Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP. Moving School during 6th year.

• 31-12-2012 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi.:D

I am currently in sixth year, and I am in the process of moving schools. I know this isn't the best thing to be doing during sixth year, but I can no longer stay in school because I am being bullied. I really have no other option then to move :confused:

Anyway, I was wondering does anyone have any good information on 'Ashfield College' or the 'Institute of education', Or would they be any good to move to at this time, or even if they're good schools?. Just general out line of what they're like.:)

It would be great if anyone from these schools could help. It would be much appreciated!
    Thank you :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are not 'schools' technically, afaik, once you pay your money you're in. Ask to see their anti-bullying policies and procedures in advance of moving.

What has been done to tackle the bullying where you are? In some cases, the bullying starts up again, no matter where you are, so you really need to address what the root cause is.

Make absolutely sure wherever you end up, that you are properly registered with the SEC to sit all components of all your subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

There are only a few weeks left of actual lessons. If I remember of the time my children were in 6th. My daughter got an agreement with the school to stay at home and only go in for the exams. I would approach the school first and see if they can help you before spending a lot of money and giving yourself maybe even more stress. Bullying is so nasty, stick with your friends and get some moral support.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Schools like that would be really ahead compared to normal schools cos obviously they'd have way less messers and time wasters so make sure you don't end up not learning parts of the syllabus. They could be finished the syllabus for some subjects at The Institute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

JB - that's really crap that you feel you have to move because of behaviour at your current school. I will take it you have attempted to report / resolve the issue. Too often schools do nothing in the hope that this Shyte will just go away. It is truely pathetic approach imo. The sooner we criminalise this the better.

With regard to moving - the ones you listed are fee paying afaik. I would suggest going and lay an ultimatum with your current school and get to work from home with the support of your teachers. If you have a PC / Internet access this should be feasible. Best of luck with the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭puddles and umbrellas

First and foremost sending hugs to you JellybeanX. That really is an awful situation and the last thing you need to be facing in your final year with the LC and everything. Some people are really really horrible (I'm showing restraint here but could resort to profanities at this point to truly express what I think of people like this!!!).

Anyways, to your question! I would advise against changing to a pay paying school at this point of the year for several reasons.
    1) as said before, you will be too far behind to catch up with where the rest of the class are with the curriculum. Many subjects may have 3 quarters (or even the full syllabus) covered by now! At the pace these schools move you will not be able to catch up.
    2) You will not get your moneys worth for the results you will get - you will spend your time struggling to catch up, and will not reach your full potential for the exams themselves.

MY advice would be to a) take the rest of the year out, maybe pick up a part time job or do grinds in some subjects (so you will still be 'in the loop') and register for the institute next Sept for LC 2014 (another year is minor in the grand scheme of things, especially when it comes to matters as important as your mental health)
    b) leave your current school with your principals permission in light of this situation, carry on studying away yourself at home and sit the exams in June - nothing ventured nothing gained.

Feel free to PM me re the above advice.
    Best of luck and happy new year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 JellyBeanx

Thanks everybody , the advice is greatly appreciated! :D Though does anyone know about these schools besides, the fact they are fee paying? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

JellyBeanx wrote: »
    Thanks everybody , the advice is greatly appreciated! :D Though does anyone know about these schools besides, the fact they are fee paying? :)

From posts here, I think those who attend the Institute usually sit their exams in the school they left, which may or may not be an issue for you. If you go there you might want to arrange a different school to sit the exam in.

Ring them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Soccer Mum Not!

Hi JellyBeanx,
    Just found this thread, wondering how did you get on? really hope it worked out for you. My daughers in 5th yr and I'm thinking of doing the same for her to take her out now so that for 6th she would be somewhat sorted. I'd be interested to see how it went for you. I really hoped it has worked out. Tx

Hi,
    I would have to say move now for sure!!

I did end up moving schools, to another school about half an hour from where I live. It was the best decision I have ever made. I was welcomed into the year in January last.

Though it wasn't the best from my grades, i was getting about 500+ points before I moved but dropped a bit because of classes not suiting .

For me personally though, i made great friends there and had the best time! I made it to nuim so I am very happy :D I would say to move now, it is very scary at first but believe me, most people are very friendly to the new kid. They will offer help etc. Eventually she will find her feet. Also another thing to remember is to tell her not to worry about floating between groups of people for the first while. It will take time to get to know them and to find a group that really suits you!.

I was only there 5 months and have maintained the friendships I made in that school till now.

Overall personally best choice ever. Grades wise, it too a lot of hard work and grinds to get my points (however I moved half way through the year). In hindsight I wish I had moved at the start of the 6th year!! :)

But go for it. :D as the new kid people will be nice and to say you are "novelty" in a good sense. If she is invited to any parties/nights out she should go it will help her settle in. Tell her to be friendly and open. I made friends with people in my school that I wouldn't have even approached in my old school because I was afraid.

Pm if you need any help or more advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Soccer Mum Not!

Hi JellyBeanx
    I'm delighted for you. Don't forget you made it work for you. I will definitely speak to my daughter and get her to read this (in a little while). If I had my way, I could like to get her out now and start a new school now - but I know she needs to get her head around it all.

Well done to you. You know the grades can always be improved on... there are so many different options to get what you want these days that I wouldn't be too worried about the grades. Its friends that keep you heathly, happy, and Sane!!

Wishing you continued success.
    X

• Advertisement

Yes, I understand it is a difficult choice to make! it took me two years of hemming and hawing because it is very scary to leave what you're used to. The loss in grades was nothing to the friends I made and peace of mind I gained. It is no walk in the park but it is rewarding. It is hard and a leap of faith and you have to be willing, but karma works in funny ways sometimes :)
    I really do hope all goes well for her, I know its a tough year a head of her, with mocks and the big lc looming over head . Nonetheless, she will be fine :)

Thank you, I am glad I can be of some help. :D
    x

Advertisement