. I had planned on publishing them one day....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Had a wallet stolen on me from work a few years ago, my dad gave it to me the first time i went to the usa, was 16 at the time. It had a $1 bill in it, as well as 60 quid in cash... didnt care about the the cash or the cards in it. Kicked up a fuss about it. A few nights later ,went to the bathroom, came back and found it sitting on the counter... minus all the cash except for the $1 bill...

Still have that wallet now, along with the dollar... nearly 20 years old now :)

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Our house was burgled years ago. My dad had a locked box with a some money in it but also contained a letter to each of my siblings and myself that was written by my mother on her death-bed. My dad had planned to give each of us the letter on our 18th birthday. And some c*nts probably chucked them in the bin :mad::mad:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

My favourite Victorinox Swiss Army Knife :(

Advertisement