Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed regarding leaving a job

• 31-12-2012 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I really need some advice.

I got a job last summer by myself but the job was advertised as one thing and turned out to be three jobs instead of the one. I put a lot of work and effort into the job, putting in extra hours (not being paid for it - I knew this but was willing to do the extra work to better myself at the job), some of the Management were difficult to work with and it was an immense amount of pressure for one person, I wasn't taking my breaks and lost some weight in the process. It didn't work for me or the company to stay.

I am going to go back into volunteering in January. What can I tell future interviewers the reason for leaving the job? I can say that the location did not suit (as I depended on lifts as it was) but I just would like to be prepared when the time comes. Would be grateful for any feedback, thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Just tell them that the job wasn't as advertised, had to work night shifts, it was more of a secretary role than advertised, false job description, working 20 hours overtime a week, anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Thanks for your feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Get another job first before leaving the one you are in. Dental appointments are great for interviews :) Always esaier to get a job when you are working.

docmol wrote: »
    Get another job first before leaving the one you are in. Dental appointments are great for interviews :) Always esaier to get a job when you are working.

I know that it is easier to get a job from working but that doesn't apply to my situation as I left the job before Christmas. I know everyone will think it is madness to leave a job in these times so I don't want a lecture from anyone about it. I was only asking for feedback on reasons for leaving a job. Do not judge me, I made the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Oleander wrote: »
    I know that it is easier to get a job from working but that doesn't apply to my situation as I left the job before Christmas. I know everyone will think it is madness to leave a job in these times so I don't want a lecture from anyone about it. I was only asking for feedback on reasons for leaving a job. Do not judge me, I made the right decision.

Steady on, love, no-one was judging you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Not judging you at all, we've all been in untenable positions. Best of luck finding something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I really need some advice.

I got a job last summer by myself but the job was advertised as one thing and turned out to be three jobs instead of the one. I put a lot of work and effort into the job, putting in extra hours (not being paid for it - I knew this but was willing to do the extra work to better myself at the job), some of the Management were difficult to work with and it was an immense amount of pressure for one person, I wasn't taking my breaks and lost some weight in the process. It didn't work for me or the company to stay.

I am going to go back into volunteering in January. What can I tell future interviewers the reason for leaving the job? I can say that the location did not suit (as I depended on lifts as it was) but I just would like to be prepared when the time comes. Would be grateful for any feedback, thanks.

Regarding interviews I would suggest saying as little as possible while persevering with the truth.

If its a case you left around the time your contract was to be renewed - you could justifiably say that you took the decision to move on at the end of the contract to further your career

What I would suggest however is to say as little as possible about your pervious employers no matter what a shower of lovely people they were.

As open minded as most employers are (;)) it's generally not wise to provide a true critique of your previous bunch.

Present yourself in a positive light, with emphasis on your role and responsibilities to date.

I take it that you have an alternative to provide a fair reference? Don't leave this to chance.

Best if luck.

docmol wrote: »
    Not judging you at all, we've all been in untenable positions. Best of luck finding something.

Thank you :)

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Steady on, love, no-one was judging you.

Well, I know you can get all sorts of comments on forums.

gozunda wrote: »
    Regarding interviews I would suggest saying as little as possible while persevering with the truth.

If its a case you left around the time your contract was to be renewed - you could justifiably say that you took the decision to move on at the end of the contract to further your career

What I would suggest however is to say as little as possible about your pervious employers no matter what a shower of lovely people they were.

As open minded as most employers are (;)) it's generally not wise to provide a true critique of your previous bunch.

Present yourself in a positive light, with emphasis on your role and responsibilities to date.

I take it that you have an alternative to provide a fair reference? Don't leave this to chance.

Best if luck.

I would never say anything negative about past employers. The situation boiled down to the job not suiting me or me suiting the job. It was advertised as being busy but also included tasks for two additional jobs so it was falsely advertised. I gave my weeks notice and they had asked me to stay for the month until they found someone else and I said yes. But they changed their mind after getting someone quicker and asked me to leave at the end of that week (this was before xmas). They also said that I was very good with my notice requirements and I left lots of notes and a handover for the next person to be trained in. They did say that they would give me a 'great' reference but the person who did never got round to it and wasn't there the day I left! I don't really want to ask for a reference but I do as well cause I will need one so don't know what to do..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I would never say anything negative about past employers. The situation boiled down to the job not suiting me or me suiting the job. It was advertised as being busy but also included tasks for two additional jobs so it was falsely advertised. I gave my weeks notice and they had asked me to stay for the month until they found someone else and I said yes. But they changed their mind after getting someone quicker and asked me to leave at the end of that week (this was before xmas). They also said that I was very good with my notice requirements and I left lots of notes and a handover for the next person to be trained in. They did say that they would give me a 'great' reference but the person who did never got round to it and wasn't there the day I left! I don't really want to ask for a reference but I do as well cause I will need one so don't know what to do..

first off, I hear what you are saying that you know not to slag off an employer, but at the same time you have mentioned more than once the phrase 'false advertising'. This has quite a negative connotation and makes it look like you are accusing your past employer of dishonest behaviour. Now they very well may have been dishonest, but you don't want to say anything in an interview that looks like you are a complainer or someone who looks for the negative, or someone who has a chip on their shoulder.

So instead, as others have said, simply say that your contract came to an end. Whilst you very much enjoyed your time in that company and learned several new skills (list them) you decided not to look for a renewal on your contract as you were keen to seek out new opportunities where you could utilise your existing skills to their fullest and learn further skills. That way, you are making it look like it was a considered decision and one which was done in consultation with the past employer.

Also, very few places give written references these days - and the ones that do don't give much past the dates you worked there, what you did and possibly that they are happy to recommend you. So if you have a contact in the company then give their phone number to prospective employers. But as a courtesy give the referee a call first and give them a heads up that you will be doing it.

Given the fact they have said they will be happy to give you a reference I don't think you need worry about them saying you left early or anything. But to be on the safe side get a friend to phone them and pretend to be a prospective employer before you start going for interviews. Make sure your friend asks why you left so you can see what they say. That way you will have a good idea of what sort of reference they are likely to give and if they are likely to mention any negatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry I don't agree with the last paragraph there, you could fall flat on your face with that kind of action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

looksee wrote: »
    Sorry I don't agree with the last paragraph there, you could fall flat on your face with that kind of action.

you could also fall flat on your face listing someone as a reference without being sure what kind of reference you are going to get. Not much use the OP listing them as a referee and then putting a spin on the circumstances of their leaving only for the referee to blow it for them. Provided you are smart in who you pick to make the call, it's wise to know what you're dealing with IMO.

i'll give an example. I had a past boss who sung my praises. When I left she was delighted to give me a reference. I got through 2 stages of interviews for a job I would have love love loved! It was down to me and one other. They rang my referee who did indeed sing my praises. However she also dropped the clanger that she was glad I chose redundancy because she knows that I've always wanted to start my own business and she has no doubt that in a year or so I'll be able to do it. Dunno even where she got that from. But I didn't get the job. They said that this particular comment made them concerned about my commitment to the role long term. I did try to reassure them but by then it was too late the decision was made. I really really wish I had vetted her before offering her as a referee.

If you don't want to ask a friend to do it, register with a recruitment agent, get them to do it and ask for feedback on what was said.

I am taking on board everyone's comments and greatly appreciate all the feedback, opinions etc.

I don't see any reason why they should give me a bad reference or make it difficult for me to get something else. I believe the person they have now is good and I was generous with my notice as I said and gave extra notes etc.

I'd nearly be tempted to email the person in question (giving the reference) and give them the reason for me leaving the job. But I'm still stuck as to what reason to provide. It's hard to say the contract finished after four months, knowing that that was not the case - I'll probably trip myself up in an interview so I want to be as truthful as I can. I would not use the term false advertising as I seem to be mentioning all the time. It's a right ****ty situation I'm in but only have myself to blame - though I did make the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

What can I tell future interviewers the reason for leaving the job? I can say that the location did not suit (as I depended on lifts as it was) but I just would like to be prepared when the time comes. Would be grateful for any feedback, thanks.

" I quickly discovered that the job wasn't what I expected it to be, and I wasn't getting the kind of experience I'd hoped for. Once I realized that, I decided it would be better to leave and try to find the right job, rather than stay and try to make the best of a bad situation".

Advertisement