Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun barrel floating..??

Options
  • 31-12-2012 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi folks..
    Should the barrel of a shotgun be free floating from the wood on the fore end like that of a rifle or should it be resting against the wood??
    I ask because i have a relativley new over and under and have noticed that the wood on the fore end is taking off the blueing where its touching the barrel..
    This is bugging me as Id like to keep the gun as mint as i can because it was a big outlay at the time but i dont want to do harm by making clearance where there shouldnt be any..

Any suggestions?? Thanks,, bob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

hrcbob wrote: »
    Hi folks..
    Should the barrel of a shotgun be free floating from the wood on the fore end like that of a rifle or should it be resting against the wood??
    I ask because i have a relativley new over and under and have noticed that the wood on the fore end is taking off the blueing where its touching the barrel..
    This is bugging me as Id like to keep the gun as mint as i can because it was a big outlay at the time but i dont want to do harm by making clearance where there shouldnt be any..

No it should not be floating. Not all rifles are floating either, no need for it on shotguns as on rifles when it's floating it improves harmonics and temperature thus better accuracy.
    Rub the barrel with oil or light covering of Vaseline, reason it's wearing is from dirt getting in.
    Don't go touching the forearm if you cherish the gun! It will damage value of the gun. Also you won't see the bluing gone as it will be very slightly worn under the cover of the forearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

hrcbob wrote: »
    Hi folks..

no the barrels do not float like a rifle should, however there seems to be a problem, the blueing should not come off that easily, it is obvious there is movement causing friction, this should not be the case, bring it back to the RFD you bought it from and tell him your concerns, no good going to him in a few years time and telling him it was like that from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

no the barrels do not float like a rifle should, however there seems to be a problem, the blueing should not come off that easily, it is obvious there is movement causing friction, this should not be the case, bring it back to the RFD you bought it from and tell him your concerns, no good going to him in a few years time and telling him it was like that from the start.

Ah that could be a prob as it wasnt new when i got it. I bought it with very little use off here,, My Game gun has the same mark on the blueing under the fore end though so id imagine its not realy a manufacturing problem.. It is hidden under the fore end when the gun is together but i would rather i could stop the new one from gettin marked.
    Id imagine that if its actually touching the barrel in any way, then vibration alone will cause enough movement to cause wear.

Advertisement