Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus January sale EU 36 euro, USA 330 euro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I dont see the bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Not great value tbh, US Airways and United-Continental are doing much better rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Fares include taxes and charges and are on an each-way basis, when purchased as part of a return trip
    Very poor.

€460 rtn to US is not BA worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Another joke of a 'sale' from Aer Lingus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭dubrov

Flights that I have been looking at to Europe have increased in price since the sale began. Another typical Aer Lingus sale then :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Aerlingus sales are very dodgy, the last sale they had cheap flights to Orlando.. Kept an eye on it, for the dates I was looking at the flights where €1450 for the two weeks of the sale (same as the price before the sale), less than 24hrs after the sale ended the flights dropped to €1300. Thing is, you can book the same flights via united airlines for €1150 and the flights are handled by Aerlingus... If thats not an example of an Irish company ripping of Irish people I don't know what is, there's no excuse for charging more than united are..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

hmmm- these super prices certainly didn't apply when I just checked out a few possibilities for a cheap getawar for travelling end of March and returning start of April:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nortcider

nm wrote: »
    Another joke of a 'sale' from Aer Lingus
    Agree 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

From what I can make out, Aer Lingus are not that competitive on price on Transatlantic flights, compared to carriers like United and U.S Airways. Admittedly, it is probably a nicer flight on Aer Lingus (Probably better service and bigger aircraft, A330 rather than B757)

In their recent results though, Aer Lingus say they are getting high loads on their transatantic flights, and high loads means higher prices unfortunately. Put simply, if they are nearly filling their planes with their current price structures, why would they drop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think these Aer Lingus "Sales" are well known for what they are at this stage.

As has been said, they're achieving very high loads on T/A services so why should they start offering bargain fares if they can sell for higher? Simple economics and not a rip off by any means. Aer Lingus seem to be gearing their product towards the actual experience of flying rather than the A-B method Ryanair use.

Anyways, over on the Travel forum there's a thread where somebody sourced DUB-JFK via LHR for ~€347 return if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

We just booked our summer getaway to Orlando for next summer. AL were asking for €3,500.00 for two adults, two kids and another in the lap. Went with Air France in the end who code share with Delta. We paid €2,700.00. Go figure!

IMO someone has to plug the pension deficit that AL has racked up over the years, unfortunately for them it wont be us.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭infocal

Ryanair please take over aerlingus then we can buy 99e ticket to states....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

infocal wrote: »
    & free blow jobs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Careful what you wish for.

I'd far rather see EI subsumed by one of the traditional full service carriers - AF/KLM, Lufthansa or AIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

cson wrote: »
    I think these Aer Lingus "Sales" are well known for what they are at this stage.

As has been said, they're achieving very high loads on T/A services so why should they start offering bargain fares if they can sell for higher? Simple economics and not a rip off by any means. Aer Lingus seem to be gearing their product towards the actual experience of flying rather than the A-B method Ryanair use.

Anyways, over on the Travel forum there's a thread where somebody sourced DUB-JFK via LHR for ~€347 return if anyone is interested.

Any chance you could share a link? I had a browse in the travel forum and could not find it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

SMI wrote: »

Any chance you could share a link? I had a browse in the travel forum and could not find it...
    It is in this forum a page or so back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Ryanair please take over Aer Lingus then we can buy 99€ ticket to states....
    Forget it tbh, if you ever think you'll able to fly from Dublin to JFK for 99€, unless its some extremely limited promotional fare, which I can;t see coming from Ryanair or anyone else! :)

SMI wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82427560
    There you go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

i cant see much of a sale there was 100e in the price difference for a flight to malaga in april needless to say ryan air win :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

TingTong wrote: »
    AL were asking for €3,500.00 for two adults, two kids and another in the lap. Went with Air France in the end who code share with Delta. We paid €2,700.00. Go figure.
    Wow. That's a huge difference, especially for something like a family holiday where you'll be trying to get the best value you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Forget it tbh, if you ever think you'll able to fly from Dublin to JFK for 99€, unless its some extremely limited promotional fare, which I can;t see coming from Ryanair or anyone else! :)

"The Ryanair boss has made no secret of the fact he wants to set up a low-cost transatlantic carrier. Yesterday he said he hoped the venture, which would have no connection with Ryanair, would offer an economy class fare from £10 one way and would have a business/premium class with prices between £1,000 and £1,500. It would serve between eight and 10 cities in Europe and a similar number in the US including New York, California and centres such as Denver and Dallas. European bases could include London, Dublin, Frankfurt, Rome and Milan."

Fair enough it was 4 years ago and he has not been able to source the planes at the right price but the will was there to decimate AL's ripoff prices.

Ah if only Micheal ran the world ;-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Try using this tool to search for flights.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Very handy tool if you want to lookup routing and prices all in one place.

On a seperate note NYC from Belfast is currently quite cheap also:

http://www.holidaypirates.com/uk-ireland/flights-belfast-nyc-287-orlando-330-los-angeles-370-las-vegas-402

In the US you can get return flights from LA to NYC (4,000km) as low as $250 at times. Its 5000km from NYC to Dublin. So i have no reason to doubt that the flight can be provided alot cheaper.

Hogzy wrote: »
    In the US you can get return flights from LA to NYC (4,000km) as low as $250 at times. Its 5000km from NYC to Dublin. So i have no reason to doubt that the flight can be provided alot cheaper.

TAX ;-)

Try using this tool to search for flights.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Really good, thanks ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'd imagine you're dealing with so many variables between operating costs, regulatory environment and the market in which the respective carriers operate, so as to make a comparison based on mileage alone an unreliable barometer.

cgarrad wrote: »
    TAX ;-)

10% max depending on the state.

10% max depending on the state.

Exactly ;-)

cgarrad wrote: »
    Exactly ;-)

So $275 return. Hardly breaking the bank is it? And its still much better value than Transatlantic flights.

• Advertisement

Return flights NYC - LA for myself, the missus n kid are costing us €480 in April.. Slightly cheaper than the cost of getting to NYC in the first place ;)

Advertisement